Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

7 Reasons Why I Miss Living In Great Britain

sony dsc 7 Reasons Why I Miss Living In Great Britain

Some of you are Anglophiles, ex-pats or live in the United Kingdom, so I hope you’ll allow me this indulgence to write about a topic that has nothing to do with the English Premier League but has everything to do with the country where the matches are played.

I’ve lived in the United States for 27 years. I love the country, and appreciate all of the opportunities and pleasures it has given me. But while my body and mind are still in the States, my soul still belongs to the United Kingdom. I don’t miss living in Britain as much as I used to, but I still miss it. I know a lot of Brits living in America who hate England (or so they tell me), but sometimes it feels like that hatred is more of a badge of honor that they wear to validate why they moved to the States in the first place.

The point I’m trying to get to is that while I love living in the United States, there are things about the United Kingdom that I miss deeply. Some days I dream about moving back there. But sometimes weeks fly by when I don’t even entertain the notion. For all of the years I’ve lived in the States, my dream has always been to buy a house in the UK so I can spend the summers there and rent it out the rest of the year. But the prices of homes are scandalously high and the awful exchange rate makes even a small home an exorbitant price.

So here are my seven reasons why I sometimes miss living in Great Britain:

1. People. I miss my relatives and friends who get my sense of humor (few people understand my jokes here). In Wales, where I grew up, the people are a lot more personable than where I live now (South Florida). Most of the people I know here are very private, but I realize that people are different throughout the country, so that isn’t a reflection of the US of A in general. It may be more a reflection of Florida where there is no-to-little feeling of living in a local community.
  2. Vacation time. I love how most Brits I know love to travel abroad and spend time with their friends and family on vacation. There seems to be more of a sense of adventure, while most Americans I know (myself included) work too hard, take too few vacations and even when they do take time off, it’s usually for short bursts of time (a three-day weekend here, a one-week vacation there, etc).
  3. Food. The stereotype that Americans have about British food being awful is starting to become an urban myth. While different, British cuisine can be incredibly tasty. If I had to single out one type of British cuisine that I miss the most (out of many), it would be the splendid food served by the off-the-beaten-path pubs who serve up a mix of traditional British dinners (especially on Sunday) such as roast beef (with all of the trimmings) and various other delectable dishes.
  4. Less censorship. This one may be controversial for some readers, but I enjoy watching British television without having a lot of the censorship that permeates American television. I like being adult enough to hear adult language (without it being bleeped out), seeing nudity (without it being blocked or edited out) and watching adult topics that may be too controversial for free-to-air television in the U.S.. While I realize that Britain as a whole is no angel in regards to censorship, I do prefer that British television treats its viewers as grown-ups who are able to make their own decisions.
  5. Scenery. Florida is a beautiful paradise, but the southern part of the state is flat as a pancake. I miss seeing mountains, hills, castles, rivers and the beautiful green fields of Great Britain.
  6. History. I’ve always been a big history buff, so it’s no surprise that I miss all of the history that you can find lurking around most corners in Britain. The architecture, old bridges, historic buildings and the sense of knowing that so many civilizations have traveled the same land where you stand in that country.
  7. BBC. The British Broadcasting Corporation gets a bad rap from a lot of people including many Brits, but I love it. The quality of programming on BBC television is superb. Whether it’s documentaries, thought-provoking news or interview programmes or comedies, the Beeb still is a force to be reckoned with. It’s definitely not for everyone, but I enjoy watching most BBC shows and take a lot of pride in what they’ve accomplished (again, at taxpayer’s expense, but well worth it in my opinion).

Don’t worry, I’m not about to set sail back to ‘ol Blighty. But I do, at times, miss the country. One of the other reasons why I miss the UK is because of the sport of football. While I love watching games on television, going to see a game in person is a completely different experience. And, if anything, the part I miss the most is the incredible choice that Britain provides. On any weekend, there are 46 professional games being played from the top four divisions in England, and that doesn’t even include the large number of non-league matches (which are just as enjoyable to watch).

And before some smart aleck posts a reply in the comment to say “Well move back there, then,” let me reemphasize that there are a ton of reasons why I love living in America. I’m not saying that Britain is better than America. It’s just different. As the world has gotten to become a much smaller place thanks to satellite and cable television as well as the Internet, the physical distance between places on earth remains the same. Going to Britain is a completely different experience than being in America. While Britain is becoming more Americanized as each year passes, it’s still a different culture. And differences are what makes this world an interesting place to live in.

So, don’t take offense. It’s nothing personal. It’s just the opinions I have that are influenced greatly by where I grew up and the things I have experienced in my life.

Your results may vary greatly.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to 7 Reasons Why I Miss Living In Great Britain

1. David De Groot says:

Great post. And please don’t feel bad about your feelings. As an American born and bred, I can sympathize with a lot of your sentiments. I would however that you forgot a big one: Soccer isn’t as big as it is in Britain. :)

All joking aside, I am very glad that you are at least trying to promote a different type of humor here that goes beyond fart jokes and whatever else the poor sitcoms here foment. I love Top Gear UK edition and have you seen the move “The Trip” with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon? You may really enjoy it…

I think Americans could learn a bit from the Brits and we should be very glad to be able to host ex-pats like you who hopefully bring us to a better place than we would be without you.

Thanks for the great website and I’ll be doing my best to reform America a bit from my perch here in Washington, DC.

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks David. I’ve added The Trip to my Netflix instant queue. I haven’t seen it before, but I’m looking forward to watching it this week.

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks David. I finished watching The Trip this morning. I really enjoyed the British scenery in that one. A lot of people who visit England only go to London and think that the rest of the country is like The Big Smoke. London and the rest of the country are almost like two separate countries.

2. [OPTI]Madschester United says:

8. Easy access to Europe.

—-
    I feel you to my bone! Have been in the US (Midwest – Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan) since I was ~17 years old and still miss my homeland (Copenhagen, Denmark) for more-or-less the same reasons.

I do enjoy the big city-life of USA when I was in NYC or Washington DC… ironically, I find big cities much more community-driven (on a local level).

3. Jon Sharp says:

Good for you Gaffer,
    I miss England too. Heck I even miss Wales! (Llanberis in particular). There is something intangible about the country in which you grew up. When back in the UK it suddenly seems like I am on the same wavelength with everyone else – like putting on a well worn pear of gloves or your old jeans. Humour, TV news presenters, pubs and pub etiquette, how people walk down the street or behave in a shop. It all feels very natural. None of this detracts from the country where you live which for me retains a sense of adventure and the exotic. The US is an exciting and welcoming country. And, the more countries the better in my opinion.

4. tony says:

Also the way people dress up. I feel like in Britain, no matter what the season is, people actually dress up nicely in the streets. In America, every bloody person dresses up like they’re going to the gym. And on college campuses, it’s even worse. Especially down in Texas.

Speaking of sports, English sports fans are much more energetic than the ones here. People stand on their feet for half an hour and sing songs to cheer their team on. American sports fans munch on their pop-corns, hot dogs, and beers. Even the cricket fans seem much more orderly than the ones in the States. In English footie games, you’ll find the odd obese man, but in gridiron or baseball games, every 5th person will be overweight. And there is nothing in the States that comes even close to a BBC 606 Football phone-in, where you can phone in after the match about your team’s performance and give your opinions. Every town or city has at least one football or rugby team. In America, you only 30 or so sports teams for each sport in a country that has hundreds of cities. That’s why some people have no choice but to glory hunt for a big team.

You also coffee houses for intellectual discussions in London. In Britain, when people drink coffee, they have a high level intellectual conversation. In America, when they drink coffee, they talk about breaking up with their girlfriend or how to make money quick online.

• Cory says:

Sorry dude, but I feel dumber after reading that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but maybe some people just should just keep them to themselves.

• Cory says:

By the way, great article Gaffer….Very interesting & enjoyable read, was nice changing it up a bit. But as a previous poster said, the popularity of the game over here must be rough compared to back home (even though the tv coverage is top notch in the States, at least here in New York it is)

• Matthew says:

Cory, I agree your comments. Sometimes it is best to keep your thoughts to yoursefl. I was raised by an English mother ang grandmother but born in the United States. I last time I read being overweight in Britain is becoming a serious problem. Everywhere is different with all the good and the bad to go along with it. There are many things I miss about England, I spent a lot of time there as a child and developed my love for history in England, which I currently teach. A very nice story to read , makes a change.

5. John Mills says:

As a 30 year ex-pat living in Canada I miss some of the same things you do. But one thing I miss that you appear not to is English.

It’s travelling not traveling, and there is always a better word than ‘gotten’. (…”gotten to become” – please tell me that’s a typo)

I’m frequently irked by the misuse of ‘bring’ versus ‘take’, ‘come’ versus ‘go’, ‘inquiry’ versus ‘enquiry’, and ‘insure’ versus ‘ensure’.

I grieve for the loss of the letter ‘T’. The season that comes between Fall and Spring is Winter not Winna. This is a sentence not a sennance. The guy’s name is Peter not Peeda.

It’s Craig as in ‘paid’ not Kreg as in Kreg. It’s Dawn not Don.

It’s missile as in while, not missul as in who knows what.

Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb or mutton not beef – that would be Cottage Pie or Cowherd’s Pie if you like.

To my shame I do use ‘aluminum’, but for the sake of consistency I extend the dropped ‘i’ to potassum and cadmum and the like.

But one word that has definitely departed my personal lexicon is ‘lorry’ – such a girlie word methinks.

6. MUFC77 says:

Less Hurricanes in the Uk as well Gaffer.

7. MG says:

All I can say, Gaffer, is: If you want history, visit the Northeast or any major metropolis throughout the land. You will find extremely cultured people in these parts and tons of history as well (not as much as the UK of course). As far as scenery goes, we have our own version of the UK countryside, but the country is so large that most people generally don’t get to see it much. etc etc.

• The Gaffer says:

I’ve been to Seattle twice, and I’ve loved both of my visits. I’ve gone to San Francisco a few times but didn’t like it as much as Seattle.

The tricky thing is that my parents and in-laws live near me here in Florida, and my kids are pretty settled into the schools here, so it would be tough to uproot my family and move elsewhere — although I realize there are better places to live in the US than Florida.

8. Kate says:

Do you have any idea of the demographic of the readership of this site? Is it mainly American?

I’d like to see a similar list from Americans living in Britain, although I think we could guess what they might be!

“It may be more a reflection of Florida where there is no-to-little feeling of living in a local community.”
    I’m not being snarky, but why do you live there then?

My only experience of America was a holiday many years ago, but all the clichés were true: it’s more brash and in your face, but the people are very generous and friendly. Although whether this was more because I was a: a foreigner and b: female I don’t know. I’ve heard American visitors say they’ve found Britons friendly which isn’t our reputation, so maybe it’s a welcome stranger thing.

I can’t blame Americans for not travelling, it’s the same as if you’re married to someone ugly, the urge to stray is greater..

Again a very rosy view, I find the British very censorious, although it may be worse in the US.

The stereotype about English food is absolutely true!! I demand the name of those pubs, I haven’t found any. England must be the only country that can’t even cook its own national dish well!

Scenery: Huh?

History: Well the bits we haven’t bulldozed yet – Wembley anyone?

BBC: for the blank cheque of billions it receives, the product is rather ordinary

If you can afford to get into games. And the atmosphere again is rarely all that. Some American games outdo it.

My friend who emigrated to admittedly Canada, found the big difference is lifestyle. There’s so much more space and things to do: he skis, he sails, he rides bikes, he goes to the beach, he hikes, he eats out all the time (cheaply and well). In England his chief past-time was going to the pub.

As for the poster Tony. “I feel like in Britain, no matter what the season is, people actually dress up nicely in the streets.” “In English footie games, you’ll (only) find the odd obese man” “there is nothing in the States that comes even close to a BBC 606 Football phone-in” “In Britain, when people drink coffee, they have a high level intellectual conversation.”

Words. Fail. Me.

Hope I’ve made people feel better about living in the US. ha.

*Gotten is old English btw. And in England it’s win’er not winter.

• The Gaffer says:

The audience of the blog is mostly UK, then US.

I live in Florida because I like it. It’s where my job is. It’s where my family is.

Kate, it sounds like you live in or near a large city in England based on your points you’ve raised. I’m basing my points on living in the countryside in Britain, which is almost like a different country than the major cities in GB.

As for the pubs that offer fantastic food, there are a ton in Wales and near the England/Wales border. You have to seek them out and you’ll find them near you, I’m sure.

9. Bentley says:

I must say that i miss the Sundays in Manchester with my family round the table eating the roast that they woke up at 6 to start cooking and didn’t pull it out of the oven until you could slurp it up with a straw. And mutton. Where the hell is the mutton?

The way me and my friends would talk, the names we called each other.

The hills and green countryside of the north was the best. And the locals, if you could understand them, were great people.

Florida just isn’t the same Gaff. Too many mozzies. And Americans sure do love their Halloween.

10. tony says:

it rains a lot in Britain and yet the people are positive about the weather. Americans always complain when it’s cold and get depressed when it starts raining. So temperamental.

As for the footie games, in England, you can walk to your football ground with the rest of the supporters without needing a car. In America, people have to drive all the way to downtown to watch their team play because the public transport in most cities is of poor quality. Perhaps the only places where people don’t need a car is New York. Plus, people here are so fat on average that they probably wouldn’t be able to make the 10 minute journey to their football ground.

All American cities look the same. A McDonald’s here. A gas station there. A motel there. So spread out yet so much wasteland. Come to Houston Texas and you’ll know what I’m talking about. English cities have much more history and the buildings and houses look so much more old and quaint that they put most pollution-infested cities with the same generic houses and offices over here to shame.

As far as the news is concerned, BBC is of MUCH BETTER Quality than any US news media channel. If you watched CNN or FOX or NBC or whatever, you’d question whether there is any other country on Earth besides the US of A. When you watch BBC, you know what’s happening in every corner of the world.

11. Chris S says:

As an English man I can assure you that if you moved back to the UK you’d end up pining for some of the things that you take for granted in America.

You mentioned one here, the price of property. Well you can add the price of just about everything to that. Americans take for granted the low cost of goods and services, and are always startled by the prices when they travel abroad.

This little island is very crowded, the traffic will drive you bonkers. Hence everything is smaller, houses, cars, streets, food portions etc.

The weather. Why do so many Brits go to Florida. Yeah you get the odd Hurricane, but the cool, cloudy skies can get quite depressing sometimes. Especially after the awful summer we’ve just experienced.

The comment above mentions how all American cities look the same. Well Starbucks, Subway and McD’s have already taken over the country. You might just wonder if you’ve actually left America at all.

• The Gaffer says:

Chris, I agree with you. The grass is always greener on the other side. But I’m a firm believer in that there is no perfect place to live. Everywhere is different and has good and bad attributes.

I’m basing my article and my experiences on living in the countryside of Wales, away from the traffic congestion, tight spaces and commercialization of American fast food chains.

Yes, Britain is very expensive, but prices in America have shot up. My relatives from Wales were here in Florida earlier this year and they couldn’t believe how the prices for certain things like electronics, clothes and food weren’t cheap anymore. Once they worked out the exchange rate, the prices for many of the items were about the same price in the UK.

Inflation in the United States have increased a lot of the staple items that used to be much cheaper. The US isn’t the bargain that it used to be. The cost of living has increased while pay has been cut for many, while others have received no pay increase or a very small one at that.

12. Guy says:

12 reasons we have visited Scotland twice in three years: History, history, history; food, food, food; scotch, scotch, scotch; people, people, people. :-)

13. disillusioned with america says:

this article has made me think quite a lot, u know??? about 3 years, i was what u would call a typical american who had no clue about English football or English culture in general. I would have the same stupid stereotypes about Brits that their teeth are yellow, food is bland, weather is awful. but that’s an American thing. If you ask people around the world, which country they have more respect for between UK and USA, then it’s UK. I think the UK is much more sophisticated than the USA. 3 years ago, I would have substituted England for Great Britain, without realizing that Scotland and Wales are part of it too. I would have thought that there is nothing bigger in the world than America. I would never have started watching the Premier League and the sport of football I’m in bed with now. 3 years ago, I would have taken the Super Bowl and World Series as serious sporting events without knowing that the Champions League is, who AC Milan, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Liverpool or Bayern Munich are. Of course I would watch the World Cup but I had a very detached American P.O.V. about soccer. Now I realize that more people in the care about what time Barcelona or Manchester United will play than they will ever care to watch a third-rate Superbowl. The fact that most people around the world would wake up during odd hours of the morning or night to watch a regular league match taking place in England rather than the Super Bowl shows which country out of the two the world admires more.

But besides sports, there are other things because of which I look upon Britain with such admiration and upon the country I live in with such disdain. As far as history is concerned, you’re spot on, Gaffer. Not only does Britain and the island of Ireland have so much history, they’re surrounded by Old World countries, such as Europe, and Europe is close to Asia and Africa. So much history and culture on that side of the Atlantic. Some football clubs in England were founded when America was fighting a civil war. That’s how much more history the British isles have than the Yanks!! May it stay that way. Message to English people on the other side of the Atlantic, it’s your duty to preserve your English identity. don’t let yourself become Americanized or you’ll be finished as a civilization. Keep England the way it is! FGS, you used to rule America. It’s time to show who the boss is!!! I wish Americans would learn from the British how dress more modestly and be more chilled out. Americans are so freaking stressed all the time and complain about boyfriend problems. I wish my family had immigrated to the UK instead of the USA. That way I would be closer to home country instead of 10,000 miles away.

14. Spenser says:

All excellent reasons, I would love to live in the UK at some point. Loved a lot of what I saw, had a great time. And being able to attend Prem games regularly would be a spectacular reason!

15. The Gaffer says:

By the way, the photo at the top of the article is Carreg Cennen Castle, which is a few miles from where I grew up in Wales.

16. jtm371 says:

no problem at all with your post.4,5*,6 agree with you only with 5 we have all that except the castle’s.i would love to go to the UK for the history and to go to a match at City Ground with that clue you know it will be a very long season.no reason to turn your back on your birthplace or customs.CHEERS!

17. trickybrkn says:

1. family is one thing, but don’t walk through a town centre after pub closing… you might get stabbed cause you looked at someone the wrong way.
    2. did you watch one too many Carry On films? reality, caravans by the cold sea or http://youtu.be/WDswiT87oo8
    3. most British people eat Indian, American fast food (KFC McDonalds) fish and chip.. Britain is one of the most obese counties in the planet, more so then the US.
    4. The BBC is amazing, and they are being defunded by the Tories, Still the model of a news organization. Then you have the tabloid press. a wash. I’ll take the NY Times.
    5. get out of Florida. America has some of the most beautiful vistas in the world. Wanna see castles, go to DisneyWorld. Besides if you go onto the wrong pasture in England, you may well get shot… well you can say the same about the US but…
    6. you live in Florida… come up north. We have buildings from the 1600′s. I actually live on a patch of land that was the scene of a revolutionary battle… Not quite Roman ruins but…
    7. We have Hulu, and BBC America and we can choose between services. I have the Dish services, FiOS, cable, a cable news network for all ends of the political spectrum as long as its in the middle and then there’s FoxNews. Its a lot cheaper the BskyB… but we have NO RED BUTTON. the reason we win in the US…. uknova.

I may well retire to England. But this is perhaps the lowest of the low of British culture. My wife is English, we have many friends and family there… Wouldn’t you want to visit the Yank and Pull Pub in Dorset. NFL on Sunday. MLB every night … The mouthy me. and then there is the wife…. so yeah. maybe. or we could do the same thing in the Catskills. but that is a long long way away.

18. trim says:

i don’t know. You see, I’m from a country that was colonized by Britain(Pakistan). Lots of my compatriots live over in the UK and they seem to love it, otherwise they wouldn’t migrate there. I have lots of family there as well. I live in the US but I would love to visit the Isles and I don’t have any pre-conceived notions of Britain, such as all Britons have yellow teeth and are pale-skinned, fish and chips is horrible, the weather is depressing, the housing is cramped, etc. Those are American stereotypes of British people and sadly, other people are influenced by these same stereotypes as well.

Some one pointed out that obesity is more in the UK than in the USA, which is preposterous. the UK is catching up with the USA, but Britons walk and cycle more on average than Americans. And I live in a college town where almost everyone bikes to campus and yet, I realize that outside of college, a sizable portion of Americans are overweight and couldn’t be bothered to ride a bike if you gave them an incentive to.

• Matthew says:

Just as you accuse people of making stereotypes of the British are you doing the same with Americans? I live on the west coast and people are far more active than in the southeast or northeast. I think you make an error in generalizing about exercising habits of all Americans. Laziness isn’t limited to one’s nation. I would re-think your position.

• trim says:

I didn’t man to offend you. I myself live in America and love this country. and you’re right people on the Pacific Coast and Atlantic Coast are generally more active than those in the middle of America with what not, surfing, swimming, beaches, etc. But I also acknowledged that obesity is growing in the UK and also in other parts of the world where you have all these fast-food chains popping up.

19. Matthew says:

I think you right about obesity and fast food chains, it is just awful. I am from the south and I am shocked everytime I go there in seeing the obesity problem continue to grow. Look at Japan they were always considered a healthy people but they obesity issues as well. I wasn’t offended at all. I thought I would just point that out. Always good to hear what others have to say.

20. Pete says:

Britain is a both a beautiful place to live and a horrible place to live. Like most countries it depends on where you live and what you can afford

I live in a little village in the North West of England and it’s a nice quiet place to live but I don’t need to travel more than 10 miles to be in a place where you wouldn’t want to let your dog sleep

For me it’s too overcrowded, 50 million people live in England and when you consider that it’s smaller than Florida in size, it should give you some idea of the problem

• taimur says:

the reason that everything is so spacious in America and why everything seems so cramped in Britain has to do with both size and history. America is humungous in size and has a lot of land that you could build things upon. Hence housing and fuel costs and other stuff is very cheap. come to Texas and you’ll find the PERFECT example. It’s different living on an island the size of Texas with more twice as many people and cities that are mostly built upon. The positives of living in such cities is that they are more pedestrian-friendly, although with Americanization, that may unfortunately be subject to change. In English towns, you can walk from your house to within a radius of 10-15 miles and see lots of old buildings like pubs, taverns, coffee shops. and the streets are narrower. Try doing that in Houston or Dallas and you’ll only come across houses in your neighborhood that look exactly like your house. You’ll have to take your car to go to a coffee shop. Look at Manhattan. Very old and settled island with crowded population and hardly any space to build upon. It’s very expensive because the demand is huge in terms of population and supply is, for all practical purposes, fixed.

21. Rebxrn says:

Comedy, Real Football, Kebabs.

22. HighCaper says:

I know that I’m joining a rather old chat but unfortunately I’ve only just come across it.

To Gaffer, what a lovely account of living in the countryside of England. Thank you for putting my own feelings of England into well constructed words.

For the past 23 years I have lived in South Africa but still miss my beautiful home town in the Peak District of Detbyshire very very much. South Africa is frought with extreme amounts of violent crime, man eating mosquitoes, an ever increasing cost of living and blistering heat that can strip a Lilly white Brit of 2 layers of skin. I chose to live in SA because in between all the bad and annoying aspects of being here there are other aspects that are wonderful. One day I will return home and go for regular walks in the beautiful countryside, regardless of wether it’s raining or not, and on the way home I will call into a village pub for a home cooked meal.

In response to all the other posts on this conversation…. Everyone who has taken the time to comment on this conversation is most definitely entitled to their own opinion but it seems that a lot of you are missing the point of Gaffers original posting. He’s simply saying what HE misses without necessarily slagging off anything, anywhere or anyone. There are obese people all over the world, grammar is being lost worldwide with the invention of smart phones and food can be tasty or bland depending on who’s cooking it.

All I can say is that we should be happy with our choices.

Thank you Gaffer.

23. lu says:

Wow i can really relate to this post, i moved to the states (south florida) about 15 years ago, i was 14 at the time and didn’t have much choice in the matter. I think about moving back all the time. It’s easy for people to say :your not missing anything” but unless somebody has actually left their own country and moved to a new one, they don’t understand. No matter how many years go by, home is where the heart is. What i miss the most is the seasons, In florida the only seasons we get are : summer, hurricane season and rain season. I miss all the greenery and the old buildings so much. america is so new in comparison. Florida has noce beaches but thats about it, to me florida is a giant ses-pool, where all the worst people in america seem to move. snakes, mosquitos, a mc donalds on literally every street, humid hot weather, hurricanes, cant walk anywhere because there are no side walks and its always too hot, biggest prescription drug problem in the us, and nothing grows. unfortunatley if i purchased a house the same size as the one i live in here in florida over in the uk it would cost me close to a million dollars. thats just how ridiculous the prices are over there. okay rant over..im only 28 hopefully i’ll move back one day….if i die an old lady here in florida i would be super pissed off!

24. Yvonne says:

I’m sorry you miss the UK. Is there anything we can do to help?

25. Taff says:

Nice picture of Carreg Cennen castle been there lots of times incredible place to visit .
    Agree with most comments here being a fairly regular visitor to the US prices of most things now comparable to UK one big difference I think is housing where US is a lot cheaper especially out in the sticks. So why are local taxes so high in the US ie what we call Council Tax seen example of a 4 bed detached house on the outskirts of small town in New Hampshire being charged $8000pa similar property in UK would be $3000
    MMu