Our Love Affair With Saturday Morning TV Cartoons and Premier League Football

multi coloured swap shop 600x360 Our Love Affair With Saturday Morning TV Cartoons and Premier League Football

If you think back to your childhood, Saturday mornings were an idyllic time, watching cartoons and other children’s programming on television. When I lived in the United Kingdom in the late 70s and early 80s as a child, my Saturday morning experience included watching a TV show on BBC called Multi-Coloured Swap Shop with Noel Edmonds. It was an interactive show where kids would phone in and volunteer to swap their belongings such as toys and collectibles with other children throughout the UK.

When I moved to the States in ’84, Saturday mornings were filled with classic cartoons from Hanna-Barbera as well as Captain Caveman and dozens of other shows. I remember going over to my friend’s house every Saturday morning to meet him there before we went to our travel-team soccer game, and he and his brother would always be religiously glued to the TV until the very last second before we left.

Those Saturday morning rituals that many of us have experienced, where we often woke up early in excitement to watch the children’s programming, make me wonder whether they’re one of the reasons that many of us in the United States love watching the ESPN2 early kick-off at 7:30am ET. Of course, we’re all a lot older now, but that buzz I get from watching a match on television on a Saturday morning is the same buzz I got when I was a kid, glued to the TV set.

Does that ring true for you?

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Our Love Affair With Saturday Morning TV Cartoons and Premier League Football

1. CTBlues says:

I never thought of if that way but it makes a lot of sense. I was always up for Saturday morning cartoons loved the Real GhostBusters, Who ya gunna call!

Some sad news I saw today Pompey is filling for administration again and the FA is docking them 10 points.

2. Mark says:

I never looked at it that way too but wow, that’s exactly how I feel when I look back at it. I never used to care about watching other teams play except Man U because I didn’t like having to go out of my way to look up matches. Since ESPN started airing the EPL on Saturday mornings, I actually enjoy watching even the lower teams play.

3. Smokey Bacon says:

All due respect Gaffer but Swap Shop was sh*te. Tiswas on the other hand, now that was a show! Phantom flan flinger, Spit the Dog and Sally James among others.

• The Gaffer says:

LOL, but I was never a Tiswas fan, even though that show was very popular. I much preferred John Craven and Noel Edmonds.

4. Joe says:

wow- brings back great memories!

5. Jake I says:

Definitely, I love getting up even though I’m tired from the week to watch the matches. It’s the best feeling that can’t be described! Good post Gaffer!

6. Stacy Richardson says:

A wonderful thought. And yes, for me the Premier League has made Saturday mornings special again.

7. Yodster says:

I have moved to Italy within the past year and I honestly miss waking up at 6-7 AM for matches. I hate waiting all day in anticipation. Plus, 3 pts for Spurs is the best hangover cure ever

8. Rob says:

I often have to drink through the night rather than try to wake up for those early matches… then again they’re sometimes at 4:30 am on the west coast!

9. Christian says:

Spot on Gaffer. When I was young I’d wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch the Superfriends (basically the Justice League) and Scooby Doo on our local ABC station. With orange juice and doughnuts at the ready I’d quietly sneak downstairs and keep the television low so I wouldn’t wake my parents or brother and sisters so I could keep my shows on as long as possible.

As an adult now I’ve gone through a relationship where I’d rise early on a Saturday and keep the television low to not wake up my girlfriend and now that that has ended I keep the tv quiet to not wake my roommates. I’ve thought back often to those easy and carefree days where the good guys always won and Monday seemed a million miles away. Oh to be young.