WED, 2:45PM ET
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

Premier League Gameweek 3, Sunday Matches: Open Thread

Premier League Gameweek 3, Sunday Matches: Open Thread

It’s another Sunday of Premier League football, so feel free to post your observations, questions or opinions about the games in the comments section below. Unusually for the Premier League, there are several games overlapping each other today from the early kick-off between Bolton Wanderers and Birmingham City, followed by Liverpool versus West Bromwich Albion and, at the same time, Sunderland and Manchester City. And last, but not least, the crucial game between Everton and Aston Villa which Bob Bradley will be watching closely, I’m sure.

Update: Now that the results for all of the Premier League matches this weekend are in, what match was the most exciting for you? Vote below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Premier League Gameweek 3, Sunday Matches: Open Thread

1. The Gaffer says:

Nice finish by Darren Bent. As for Manchester City, I have no doubts about their home performances but I always feel as if they can’t seem to put it together when they travel away. Tevez should have scored, but Sunderland definitely deserved to get something out of this game.

Nice to see two top six teams losing this weekend (Spurs against Wigan, and Man City against Sunderland). Variety is the spice of life.

2. The Gaffer says:

Listening to BBC Radio 5 Live commentary of Aston Villa v Everton on my iPad using the BBC News iPad app (which has a live radio feature). Very nice!

3. charlestace says:

If you have a friend who wonders what the big deal is about the English Premier League, arrange for that friend to catch a re-airing of Aston Villa – Everton. The last 30 minutes of the match have consisted of electric end-to-end action, bringing the American goalkeepers at either end of the pitch into play quite often. I’m a neutral with respect to this particular game, but I’ve been on the edge of my seat.

• The Gaffer says:

Excellent point. I’m following the game with a live radio commentary from BBC Five Live, which sounds really exciting. Alan Green just said that Brad Friedel deserves to be man of the match. He said this match was all Everton, but Villa held out for the three points.

In conversation with an American last week who has only recently gotten into the Premier League, he told me why he was so excited about the Premier League season so far this year, which is his first. He said compared to the World Cup, the Premier League was:

1) More exciting… because of the fast paced nature of the game
      2) More aggressive… because referees aren’t as soft as the FIFA refs in the World Cup, and
      3) Better to watch… the combination of those above two attributes means that the games are more exciting.

• The Gaffer says:

I just watched the Villa vs Everton game, and boy, what a match that was! In the past few weeks I’ve been criticized quite a bit by the Chelsea supporters because I said Chelsea were so good, they’re boring. The Premier League needs more games like Villa against Everton than Chelsea against West Brom.

• VillaPark says:

As a Villa supporter, I get excited for all of their games, but for the past several years I have always looked forward to playing Everton because the matches usually are fast-paced and the teams go all-out for the win. This game was no exception, and I was on pins and needles as Villa dug in and tried to defend their goal for the last 30 minutes. What a win!

• VillaPark says:

I agree 100%. If I have to show a non-football fan a game or two, I would much rather choose a high quality Premier League game instead of any of the World Cup matches.

Much better play, less theatrics from players, and refs that allow more play to happen.

4. S.A.F.C says:

The best game was defenatley safc v man city and i am not just saying that because i am a sunderland fan! Sunderland wihout a doubt should of got something. We simply out classed manchester city.
    Gaffer i agree with your first comment but we dont realy want to hear about your i pad im not getting at you!

5. John Gregory says:

West Ham looked like a coherent team for about the first 20 minutes of Saturday’s game. Then Man U remembered who they were, and decimated them.

West Ham seems like a lock for relegation if they keep playing like this.

6. Davis Hirsch says:

Hey Gaffer,

Got the video of Tevez’s shocking miss on my blog, The US Footballer. Check it out…