WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Chance Encounter With Daniel Hernandez of FC Dallas

Chance Encounter With Daniel Hernandez of FC Dallas

It was Saturday morning and I needed to run a few errands with my 2 year old son. I thought I would take him to Patriot Place to walk around and get some exercise. Patriot Place is adjacent to Gillette Stadium where the New England Revolution play. The Revs would be playing FC Dallas later that night.

My son during his walk made it clear he wanted to go to Dunkin Donuts. As we walked in I noticed many people wearing FC Dallas gear. I had to ask the gentleman behind me in line if he was a player for FC Dallas. He told me he did play for the club. He mentioned they were playing the Revolution last night.

This player couldn’t have been more approachable. We talked for a few minutes about the upcoming game. We talked about the fact that Shalrie Joseph was out for the Revolution. He thought Joseph being out would help his club last night . He also mentioned that he was a former player for the Revolution. He also stated he played in midfield.

This gentleman was just pleasant to me and my son. He said that he had three of his own. He was telling this to a perfect stranger. It was only about 5 minutes long, but it left a very positive impression on me.

As I left Dunkin Donuts, I wished the player good luck tonight and shook his hand. He then told me he was Daniel Hernandez.

I am not going to lie and tell you I knew this player. I am a Fulham blogger and mostly follow the EPL. I do watch Revolution matches, but was not familiar with him.

Eight hours later I turned on the Revolution vs. FC Dallas match on television. The announcers were talking about this former Revolution player to watch out for in the midfield. They were talking about Daniel Hernandez. The announcers mentioned he was wearing the captain’s band.

FC Dallas and the Revolution played a 1 – 1 tie. I won’t remember this game in a week. I will remember meeting the FC Dallas captain.

What was great about this short meeting was how this player and his teammates held themselves in public. They came off as “regular guys” who just happen to be professional athletes. I wish more players had the class of Daniel Hernandez and the rest of the FC Dallas Squad.

Russ Goldman is a Fulham blogger who posts regularly on his website www.cottagersconfidential.com. His website is a part of sbnation. This is a network of 250 sports blogs. There are several soccer related sites and many more to be added soon.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Chance Encounter With Daniel Hernandez of FC Dallas

1. Tom says:

I’d guess the money is why they’re regular guys. In this league they’re on regular money!

2. Charles says:

yeah something about making millions of dollars that turns ordinary joes into ordinary joes who think they are not.
    plus, unfortunately in many MLS cities, the players are barely recognized. a little easier to be polite when you don’t have a thousand people wanting to talk with you.

The big question I have is why does Russ follow Fulham in New England ? Even blog about them ? When his home team is one of the most successful in the US and still doesn’t have any fans. Soccer fans in the US are a very bizarre bunch.

3. eplnfl says:

This was a good post. You seem to only hear about the bad news concerning players off the field.

4. A ruiz says:

Every MLS player I’ve met has been like that. Even Blanco was nice to his fans and must have signed thousands of autographs.

5. Russ says:

Charles,
    You asked a very good question. Why do I follow Fulham and blog about them?

I came to follow Fulham partially because of Clint Dempsey who did play for the Revolution. Like any sport I just started watching the club. I became a real fan during the relegation battle in the 2007/ 2008 season. Watching Fulham try to survive in the EPL each week was fascinating. It came down to the final week and game of that season. Since then,Fulham have had 2 really good seasons. I also happen to like watching the EPL, Champions League, and the Europa League.

I do follow the Revolution. The Revs have a good fanbase. I think if they ever build a soccer specific stadium in the Boston area you would see that fanbase grow.

In regards to blogging about Fulham it has been great. Fulham, like many EPL Clubs have fans all over the world. On my blog I get visitors from everywhere. Fulham just happen to be the club I follow.

I have nothing against the Revolution. I am a fan. It is just on a different scale with Fulham. I am diehard fan of the Cottagers.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Russ

• Charles says:

Thanks for replying.
      Bizarre really is the word for soccer fans in the US.

The unspoken mantra being, “if it was the talent level of Europe, I would go watch…”
      Unfortunately that won’t happen until they go watch. Bizarre how only Seattle gets that in mass numbers.

The other bizarre part is then the next thing out of the typical fan is, they should do pro/rel in the US. I won’t support/barely support a team in my back yard that is second rate, but I want pro/rel for the league here. Bizarre.

• Charles says:

Not sure what you meant by good fan base. Here is what your fellow blogger said about it….
      “A typically tiny crowd at New England. OK, tiny might be a tad strong, just over 10,000.”

IF you are saying the small base are good fans, I agree, if you are saying a massive metro area like that drawing 10k is good…no one can agree with that. It is pathetic and bizarre.

6. Bob says:

Good of you to call out a positive encounter. I was there rooting against Daniel and his friends, but did meet him when he was with the Revs and always liked him. The Revs sure could have used his compsure in midfield yesterday.

7. Russ says:

Thanks Bob,

The Revs could use him right now.

They are a young team and will go through growing pains. I like this team as the season progresses.

8. Russ says:

Charles,

I should have have said “loyal fan base”. There are factors in New England that make it hard for this “fan base” to grow.

First, it is the location of the stadium. Foxboro is 45 minutes away from Boston. It is not the easiest destination to get to. If a “soccer specifiic” stadium was built very close to Boston or in the City itself I believe you would see the sport grow here in New England.

Second, The media here especially the broadcast media really don’t give the Revolution the proper support I think they deserve.

The Boston market is dominated by the Red Sox, Pats, Celtics and Bruins. The Revs in the media are poorly respresented in my opinion.

I think it is great that Seattle has embraced the “Sounders”. This is a different market. I do hope it changes someday.