SAT, 7:45AM ET
BARCA
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA
LEI

USA or England? It's Time to Show Which Side You're On

british bulldog USA or England? It's Time to Show Which Side You're On
When I wrote a recent post entitled 8 Rules of World Cup ‘Fight Club,’ I encouraged soccer fans to rise up, begin talking the World Cup up to non-believers and to stand firm against the sports fans who laugh and joke at the sport we love.

My “call to arms” was met with a mixed response. Some readers felt that it wasn’t worth spending time on people who will never ‘get’ the game. Others felt the article struck a nerve and they agreed with the points I raised.

Now, however, I have a message to all soccer fans no matter what side of the fence you fall under. It’s time for you to get the word out about the World Cup. Yes, it’s time for a grass roots campaign to make sure everyone in your circle knows about the upcoming tournament whether they’re interested in the sport or not.

When I was in the drive-thru line the other day at my local Starbucks, she commented that she loved the soccer shirts I wore and we struck up a conversation about where you can buy them. I followed up and asked her about the World Cup. She had no idea what the World Cup was and she had no idea it was going to begin in less than two weeks. I gulped, realized how silly I felt after I remembered the article I wrote from a couple of years ago with my prediction that soccer would be a mainstream sport in the States beginning this summer and then thought long and hard about what she said. The reality is that not everyone is a sports fan. Not everyone watches ESPN. Not everyone is as mad about soccer as we are. BUT, everyone should at least know that the World Cup exists and when it’s on. Whether to choose to watch it or not is not important. But it is crucial that everyone you come in contact with know that it exists and it’s on.

Now I’m not convinced that my local barista is going to become a massive soccer fan overnight. But I am confident that if she gave the tournament half a chance, she would end up being interested in something from the tournament. Maybe it’ll be the beautiful stories from South Africa, or the incredible athleticism of the players. Whatever it may be I won’t know, but what I do know is that I’m going to make it my goal to ensure that there is no excuse for her not knowing that the World Cup is on.

When you think about the number of people you come into contact with, or the number who walk past your desk at work, drive past you on the road or you meet at random during a normal day, how many of them know that the World Cup is on TV this summer?

That’s why I’ve decided to release a poster to help you get the word out about the World Cup this summer. I encourage you to post it in your office, on your bulletin board at school, in your car window or somewhere publicly where you can be sure that people will see it.

There are two versions for you to choose from. Both of them are meant to be a talking point and to make people intrigued enough to find out what the big deal is. By watching this one game, I’m convinced that they’ll be hooked. The two poster choices are:

“Beat England” poster (color),

“Beat England” poster (black and white),

“Beat USA” poster (color),

“Beat USA” poster (black and white).

With so many of our readers supporting either the United States or England, it’s only fair to make both posters available. Pick which side you’ll support on June 12th and then download the poster today. Print it out. Make copies of it. E-mail it to your friends or colleagues and make a statement. The time to act is now. With less than 10 days to go before the tournament kicks off, it’s (y)our duty to make sure that your circle of friends and strangers know how massive the game will be and that the World Cup is just days away. Don’t delay.

It’s time for you to decide which side you’re on. Whether you want England to beat the USA. Or if you want the USA to beat England. Choose now and share your comments in the section below.

A gigantic thank-you to EPL Talk reader Stephen Feehily who donated his time to create both of these beautifully designed posters. You can follow Stephen on Twitter.

In addition to the posters, Stephen has also created desktop wallpapers using the same above posters. Feel free to download the one for your resolution and then add it to your laptop or desktop to show your true colors:

• “Beat England” wallpaper (800 resolution),
  • “Beat England” wallpaper (1024 resolution),
  • “Beat England” wallpaper (1280 resolution),
  • “Beat England” wallpaper (1680 resolution),
  • “Beat USA” wallpaper (800 resolution),
  • “Beat USA” wallpaper (1024 resolution),
  • “Beat USA” wallpaper (1280 resolution),
  • “Beat USA” wallpaper (1680 resolution).
  • This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to USA or England? It's Time to Show Which Side You're On

1. soccer fan says:

USA gonna beat England…

2. man99utd says:

2 World Wars and 1 World Cup, ENGLAND, ENGLAND……

3. fib says:

I’m not English nor American, but England is going to win 99%.

4. Bishopville Red says:

I’m not sure why so many people are focusing on USA v England. You have two other big games to get through too.

SB

5. Allen says:

Soccer is the biggest game played in the most part of the world so far. Its a hurt breaking game and has the huge entertainment also!!!!!

6. ovalball says:

Gaffer, I assume you’ve blocked Jesse from downloading the “Beat USA” poster. ;-)

7. tonyspeed says:

i like the poster but am trying to figure out where the bulldog came from. i went to georgia tech so bulldogs in any form repulse me. lol.

• The Gaffer says:

It’s the British Bulldog!

• CTBlues says:

That would be ok Gaffer if we were playing Britian, but we aren’t we are playing England it should be a kitten ;). I just don’t get why England, Scotland, Wales, and N. Ireland get there own teams for FIFA, but they only have one team for the Olympics.

• CTBlues says:

Also the only bulldogs in the world are the US Marines!

• I don’t know either but i do know we have never been able to have a football team in the olympics because we go under the GB flag. Basically if we wanted to have a GB team we would lose the right to have seperate nations and would have to play every tourney under GB. That was never going to happen so alas no football team in the olympics.

Although I did hear that in 2012 we will be able to put forward a GB team for the first time without losing the right to play normal football comp’s as seperate countries.

• tonyspeed says:

ok. i didn’t realise britain had other national animals. interesting to know.

8. Nick says:

I was born in England & lived there for the first six years of my life. My mother is American, so I’m a dual-citizen. I’m a die-hard Arsenal fan, and my citizenship predicament has always caused me to put club before country. Don’t get me wrong… I’m extremely excited about the World Cup (I’m even going to a few group games), but this year I’m finding it incredibly hard to choose between England or the USA. I really want to see both teams go far in the tournament.

9. 2Tix4Chelsea says:

The game will be a draw. Perhaps England gets lucky with a few more own goals.

It would be nice is the USMNT dominated the world like the USWNT.

Like TonySpeed the bulldog makes me sick, but since they only beat my team once every 7 attempts (Go Gators) it doesnt bother me nearly as much.

10. Mike says:

I am probably going to be in Seattle on the day of this match, anyone know a good soccer pub with properly hooked up HDTV to watch this game at?

• 2Tix4Chelsea says:

Contact the Seattle Sounders and ask someone in the marketing department for a pub suggestion. Dont rely on anyone that cant confirm the HD and the competance of the proprietor to hook it all up correctly.

• DukeofNelson says:

I’d be surprised if the George and Dragon didn’t have HDTV, but it will also be very busy. You might also call up the other Seattle pubs on SoccerBars.com so you have a plan B.

11. Stephen Feehily says:

Damn, now I’m gonna have to actually update my blog!! Hope everyone likes the posters. I hope even more that they are effective in garnering interest in the World Cup. This is my first World Cup in the States and the lack of interest is somewhat disturbing…
      Who do I fancy? Ireland!!

12. Gaz Hunt says:

Going to put one up on my door along with the WSC World Cup bracket.

13. ranndino says:

Excellent idea with the posters.

I must say that just from anecdotal evidence a lot more people are aware that the World Cup is about to begin. I think the dramatic increase in coverage of the tournament in mainstream US sports media has had its effect. I was at a Memorial Day party the other day & everyone there came up to me asking about who I think would win, etc. Many also said that they will be sure to watch some games.

Also, I when I was grocery shopping I noticed a Sports Illustrated issue completely devoted to the World Cup (2010 Preview). Things have definitely changed from years past.

14. ranndino says:

Also, anyone who knows me has certainly not been able to escape my World Cup fever and is probably sick of my posts about it on Facebook & Twitter by now (as well as bringing it in real world conversations), so I have certainly done my part :)

15. Jason says:

Go Americans! The time to step up is now.

16. Eious says:

The side you were born should be the sign that you support….period

Neither side will make a big dent in the WC anyway

17. jose says:

god save the team. i mean queen. lol

18. Tyson says:

I’m glad people can’t delete their posts on this blog.

I’m going to call you guys out on your views right after the game and after the final match when we see who qualifies and comes out at the top of the group.

• Scott Alexander says:

That raises a good point. You should have a thread for the readers group predictions as well as the pairing ramifications.

19. eo5 says:

Go USA!!!

20. I got two extremely weird bets on the line.

USA- Dos
      England- Cero

21. Skill4Ever says:

Yet again, in the USA . in a USA Game, we all had to put up with very crude British accent and all their Propaganda and non-stop brainwashing, even thou the brits had nothing at all do with anything in this game, we are forced to hear the following crap in everygame: Liverpool, Stoke, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, blag blag blag, how arrogant of the British morons to keep trying to brainwash the whole US soccer fans with crap., Its all very sick!

We must Boycott ESPN like they are Boycotting American commentators!
      What a SHAME that the very biased and Crude British/Australian 100% run FUX Network, The FUX Soccer Channel, and all Soccer on ESPN (English Soccer Propaganda Network).

ESPN has laid-off all their American commentator for the World Cup in June 2010 in South Africa and REPLACED them ALL with the very Crude SCABS from the UK.
      I guess we will have to watch all the games on univision.
      (Its high Time to BOYCOTT ESPN).

Think about it, USA will be playing in the World Cup and all the media JOB Opportunities have been given to the dead last in football, the British.

With all the Daily British Brainwashing Crap (BBC) and all their daily British Propaganda on SKY, FUX Soccer, Yahoo and ESPN: SO just how long ago did England win anything, well over 44 years ago in 1966, but even in 1966, it was a very disputed world cup, lots of cheating with refs for England and even in the Final, England got a goal which NEVER cross the goal line.

Here is the list of Championships ENGLAND has NEVER EVER, let me repeat,
      NEVER EVER WON:

European Nations Championships.
      FIFA Confederations Cup.
      FIFA U-20 World Cup,
      FIFA U-19 World Cup,
      FIFA U-17 World Cup,
      Olympics Football,
      FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup.
      Futsal World Cup.

I could go on, but you get the point.
      WOW all the daily propaganda and nothing to show for it for over 44 years.

PS: Again the only time England has ever played the USA in the world Cup. USA WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Just so no one forgets, In the World Cup, USA has a 100% winning record against England. YES 100%.
      Can’t get better then that. And even if England get lucky against the US, the record will still be 1-1. LOL!
      I rest my Case.

• ianm says:

Crumbs!

Thank god all americans don’t have a chip on their shoulder the size of the one you are obviously carrying!

You are American right?

• JUNT says:

You rest your case with one of the most poorly worded and misspelled rants probably ever to hit this website. Nice one. Go USA right?

22. Angelo says:

USA for the win, Dos a Cero. The ol bill cant mess wiv us.

23. Cord4Gooner says:

I just want England, their fans and media to get more and more confident …. You guys are the favorites, the pressure will be mounted squarely on your backs…. USA has the talent to surprise, sure the Americans are underdogs ….. I am just saying don’t get to cocky and you better not count your eggs just yet!
      USA 2 England 1