MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SHA0
ATH1
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG3
AJA1

If You Could Sack One Player From the Club You Support, Who Would It Be?

If You Could Sack One Player From the Club You Support, Who Would It Be?

With all the sack stories and rumors emerging across world football within the last week or so, I tend to speculate and try to guess myself which manager is most likely to be next.  While I feel sorry for anyone who loses their job, I understand the sacking of managers is as much a part of football as boots and the pitch itself.

Poor old Rafa Benitez is gone from Inter Milan, Big Sam Allardyce and Chris Hughton have parted ways with Blackburn and Newcastle United respectively, and it seems our old friend Steve McClaren’s days could be numbered at Bundesliga side Wolfsburg if he doesn’t turn things around quickly when league play resumes in mid January.

So while it seems like managers are a dime a dozen and can be replaced at the drop of a hat, players, while they can also be dropped to the bench or the reserves for a spell until they regain form or fitness, seem to be much better protected as it pertains to their job security. Since Christmas is now upon us, I’m granting football fans one wish before the insanity of the boxing day schedule and the fixtures to follow before the new year.

Now is your chance Premier League fans, now is the time to let the world know which one player on your beloved Premier League team you just wish would go away. Don’t be shy.

As a Manchester United supporter, I’d sack second choice goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak. Not because I think he’s a bad keeper or terrible person, but because I don’t think he’s the right fit at United to eventually replace current #1 Edwin van der Sar who will retire at the end of the season. Also, Kuszczak is good enough to get picked up by another Premier League club in mid table or one that will eventually get promoted for the 2011-12 season so I wouldn’t feel terrible letting him go.

While it’s likely United are willing to spend money to invest in a new keeper anyway, the sacking of Kuszczak would also allow room for Ben Amos and possibly Conor Devlin to gain valuable experience with the first team over the course of next season. So there’s my pick, let’s hear yours in the comments sections below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to If You Could Sack One Player From the Club You Support, Who Would It Be?

1. MennoDaddy says:

It pains me to say it, but Robbie Keane. He’ll always be one of my favorite Spurs players in recent years, but he’s now way past his prime and is no longer worth the salary that he’s earning. It’s past time to let him move on (again).

Keano will always, in my heart, be a Yiddo… yiddo… yiddo…

2. James Perch or Danny Guthrie for Newcastle, I thought Guthrie was good in the Championship and got plenty of assists, but when he has played this season he has looked so off the pace and doesn’t seem capable of even making a simple pass.

I need no explanation for James Perch…

• Adam says:

I am willing to give Guthrie a partial pass due to health issues this season (although I still think he is average at best and really slow), but the Perch experiment was not an experiment I would care to see repeated. I am glad that Simpson is back.

3. Jack says:

Jonny Evans – Manchester United

Not because he is an unpleasant person… he is just terrible!

We are winning 7-0 vs Blackburn… SAF brings on Evans for Vidic, and Blackburn get one back, scored from the exact position that Evans should have been standing, and Vidic WOULD have been standing!

Against west-ham in the Carling cup tie he was also beyond shocking…
    A friend told me we let Gerard Pique move back to Barca because we saw more potential in Jonny Evans, I feel sick :S

Put him on loan to Scunthorpe please?!

• Jared says:

You’ve hit the nail on the head. I was coming on to post that. Just think Fergie let Pique go to Barca because of Evans (obviously that move was also affected by the fact that Pique was from the Barca academy).

I’d rather have Smalling start games if either Vidic or Rio is out.

4. babyjoey says:

Ill pick Bebe cause I believe he’s a waste of space in our 25man party. Sir Alex made a big mistake.. He looks horrible on the ball, has terrific pace but lacks football brilliance more like a terrible Theo Walcott….

• Carmello says:

Yeah I agree with you… babyjoey (it just pained me to write that name out… although I can’t say much for my own REAL name… see above). I’m actually really sad that Bebe hasn’t worked out so far. That doesn’t mean he WON’T… but everyone wants to see a zero turn to hero. Not yet for Bebe.

• C says:

give me five dude. His crossing is terrible, sell him!

• Jason O. says:

Remember what SAF famously said in that few days before Rooney re-signed: “I can see the team in three years, you can’t.” Bebe gets more (but not unlimited) time and opportunities.

5. Liam says:

Christian Poulson.

6. Carmello says:

As a Spurs fan… I’d sack Bentley. I think most Spurs supporters feel the same way. What a waste of talent.

7. Jahoki says:

Michael Owen. Injured too often for United. Move him and bring Welbeck back.

Can’t agree with babyjoey and Carmello. I still think it’s too early to tell about Bebe. I’m still willing to wait and see.

8. JARKT says:

Paulo Ferreira without any doubt, I don’t knw why but whenever he is at the back, i just keep expecting the other team to score. I also think it is time to send Anelka away, just for the fact that he can never play as the lone striker up ahead , although he is a phenom support striker.

• Matt says:

I think exactly the same thing about him. I have a feeling it is how everyone is starting to think when they see that sad little man on the right side of their back four.

• Duke says:

I can’t really argue with you on Ferreira, but I’d still let Nico go if I could only choose one. He’s just taking up space out there anymore. You might as well give Sturridge the playing time, at least you’d stand a chance of getting a return on that investment.

• UpTheBlues says:

Ferreira for sure. But Duke made a good point on Nico (although I wouldn’t like him to leave just yet).
      Then again… with our poor depth, maybe we can take a pass on this. We need as many players as possible :P

9. RVPFan says:

Squillaci. Too many mistakes in the back has cost us dearly. We need to get rid of him immediately and sign a world class center back to play alongside Vemalaen.

• Robert Hay says:

I don’t blame Squillaci for this season, he’s had to fill in for Vermalaen much longer than anticipated. I personally would sack Denilson – his time has come especially if young Jack can take that spot.

• vermaelen5 says:

I think Squillaci’s been OK, save for the fact that the random number generator gives more consistent results than his headers in the defensive third. It’s easily Arshavin for me, though I’d love to keep his facial expressions around.

10. James says:

Stephen Ireland – Villa

Although looks like my wish will be granted in the transfer window.

11. richie says:

James,

You said it:

Stephen Ireland – Aston Villa.

He’s a great player as he showed for City many times, but it’s increasingly clear that he does not want to play for AVFC.

12. Allen says:

Denilson. Passing the ball directly to the opponent player again and again, without any pressure. Stopping the ball in a totally unbrazilian way and losing possession. Wandering all around in the midfield. Maybe he may find his place elsewhere (Wolfsburg?).

• USAGooner says:

I agree with Denilson but not with your rationale. If you look at the stats he is normally over 90% completion. The thing is his passes a very short sideways or backwards. He does not have the size nor tackling ability for a holding midfielder and does not have the vision for an attacking midfielder. And with the logjam in that area he is not needed.

13. babyjoey, absolutely spot on. i would send bebe on a flight back to portugal as fast as possible. his ball skills and crossing look horrible, brute strength and speed are all he is with no finesse.

14. LFC Fan says:

LFC – Poulsen & Konchesky…I know you said one, but these two combined barely equal one real player.

15. Ringo says:

Either Jenas or Pavlyuchenko. Probably Pav.

• Leland says:

Pav? Really? I’m not a Spurs fan but from what I’ve seen he’s been playing well. The top scorer too, isn’t he?

• upthebrum says:

You don’t know what you’re doing! You don’t know what you’re doing!

Birmingham and about half of the clubs in England (and Europe) would take Pav in a heartbeat…

16. Cory says:

West Ham – Dyer, Behrami, Kovac, Cole, Upson (honestly, we should’ve offloaded him years ago and kept Collins – it’s an awful idea to make a guy who wants to leave your captain)

17. Ben Ruskin says:

Man United: John O’ Shea would be my choice has he just is not Man United quality. Whenever I see his name on the team sheet at fullback instead of Rafael or Evra, it is guaranteed that we will lack mobility and skill (attacking and defensively) on that side. I know that he is versatile, but that can be overrated as sometimes a player who can play many positions never excels in one of them, and unfortunately that has been the case with O’Shea who had lots of promise as a youngster. Don’t get me started on when he plays holding midfield by the way.

18. PatFromSeattle says:

As a Toffee, I’d love to see Saha move on. Then we might actually have some money to bring in some more depth at midfield.

• Dan says:

I second ditching Saha. Everton’s offense has been woeful, and will likely get worse when Cahill’s away on international duty. Give Beckford a chance to start and see what happens, as he’s already shown a knack for scoring late off the bench to draw with Bolton and Chelsea, and almost netted a winner against Sunderland.

• Sed says:

You can add me to the “ditch Saha” chorus – I, too, would like to see Beckford get a few starts. Couldn’t be any worse than starting Louie.

19. kopstick says:

David ngog. Not because he’s got terrible ball control, but he keeps players like kuyt and babel from filling his position due to roy’s blindness. Send him on loan and get him back when he can control a ball and give a decent pass.

20. John says:

Roy Hodgson.

21. luis Nunez says:

I am a Red and if I had a chance I’d fire Martin Skertel in a heartbeat. He is slow, makes awful decisions all the time, and just not a good footballer

22. dustparticle says:

Dear EPL Fantasy Santa!

One “fantasy sacking” sounds good.

But it’s just not enough for me….I need more.

As a lifelong spurs fan, i would sack for doing equal damage at any given moment in a game.

Palacios, Corluka, Keane and Pav..yes I said it…. PAVLIAMISSACHANCE (english translation of his name)

I’m sorry epl santa i know you said one sacking, but I f I have to endure another god awful, match throwing performance from either of these guys again…then…well…you don’t want to see a grown man cry do you?

Please get them out.

23. Kevin says:

Easily Robbie Keane, with a dishonourable mention for David Bentley.. He makes absolutely no contribution to the club at present.

24. Seema says:

i’ll sack kalou or anelka from chelsea…but i’ll say kalou…he always misses good chances of goal….he could score more important goal for the culb…but no, he always play alone, dnt pass to anyone oor simply waste good chances….HE SHOULD GO

25. Seema says:

i’ll sack kalou or anelka from chelsea…but i’ll say kalou…he always misses good chances of goal….he could score more important goal for the club…but no, he always play alone, dnt pass to anyone or simply waste good chances….HE SHOULD GO

26. Go mEnTaL uNiTeD (nOt mAnC) says:

This Vex some of my fellow Gooners-in fact I have even been asked to leave Pubs for calling it like it is- But If I had to sack someone from my team it would have to begin off the pitch.
    Arsene Wenger has continually proven to us all that he has truly “Lost the plot.” As long as he continues to be stubborn, cheap, & diffusional, as far as I am concerned, he should go.
    Thanks for what he’s done in the past, but the past won’t give us any silverware-plain common sense.

• pacificStyle says:

Wenger started something that’s beyond you, boy! Sure, it took one hell of a dry spell, but he’s kept the whole institution profitable, not just for these 5 years, but for years to come – a sustainable model. Now, his Philosophy is finally starting to bear fruit – The Carling Cup is now almost within grasp and should serve as a springboard for more. 3 Prem Leagues, 4 FA cups, and 4 Comm. Shields have earned him the respect to not be treated like another Benitez. Sure, I’ve waited, but I ain’t going to throw in the towel yet just because there ain’t no bling! Sure he’s stubborn – when you’ve won as much as him, have run an enterprise as successfully as he has – you have a goddamned right to be as stubborn. That’s not to say that he doesn’t leave me frustrated with signings or with substitutions, but that doesn’t mean I want his head on a platter. He’s an intelligent man, and I know it; so do the Fergussons and Redknapps of the world, who taunt him on screen but wish they could run an enterprise as profitably and still wish to produce such quality as he’s managed.

• bob marley says:

when you’ve won as much as him, have run an enterprise as successfully as he has – you have a goddamned right to be as stubborn……

Everyone has an expiry period……….and I think wenger is past his expiry. but when the aspirations of the club, its investors and fans are so low…….God save the club.
        On the same rational…….Sir Alex should be manager for life and Chelsea should have kept Jose for life…Wait and see what will happen if United does not win the premiership for 3 seasons running. They will not think twice before chucking out Fergie…legend or otherwise.
        Arsenal are a very reactive club to get anywhere…….the golden days and players are long gone…..what is left is dust in the trophy cabinet….some children breast-feeding age and nothing else..
        Wenger for life

• pacificStyle says:

In due time, the numbers of the likes of you will outnumber the numbers of the likes of me; we will be the last converts – this will be his “expiration” date. He’s earned that much. Mou is good, but he’s a merc. Fergie is a great manager, which is why he’s there for life. But even Fergie knows he can learn a thing or two about running a profitable Enterprise from AW.

Till then, I’ll make do with “breast-feeders” that have the class to challenge for the top 3 at the best league in the world consistently. And I’ll summon just a bit more patience to see them achieve metal. Because if they’re this good when they’re breast-feeders, imagine what they’ll do once they’ve tasted metal.

27. Pete says:

Rosicky-Arsenal

Every time he comes on, he seems to break up arsenal’s flow, and hasn’t scored in ages

28. Bala says:

Carrick – Can’t tackle, woefully slow, diminishing vision and sub-zero levels of passion. Should be the first one out of Man Utd.

29. bob marley says:

I would have to say Almunia

30. Cameron says:

Konchesky without a doubt. I wonder what his mom would have to say about that on her Facebook page.

For those who don’t follow LFC, Konchesky’s mom has been outraged by fans criticizing her son’s performances and on her Facebook page called LFC fans “Scouser Scums” among other things. Anyway, the best response I read on the LFC boards was “she’s only defending her son, pity she can’t teach her son a thing or two about defending” :) . Brilliant.

31. Peter says:

Ramires. I might as well type it 25 times. Awful. Constantly losing the ball (see loss to Man City), constantly fouling on defense. It’s been hopeless from the start. “The future of Chelsea,” Ancelotti called him over the summer. Thank god Lamps is back.

32. cheese says:

Gael Clichy, he has gotten continually worse since 07-08 and isn’t smart enough for me.

33. Reagan says:

Gary Taylor-Fletcher for Blackpool. He’s got an awful first touch. Decent passer but butchers too many opportunities in the box. Not to mention that he keeps Phillips on the bench. Perhaps my disdain is irrational but I can’t wait till the summer where he will hopefully move on.

34. che says:

Ryan Babel, useless wage eater wasted his 2 or 3 years at Liverpool. He need to be at club like Stoke or Birmingham. Hodgson gave him chance but he’s still far below from average.

35. King Eric says:

jonny evans/michael carrick, end of.

36. BigDaddy says:

As a Manchester City Fan, I’ll choose James Milner who is not skilled enough for the squad and as a second, Kolo Toure who is not good enough with the ball and in the air, and he has defensive lapses.

37. kunal says:

For Man. United, I’d sack Darron Gibson. He’s absolute rubbish, fat, can’t move or pass and the only thing he’s supposedly good at, shooting, he’s actually rubbish at. I’d also get rid of Carrick, put Hargo out of his misery (we still love you and your hair Owen), get rid of Michael Owen, Kuszack, the Neviller and Brown.

38. Yorker says:

In Liverpool, as much as it is shocking to say, I think it’s Fernando Torres. His WC playing inconsistency caught on to the EPL season. A “good” striker that becomes inconsistent means they’ve runned dry. Fowler, Owen, and Henry are examples (I may include Rooney in the future).

Although it’s a little it’s half-way through the season (possibly career), unless Torres revives himself the remaining part of the season, I expect a transfer/request during the summer.

39. Shakira says:

Robbie Savage hands down, past his prime and sucking up money he doesn’t need to be.

40. budi says:

MAN UTD: Carrick = average at best

and gary neville, michael owen, owen hargreaves… luckily their contract end this season and has not been extended

41. Jessy says:

Roy Hodgson. I know he’s not a player but he is more influential being the manager and sometimes it’s the manager that should be replaced rather than a player. His record at Liverpool is exactly the same as at Fulham for the same number of games. Shocking! He has turned Liverpool into a mid-table team overnight. If he weren’t British the media would be all over him but due to the double standards he is immune from much criticism. Give him time they all say. yesd, time to completely ruin Liverpool. I don’t want Rafa Benitez back as he had lost the plot but he is way better than Roy. I hope NESV looks to bring in a younger manager that isn’t as mediocre as Hodgson, someone like Michael Laudrup.

42. mike says:

i’m still laughing at the liverpool fan who wants to get rid of torres…are you aware that he is your entire team? also, i’m not a united supporter but since so many on here are, i’ll put in my two cents and say anderson. 59 league appearances, 1 goal. what a wank.

anyway, i support everton and i’d probably get rid of osman or hibbert. seems sacrilegious to say that since they’ve both been at the club since around 2000 i think, but i feel that neither has much to offer these days on the pitch. haha maybe we don’t get rid of them, but we just don’t let them play…?

43. LL says:

Bunch of morons on this board. Get rid of Anelka? Why he got 19 goals two years ago when drogs was out. He is willing to take a supporting role which most strikers wont do. Get rid of Kalou? Why again he would start on most other teams. Yet he is fine coming off the bench. He is a great role player. Would I count on him everyday no, but for what his role is he is fine. The problem with Chelsea are not those players as the start of the season showed. Its mounting injuries no lampard, playing THREE holding midfielders during games and selling off Ballack, Deco, Letti, ricardo all in one season. Should of held on too one of them. Ballack even wanted to take a pay cut. Lamps injury would not have been so bad with him there

• UpTheBlues says:

Completely agree re: Kalou. He’s a very useful player when used as a sub later in matches for us. He turns from Kalou to Kalouless when he starts ;)

44. Mark says:

Paustian Poulchesky

45. James says:

City fan here. Shay Given, because he deserves to be a Premiership #1. Hopefully not for Arsenal though. :)

46. Carl says:

As a Liverpool fan, Poulsen doesn’t get a game very often but Konchesky does and Konchesky is the one I’d sack. He is utterly useless and a liability. Hopefully his mom, with her crazy comments on Facebook about the club, city and fans, has helped by making sure he doesn’t play for the club again. I can only imagine what the fans would do to him at Anfield if he played. If Roy was the manager then he’d be the one I’d sack.

47. Carl says:

Sorry the last sentence should have read” If roy wasn’t the manager but a player then he’d be the one I’d sack”.

48. GK says:

gunner here:

I agree with the calls for Denilson; he does not much contribute much offensively and is a liability in the open field defensively…however considering how injury prone some of his teammates are he is still a useful warm body to keep around.

I also agree that Rosicky is past his prime and doesn’t look to be a goal scoring threat. That said, I feel he does contribute to the teams movement and flow in the offensive third.

I would sack or sell Carlos Vela, who for me has been a consistent disappointment and doesn’t seem to have what it takes at that level.

Also, while I appreciate Almunia’s service over the years, I feel his time has come and gone.

Lastly, I hope that Wenger continues with Szezsny on Monday against Chelsea. While Fabianski isn’t making blunders like he used to, Szezsy is actually an existing talent who seems to have the confidence for the big games.

• GK says:

meant to say szeszy is an “exciting” talent, not “existing”…sorry for the typo

• as a gooner: this may sound a little off the wall, but
      Robin Van Persie. Yes he is one the best strikers in the league,
      and a player of class, but this man is cut from glass. He has never
      finished a season uninjured, despite being a major attacking force
      for the gunners. BUT with RvP out as often as he is, he is hardly
      in the starting eleven and is a wasted perma-crock of brilliance.
      we need consistency. For how many years are we still going to
      struggle to replace Henry?

49. Robbie says:

I agree that Liverpool should cash in on Torres as he has been poor for most of the season. His heart is no longer with the club. Get 40-50 million quid for him and buy 2-3 quality players that will improve the club. The one person I would not trust with any signings is manager Roy Hodgson. He is clueless and will only buy mediocrity like Konchesky and Poulsen. Liverpool need to start rebuilding.