SAT, 7AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
NEW
CRY
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

What Are You Thankful For This Thanksgiving Day?

happy thanksgiving postcard What Are You Thankful For This Thanksgiving Day?

Before I moved to the United States in 1984, I had never heard of Thanksgiving Day. The U.S. holiday, while still seeming a bit surreal and bizarre to me after all of these years, is now one of my favorite holidays of the year partly because it’s the one focused on the family more than any.

So while many of you will be eating turkey dinners around the United States today, myself included, I thought I’d ask you to share what soccer-related things you’re thankful for this Thanksgiving Day.

Here’s my list of what I’m thankful for, all soccer-related:

1. You, the readers. Without you, this site wouldn’t exist. Your feedback and honest criticism helps drive me forward,
  2. The Premier League. This has been one of the best seasons yet with so many more competitive teams and games. The whole way the league is run without a hitch is incredible,
  3. My club Swansea City. It’s very rare that I get to see the Swans on television, but everytime I do, I’m always amazed at what a lovely brand of football they play and how it would be wonderful to see them in the Premier League one day,
  4. The other soccer sites and blogs out there. I read more than 450 of them on a daily basis to comb through them looking for links to share with you as well as reading them for pure enjoyment. Some of my favorites include Two Hundred Percent, A More Splendid Life, The Run Of Play and The Guardian,
  5. Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN. They get a lot of constructive criticism from us, but without them, we’d be screwed,
  6. Technology. This season, more than any other before it, I’ve been able to watch games more easily thanks to FoxSoccer.tv (on my laptop) and the FoxSoccer app (on my iPhone).

On behalf of EPL Talk, I’d like to wish you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving Day!

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to What Are You Thankful For This Thanksgiving Day?

1. RVPFan says:

I am thankful for EPLTalk for providing a platform to scribble few words during a busy day and to read articles and comments from soccer fans. Thank you all!! Go Gunners!!

2. Richard says:

Hey, thank YOU for the kind mention!

3. Earl Reed says:

Of course family, employment, health, etc. are on the list. From a soccer perspective:
    - The few real-life friends I have who are soccer fans. I love other sports too, but soccer is currently at the top of my list. In a country like the US (where soccer doesn’t even take the backseat, but more hitched trailer), I’m thankful for a subset of my friends who appreciate the sport.
    - Telecommunications advances. Satellite television = FSC. Broadband = Foxsoccer.tv. It’s great to have a multitude of matches to watch in the course of a week, whether it be live or on tape.
    - The USMNT and the World Cup. As much as the US fell on their face against Ghana, my interest in soccer may not have been piqued had they not done well. Between the draw to England and the miraculous finish to the victory over Algeria, my interest grew. And I watched most of the Cup after the US was knocked out.

Here’s hoping for a lot more growth to soccer in this country.

4. Beto says:

Happy Thanksgiving Gaffer,

I am thankful for my family, indoor plumbing, Mac OS, new owners for my club (sigh of relief to see Hicks and Gillete leave), and hope.

5. Footballfool says:

Too many, many personal things to mention here so I ‘ll stick with football, soccer, Futbol, ect.

-The 2010 World Cup. Hands down got me into the beautiful game.
    -This site and the people here as well as other soccer sites helping to educate me about the game, teams & players. And NOT making me feel stupid about it. (That’s a biggie when it comes to socializing on the web.) You would not believe how much I’ve learned from people that I don’t know personally since the World Cup ended .
    -Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer +, ESPN2&3.
    -The many people Tweeting, Facebooking & updating games so I can follow when not near the telly.

Thanks,

Leo

6. soonerscotty says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you all…

My footy related thanks include:
    -New Liverpool ownership
    -great tv/internet coverage of the EPL
    -Never Walking Alone…I’m really thankful for all the fans of all the clubs who take part in this community and others.

7. Steve Malbasa says:

Some footy things I am thankful for.
    1) The fact that the clubs are just that, clubs, and not franchises as in the American model. That franchise model steal loyalty and passion from fans and players to the point where all of the big four sports leagues view us as wallets to be emptied with a high powered siphon, almost like watching Walmart duke it out I know that the ticket prices in England aren’t going down this year either, but the relationship between the clubs and their fans is more of a priority then here.
    2) The fact that the two dimestore cowboys that chose to disregard this model just got their asses handed to them financially.
    3) There seems to be a plethora of great games this year, almost one superlative one a weekend. Arsenal/ Tottenham last weekend was a classic
    4) My club Fulham. The fact that they gave more Americans a collective chance than any other team in Europe brought me to them. The way they do business is what has kept me there, to the point where I’m not going anywhere, even if there were no Yanks at the club. Keep Dempsey, it might be another relegation fight, we may need him this year.
    5) The fact that my four year old son likes to kick a ball around with me. Of course, then is quickly gives way to digging in the dirt, but hey, that’s great too.
    6) Many thing about the USMNT and how far they have come since I was young.

8. peter chicago says:

i am so thankful for EPL IN HD …..yeah!!!!

happy thanksgiving e’one!

9. Sir Guy says:

I am thankful for……ITVN (RIP).

I subscribed to ITVN four years ago in an attempt to watch Super 14 rugby. Rugby was almost immediately pulled due to rights issues. There were these guys on the ITVN forum raving about all things EPL. Since I couldn’t watch rugby I started watching EPL action, joined a fantasy league, became hooked, started watching FSC, stumbled upon EPKTalk and, well, here I am.

Happy Thanksgiving indeed. :-)

10. Fernando says:

Thankful for this site and how it always provides insight from all views not just from smug journo’s.

I’m also thankful for the access to the Premier League we have here in the U.S. Sometimes it’s a bit frustrating with how it is presented but at the end of the day, there is never any doubt about whether we can watch the big clashes. Thankfully those days are long gone.

11. eplnfl says:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. We have much to be thankful for and part of what I am thankful for is the great people that I have meet through this site.

12. SantaClaus says:

I am thankful that I am able to watch as much soccer as is available in this country. It is mind-boggling that I can watch almost any game from the EPL, a lot of games from Spain, Italy and Germany on FSC, FS Espanyol, ESPN2, ESPND, foxsoccer.tv, espn3 and Gol TV. Add to that the Champions League and Europa League and we are all very fortunate that we can watch them here in the USA.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.