SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 12PM ET
REAL3
BARCA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA2
LEI0

Am I The Only One Who Can’t Win In Fantasy Football?

frank lampard chelsea 1 Am I The Only One Who Can’t Win In Fantasy Football?

Why won't you score?!

Okay, so we are pretty settled into the 2009-2010 season and I am, yet again, having major issues with my fantasy team. What’s going on? How can I have 14 points in one weekend? How can Michael Turner do so well for Hull and not for Sunderland? How, in the name of all that is holy, can my captain, Frank Lampard, not have scored a single goal this season?

These are the questions I am asking. I am no football “expert.” I am no professional fantasy footballer. But, I watch most of the games every weekend and follow Sky, BBC, Setanta, FSC, Soccernet, and much more all week long. I feel like I know more about the EPL than the average guy—whoever that is. Heck, I have played my whole life and even coached for nearly ten years. So then, why, I ask you, am I so horrible at picking my fantasy team?

Is it because I thought Lamps would have scored before now and give me some huge points total for some random week? Is it because I thought, just like many of the big clubs did, that Brede Hangeland would be a force like he was last year? No, wait! Maybe it’s because I thought, with the absence of Tevez, Rooney would score even more goals than he did last year.

It’s not the points that kill me in the fantasy table; it’s the value of the player. As of this moment Rooney has a good 44 points but he is valued at 11.2. Compare that with Defoe, who has a nice 35 points and is worth only 9.0. Surely that 2.2 difference would help out my back four so I don’t have to have people like Turner and Corluka who are worth next to nothing–and giving me nearly zero points! The problem is this: last year I spread the wealth around. I stayed largely away from the biggest players—I went the whole season without touching Ronaldo, Gerrard, Drogba, etc. I did pretty well but I was always getting beat by the guy who had Ronaldo as his captain or by the guy with Anelka, Torres, and Gerrard in his line-up.

So this year I changed my game plan. I bought Lamps, Rooney, and Fabregas as my “big” players and even had room for Bosingwa and Hangeland. After that, it was a tough search for value. This year Rooney has done well for me but the lack of performance from my smaller-name players has caused me to have an overall low points total.

Zamora, Diaby, and Cattermole just can’t make up for the 26 points someone like Torres would have gotten me if he was on my team and my captain this week. I won’t even mention Darren Fletcher after his two goals this week. I’m practically begging to find someone worth 3.4 who actually plays!

So, I am thinking of playing my wildcard and completely changing my team. But, I just know, as soon as I dump Lampard, he’ll score seven against Wigan next week. It never ends. Am I the only one who is this bad at picking his team? What to do?! What to do?!

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Am I The Only One Who Can’t Win In Fantasy Football?

1. the theory says:

It has to be about value for money, but I find that it’s critical to start with the keeper and your defenders. Looking at the points per cost, there’s no better value than having a strong back line. You’re talking about Defoe being a great value, 36 points at a cost of 9.0, but then there’s Glen Johnson, 41 points at 7.9. Before the FA got involved, Abebayor was having a magnificent season by all accounts, but heading into this weekend, he was 34@10.1, compared to Ryan Shawcross, 29@5.0. Half the price, nearly the same points.

Get two cheap keepers, also. While Reina, Cech, etc. might end up at or near the top at the end of the season, you’ll be better off with a Jensen and Sorenson. Almost every week, one of them will have an opponent you won’t mind slotting them up against.

And don’t buy outfield players under 4.5! Injuries, suspensions and rotations happen, so having a decent bench is key. The Hunts, Keoghs and Givets may seem like you’re chasing value with points, but it’s well worth it when additional transfers cost you 4 points in a week.

2. nikesb says:

1.pay attention to upcoming fixtures…i didn’t do that
    2.avoid man.united/chelsea midfielders
    3.have 2 cheap GK’s who you can rotate and start based on their next match
    4.your 4 subs should be players who
    (a)cost minimum value GK:4/DEF:4/MF:4.5/FWD:4.5 these prices are based b4 season started
    5.with rule#4….most of your money will be earning you points

right now i’m rotating
    GK…both players cost 4 each
    Hart/Sorensen
    DEF…defenders who cross allot/posing threat in corner kicks/usally in a big 4
    Thomas Vermaelen/Glen Johnson/A.Cole first come to mind
    FWD…would be the easiest to pick
    Bent is must have…Defoe also..then you could pick either Drogba/Rooney/Torres/Adebayor ….so you could have that nice 3-4-3
    MF…would probably be the hardest to select from
    but lennon/benyoun/kuyt/wright phillips are must haves then you can select a heavyweight like lampard/gerrard…i would go with gerrard

• Lyle says:

Avoid Chelsea midfielders, but for Lampard… Lampard is still the highest scoring midfielder. He just hasn’t scored as many goals as he die last year. Same with Steven Ireland. Although both are good bets, along with Arshavin to rip off some high point games at some point.

What’s different this year is that big named strikers are on a roll early on this year. Last year midfielders seem to be the best bet for high score games, but so far the Drogbas and Rooneys are getting it done.

Basically, it’s a great big crap shoot. There’s not way you can guarantee a top ranked team among hundreds or thousands. You can guarantee above average, but not a winner.

3. Raatzie says:

1-5.

Have lost five in a row, after finishing fifth in my head to head league last year, despite what I believe is a strong back line (Cech, Schwarzer, A. Cole, Vermaelen, O’Shea, Distin (who I grabbed while at Portsmouth, hoping he’d be transferred) and Warnock

Matched against a really weak team this week, so I decided to make four changes and take the 12 point deduction. Cattermole (one of the four) doesn’t play, and Drogba (his captain) goes nuts, scoring 24 of my opponent’s 43. With the deduction, I lose by six.

In short, I suck. Don’t feel bad.

4. j leder says:

my 11 year old son was at the top of our pub league table last week, and he just picks a team at the first of the season and then forgets to sub in and out. after i obsess and carefully try to determine bang for the buck, i dropped to the bottom 10th, he is still at 4th place as we chat! this is a crap shoot my friend. affordability and luck. i shoot up and down the table like a carousel horse on acid. the predictable are unreliable and we watch and bite the skins of our lips wishing it weren’t quite so clear that we are getting the red flag pointing downwards again. don’t lose hope, the losers now shall later be first, perhaps.

5. Dan says:

It is a crapshoot especially with the captain rule where people can luck out if their captain goes off and have 1 player score more than most whole teams would in a week. Soccer is just not a game meant for statistics. Since fantasy sports are based off statistics its basically turns into a game of the lucky guy at the bingo table. The strategies that have been mentioned will save you from the bottom half of the player pool but they will not propel you to fantasy greatness.

Don’t worry about the transfer penalty make 2 or even 3 transfers in the game week if you need to, it will usually pay off in the long run. A player might not make up the 4 point difference in one week, but all he needs is one breakout game to make it all worth it. It just so hard to predict which week it will be, so get a guy on your team as soon as possible.

6. andrew says:

never ever feel bad. I’m literally in last place in north america.

AND I’M STILL TRYING!

I feel like damned newcastle.

7. andrew says:

I forgot to mention (I’m a united fan) and this week I had to get rid of michael owen and buy didier drogba.

Drogba hurt. Who thought drogba would be hurt and owen would score the most important goal of the season.

8. The Gaffer says:

I’ve been crap at fantasy football all season long, but this past weekend the stars were aligned and I ended up getting 61 points. All three of my midfielders scored (Kuyt, Fletcher and Barry). And Darren Bent and Ashley Cole also scored.

It may take a few weeks for five of my 11 players to score again, but I feel I have a good team assembled but still need to make some changes to it. Bendtner has been poor this season. Jordi Gomez hasn’t been scoring many for Wigan, etc.

I would definitely recommend that you guys check out http://www.FantasyFootballScout.co.uk if you haven’t already done so. They also have a podcast with some great tips.

In the meantime, the EPL Talk Fantasy Premier League is number one in the world (we’ve been in the top spot since the season started a month ago). Check out the table at http://fantasy.premierleague.com/M/stats.mc?stat=bestleagues

9. Matt says:

So far, I am doing pretty well. Overall 381 points so far.
    My team is :
    GK – Sorensen/Foster (Foster will be out once VDS is back)
    (Go cheap and use the extra funds elsewhere. Sorensen/Hart are your best bets)
    DEF – Cole/Insua/Evra/Turner/Shawcross
    (Get at least 2 if not 3 DEF from the top 4 and pick the most viable attacking options, then mix in cheap options who are good in set piece. Also out of position players get mixed in here as well)
    MID – Gerrard/Fabregas(had Kuyt)/Lennon/Etuhu/Jiminez
    (I go with 3 strong options in MID with 2 very cheap players. Gerrard/Lamps/Fab is a pick em based on fixtures and form)
    ST – Drogba/Bent/Hines
    (This seems to be the year of the high price ST option being the way to go. Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Adebayor, and RVP all seem like safe bets for 160+ pts this season. You maybe buy one of them with a Bent/Defoe/Saha/Cole and you got a pretty good Strike Force. I opt for the cheapest option available for my 3rd ST as he usually sits on the bench anyways.)
    I generally run either a 4-4-2 or if the defensive matchups are strong enough a 5-3-2.

Obviously the key to a good team is mixing in the high price options with some cheap budget options to make a good balance.

10. Gaz says:

I think the best thing you can do in your situation is have patience. I think one of the worst things people do is keep selling their players off just because of bad form. If you stick with Lamps he WILL score at least 150 points this season. He got 7 this week. Stop looking at players as game by game players and more as season players (just like a real manager would).

Someone said above not to worry about transfer fees… don’t listen to him! Losing 4 points or 8 points because you just had to make that transfer is almost never worth it. Again, patience!

I think the name of the game is mix your team up with a few high profile players (probably 1 defender, 1 mid field, and 1 forward is all you can afford) and fill the rest with mid to budget players.

I don’t know if anyone else is as into it as me but I love playing the fantasy league. I’d love the Prem without it but it just makes it that much more exciting for me.

But I’m pretty crap too. :)

11. ovalball says:

Do I ever know what you mean! This is just my third year of following the EPL and doing fantasy league. First year I knew I would stink and I did. Last year I actually knew the players and wound up in the top 10% worldwide. Wow! I must be good! This year I thought, “Now I’m really going to kick some butt.”

HA! The only reason my league arrows can’t be “down” is because I’m already on the bottom. However, I will keep at it. I may have to use my wildcard now just to stop from digging myself further into the hole.

12. dave says:

head to head league starting in game week 7. league code is 625832-364543

13. ovalball says:

Just to stick a fork in this one—-

So, Fletch, I take Bramble out of my defense and make Lamps my Captain ’cause Chelsea is going to beat the snot out of Wigan, right?

Humbling. Very humbling.