MON, 3PM ET
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

Nani Is Happy With Progress

Nani Is Happy With Progress

Two seasons ago, Nani was hauled off at halftime in a lacklustre display against Tottenham. The Portuguese winger then watched his club come from 2 goals down to win 5-2 and keep their title charge alive. Fast forward to this summer and Nani has cemented his place as an exciting winger looking to emulate the large shoes of countryman Cristiano Ronaldo as the next United wideman. His performance against Arsenal in United’s 3-1 Premier League win last season really turned the screw for Nani and the Red Devils faithful saw the potential that Nani provides.

Nani himself is now finally convinced that the Red Devils fans have finally seen his true value. “I feel more confident in this club,” he said. “I realise where I am and I know I am doing well.” The wideman had a disappointing World Cup with Portugal as they were eliminated in the second round by eventual winners Spain. He is looking to put that disappointment behind him and improve on his performances last season. The winger said: “People saw a different player last season because I worked hard every day. I improved a lot but there is a lot to learn yet and I hope to start this season better than the last.”

Nani will look to play regularly in tandem with other electric winger Antonio Valencia and capture Nani’s third Premier League medal this season. If he produces the form he showed from Christmas onwards, he will be on the team sheet more often and could become a key player in United’s push to regain the title this season.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Nani Is Happy With Progress

1. Soccergirl says:

I agree it was great performances from Nani in the last few months of the season, something that Manchester United needed after Ronaldo departure. I hope he can carry on were he left off, because it is good to see players with this much flare when they have the confidence.

2. Devils Advocate says:

Bryan..”The wideman had a disappointing World Cup with Portugal”…Indeed he did, being sidelined with a shoulder injury and having to withdraw from Portugal’s squad. Apart from that, there’s no doubt Nani’s performances have improved and his confidence has returned.

This developing squad is more like the Uniteds of old where attacking threats are not limited to the strikers but appear from midfield too. I see breakthroough seasons for Gabriel Obertan, Tom Cleverley and possibly Darron Gibson, all of whom can score great goals in addition to the established Rooney, Berbatov, Valencia, Nani and Fletcher.

• Troy says:

I’m still not sold on Obertan. However, I love Gibson and Cleaverley. I know SAF said he wants to keep Cleaverley on the No. 1 squad, but I have a feeling he’ll spend a lot of time with the reserves or out on loan (probably just like Diouf). Knowing SAF, get ready for another hair-pulling year of watching Carrick get passed by and Hargreaves (and Anderson) recover from their 1,684,654,068th injuries.

• Devils Advocate says:

Troy…I see Cleverley and Obertan replacing Scholes and Giggs respectively. With Welbeck and Diouf now going out on loan for the season, I think Anderson may leave for Portugal. Hargreaves’ knee problems seem never ending and I suspect he may end up being sold or retiring from the game. That would be a great loss for United. If Gibson can follow in Fletcher’s footsteps he will do well. Time for Carrick to go methinks.

• Troy says:

Good points sir. I too think as well that Hargreaves will end up retiring. It’s too bad considering the immense amount of skill he brings to the midfield.
          I’d really like to see Cleaverley and Obertan get some time in the lesser FA Cup or Carling Cup fixtures to get that cup experience under their belt as well.
          Outside of everyone we’ve named, I’ve been thinking about Park a lot lately. He had a phenomenal WC and I hope he brings some of that form back with him. Given he’s not the best for league fixtures, but I’ll take him in the starting XI for a CL match any day.

3. WHat? says:

Are you implying that Nani played and disappointed in the WC?…
    How can one be disapointing for Portugal by getting knocked out by Spain when..you didnt even play?

• Troy says:

I was thinking the same thing. He was ruled out with an injury weeks before the tournament even kicked off.

Quieroz -”Dammit Nani get out there and make something happen!!”
      Nani – “Coach, I have two broken legs and a really bad cough…and I’m not even on the roster.”
      Quieroz – “You are disappoint!!”

*side note* I’m aware that it was a shoulder injury and not two broken legs.