SUN, 8:30AM ET
SUN, 5PM ET
LAG1
SEA0
MON, 3PM ET
AST
SOU

What If England Plays USA In 2010 World Cup?

england usa What If England Plays USA In 2010 World Cup?

Now that the United States team has qualified for the 2010 World Cup, the agonizing wait begins until the final draw is held on December 4, 2009. The draw will be beamed around the world, and we’ll finally be able to learn which countries will be grouped against each other next summer in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Of course, when the draw is finished, football supporters and journalists will be making quick decisions on which group is the group of death, and which world powers have the easier groups. We’ve been there, done that. But for me, the most interesting prospect is whether the United States will be grouped with England.

We’ll have a better idea of whether this may happen after Wednesday. If the United States wins the CONCACAF group ahead of Mexico, the USA will be seeded as the winner of the group and will be unlikely to face England in the first round group games (especially seeing since England has already won its qualifying group).

However there remains the slight possibility that even if the United States beats Costa Rica on Wednesday and qualifies in first place, that the USA may play England in the later stages of the 2010 World Cup tournament.

Of course, there are a lot of ifs surrounding that possibility, but the prospect of seeing the United States play England is mouthwatering for several reasons:

1. Allegiances. It would throw up some tough questions for soccer fans living in the United States who have grown up with the Premier League week-in week-out and have a distaste for the home-grown Major League Soccer due to its lack of quality. I believe that many American will end up supporting both the United States and England. If they face each other, then it comes down to where you were born. If one of the two countries gets knocked out in an early round, then many US soccer fans will hope that England does well.
  2. TV ratings. A match-up between England and the United States of America would be a ratings dream come true. Here you have two countries — one with a massive population, and another with a large number of ex-pats and descendants who would be watching the match rooting for ol’ blighty. There would be so many storylines for this match and the hype would be amazing in the build-up to the match.
  3. David vs Goliath. Everyone loves to see an underdog beat a world power, but who is the actual underdog in this match? From a footballing perspective, it would be the US. But from a political perspective, it would be England. Either way, we all win.
  4. MLS snobs versus Euro snobs. Maybe finally the debate would be over, or would it just be amplified no matter who wins this match?
  5. Acceptance. For the vast majority of people in the United States who don’t follow soccer, they do know that England is one of the world powers in the sport. So many casual spectators would tune into the game expecting the United States to defeat a soccer powerhouse. If the United States could do that on the world’s stage, then I believe that soccer will finally have landed in America. And the sport would generate an incredible amount of new interest.

When you think about it, it’s about time that England plays the United States in the World Cup. In 2006, the USA got knocked out in the first round. In 2002, both England and the United States got knocked out in the quarter-finals (and wouldn’t have met each other anyway unless both made it to the final). In 1998, USA got knocked out in the first round. In 1994, England didn’t qualify. In 1990, USA got knocked out in the first round. And then, prior to that, the last time USA qualified for the World Cup was in 1950 when they famously beat England 1-0 in one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. In the 1934 and 1930 World Cups, the United States participated but England didn’t enter.

So, it’s only once that England have ever played the United States in a World Cup. Isn’t it about time they played again?

As far as which country I would support, it would be England. I was born and raised in Wales, so I always support the Welsh first but seeing since they’ve only qualified for the World Cup once ever, and that was before I was born, it’s doubtful they may ever qualify for the tournament again in my lifetime. My father is English and his side of the family are English. But as well as being a UK citizen, I’m also an American citizen. So my third country I root for (unless they’re playing England or Wales) is the United States.

Who would you want to win in the 2010 World Cup if the USA played England? Click the comments link below and let us know and tell us which country you’re from.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to What If England Plays USA In 2010 World Cup?

1. eplnfl says:

USA. Ok, who else would I pick. Yet with the likes of Howard, Dempsey, Spector, and Altidore we will have the best players from the EPL on the pitch.

Love to see the match up and it would be huge for the growth of the game in the US if it did. I would expect that game on ABC so that all of America can see it. Let’s hope it happens.

• Jake says:

Howard, dempsey, spector and Altidore are the best players in the EPL? Ummm….

• Django says:

Clearly he meant best American players from the EPL.

• eplnfl says:

Clearly, I said that they are some of the best players in the EPL. Yes, call me insane. Furthermore, they are better than a lot of the retirement crowd that will make up the 2010 England squad. Beckham and James to name a few. The US would be laughed at if we put Kasey Keller and Brian McBride on the squad.

Ok, lets have fun with this guys. As far as a potential on the field match-up goes it’s an above average match-up talent wise. Yet, as far as TV and media attention goes it will be a landmark event if it happens. So, let hope between now and June we can figure out a way to make it happen. ESPN can only dream about the ratings!

2. Jesse Chula says:

I’m American by birth, but would easily support England. Reason? I’ve invested more time, heartache, passion & overall love of the England national team in my life than the USMNT. Of course it would be important to me that the states do well in any tournament they participate in. But there’s almost something unexplainable inside me when it comes to picking England over my own country. It’s about what you’ve invested, the way you relate to specific players you like, the culture of the country in question & I also believe the passion you have for your club team can be taken into consideration.

I’m sure to get stick for this, but always believe you should never apologive for a club or country you support, just be prepared to defend your reasons for that support.

• gwenhara says:

I’m with you, much to chagrin of my husband who doesn’t understand how I can possibly continually root for England.

• RLW2020 says:

you are lame. just because US Soccer isn’t the world giant that England has been you don’t support them? Have some pride for your country! Just like our cities, culture and everything about America noting is perfect but it up to Americans to make this the best nation (and team) that we can. Life as a US supporter isnt always easy but when we win it is best feeling of pride and victory that you will ever feel. Much more than seeing someone elses country get another victory and then celebrate by yourself.

3. Rob Usry says:

This matchup would be truly awesome. EPL is my favorite league to watch, and I like watching the English national team play. But the USMNT is the reason I started watching football. It would be a great matchup IMO.

4. Chris says:

I am from the USA…and I would never support England in my entire life even if the USA got knocked out of the World Cup. I would like to see England actually fall flat on thier face.

As for playing England in the World Cup…may the best team in that stadium win.

But In my personal opinon i dont think Capello respects us to be honest with you…he has never said he does or he dosent but im taking a good guess that he dosent. He already has taken a shit on our MLS league since he thinks David Beckham cant play for England. MLS is one fast paced league…David Beckham is fit…he may not be playing against the best players in the world but I think if he could still play for England without moving to Europe.

Anyhow…I will just leave it at that.

5. uh? says:

why the hell would any american support the english national team? i support some of their players but i will never route for that god-foresaken hell hole of a country and its people.

• Eric says:

Look I absolutely love the USMNT, bleed red white and blue, and would never dream rooting for England if they were playing the US but why do you have to take this arrogant approach? There is just absolutely no need for it. You wonder why all these English people hate us

• Henry H says:

well said. its these people that alienate the English with this incredibly pompous and obnoxious stance. anyway, there would be no doubt for me, you gotta support the the country you’re born in. USA all the way

• Bruce says:

You are definately right on that but the way you phrase it makes it seem like it´s only the Americans acting that way. There´s about the same amount of insults coming from both sides.

• Bruce says:

@ Eric. I forgot to mention one thing. You write that it´s no wonder that all these English people hate us. I know several English people at work (I work in Germany) and I´ve been to Manchester, Lancaster and London several times and have never been treated as though “these English” hate me. Ofcourse America and England talk trash about each other but I think that´s normal. I´m just saying that being an American I´ve never experienced any hate from the English and I don´t know any other Americans who have either. America is one of the top places that English tourists travel to and England is one of the top places for American tourists. Doesn´t sound like hate to me.

6. man99utd says:

3 Lions (England) all the way to the finals,,,,I’m chuffed that they made it and as quickly as they did. I want the U.S. to do well as it would help football in America, but have to go with England…As for Fabio he knows football about as well as anyone. So don’t be so quick to give him a slagging off. He’s a proven winner and wants only the best (he can find) to play for England.

7. I’m not in any weird situation. Even though I prefer the Premier League to MLS (I can’t watch random MLS matches, only the Chicago Fire. But even though I’m a huge Fulham supporter, I can watch random EPL matches), I’m American and could give a crap what England does.

However, my wife may be in an interesting situation. She’s South African, who spent most of her early adult years in England and now lives in the United States. She enjoys watching England, pulls for the U.S. because of me and she will always have a special place in her heart for her homeland.

If I know her like I think I do, she will stay neutral if any of the 3 play each other.

8. Garrett says:

I’m an American. If you’re a born and raised American and you cheer for England you’re nothing more than a traitor. If the USA is knocked out and you support England fine.It’s the World Cup. If you were born in a country you have a team to support. I feel like Faux News right now. If you don’t cheer for your home country you’re no patriot.

• Adebayor says:

thank u most of football fans in the united states watch the premier league, ok my favorite team is in the premier league but u still have to root for usa, if u are american born and raise, i am an england fan too but if england is playing against united states i support united states.
      but if united states was playing nigeria which is my homeland i support nigeria.

9. blag says:

Most americans would not be hard pressed to decide on which team they would root for. The second that any see team usa, they root for that team just like in the olympics. Contrary to belief of some the united states is very patriotic. Many like the epl, but even if it is players they like the idea of their country playing is far more empowering.
    I also doubt this single game would bring a change in the popularity of the sport. It might spark a small increase for a short amount of time, but for a sport to become it takes time because it is a cultural thing. Even if the USA team won the world cup you would not see a sudden change. It will take years of continuous performance to do that. That is what makes a world power and what will attract more attention.
    However, I would like to see this match up to some degree. Even though england beat the usa 3-0 last time they faced in a friendly, any chance the usa gets to upset another power is always something to see. That is what many of us are still used to, the fact that the usa team was always the underdog. I believe that factor will bring in many more people to watch this game than any other.

• eplnfl says:

A USA-England match up would be a large mainstream event. If it does take place hopefully it would be in a knock out stage or even better semi-final. ESPN/ABC would promote the the game to all parts of the planet. It would be a huge jump start to the game in the US.

10. Chris says:

Blag, they acutally beat us 2-0 in a friendly lol.

11. cy says:

The US isn’t going to be seeded no matter what happens.

12. blag says:

Thanks for correcting me Chris, sorry for messing up the result. How does the seeding process normally work(i know they havent decided yet for this wold cup)? I have heard that it was based on your past 3 world cup appearances as well as your current ranking. if that is the case the usa has a small chance of seeding because of the 1998 and 2006 world cups.

13. Gareth says:

Well, I was born and raised in Canada, but since our team never amounts to much, I’ll root for England. The Queen is on our money, after all.

Also, I don’t know if I fall into this trap, but I know a lot of my countrymen will probably just root for “whoever’s facing the US.” Because that’s just how we are sometimes.

14. villafandan says:

Topping CONCACAF has nothing to do with seeding in the World Cup.

USA were just pipped to the 8th and final seed by Argentina in 2006. This time, it looks unlikely that they’ll be seeded, but England are almost certain to be. They could end up in the same group.

I’d like to see USA have a good World Cup for the sake of the sport in this country – they definitely didn’t give a good account of themselves in Germany, aside from the Italian game. But if they come up against England, my loyalties will not be torn in the slightest… it’s England all day long!!

• The Gaffer says:

Sorry I didn’t get the bit correct about the seeding. FIFA’s criteria for which teams are seeded should, I believe, take into consideration the teams who finish at the top of their groups — especially a tough one like CONCACAF compared to some of these very weak European groups.

• Justo says:

The seeds will be made based on FIFA Ranking, just as the groups in Europe were drawn. This has been a tendency at FIFA, so they can justify their Ranking.
        Current top 8 countries are Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Russia, England and Argentina.
        All of them have qualified, except for Russia and Argentina, but are expected to do so.
        Croatia, France and USA are 9th , 10th and 11th.
        So, for the USA to get top seed, they need any of these countries to fail to qualify.

15. Brian W says:

If you’re American, then you cheer for the USMNT no matter what. I’ve grown up with Chelsea but will NEVER turn my back on my flag – and if any of my countrymates do the same, shame on them , the traitors.

@ Jesse Chula:

You can choose your club but not your country – the USMNT is more than the players that make it – it is your COUNTRY, and if you feel the need to root with the limeys, then turn your social security card in and hop across the pond – but they never accept you as one of them.

• Ian M says:

“Never accept you as one of them” you say?

Rubbish.

We welcome yanks with open arms – we see you as our long lost offspring. I mean, FFS, we back you up in almost every war you decide to wage – sometimes in spite of the majoritys wishes. But thats another subject.

However – I do agree that you have to support your country first and foremost. Once they’re knocked out then back whoever you fancy.

16. Chris says:

Brain W, That is funny as hell lol….and he is pretty much telling the truth….I’ll bleed the red white blue until i die and i will support my team through the highs and lows….I put my hand on my heart for a reason when I hear the National Anthem playing.

17. NetherHolland says:

I dont particularly care for the rah rah “If you’re American, then you cheer for the USMNT no matter what” type of answers. My ancestry comes from Europe and mainly England, so I still don’t even understand what being AMERICAN even means. I’ve always been an England supporter and watched the US with either amusement or bemusement, depending on what you think of either of those terms.

Anyways, if England and the US were in the same group, I would root for England to win it and the US to finish second; England beats the US but Dempsey scored 3 goals and Howard records 2 shutouts in the other 2 games and they both advance to the Round of 16.

Then, I can root for England to dominate a team like Switzerland in the next round and the US to upset an Italy or Denmark as well and keep having matches I can watch and get drunk to while enjoying.

• Kevin_Amold says:

OK, let me help you out. Being American means the following: You are a citizen either by birth or by choice. If you are a citizen, you should cheer for your country of citizenship. Sorry you don’t like it, but that doesn’t make it any more acceptable to not cheer for your country of citizenship, whatever it may be.

• So by your theory most Americans should support a team from the British Isles or Northern Europe over the USMNT because after all that is their ancestory.

While we are at it, why should the US field a team anyhow. We all draw our lineage from somewhere else.

I respect your ability to root for England, but don’t hide behind ancestory. Just say for whatever reason you feel more English than American or simply like them better.

As much as I do not like Americans rooting for England, it is not as bad as the Yanks that support Brazil or Italy, just because they are front runners. Those same Yanks love Man U and Real Madrid also.

18. AtlantaPompey says:

My support of Pompey has absolutely no bearing on my support of a national team. My support of my national team has absolutely no bearing on who I support in the EPL. I pay no attention to the nationalities of the players involved in a league match. I will support the USA against anyone, anytime, anywhere. I have a soft spot for Ireland because of my ancestry and I still have family there. Other than that, I will watch the big teams as a neutral.

19. Jim says:

Although I find that the EPL presents an entertaining brand of football, as an American I would never root for any country other then the USA in the World Cup. For the other teams, I would hope for exciting matches and upsets. But not one other team in the world gets my blood flowing like the US team. My ancestors comes from England, Scotland and Germany but I have no loyalty to those lands or to those nations. Why should I? If they have a chance to win, congratulations and good for them.

20. I hope we do have such a matchup simply so we can finaly “smoke out” all the England national team fans among American born people who claim they’d support the US if the product was more accesible or exciting.

These people act as if they know football better than the rest of us and we somehow should bow to their knowledge and understanding of the game.

But for me they are nothing more than self hating Americans.

It’s not just England, and American kids wearing Gerrard jerseys in the streets. It’s Italy and Brazil also.

England has the same problem quite frankly. People in the UK who want to be “cosmopolitan” or somehow considered experts so they support Italy or Brazil.

Self hating your own country stinks.

21. Das Brot says:

It’s pretty arrogant to suggest most Americans would support England just because they enjoy watching the EPL. It’s even more arrogant to suggest that a team that hasn’t won the World Cup since 1966 and which failed to even qualify for Euro 2008 is a “World Power”. How anyone in their right mind could support a team with the likes of Gerrard, Rooney, and A. Cole is another question altogether.

That being said, I think it would be natural for most Americans with immigrant roots to support the teams of their ancestors to a certain extent. But those who choose to support England because they have a disdain for the MLS or something along those lines are just arrogant tw*ts who probably think that the term “soccer” is an American invention.

22. Casey says:

IF your american than you would NEVER support any team against the USA.
    EPL is a league not a national team and besides most of the players in the premier league are foreign. the foreign players make the premier league great not the english players Look at the top four almost all the players that get regular playing time r foreigners. To say americans would root for england just because of the EPL is absolutely ridiculous

23. eric says:

How could an American want the USA to get beat by England unless you are also English?? Some people are just traitors. Also this match would be great for the MLS. Donovan, Casey, Dempsey, Altidore, Beckham and the list goes on. Good for the EPL too haha but what game involving England wouldn’t be…

Anyway for all the real US fans- SA here we come!!!

24. eric says:

Casey, I gave you the thumbs down by accident my bad.

25. ABE says:

It will be a dream come true for me. To see USA knocked England off the perch which is a possibility. England team is touted to be one of the favourite world cup winner. IMO England and its players are overhyped.
    Forget about the minority who will support England. The majority of US population will be rooting for USA.

26. Gaz says:

It’s a difficult question – especially when club support is discussed.

Someone above said something about “…American kids wearing Gerrard jerseys in the streets…”. I’m not sure what “streets” are being discussed here but I think I would have qualified as one of these kids. I wasn’t raised in Liverpool but I’ve supported them since the age of about 8. I grew up in the UK (and “should” support Aston Villa) but chose Liverpool instead. I’ve stuck with them for almost two decades – can you really tell me that I wouldn’t be entitled to wear a Gerrard shirt?

What about Americans that want to watch the EPL but have no ties to any particular city in the country? I’d say don’t pick a top 4 but who the hell am I to tell them who to support? The important thing for me is to pick a team and stick with them no matter what.

However, I think this question has a simple answer when applied to the World Cup:
    Support your birth place or don’t pledge alliance with anyone. Either support the US if you are American (don’t give me this Irish / English ancestry bullshit) or watch the entire tournament as a neutral).

27. Efrain says:

Born in USA, support USA!

Regardless of me loving Arsenal…..and following the EPL this is the national team!! You support the country you’re a citizen of. IF/WHEN your country is knocked out, then support “ancestary ties”. End of story.

• Zola612 says:

So supporting Arsenal would mean France v. USA would be a harder choice, huh?—I am just kidding ;)
      I’ve supported the USA all along in spite of the often dreary football.

• Max says:

Haha yes I too am an American Arsenal supporter. And while I love England and all the traditions, and I am of English/Welsh descent, I have no ties to the England team. With Theo Walcott probably being the lone exception, much of the England team I despise with their ties to rival clubs.

Should the US get knocked out early I’ll most likely be rooting for the underdogs, as I would love to finally see an underdog make a good run in the finals.

28. Chris D says:

Okay, I’m American and I…

follow Chelsea…. so England vs USA – I root for USA…
    am Polish… so England vs Poland – I root for USA…

It’s not even a question worth entertaining. In a game not involving my country I have a tendency to root for the more interesting or entertaining team. And in football these days that’s usually not England.

29. Eddie says:

As an American, how could I possibly support another country’s team against my own? I just couldn’t. It’s funny, but the times when I feel most patriotic is when the USMNT or the US hockey team play (or when Obama was elected, but that’s another story for another thread).

Kartik, I don’t understand your point about the Gerrard jerseys. Club and country are two separate things. I see no conflict or self-hating in choosing to wear a Gerrard jersey and rooting for the US (though it would look silly to wear that jersey will the US played England).

I did, however, find myself rooting for Spain in last year’s Euro 2008 tournament, because of the Spanish contingent at Liverpool.

30. Randy Capps says:

I am a huge fan of the EPL and a frequent supporter of England’s national team.

But I was born in America and will support them until I stop drawing breath.

So in an England/U.S. matchup, I’ll take a Rooney red card and a U.S. win on penalties in a knock out match.

31. Fletch says:

Wait just a minute. Can’t we pull for another country’s team just because we like them better? Isn’t this just a game? Are you seriously a traitor if you pull for someone else? Can’t I just hate Landon Donovan because I want to? This isn’t war or a battle to the death or something. Wow. Some people need to settle down a bit.

Beyond that bit of sarcasm, I think a lot of Americans think that American soccer lacks the intensity, speed, and character of the English game. Watching the Colorado Rapids take on the Houston Dynamo just isn’t appealing to a lot of folks. So, when they see those same MLS guys on the National Team, and then look at the opposing team and see Rooney, Ferdinand, Lampard, and Gerrard, they say to themselves “I like England more.” That’s not hating on your country. That’s preferring the English game.

I like the Men’s National Team. They are exciting to watch and I hope they do well next summer. But, really people, our so-called “best” player is on a mid-table MLS team in Los Angeles. We could have a three-year debate about England’s best player and, no matter who you thought it was, they would be from a seriously top club in Europe–and probably from a club in England!

US Men’s soccer just lacks something culturally that the English game has. The fans are different. The stadiums are different. The atmosphere is definitely different. Does anybody remember the NFL Europe? I’m sure the people in Barcelona or wherever would rather watch a Patriots-Giants game than the jokers in a Barca v. Lisbon “NFL” showdown. Appreciating good American Football wouldn’t have made them less European. Appreciating the English game from across the pond doesn’t make anyone over here less American either.

• Kevin_Amold says:

Well of course soccer here lacks something culturally that England has. We’re not England!!!

I’d rather the US try to be us, instead of trying to be like England. All I ask is for those Americans that support England jsut come flat out and say it and say why. So I can ridicule them. Just kidding. But seriously…..

It may not be hating your country. But it certainly is choosing another country over your own.

I usually don’t comment more than once on any thread, but I feel really strongly about this. I get so tired of seeing friends that are as American as I am cheer for the Mexican national team. Or England. Or Spain. Having never lived there, not being citizens from there, not being married to someone from there. You get the point…..

• The Gaffer says:

It’s not just Americans who support other nations. There are quite a lot of people in England, for example, who are extremely critical of the national team and long for opponents to beat them. It’s a strange and weird psychology that I can’t explain, but it is quite rampant.

• Huh says:

Gaffer, it must be called being Irish, Scottish or Welsh because I don’t know one English football supporter who doesn’t want England to win! They will also follow those teams mentioned that generally hate them, why? I don’t Know.
          By the same rule, as an English man if there was a World American football/Basketball/baseball cup I don’t think I would care to much who won as this doesn’t get much coverage and not many people are interested in these sports just like footie in the USA only the other way round. In football, rugby and cricket believe me I care who wins. I will also support Ireland and jocks, and if they ever got there the Welsh (no offence Gaffer) but after these teams it would probably be the USA or Australia because most English people believe it or not, probably feel closer to these countries than any others.

32. jleau says:

I’m an American and it’s USA all the way. You can choose a club but not your country.

Who says England is a world power? The best players in the EPL are not English. They didn’t even qualify for Euro 2008. It seems to me that the only thing the English are particulary good at is inventing popular games they can’t win.

By the way a huge number of Americans do not have any cultural ties to england other than a common language and could care less how the Three Lions fare. One of my biggest complaints about soocer coverage in the US is a mistaken belief that interest in the EPL equates to some sort of affiliation with England.

33. brian says:

Unless someone has strong ancestry ties somewhere else, I believe they are going to support their country no matter where what part of the world they are from.

I prefer the EPL over MLS any day, but as an American, I am going to support the USMNT. I actually want more Americans to play in Europe so that it will improve their national team.

One of the reasons why is because I believe the better the USMNT does, the more soccer will be promoted in the US and improve the development of the sport there.

34. The Gaffer says:

It makes me wonder how footballers feel especially those who are English but play for the Republic Of Ireland. And so on and so forth. If Guiseppe Rossi didn’t play for Italy, would he prefer the USA to beat Italy or vice-versa? Maybe that’s not the best example, but you get what I mean.

• Jay says:

Do you support the USA Mr. Gaffer?

• The Gaffer says:

Absolutely yes! I’ve been following the US national team and supporting their efforts since 1984 when I moved to this country.

Unless they’re playing against England or Wales. In that case, I’ll be rooting for England or Wales. If England plays Wales, I root for Wales.

• AtlantaPompey says:

I think they’ve expressed their interest by playing for another country. Rossi is a traitor, as are countless others who either can’t or don’t want to play for their native country and go play for some other country. Like may people have already said: You can choose your club, but you can’t choose your country.

35. Lyle says:

Most American soccer fans could care less about how England does. Watching the EPL and being a Fulham fan gives me no affinity to England.

36. Joey says:

Im English.

Beckham is NOT one of the better players in the England squad. You Americans seem to consider him a great player, but the fact is, although his dead-ball deliveries may still be first class, thats about all he has going for him.

If USA and England played each other England would win. By a comfortable margin. Guaranteed.

37. Simon Burke says:

I am English and want England to beat everyone; i am half Irish and my Dad wants Ireland to beat everyone so i support them next.
    My wife is American and i live here and yet I tend to want them to lose which is probably bad on my part but its mostly for the banter. I get mocked and abused by Americans here and its nice to be better than them at something (assuming we are).
    I would dearly like to see them kept apart in the first round as the 6 months of banter and abuse may strain a few friendships. More damage would be done in the 6 months than could possibly happen in the 90 minutes.
    I think England would beat them I really do but you never know.

38. JP says:

And thats why – even if USA beat us – we’d still feel superior!

39. worldcupwatcher says:

Well this is very relevant now!

40. Lee says:

Hi, we cant tell whats going to happen until it happens, but lets look at the world class players England has and the very average players America has, dont get me wrong there descent but compared to England on paper there really is no contest, players like Gerrard, Rooney, Defoe, Lampard ect ect are 100 miles above the top end of the MLS no disrespect but i can only see a England win and a comfortable one at that. But hey football is football and anything happens

41. steve birchfield says:

I was born in the US, but have lived my whole life mainly in England.I have followed the English leagues all my life and know virtually every player from every club and am very passionate about football and my club team Everton, but when it comes to internationals you dont choose your alliance, it comes down to who you are and your nationality. I consider myself american, always have and always will.
    I remember quite a few years back staying up late, going mental, watching the US beat England in Boston and at the time I didnt know any of the US players, yet knew the whole England squad. I follow all England internationals cause I live here and I support them all the while, …UNTIL… they meet the Americans. Go USA!!!

42. BH says:

talk about prescient! or perhaps …

43. well mi idols are david beckham and landon donovan but i think if USA wins is going to be exithing but if a draw appears is going to be better for all other dudes that have the same idols as me

44. tom coleman says:

england 2-0, just like last time!

45. Ash says:

face it you americans dont have a chance in hell

46. sam says:

im english, id like to see usa do well if they were in another group, but they are not. USA dont stand a chance haha (famous last words)

47. JIMBO says:

As far as wearing team colors around the world I see more New York Yankee baseball hats than any other sports team in the world. I am originally from NYC and been to London, Dublin and the continent and the first hat I see people wearing in a NY baseball hat.. Ok enough about baseball . I think the USA has a good chance upsetting England on the World Stage. All the pressure is on England. I hope for a very good game. I call it a draw.Also Landon Donovan played well for Everton. However that is not his main position on the field . e is better playing in the middle to add some creativity. The reason Everton did not play him in the center was due to their signed players. Donovan is better than Cahill hands down.Plus Demps is due back and should be fit. Praying for Charlie Davies though. 20% chance he will be back by WC time.

48. Joe Connors says:

I’m English and have only every been to the US once (right that gets might my loyalties and stand point out the way) but I am slightly concerned about our group stage matches, especially the first against the USA. I suppose I say this as a Fulham fan having watched the likes of Clint Dempsey strut his stuff at Craven Cottage but I also know that England perennially underachieve in these big competitions.

Personally I like the USA and I think the team are pretty good; there’s a mixture of old hands and pacey youthful players which is pretty similar to our own – and that scares me a little. I will be supporting 3 teams at the world cup, 2 after England go out (and they will by the semi-finals, there’s not a person I know here in England that doesn’t think so); Holland and USA. Holland because, well, you know, did you see them at the last European Cup? Just amazing to watch. And USA, because I think there is a lot of talent there and as soon as you guys do well at a big event, support will erupt for the team and they will go to the dizzying heights that they deserve. Come on, the USA have a huge and diverse population and ironically it’s going to be a minor sport (in America anyway) that’s going to show the benefits of exactly that.

Best of luck to you guys

49. JM says:

While a lot of Americans think Beckham is a fantastic god-like player, he’s really not that good. When you compare him to Rooney, who is one of the best players in the world, he just seems small. England has good players, and so does the US. I’m an Everton supporter so I know that Donavon is fantastic and that Howard is brilliant, but they dont have the skill across the board to be able to beat England.

50. Mike S says:

I cannot wait for this game! I will be going mental the whole game, win or loose it won’t be bad for me. My dad was from England but I grew up in the States, I’ve always supported both teams but as a kid followed England more only because the US talent could not be taken seriously, until recently. Now without question I’ll be 100% pulling for the US team, we have a respectable side, and more and better players will be coming up. An upset would be EPIC, especially for the sport in the USA, it’s going to be interesting regardless

51. Sonny says:

I’m a proud American that has enjoyed living in England for four years and am returning to the states this summer. I am hosting a World Cup party for my American and British (most will be English) friends to watch the game. Obviously, I’ll be supporting U.S.A. during that game, but I will support England in the event that we get eliminated. Hopefully, that will not happen! Most of my guests will be supporting England, and I would expect nothing less because most of my English friends are as proud of their country as I am of mine. Just as it should be.

Either way, this should be a great game. Although I wouldn’t place large sums of money on it, I hope the winner of this game will take the big prize! Best of luck to both teams…but, GO U.S.A.!!!!

52. Yasmin says:

Lets face it, we all know what the outcome will be! I know that the some of the players are the best in the epl, but England have some of the best players in the world. Rooney, A.Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry. However our defence has taken a blow, as Ferdinand has been injured, therefore out of the whole competition, he was a main part ofour defence, so the US really could pick up from that point. And as for saying Beckham was not as good as people thought, I half agree, as sometimes Americans do exaggerate, but disaagreee because he was so talented, and I dont think anyone can cross a ball like he can (maybe Giggs) and his free kicks were phenomenal.

Changing the subject a bit, my bets are on Spain for winning!

53. LUI says:

ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

54. JP says:

I personally can’t wait for tomorrow and it’s been interesting to see the American perspective. I think we (England) do have the better side to be honest and probably the best team we’ve had since Italia ’90. As for support American fans seem to concentrate more on their ancestry than in other countries, maybe that’s with it being a younger nation or whatever i dunno. A mate of mine from Georgia is going to be watching the game in the pub with us so that should be interesting and he’s just as loyal to the States as most people on this board despite being an anglophile haha. It’s a good first game of the finals for these two teams and let’s see what happens eh. I love this time every four years… when we qualify.

55. jdon says:

Lol @ You Americans You will loose Tomorrow. because you are shit at all sports you need to calm down you dont rule the world like you seem to think the world hates you.

56. ENGLAND!!!!!! says:

If its a draw I would laugh. England all the way! Either way, I think both teams will go through and come 1st and 2nd in Group C. :)

57. Bruce says:

I´m American and I support the USA 1000%! If America is sent home then my support will be for Germany. Nothing against the great English team but I live in Germany and I know IF the Germans win the parties here are gonna be out of this world!!
    Now to the not so bright side of things. IF the USA defeats England then I fear for alot of the American supporters. I´ll tell you why. The English hooligans will be out for blood. English fans are good people but the few who are hooligans are vicious and they are gonna be there for just one reason. Trouble! English law prevents alot of known hooligans from going to games but it can´t be controlled completely and not all hooligans are known. They always show up no matter what efforts the English government take to prevent it.

58. Bruce says:

One thing I forgot to mention. Alot of people on here from both sides seem to have a big problem supporting their team WITHOUT insulting the other country and it´s people. What´s up with that. Grow up everybody. You can support one without hating the other. The USA and England are I believe the two proudest countries on the planet. I myself am a VERY VERY proud American but I can still get by without insulting the rest of the world or even just a part of it. I hope everyone has a KICK ASS time watching the game tonight and getting wasted (pissed if your English)! PARTY!!!