SUN, 8:30AM ET
SUN, 11AM ET
EVE
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Who Will Win The World Cup Now That Brazil Is Out?

Who Will Win The World Cup Now That Brazil Is Out?

Now that Brazil is out of the 2010 World Cup after a underwhelming performance against a very strong Dutch team, the favorites no longer have a chance to win the tournament. But who do you think will now win the World Cup?

Before we get to the poll below, I would like to add that I thought Brazil’s performance today was dire. For a team with so much talent, why did they spend so much time arguing with the referee and trying to convince the official to award yellow cards against the Dutch? Yes, the Dutch are a physical side and Arjen Robben has a penchant for diving. But those antics by Brazil completely got them focused on the wrong aspects of the game.

Felipe Melo must feel a lot like David Beckham did in the 1998 World Cup. In a game that Brazil had the advantage, they quickly threw it away when Melo dug his boot into Robben who had just fallen to the floor. Sure, Robben is annoying and he likes he win free kicks. But for Melo to kick him so violently the way that he did is completely uncalled for. It lost Brazil the game just as David Beckham’s kick out lost England the game against Argentina in 1998.

The Netherlands today was lucky. They didn’t play up to their abilities but they did well to come back against a tough Brazilian side. And now they face the prospect of playing a World Cup semi-final match on Tuesday. Congratulations to the Dutch.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Who Will Win The World Cup Now That Brazil Is Out?

1. Peter says:

Felipe Melo’s red card is a little different from Beckham’s. That game was level when it happened, Brazil were already down by a goal and were obviously quite frustrated. His send off certainly hurt their efforts in coming back, but I think it was more a symbol of their frustration than a reason for their loss.

2. hank says:

That’s a little over the top. Brazil was not “dire” — the Netherlands isn’t North Korea, and it was always going to be tough to break them down. They should have done better though, if Felipe Melo hadn’t earned his stupid red card I’d have put money on them drawing even.

And the Netherlands didn’t play up to their ability? They came back from a goal down against Brazil!

Good game. Too bad the sending off took a little of the edge off what was shaping up to be an amazing finish.

• The Gaffer says:

This was one of the worst Brazil performances I’ve seen in quite some time. As for Holland, they did wonderfully well to come back and win it. But like I said, they didn’t even play to the best of their abilities. We all know the Dutch can play better than that, no matter how good it was.

3. Raatzie says:

Coulda seen this coming when they didn’t select Lucas.

(Trying and failing to keep straight face)

4. Gary Talarino says:

I know this much – Dunga and Melo had best go Nazi-war-criminal-style and hide out in Argentina rather than go back home after today.

This tournament is Argentina’s for the taking.

5. Tim says:

I think Brazil played pretty poorly against France in the last World Cup as well. So many good attacking players yet Dunga never got the best out of them. Argentina or Spain for me will win it.

6. Andri says:

“Germany’s arrogance will ultimately cost them” Said the commander of French forces in 1939.

7. rej4sl says:

go the Orange – we were screaming here when the Orange took the lead – goodbye Brazil – would so much like to see the Netherlands win the World Cup – would like Ghana to do it too but that is too much to ask for !!!!

8. Fee says:

Man Brazil have mouth on them! I thought Robinho was gonna eat the ref at one point. Okay the Dutch were a bit flimsy around the ankles but take a look at yourselves Brazil!

What I will say is what is up with Van Bommel? Must have taken a protection potion or some shit he stole from Hogwarts cos he made at least 3 tackles that were bookable and by my mathematics… that’s a purple card!!

9. Gary says:

Yeah, Melo’s in trouble. Dunga? he’ll probably catch heat in Brazil, but I thought his tactics had been winning out convincingly up until this match.
    Germany v Argentina is where it’s at right now. I’m hoping for an epic encounter.
    I wish Japan were playing Spain.
    Haven’t Germany looked the most convincing? It seems so to me. Argentina made the best out of a mediocre performance in beating Mexico. Germany crushed the English.
    Germany defeat Argentina, then Spain, face the Dutch in the final and defeat them.
    That or…… GHANA WIN THE WORLD CUP! That would be awesome.

• Devils Advocate says:

Germany have little chance of beating Champions Elect (IMO), Argentina. The Latin American outfit have the better quality players in more of the positions and Messi has proved the best player yet to score in the tournament. For me, they are the best in the tournament, though I would like to see Spain take the crown.

• Devils Advocate says:

So much for that assessment! Germany snuffed Argentina out with comparative ease. What an unexpected but superb result. Guess it’s time to return to football school…lol.

10. The Gaffer says:

One more thing about Holland. I love their supporters. Definitely the best supporters in the world and they know how to party. Let’s hope the Dutch can go all the way to the final to make it a World Cup party atmosphere!

• Ed says:

Holland? Just becuse they have been so close so many times does not make them due it just makes them lucky and full of heart yes I admire theuir heart but unfortunatley they have not played anyone difficult enough and their talent pool is not all that!!! Argentina will embarass them if they get there!!!! Holland will be Childsplay to the Argentine players!!!

11. sharkguy says:

for all the bitching about Van Bommel, Michel Bastos could’ve been tossed too…

The Brazilians showed no heart and just complained when things were not going their way.

12. kwakwa says:

Since the beginning, I have thought Argentina would win. Nothing has happened to change my view. Argentina have the best quality side, the most talent on the pitch compared to any other side. And Argentina have the hunger, the desire, the determination to win. Argentina will lift the World Cup.

13. Ellen says:

I am a Dutch girl and I feel guilty cause I thought Brazil would win. But I was so thrilled when they made they’re huge comeback. To me they’re heroes right now. They didn’t play there best but that comeback was amazing. When they won I was so excited. No matter what happens Orange made history. But ofcourse I still hope they’ll win. For me I think that Argentinia, Germany and Spain have the best chances but the Netherlands might win! Oh and by the way, I love our supporters and I love to support myself. Dressing in orange and cheering is awesome :) and when we won, I think you could hear it in the whole country. Go Orange :)

14. SantaClaus says:

Before the tournamentbegan I picked Spain and I’m going to stick with them even if they will have to go to the final through Argentina or Germany. Holland should make it to the final as they have an easier route but I think if Ghana get to the Semis the home crowd could help Ghana upset Holland.

The first game loss by Spain has helped them because they were favored by many to lift the cup and that loss was a wakeup call. They have too much quality both in their starting 11 and on the bench.

So it’s Spain for me.

15. aol says:

how can anyone use what has happened thus far to figure out who will win the world cup? argentina have looked good…against lower-level teams like Nigeria, South Korea, Greece, and Mexico. To win they will now have to go through what looks like Germany, Spain, and Netherlands. It’s way too early to say they are favorites just because of the previous four teams they played.

Someone mentioned that Brazil has looked the best to this point. Again, they are step up in class from North Korea, Ivory Coast, defensive Portugal and Chile – but in their first game with a team similar in class they go down 2-1.

16. Brn442 says:

Gaffer, I’m confused: You’re saying that both the Brazilians were dire and the Dutch were Lucky? Both views are a little over the top. It was a cracking game someone had to lose. The Brazilians lost their discipline on set pieces and composure after the second goal, something a defensive minded Dunga would be disappointed about. I’m sorry – you don’t get “lucky” against Brazil in a world cup quarter final.

17. Ed says:

Absolutly correct it all hinges on Argentina vs Germany and Germany lost in a friendly match just recently against Argentina!!! Not to mention some of Argentinas Stars were not even there “Messi” was amoung the absent players!!!! Germany should start packing their bags now!!! Should be a cake walk for the Argentines now Congrats Maradonna you just made up for all the bad mojo you had way to go back to idol status

18. Ben says:

Spain is the best team right now, the way they control the ball is totally amazing, on paper they are the best. I am pulling for Uruguay now, gotta love a small nation doing well, I think they will beat the Dutch, the Dutch will be over confident, even if they win today, they didn’t impress me, It’s Brazil who lost today, they stopped to play in the second half.

19. RVPFan says:

Boy, EPL talk is one helluva place to criticise about everything, let alone a team who just worked their socks off to pull off an upset beating Brazil. People making astonishing comments like “Dutch will be overconfident and Uruguay will beat them”, “Argentina will embarrass Holland”, “Worst Brazil performance”. People just can’t swallow that the Brazilians are humans too and are beatable when you play with a good plan and work hard every single seconds of the 90 minutes. Oranje deserved to win. There is no second thoughts. Just because Holland did things to disrupt Brazil’s free flow football doesn’t necessarily mean, it is the worst Brazil performance in decade. Why would they be overconfident? If you haven’t noticed, this Dutch side is serious. This side hasn’t lost in 24 consecutive matches. This side has Wesley Sneijder. Enuff said.

20. kwakwa says:

I am not basing my opinion that Argentina will lift the Cup solely on their performance thus far, though they have performed better than any of the other remaining sides (including Germany, which lost to Serbia).

Argentina should win owing to the combination of several key factors:

1) Argentina’s quality individually is unmatched by Spain or Germany or any other side in the world, including Brazil (RIP). They have five strikers/forwards, any one of which is better than anyone else on any other side: Higuain, Tevez, Messi, Milito (who hasn’t even played in the World Cup but was the hottest striker in Europe, responsible for Inter’s Scudetto and Champion’s League victory where he virtually singlehandedly took apart Bayern Munich), and Aguero. Inter’s success was due much more to Milito and Cambiasso than to Wesley Sneijder (who is brilliant, but did get lucky against Brazil). They have attacking midfielders, and not only Di Maria and Maxi Rodríguez, who not only can run the flanks and cross but are scoring threats themselves. They have the best holding midfielder in the world, Mascherano (the second best in the world, Cambiasso, didn’t even make the squad). This offensive powerhouse permits the Argentine defenders to stay back and defend, and as a unit the Argentine defenders are better than the German or Dutch defenders. Their goalkeeper may be Argentina’s weakest link, but he is not that bad and hasn’t made any blunders.

2) Argentina’s demonstrated ability to function as a cohesive unit which is at least as good as the sum of its parts, and often better. They do not need to rely on any one player or two players to score. If Argentina perform middling – with no one playing above their usual – they will win. Germany or Holland cannot defeat Argentina unless several of their players play the best game of their lives – and get lucky as well.

3) They are playing loose and happy, without distracting infighting or undue pressures from the media. Ironically, this is owing to Maradona. The entire world, including the Argentine media and people, essentially concluded that Maradona’s appointment as coach meant that Argentina could not make a serious bid to win the World Cup, and therefore expectations have been low. And Maradona bonds well with the players, who respect him and are inspired by him.

4) Last but not least, Argentina are hungry and determined to lift the World Cup. I would be very surprised if Argentina they were to choke under pressure like England did (and Brazil did against Holland, which was not a surprise to me) – even if the Germans score first. And it is highly unlikely that the Germans will score more than once.

21. Ben says:

Argentina? Lol Germany just destroyed them, the Germans look really strong.

22. Jay says:

Well…

I did vote for Germany in the poll, and gutting Argentina doesn’t make me regret that decision…

23. kwakwa says:

Looks like I was a bit wrong in my assessment of Argentina/Germany – only a bit.

I’ll get my coat now.

24. shanghtin says:

Holland wil be world chanpion lol !! hup holland @

25. Here comes holland says:

Holland is going to scoreand win the world cup!! they are stronger and have soooo much energy with really good players i think they will beat Spain,and make the whole world cheer for HOLLLAANND!!