SAT, 8:45AM ET
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

Seattle 2-1 Columbus: Seattle Wins US Open Cup

Seattle 2 1 Columbus: Seattle Wins US Open Cup

It was a fantastic final in Seattle, Washington as 31,311, a new record attendance in the US Open Cup Final, jammed inside Qwest Field to watch their first Championship Final involving their Sounders and a possible repeat to keep the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. This tournament since 1914 had plenty of action, pace and excitement from the players all the way up to the supporters in the stadium.

The Columbus Crew got their first chance to get on the score sheet when they took advantage of poor defending in the 24th minute. Frankie Hejduk on the near side got a nice ball and entered the Sounders area. A quick pass to Steven Lenhart who quickly found Kevin Burns and the shot was slotted inside the far post for the early one goal to nil lead. The small group of traveling supporters from Columbus were celebrating as they felt it was a solid start for their side.

But the Sounders were pressing and fighting their way to get level. The hero of the night stepped up to the plate in the 38th minute to get the match leveled as Sanna Nyassi fought hard to get his first of two. Andy Gruenebaum came off his line as he saw the ball crossed in and punched it away. Stuck in no man’s land the Sounders took advantage as Nathan Sturgis settled the ball, Nyassi got behind it and ripped a hard shot for the equalizer. Qwest Field roared with energy as their side leveled the score.

Nyassi would earn his second of the match in the 66th minute as his side was waiting for a chance to take the lead. A nice cross by Fredy Montero from the near side got to the middle of the field. On the bounce Steve Zakuani got his head onto the ball and aimed it at the net. A frantic Gruenebaum tried to track it, but as he leapt the shot hits the crossbar and out. But sadly he landed inside the net and a wide open goal for Nyassi as he calmly converted his brace.

Head Coach Robert Warzycha had one more substitution left to try and force extra time as he knew his side was behind. Robbie Rogers who has been recovering from injury got his chance to try and make a difference by replacing Eddie Gaven in the 81st minute. Four minutes later Rogers got his opportunity as he received a great ball from Frankie Hejduk in the area and out of nowhere Rogers hard shot nailed the crossbar. That would be the last real chance for the Crew to force extra time.

After ninety minutes of play and four minutes of second half stoppage time, the Seattle Sounders won their second Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Championship and made history on Tuesday, October 5th. Not only are they the first side in the Major Soccer League era to win the cup in back to back seasons, but they are the first side to do it since the New York Pancyprian Freedoms of Queens, NY in 1982-83 seasons.

It has been twenty-seven years since a professional or amateur side has attempted to defend and kept their US Open Cup Championship in consecutive seasons and to be fair the 2010 Championship Final was worthy of such a record breaker. Outside of Columbus, Ohio & Seattle, Washington you were never disappointed in this year’s Open Cup Final.

Right now the Seattle Sounders will return to the CONCACAF Champions League in the 2011-12 qualifying round, but at the moment the three year consecutive champions New York Greek Americans are next on the Sounders radar as they won the Cup from 1967 thru 1969.

13 Responses to Seattle 2-1 Columbus: Seattle Wins US Open Cup

1. Charles says:

Daniel stepping out with a non-NY post !!!

The crowd is always a big part of any game in Seattle. They were the loudest I have heard. I had to miss the trophy presentation….I was walking alone outside the stadium. 31k in Seattle are having trouble hearing their phone calls today because of ringing in their ears.

Great to see an ex-USL Sounder ( Nyassi ) come up huge.

I don’t think the CCL is official yet, just a stong probability of qualifying.

2. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Like I said Charles you want to write about the Sounders on here, go right ahead and let the Gaffer know. But I have always written Other articles outside the Red Bulls. You’re just to lazy to notice. ;-)

• Charles says:

I wasn’t making fun of you. I appreciate all you do.
      I couldn’t do it, I would love to, time mainly plus I wouldn’t be any good at it.

And I know you were joking around, so let me get you back:
      Were you ‘too lazy’ to add the extra “o” on too ?

I hope that is correct that the Sounders are in CCL again. Inspite of the terrible results this year, the Sounders could easily make it out of group stage. No doubt there are some really good teams in CCL, but MLS teams are some of them.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

I am never lazy when I type my articles. ;) But I do admit that I might have accidentally forgot to hit the”O” key a second time. :D So I will raise my hand and say “My Bad”.

3. ryan says:

CCL berth is official, according to CONCACAF’s website.

what a match. what a night. go sounders!

4. Tom says:

Looked like a fun night. Congrats Sounders fan. I’m looking forward to the MLS having 3 Northwest teams next year.

5. Bolacuadrada says:

That was a great game. Congratulations Seattle Sounders.
    Go LA Galaxy.

6. BA14 says:

I actually saw the final on espn.com’s main page.

7. '11-12 CCL says:

WTF was up with the uncertainty regarding the CCL berth? There should be no uncertainty at all. The USOC winner should ALWAYS go to the CCL. Without the CCL, the tourney is nothing. Very irresponsible of Gulati to even consider taking the berth away. Or to have any uncertainty at this point of the tourney. Ridiculous.

• Charles says:

I have to agree with the uncertainty commnet by 11-12 CCL….and let’s say for some reason they don’t want to, or are debating not having it as a spot.

You decide AFTER the game is over ?@!?!
      So if Columbus and they say no, the first thing everyone says is, well they would have given it to Seattle with a bigger fan base.

IT HAS TO BE DECIDED BEFORE THE TOURNEY STARTS !

8. Tom says:

How do the assign the CONCACAF Champion’s League spots?

• Lysander says:

1. Supporters shield (best MLS record)
      2. MLS cup winner
      3. MLS cup runner up
      4. USOC winner

1 & 2 go directly to group play.
      3 & 4 have a qualifying home and away game to get to group play.

9. Daniel Feuerstein says:

I hope everyone listened to my US Open Cup Final Review show on my podcast show. I had George Halkidis on the show. He is the General Manager of the New York Pancyprian Freedoms.

You can scroll down on the home page and listen to the player or click here