Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Champions League On Setanta Sports: The Details

Champions League On Setanta Sports: The DetailsWhile most of the attention regarding the Champions League TV coverage in the United States for the 2009-2012 seasons has been focused on Fox Soccer Channel, Setanta Sports has an important part to play too.

In the United States, Setanta Sports will have two games each week during the group stages as well as the exclusive broadband rights on its new rebranded broadband product entitled Setanta i, to replace Setanta by Broadband.

In an exclusive interview with Shane O’Rourke, president of North American operations for Setanta Sports, we can reveal more details about the Setanta agreement with UEFA:

• Setanta will televise roughly two games per round that will be shown live or slightly delayed,
  • Setanta will have the second choice game one day (i.e. Tuesday) and then third choice on alternate day (i.e. Wednesday); Fox will get first choice both days,
  • One game per round will be shown on Setanta Premium — this will be in addition to the approximately two games per round that Setanta Sports will show,
  • Setanta will broadcast the review and preview shows of the Champions League from UEFA,
  • Customers of Setanta by Broadband (soon to be rebranded Setanta i) will be charged extra for Champions League games,
  • In Canada, Setanta gets the second choice game (after Rogers Sportsnet) and one quarter-final live, and all other big Champions League fixtures delayed.

What are your thoughts regarding Setanta’s share of the Champions League TV coverage for viewers in the United States? Click the comments link below and share your opinion.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Champions League On Setanta Sports: The Details

1. Dave says:

Re: “Exclusive Broadband Rights.”

This is a little confusing. Does this mean Setanta-i will be able to show *all* CL matches online, or will it only show the games Setanta can put on its own network while FSC takes the rest?

2. Kevin says:

“Customers of Setanta by Broadband (soon to be rebranded Setanta i) will be charged extra for Champions League games”

What does this mean? I subscribe to the yearly package which entitles me to all the CL games on PPV included in the package. Does that mean that this is going to change or that I am going to have to pay more for this or pay per game. Setanta is crazy if they think they are getting more than the already ungodly amount of money I pay for the season. All just to watch a game on a horrible grainy, small video when I can watch it elsewhere in the same quality if not better for free. If SetantaI doesn’t bring full screen video at much higher quality then I certainly will not be paying a penny more just for CL games.

3. Doug says:

I’m in the same boat as Kevin and second all of his points. I think the quality of the feeds has worsened since I bought the annual package last November. If I have to pay extra for CL matches, then I won’t be renewing my broadband package. I’d better see some value for my subscription or Setanta can forget about renewals.

4. Panda says:

…Charge extra? Setanta got my money this year but I don’t think they will next

5. todd says:

echoing displeasure with setanta broadband.. for the same price its upsetting future clients with every action. not only do we have an inferior product, we often miss out on the same content. and on top of all of that, they ask us to pay more all the time. when in fact, the only reason we show any loyalty to their product in the face of internet streams is for reliability of a corporate product. when that faith is questioned or taken for granted, we take our money elsewhere (namely, to a 6pack and watch justintv for free)

6. The Gaffer says:

Yes, Setanta i will carry all of the Champions League matches available on broadband. And it will cost extra even to current subscribers to Setanta By Broadband. Let me check to see if annual subscribers will be charged however.

7. andy c. says:

i’m not on board with this change. champions league action should become more accessible, not less accessible. what’s with average guys getting raked for the bill instead of sponsors. this is not cool.

i’m less willing to switch to dish or direct tv now.

8. Jay says:

Screw $etanta. Buncha c**ts

9. Jay says:

Moderation now?

Screw $etanta. Buncha…….

10. The Gaffer says:

I checked with Setanta and their response regarding whether the CL would be included in the annual subscription package is this: “We will be streaming all the CL but we have not figured out prices yet.”

More details to come as soon as we get them.

• Berkeley-B says:

My Letter to Setanta-i:

I’m extremely dissapointed that annual subscribers to Setanta-i are not granted viewing rights to champions league matches. There are plenty of press releases dating back to the Spring of ’09, at the outset of the Fox/Setanta UEFA CL contract, that stipulated that Setanta-i would be the exclusive rights holder of streaming matches. Whether or not this was compromised by Setanta’s troubles in the UK is beyond me; however, this much is clear, if the situation is not rectified you can consider this my last year as a patron of Setanta, period. I will not continue to pay a premium to access a service that provides a lackluster package of Football from the Premiership and nothing in the way of UEFA Champions League coverage.

11. john p nightingale says:

So the “first choice ” game in Canada is Barcelona / Leon?
    Pathetic – give me Man United / Milan any day!
    This is supposed to be an improvement??