SUN, 11AM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ARS
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

Where's The Wisdom In Andy Johnson's Move From Everton To Fulham?

andy johnson Where's The Wisdom In Andy Johnson's Move From Everton To Fulham?Andy Johnson is on the brink of joining Fulham from Everton. The clubs have already agreed a £10.5 million transfer fee, so all that’s left is for Johnson to agree personal terms. Unless another club steps in with a higher offer in the next 48 hours, Johnson will be wearing the white shirt of Fulham very shortly.

Personally, I feel that £10.5 million is too much for Johnson. The player was at the top of his game when he played for Crystal Palace although many of his goals came from penalties. At Everton, he never really lived up to his potential and there were so many matches where he came agonizingly close to scoring but just couldn’t put the ball into the back of the net. Still, while at Everton, he scored 17 goals in 61 appearances.

The 27-year old striker has seen the best of his days. It’s possible he may shine at Fulham, especially as he slots in to fill the striker role vacated by Brian McBride. But I don’t see it and I don’t hold out much hope for his future success. Johnson has lost most of his speed and isn’t as razor-sharp in front of goal as he used to be.

For Fulham, £10.5 million is a massive amount of money for the club to spend. Let’s hope that Roy Hodgson has made a wise decision.

15 Responses to Where's The Wisdom In Andy Johnson's Move From Everton To Fulham?

1. Stuart Mitchell says:

Since when did AJ lose most of his speed?

He is as quick as ever!

Its a fair valuation in the current market, personaly I cannot see him wanting to swap Europe for a relegation scrap!

He also only recently signed a 5 year contract , I think we can put this down to more tabloid rumours!

2. stu b says:

You obviously don’t watch football much. AJ is a great player and I am sorry to see him leave Everton. I think he wanted first team football. This was not guaranteed at Everton. Plus we have two very good young strikers. AJ is a hard working forward who usually scores double figures and creates a lot more. Watch at the amount of comers; throw ins and penalties he will win. For Fulham he will be brilliant. His work ethic is second to none and will show your Fulham players how to work hard for each other. A steal if you ask me. Know your football before you post rubbish, anyway you need strikes, where you saying that about Brian McBride? Don’t think so, he pulled you out of the ****, as AJ will. Good luck AJ with these fans?

3. TT says:

AJ’s just a runner, very one dimensional player – take the money Davie.

4. M says:

Stu…. Short for stupid? The author of the article isn’t a fulham fan!

And ” he will show the other Fulham players how hard to work for each other”?!?! Jimmy Bullard, Simon Davies, Nevland are all very hard workers. Don’t assume we will be bad this year because we almost went down last year. Our record under hodgson was superb. Over the last 10 games of the season we showed top 4 form. We have improved our squad dramtically this summer with gera (best wba and hungary player), Schwarzer and zamora. Still have stoor (swedens no1 rb) and a cb to play next to hangeland to come in too.

5. Adam says:

Top 4 form? I love Fulham and I don’t ever think I’ve seen them in top 4 form.

6. stu b says:

M are you on drugs? Top 4? I quite like Fulham as them are an honest team. The hard work the players put in where more for the fact that they did not want the drop. What happen all season? I have seen this many times at Everton. They probably would have left, if you dropped. Plus I don’t remember saying that the author of the article was a fulham fan or suggested this?
    M…. Short for stupid???? As I say I hope AJ stays, good look with another season of struggling?

7. tyduffy says:

Fulham are about to pay approximately the same price for A.J. that Arsenal paid for Samir Nasri.

8. Ringo says:

Sounds like another Steve Marlet deal to me.

9. brent says:

Near as I can tell AJ’s speed is mostly used for getting within half a foot of balls he subsequently valiantly fails to strike.

10. MarkL says:

AJ for £10.5 million? That’s a crazy amount of money for a player of his quality..
    Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a great player and I’ve always been a fan of him for his work ethic but 10.5m is absurd. If this really is true I say Roy should take the money!

11. MarkL says:

*I meant to say Moyes should take the money..

12. Lonnie says:

I agree with most of the sentiment here that Johnson is a bit one-dimensional and if Everton can get £10.5 m for him, I’d say sell !! :)

Fulham would be better off spending that cash on some defensive depth.

13. Luke says:

Not quick? Left most other players standing last season.

I think it is a fair price. He is a great player who has been used to draw off defenders, hold up the ball and generally work very hard for the team up front on his own. This has meant that no, he has not scored what would be expected for an out-and-out striker. But his value for the team as a whole is immense.

I will be very sorry to see him go, I suspect Everton would like to keep him, but he wants to start week in and week out. Everton usually only play 1 up front and have a goal machine in Yakubu. There are 2 great young guys also waiting to come through who will need 1st team action. Good luck to AJ and I think he is a good buy for £10m these days.

14. wisdom teeth says:

Wisdom teeth is a nonsense.
    What to me pleasure of what at me in 25-30 years has grown a teeth without which I already easily manage for a long time?
    Where they were, when I in a youth teeth opened bottles with beer because it was abruptly? When I clicked a teeth nuts?
    And then, why from name “Wisdom teeth” – I that, somehow in another way to chew has learnt? Not how earlier when I was the young fool? Whether business if to years to 30 grew, for example, wisdom fingers! Better, of course, on each hand on the additional index. But on the second big – too it is normal. And then it would be wisdom fingers – because now I precisely know, for what I should seize both hands, to hold strong-strong and never to release. Or from what to wave away – yes, now I know, from what I should wave away very much, sometimes so there is no pair of superfluous fingers on hands that from it to wave away.
    Or here, a wisdom eye. It is necessary certainly, to change the passport by 30 years because you on a forehead had one more eye… Well also I represent, as it will be scratched. When it begins to be cut through – hard, yes. But – what pleasure to look in three eyes at that, on what you could not see enough in both in any way… And points cool can be carried – represent, what turn the fashion industry can make!
    I ask me to excuse, it is simple a teeth strongly are ill

15. name says:

It is a very good thing,