Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

England: To Err Is Human, To Boo Is Madness!!

ashley cole2 England: To Err Is Human, To Boo Is Madness!!

Firstly I want to make it clear that I am not an English fan, I am from Ireland, but what I heard whenever I was watching the England game on Saturday on TV was one of the worse things that I have ever heard at a football match.

So Ashley Cole makes a mistake and presents the ball straight into the path of an opposition player, but does that give the England fans the right to lay into him and boo him for it?

I may be wrong, but I seriously thought that the point of being a football supporter is to support your team no matter the result, no matter the outcome and no matter the mistakes that are made.  England won 5-1 for pity sake and still this happens to a player.

I for one hope that these fans are looking at themselves today and are feeling a tad embarrassed.

13 Responses to England: To Err Is Human, To Boo Is Madness!!

1. Obsidian says:

AMEN to that!

2. Bishopville Red says:

Tony, you're having a laff, right? Ca$h£ey Cole publishes a book where he talks about almost driving his Bentley off the road because his weekly wage offer from Arsenal is *only* an excellent annual salary. He totally cheats the system, betrays his Arsenal team mates in the name of a few extra bucks, and generally becomes the poster boy for everything that's out of touch with the poor sods who paid over the top to watch England play yesterday.

Then, because he's so much better than the average human…err… footballer, he opts not to pay attention to what he's doing and coughs up an inexcusable gaff that gifts away goals in a group where goal differential could be a factor.

Being a fan does not mean being blind. It's about a symbiotic relationship – full effort earns full support. When players make errors that show an obvious lack of basic necessity – an attention span – they aren't showing full effort and deserved to be told as such.

The LAST thing out of touch footballers like Ca$h£ey Cole needs to hear is that everything's great and there's no need to accept responsibility for something that's obviously his fault. That's why they've devolved to such ungrateful gits in the first place.

SB

3. Mark says:

If it was anyone else they would not of got booed. Coles a twat and he deserves everything he gets and more. He has n respect for anyone else so why should england fans respect him.

4. Simon Burke. says:

I think booing is wrong and certainly doesnt help anyway but I suspect had it been anyone other than Cole (with the exception of Lampard) then there wouldnt have been booing. That said England fans need to look at themselves as if we continue to turn on the team midway between games we will start costing the side points. Fans must remember its a 90 minute game, not a 45 minute one. They pay so they can boo, great, what about those that pay not to boo and have to suffer the louts next to them that do?

5. ossie's dream says:

Cashley may be a twat but booing him is like booing the villain in a pantomime or booing Giant Haystacks during an old school, Saturday afternoon wrestling match. I have no idea why fans take things so personally. I can understand Gooners giving him stick, but England fans at Wembley? It smacks of immaturity – whether Ashely is a prick or a modern day saint is irrelevant – it has no bearing on my enjoyment of the game. He's a great left back and, yes, he did make a poor mistake but mistakes are common enough in all levels of the game. Grow up!

6. Bishopville Red says:

Ossie – there's one big difference between pantomime villains and Giant Haystacks: Those were characters played by performers. When A$h£ey makes his outrageous, out of touch with the common man comments, they're coming from the actual person, not a persona. If he's going to be crap, everyone has a right to tell him so.

SB

7. mike says:

Fans can certainly boo at will; why not? Shame on you if you're not a discerning fan who is a bit cynical when the home team isn't to par. Now whether Cole deserved it or not is another question, but one thing is for sure–these guys are well compensated and they need to suck it up and deal with the adversity. They're not endearing themselves to the fans by publicly whining.

8. Tony says:

Simon, why is Lampard entitled to be booed exactly???

9. ossie's dream says:

Fair point, BR, but I feel that football, like pantomime or wrestling, is entertainment. Cole's personality traits may make him to be an odious twerp, but what bearing does that have on the show? Why boo him when he plays for the very team you are supporting? And, finally, who gives a monkeys if he is out of touch with the common man? (You're outraged by this, really?) He is a fine left back and he plays for England. Surely that is all that matters.

10. Simon Burke. says:

I dont know Tony, i am not saying he should be but the English fans get on his case a lot and I suspec would have booed him had he made an Ashley type error whereas had say Upson or Gerrard made it I doubt the fans would have reacted quite so vociferously. I dont boo any of them, cant see any point in it unless they are all half assing it and playing like they dont want to be there. I dont think anyone really does that for England.

11. Simon Burke. says:

Hmm sorry if this gets repeated – computer issues.
    I dont think Lampard is entitled to be booed but the English seem to hate him outside of Chelsea and he has had his fair share of booing – had he pulled an Ashley this weekend I am sure he would have been booed – whereas Gerrard and Upson wouldnt have drew such a reaction. Its certainly not my sentiment that Lampard should have been booed, I dont see how booing any of them helps us get a team to the world cup.

12. Burt Reynolds says:

They bought their tickets, thats what gives them the right. I myself called him a f'n idiot when I was watching it, but that was just when they showed who was starting.

13. TokyoToffee says:

Get England playing home matches in stadia around the country!