SUN, 11AM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ARS4
GAL1
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS1
LFC0

Could You Ever Stop Supporting Your Favorite Football Club?

city til i die Could You Ever Stop Supporting Your Favorite Football Club?What would it take for you to stop supporting your favorite football club? Yes, the mere notion of such an idea seems ridiculous, but it just goes to show how much of a death grip football clubs have on its supporters.

For the vast majority of us, our allegiance to our favorite club is fused together for the rest of our lives. No matter what decisions our club chairmen make, we still support the team. If you’re a Newcastle United or Blackburn supporter, you may be upset at Mike Ashley or The Venky’s respectively, but chances are that you’re going to continue your undying support for your club no matter what. You may love your club a little less at times, no matter who it is, but you’re always going to have a bond with it. Until the day you die.

For such a brand to exist that creates a product that can be consumed on a weekly if not daily basis, it’s a marketer’s dream come true. “Until til I die” and “City til I die” are powerful chants in so many ways.

But going back to the original question, is there anything that a club could do that would make you to stop supporting your favorite football club? Share your feedback below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Could You Ever Stop Supporting Your Favorite Football Club?

1. Jaime says:

Nothing could stop me supporting the Arsenal! I was literally born with an Arsenal shirt, the first photo I have of me is of me wrapped in an Arsenal shirt at the hospital, and I have supported them my 22 years since then. I could never imagine me changing clubs, the very thought of it makes me cringe. Sure its been five years since ANY major trophy but who cares? If you truly support your club you will continue to do so through thick or thin. I am proud to say: Arsenal till I die!

2. dfkgbekj says:

If chelsea moved from Stamford bridge and had to change their name.

3. casey says:

I never really thought about deserting Glasgow Celtic but I can’t get myself up to watch them play teams like kilmarnock, st.mirren, dundee united, hamilton, and st. johnstone (that’s 16 games a year). Most weekends i find myself in front of the tube taking in 3 to 4 EPL matches a week, its actaully pretty great just watching for the football and not having your emotions on your sleeve with each kick of the ball. Still I cross the pond once a year for Celtic when a good run of matches are in order.

I just hope one day Celtic and join the EPL or the Championship having half a season of barely watchable football can really put a drain on a supporter.

4. DeeRexBox says:

No, I could never stop supporting my team. I’ve really only been a soccer fan since High School. Though I watched my first bit of EPL as an outsider, I always approved of the way Arsenal did things. Thus…they have earned my love. I liked them b/c they never appeared to be front runners…and ESPECIALLY over the last 4-5 years, I believe they do things the RIGHT way, by developing players and playing w/ youth. It would be great to see them bring in someone the likes of Tevez or a big name, but I’d rather see young Jack Wilshere or Jay Emmanuel Thomas on the field, fighting for a team they’ve played at for many years…often since their teens.

I enjoy watching other clubs, but will NEVER stop loving Arsenal b/c of the way they hooked me.

-Gooner

5. Joe says:

This isn’t a soccer example, but over the last few months I’ve considered ending my life-long support of the New Jersey Nets. This goes beyond them being lousy and into the fact that they are still planning to pack up and move to Brooklyn, using eminent domain to steal people’s homes along the way. Their pie-in-the-sky stadium/commercial district plans have already driven away one owner, and now the crazy Russian billionaire who bought them and promised to create a new era has done little beyond overpay for a mediocre forward and trade for Sasha Vujacic, the NBA’s equivalent to…I dunno, some useless soccer player.

I guess English football teams don’t move like American sports franchises, but I think that a team packing up and leaving your home city is always a good reason to abandon them.

• Dave C says:

I agree entirely. There’s probably a million and one reasons why sports fandom is different in the US and England (sometimes for better, sometimes for worse), but I think the fact that teams can just up-and-leave is one of the reasons.

• MNUfan1991 says:

“This goes beyond them being lousy and into the fact that they are still planning to pack up and move to Brooklyn, using eminent domain to steal people’s homes along the way.”

If someone tries to “steal” my home by offering 50-300% above its market value, I’d pack up and leave before the end of the day, while crying foul all the way to the bank.
      Like the guy who just lost his fight against Columbia University yesterday. Do you believe anyone would be so attached to some POS warehouse? Sure….
      In real estate, everything has a price.
      –B.S. Columbia ’00; M.S. Columbia ’01

• Joe says:

OK. I still think the Atlantic Yards is an idiotic, wasteful project for a team that is already playing in a perfectly nice stadium with easy access to New York City.
        -M.S. Columbia ’09. How bout that Low Library huh?!?!

6. DeeRexBox says:

@joe

Yeah, the Nets would be a good team to give up on. That Russian is not only an ass, he’s a CRIMINAL who exploited millions of Russians and their territory to make billions of dollars.

SCUM…

7. canyid says:

Did anyone follow Wimbledon to Milton Keynes? Or would you even consider that the same team?

8. Vious says:

For most in America, the bandwagoners who have never stepped foot in their own grounds would stop supporting their teams the minute they got relegated OR the several years after they stopped being competitive for the title

• King Eric says:

I agree that a lot would and I would actually be happy by that since it would help weed out all of the “fair-weather fans.” But I don’t agree that all who have never been to their ground are considered band wagon fans. That’s just unfair to assume or generalize, especially if they live abroad and don’t have the means/luxury to travel there.

This goes for all sports though; any team that revels in success for a period of time will always attract those fans who simply become interested with winning and jump on the wagon during the glory- it’s part of the package of being a successful club/team. That’s why I think we can all differentiate between the meaning of “fans” vs. supporters.

• Shakira says:

I would disagree about that. I am a Derby supporter and have endured relegation, total embarrassment and I have never been to see them live. While yes there are many band wagoners here in the States, not all American football fans are fair weather fans. I don’t see Derby being in the hunt for a title for oh a few decades but I won’t stop supporting them. Did the relegation thing already as well.

9. Adam says:

I think this is more of a personal/ loyalty question than anything else.

As for me I have supported Newcastle for roughly a decade or so- supported them through the Fat Freddy regime, Mike Ashley regime, relegation, and countless managerial debacles (Robson, Keegan, Hughton, etc). I am not going anywhere.

10. bob marley says:

I did. I used to be a supporter of the Arsenal of old. The likes of Bergkamp,Henry,Vieira played for whom. Now they are nothing more than a feeder club obsessed with their underachieving penny-pinching loud mouthed manager……..

11. King Eric says:

As said in the film “Looking for Eric:” “You can change your wife, change your politics, change your religion, but never, never can you change your favourite football team.” I stand by this quote, very well said.

• The Gaffer says:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a grown man who has changed his favorite football club. I’m sure there are some out there.

But I still go back to my original question regarding what clubs would have to do to lose you as a supporter. A human sacrifice at half-time (tongue in cheek)? A fleecing of a club’s assets? Even then, the loyalty would be so strong that many supporters would still stick around and support that club.

• King Eric says:

There wouldn’t be anything that they could do. I hate the fact that United is owned by Malcom Glazer, but I still support the club, because long before he was there and long after he’s gone, the club has and will always be there. I just simply boycott buying new merchandise and putting money into their pockets and protest to show my disapproval. Even if the club did the most awful thing imaginable, I would probably simply disagree w/that one instance whatever it may be and label it a disgrace to the club, but still support the lads on the pitch- you can’t erase history.

12. Thexhorde says:

Vious, I tend to disagree with your comment.I have been a liverpool supporter since I was about 10 or 11. So for the past 13 or so years I have been a supporter. Yes, I have never stepped inside Anfield or been to one of their matches, however, I would never stop supporting then even if they got relegated. They aren’t challenging for a title anytime soon but I will support them just the same. It depends on a persons level of support and fandom. Yes, some people would stop supporting a club if they got relegated or weren’t challenging but to call all of us bandwagon fans just because we have never been there is just ridiculous and ill informed.

13. Reagan says:

I’m in a different boat than most here. I just found my EPL club after the World Cup. I fell in love with the style and verve Blackpool play with and its become a part of the fabric of my Saturdays now. Problem is if they get relegated. Its not that I wouldn’t watch them in the Championship. I would, but that being here in the States it would be extremely difficult if not outright impossible to do so. I’m still learning to love my team but being unable to watch them, either live or tape delay/torrent would probably make my fandom wane. Which would really suck so up the Pool. They need to be in the EPL next season.

• King Eric says:

love holloway and what they’re doing at pool- great stuff and more power to them. you can always watch matches online at p2p4u.net and fs plus shows championship league games as well.

14. Shakira says:

As a Derby supporter the darkest days for me was “that season” but I made it through and can not imagine supporting anyone else. I have never been to Pride Park or see Derby live other then on the telly but if I can sit through that shower of shite of that season and still support them I don’t see anything that would make me stop.

15. My team has been in administration (almost a second), suffered two relegations, is now out of the football league, sold it’s best players (usually on a free) and is run by owners not interested in football….but they are my hometown club and always will be my club

16. Gareth says:

I am from England, living in Turkey and I support Barcelona.

I fell in love with the club shortly after falling in love with the city. That is why I started to follow them. However, it was their style of football that really got to me. I followed them through their Champions League winning campaign in 05/06, and enjoyed two barren years with no trophies (my biggest defence against being called a glory hunter) but never lost the love. The love has grown, and no, I don’t think I could ever stop the support. I’ve never liked my hometown teams (Bristol City and Rovers) because I am a proper football purist. I like to watch decent, flowing attacking football, and not simply align myself to a side because their stadium sits near my home. In the days (long before my time) when players played for their local clubs, I would maybe have seen things differently. Local lads turning out for a local side is great, and can still be enjoyed in grassroots, but that isn’t the way football works these days, and I am proud to admit that I would rather watch good football than local football.

Just for clarification, I love the sport as it is (with the exception of FIFA and UEFA corruption) and wouldn’t want to see it go back to the old ways of all english players in england, all spaniards in spain. I like a bit of variety, and as I said, this is still alive and well in grassroots, and provides all the more reason to watch grassroots football. It’s fantastic.

17. Ethan says:

The only thing I can really think of is if Arsenal were to do something that was truly hateful- for example, let’s say the club showed some discrimination, and the Executives seemed to have no problem with that, I’d take issue with it. It seems to be a very specific scenario, which shows that chances seem to be dictating that it’ll be Arsenal all my life.

18. JC says:

I’m pretty sure Mike Ashley is banking on the answer being no. :)

As a Forest fan, I sure would like to see my team in the Premier League, but I couldn’t imagine supporting another club under any circumstances. In fact, I feel like the whole English league structure is predicated on the fact that fans will not jump ship. If they did so with regularity, there wouldn’t be much point in the lower leagues.

19. bman says:

Yea, I mean you never know what might happen, what you might become disillusioned with. Circumstances change, especially when you are talking about people who do not follow a home-town team. Most people, and this goes for every sport, are not born into following a team, so there is some sort of choosing process involved. By definition then it not necessarily set in stone. My father supported the Cleveland Browns at certain points in his life, then the Cincinnati Bengals, now he doesn’t follow the NFL. I used to follow Celtic football club but I stopped. Things change, your own life, location, your opinions, and on top of that virtually everything at any given club is subject to change, save for the location. In this day and age, location is the only really bonding (or is chaining a better word?) thing I can think of. I am fond of telling people that I am a fan of the Columbus Crew because I have no choice (I live in Columbus), that it is a part of my city, like driving the roads or walking the streets, but I don’t know if that is even true. I mean look at what happened with Manchester United splitting off.

20. UpTheBlues says:

Chelsea til I die. Nothing will ever change that.