Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Transfer Buzz: Gallas and Keane to MLS?

Transfer Buzz: Gallas and Keane to MLS?

With MLS clubs signing up more designated players than ever before, fans should start getting used to European players being linked with moves to America.

A pair of Tottenham players, William Gallas and Robbie Keane, have been linked recently with potential moves to the U.S.

Gallas, who moved to White Hart Lane on a free transfer, has been awarded the captain’s armband in recent matches and has drawn praise from his manager, Harry Redknapp, for his solid play.

He’s making £55,000 a week, and reports suggest that he could do better in MLS.

While I think that this would be a good idea for, say, New York, I find it hard to believe that Redknapp would allow Gallas to leave – considering Spurs’ injury issues at the position.

Robbie Keane to, say, Vancouver is also a good idea and, to me, far more likely.

With a glut of strikers, Spurs will probably let him go in the January window. And while he’s had more clubs than Tiger Woods, he’s a passionate player that might just thrive with the challenge of leading the line for an expansion team in MLS.

It makes sense to me, assuming you don’t have to break the bank to sign him.

What do you think? Excited about the possibility of more European imports as DPs in MLS? Or do you think the league should be investing more in young, home-grown players?

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, MLS and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Transfer Buzz: Gallas and Keane to MLS?

1. Robert Hay says:

I don’t know about Vancouver, it’s tough to go from London to Western Canada. I wish DCU would pony-up for him, he’d add some good star power to their roster.

2. soccerreform says:

Until these conversations turn to how a given player fits and and adds to a given squad, they’re not productive. Star power doesn’t change the fate of leagues. Great clubs do.

In MLS, great clubs aren’t allowed.

• kickit says:

You mean the great clubs in Europe? European leagues are boring, what’s the point of watching the European Leagues if the same clubs win every year? Your “great club” theory only shows the haves and have not in the European system.

• soccerreform says:

Looks to me that about 1% of USMNT World Cup viewers share your sensibilities about mediocritizing D1 soccer so that everyone has a chance to win MLS Cup – at the cost of international play, trapping lower divisions in a caste system, and the ability of any US club to build a legacy.

You’ve already cultivated a remarkable ability to ignore reality. You don’t need a web site to help you.

• Dave C says:

Urgh god…is there any topic you won’t use as a starting point to rant about promotion/relegation etc?

3. Jim says:

Robbie Keane would be a natural DP for New England to sign. His Celtic and Republic of Ireland ties couldn’t help but bring out some new people to Foxboro.

• Trevor says:

I think there’d be more needed to get Irish fans to Foxboro than Keane, although I think he’d make a great asset to any team.
      For starters, they’d have to create a reliable and convenient way to actually get there ;)
      (I say this as someone who has actually tried to get to Foxboro and failed.)

Joking aside, though, the Revs are a long way from even being able to utilize someone with Keane’s talent.

4. Joe says:

Is there any way to hit “ignore” to avoid certain people’s comments?

I think MLS can and should do both. Bring in international players for a quick talent infusion while getting those youth academies up and running to improve talent development for the long-term.

• AdamEdg says:

I agree. Having a reputable star-calibre player on the pitch and mentoring the homegrown developmental players, who are also on the pitch, is the best of both worlds. By working with both, MLS is creating longevitity, improving its quality, bulding a deeper pool for the USMNT (and othe CONCACAF squads it seems), and catering to the fans’ desire for big names.

• soccerreform says:

The fans desire for big names? Again, you sell the American soccer supporter short. Most of us desire desire great clubs, not mediocre clubs with hood ornaments.

• googlebot says:

What is your definition of a great club?
          Great clubs have been around for decades and you expect MLS to magically some how match those years. Your naivety and narrow-mindedness continues to disappoint me Ted

• googlebot says:

Name the teams in each conference that drew the highest away attendance this past year
          Galaxy
          Red Bulls

What do those teams have?
          Stars

• soccerreform says:

On top of that MLS academies are still subisdized by parents – and the Cosmos, a club that doesn’t even exist yet, is spending 2x more than any MLS outlet on player development.

• googlebot says:

Ted, do you have any proof of this? Where is there statistical analysis of this statement?

In addition, just because a club has two academies that happens to be well publicized doesn’t mean its spending twice as much. And those academies were built by others, they just bought them. For someone who believes in organic growth of the game, that’s pretty contradicting Ted

Chicago Fire have several academies up and down the Mississippi, RSL has a residency program, the Metrostars/Red Bulls system has been producing many solid players for years.

5. Joe says:

Soccer Reform – Once again your one-track mind can’t see anything but your agenda. Stick to your own blog, sport.

• soccerreform says:

Right on topic, chief. As long as we keep letting MLS dumb down soccer, they will. This isn’t a TV show. Starpower alone solves jack.

• Joe says:

As usual it seems you say what you want without reading what others have said. I said importing stars plus developing youth talent. Importing stars PLUS DEVELOPING YOUTH TALENT.

But keep banging your ahead against that wall. I’ll bet a DC United vs. Chivas USA relegation fight would have KILLED the MLS Cup ratings! Americans would’ve been glued to their TVs for that one.

6. Dan says:

GOSH this has to be at least 2 weeks old news!

7. Joe says:

I’m not against promotion/relegation as a general concept. Frankly I think Major League Baseball has needed it for a while. But American soccer is nowhere near ready. There is absolutely no way that a relegated club would survive – do you really think the Philadelphia Union’s owners would accept dropping down below major-league level after the millions they spent building the team, building the stadium, etc? No one but a complete idiot would invest in a team with that kind of risk. Right now MLS ownership is a low-risk/low-reward proposition. Is it ideal? No. Is it as good as it can be for right now? Probably. Keep developing the youth academies, keep bringing in an occasional star or two, and the needle will move.

8. Joe says:

And as for the argument that playoffs just “don’t work” in soccer, I want you to consider what the top three global soccer events are in terms of viewership. The World Cup, UEFA Champions League, and Copa Libertadores. Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs.

Why can European leagues run a playoff-less system? Because even if you don’t finish #1, you can qualify for the Champions League, a huge prize to any club. CONCACAF Champions League just doesn’t have that draw, financially or competitively – Mexico’s been weaseling their way into South America’s tournament for years.

LA Galaxy were regular season champs, so they get a spot in CONCACAF. Great, another mid-week game where they can barely sell a few thousand tickets.

If you suddenly eliminate MLS Cup, you basically eliminate the only thing that MLS clubs are playing for at this point.

Until you come up with a plan to make CONCACAF Champions League into something teams care about, not just here but across the continent, then eliminating playoffs is not the answer.

Soccer Reform – I challenge you. How can we make CONCACAF worthwhile?

• CoconutMonkey says:

@Joe

I think you need to give the CCL a bit more time. The competition (in it’s current format) hasn’t even had 3 years under its belt. Hell, it’s not even on basic cable yet!

As for the ticket sales and whatnot, I think that really comes down to the individual teams. I don’t have all the answers, but if Seattle can pack in 30k for the USOC final, then LA should be able to find a way to get over 10k in a CCL match.

PS. The MLS playoffs are still in major need of a revamp.

• Joe says:

Oh I definitely agree that SOME reform is necessary. I’d start by getting rid of conferences and limiting the playoffs to the top four or possibly six (with byes to the top 2). But until CONCACAF does become that big prize of a competition, I think MLS needs to have its own playoffs. Wherever you go, the ultimate prize is decided in a winner-take-all tournament, and if MLS got rid of the Cup and relied on the underdeveloped CONCACAF as its “big thrill” at the end, it just wouldn’t be ideal in the short term.

• Joe says:

I think there are many problems with CONCACAF Champions League. For one, many teams simply don’t take it seriously enough. Case in point is the Galaxy, who got destroyed at home by the division 2 Puerto Rico Islanders. That’s certainly not the way to get more than 10,000 people to come to the game.

And from the action I watched in the group stage (I tried!), the officiating and the field conditions were simply not good enough for a major tournament. I saw several officials give out dubious red cards, especially to players on American teams when the game was played in Central America. I watched several games in driving rain where there were enormous puddles on the field – the ball would find them and just stop in its tracks.

It’s a chicken/egg situation. Teams don’t take the tournament seriously because it isn’t well run, and it isn’t well run because if teams won’t take it seriously what’s the point?

9. miahmakhon says:

I live in the U.K and due to my working schedule i’ve been watching and following alot of MLS over the past 2 years.
    IMO, the one thing that would change everything in the N.American soccer scene is if the CCL managed to get some serious corporate backing such as pepsi or coco-cola putting up a sizeable winnings pot, that would force all CONCACAF teams to take it seriously which would raise its profile even more.

10. Nice post this is really very interesting..

11. vermaelen5 says:

Ugh. I hope to God that Gallas stays on the other side of the ocean.

12. Charles says:

Who would have predicted that players like this would be trying to come to MLS ? Me…thank you.

It is not over, as many of these players do not want to go to the lower level teams which have zero chance of winning and they are not seeing playing time in the future for themselves where they are.

MLS needs to be VERY leary of signing players like this. Look at Ljungberg, he was a travesty, a joke, and a waste of $1.3 million as a player.

Whether you think that these players are washed up, or that they can’t handle MLS, it doesn’t matter. Ljungberg is not the exception, closer to the rule.

IF MLS is looking at selling jerseys to Euridiots as a way to raise money for real soccer, I am for it. Otherwise teams will be smart to avoid situations like these. Trust me I have been there already.

• Joe says:

William Gallas has actually been a very effective starter for Tottenham. Why he would want to leave a team that will be playing in the knockout stages of the Champions League in the spring is beyond me.

• Dave C says:

The Gallas part of the story sounds like BS to me. He’s only just joined Spurs, he’s doing well and he’s playing in the Champions League. I know he’s money-hungry, but still, I doubt any one in the MLS would be willing to pay ridiculous money for a defender. If they were, there would have been an offer on the table last summer, before he joined Spurs.

13. Clampdown says:

I don’t know about Gallas. That one sounds a bit far-fetched. Unless he loses his job at Spurs and Henry convinces him NY would be the place for him, I’d be surprised.

Keane, on the other hand, would be great. I said to friends of mine after his poor spell at Liverpool that he would be a good target for MLS. The guy never takes a shift off and is not the prima donna that Ljungberg is. Fans would love him here.

14. Joe-Ness says:

Can Keane become the next Angel? A player that waned in Europe and came here and re-invented himself? Who knows. I think it It’ll be a great buy. Considering Tottenham and my team, the Earthquakes, have a partnership then he can come here…though it sounds unrealistic.