Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Manchester United 4-1 West Ham United: 90 Minutes Away from the Title

alex fergusson Manchester United 4 1 West Ham United: 90 Minutes Away from the TitleManchester United obliterated West Ham United 4-1 today at Old Trafford and now move within 90 minutes of winning the Premier League title for the second consecutive year. A win next Sunday away at Wigan Athletic will guarantee the Red Devils the trophy. Or, if Newcastle manages to draw or beat Chelsea on Monday, then the Premier League trophy will officially be theirs.

In their last home match of the season, Man United cruised to victory even though they played with 10 men for a significant portion of the match after Nani was deservedly sent off. Goalscorers for Man United were Cristiano Ronaldo (2), Carlos Tevez and Michael Carrick. Dean Ashton scored a sensational bicycle kick to pull one back for West Ham.

After the match, most of the fans at Old Trafford stayed behind to hear a speech from Alex Ferguson and to watch the United players take a lap of honour. It was a party atmosphere at Old Trafford, deservedly so after a wonderful season and a place in the Champions League Final against Chelsea.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Manchester United 4-1 West Ham United: 90 Minutes Away from the Title

1. Kartik says:

And an un-deserving title it would be. Chelsea is at this point far and away the most cosmopolitan and structured side in England but dug themselves too big a hole with the early season palace intrigue to win the title I suppose.

United will be exposed in Moscow for the second rate side they are who got a cake draw in the CL. I cannot wait.

Chelsea 3

Drogba, Lampard (pk), Ballack

United 0

To think United needed a second rate footballer like Beckham to carry them to a European Cup!

2. Jagat says:

An un-deserving!!! Read the stats before u write… amazing offense + meanest defence + attractive football + disciplined team + WISE manager = CUP DOUBLE!!!

3. waldo says:

tsk! tsk! tsk! you sound a might upset mate. 2 years without the title with all those millions spent has your knickers twisted around your manhood.

4. Kartik says:

So is Man U more deserving than Chelsea simply because they score 4 or 5 goals against second rate opposition?

This is precisely why I prefer the Spanish and CONCACAF system for tie breaking a title. (points head to head and then GD head to head) Overall Goal Difference is not a true indicator of quality and the fact is Chelsea is at this point a much better team than Man U.

I guess our argument will be settled in Moscow.

5. Pingback: Manchester United vs West Ham Highlights (EPL) | Goalcentre.com - Soccer Highlights and Videos

6. waldo says:

what you may have forgotten is that this is the league rules. live with it. if your team was good enough they would live with the rules too. if you can’t score against crap teams, don’t expect to lift the trophy.

7. Thanks for the link back! Glory Glory Man Utd! :)

8. Chris, even if Chelsea draw v Newcastle United, the title will still be up for grabs on the final day of the season.

Granted yes that would mean Chelsea would have to beat Bolton (which has been a bit of a bogey side at Stamford Bridge for Chelsea) and Manchester United would have to lose at Wigan, but it’s still possible. It’s more nearly impossible than possible, but hell anything can happen on the final day of the season.

9. The Gaffer says:

Jonathan,

You’re correct. What I meant to say is that Chelsea draws against Newcastle United, that they’ll have to hope that Wigan beats Man U on the last day of the season. It’s doubtful that Wigan could win, but you’re absolutely correct.

10. Rob Howell says:

Ummm, as to ManU or Chelsea deserving the title or not.

Unless I’m absolutely miscounting, ManU has a positive goal differential against Chelsea.

Let’s see 2-nil Manchester in Old Trafford
    2-1 Chelsea in Stamford Bridge.

OK, 2 plus 1 is 3 for ManU
    2 plus 0 is 2 for Chelsea.

Yep, ManU does have a positive goal differential against Chelsea. Hard to spin in that case that Chelsea has been the better team all season.

Hey, I’m just a Yank, and maybe I can’t add or maybe I don’t know anything about football, but your argument does not seem to be backed up by the results.

11. andy's boyfriend says:

match fixing?

i hope man united get relegated. i really do.
    like they did that time in 1973.

oh wait,
    ARSENAL WERE NEVER RELEGATED.

12. andy's boyfriend says:

and liverpool

13. andy's boyfriend says:

haha.

man united are a second rate excuse of a team compared to liverpool and arsenal.

14. Michael says:

Andy’s boyfriend, you are a lunatic. Simple as that. Man U are a second rate excuse of a team compared to Liverpool, who they beat twice this season, and Arsenal, who they took 4 out of 6 points from?? You’re crazy.

Kartik, definitely have to disagree with you in saying that United got a cake draw in the CL. Who exactly has Chelsea played besides Liverpool? Olympiakos, Fenerbahce, and Schalke, Rosenborg, and a Valencia team in the relegation fight in Spain.

Man U has dealt with Roma and Sporting Lisbon in the group, both of whom are better teams than all five of the squads mentioned above, and Barcelona.

Can’t even compare the draws for both teams.

United is NOT a second-rate side; I’m not sure where anyone is getting that idea from.

15. slevin kedevra says:

Ppl sure seem to be throwing the word second rate around a bit more often than they should here. All of y’all shouldn’t get u’re panties in a bunch just because ur respective teams weren’t good enough to make the grade doesnt meen u gotta rag manu. Lose with some grace atleast, for surely loseing is all that awaits you in the years to come.

16. Rob Howell says:

Michael

I don’t think that the team that won more games than any other team should be discounted.

As to turning draws into wins, by defining any game where the game-winning goal came after the 75minute mark, looking at the results you have:
    ManU
    4 wins from draws (the only two in the 80s coming against Everton)
    3 draws from losses
    But…
    1 draw from win
    1 loss from draw

Chelsea
    5 wins from draws
    0 draws from losses
    But…
    2 draw from win
    0 loss from draw

Both had one game that ended in a draw where both teams scored in the 80s, so I’m going to discount these.

But looking at that ManU got 15 points minus 5 points based on goals in the last 15minutes for a total of 10 of their points.

Chelsea got 15points minus 4 points for a total of 11 of their points.

So, you’re right, ManU has done pretty well at playing to the end of games and snatching victory out of the jaws of kissing one’s sister, but so has Chelsea.

So, I don’t think your argument holds water.

17. Michael says:

Rob, what are you talking about?? That has nothing to do with the argument I made..

I don’t care how teams get their points or how many games they win, at the end of the day, it’s about results and points. Whoever has the most after 38 games wins; it doesn’t matter how you get there.

I think you’re talking to andy’s boyfriend, who said that “i dont think a team should be champions by losing more games than the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams. its all a matter of them being lucky turning draws into wins.

and it seems like they are always managing to have an easy time winning against managers who are their former players.”

Like I said, your argument has nothing to do with mine..

18. Michael says:

When I mentioned that you can’t even compare the “draws”, I wasn’t talking about the draws as in tie games, I was talking about the “draw” in the Champions League as in which teams United and Chelsea faced.

19. Rob Howell says:

Sorry, Michael, you’re right. Was glancing too quickly at the names of commenters. My bad.

20. Michael says:

No big deal, I’m used to the criticism haha, just wasn’t sure where you coming from on this one.

21. tampasoccer says:

Who is this guy Katrik? Why does he post here? Does he know what a football is? Jesus Christ. Didn’t want to go personal, but even I, a die hard Liverpool fan, will have to say that United are, by far, the best team in the league this year. Very few will disagree(Arsenal has an argument, if the season had finished in February). Chelsea? No tropheys this season. They don’t deserve any.

22. Kartik says:

Tampa Soccer,

Fellow Floridan you can check my website linked above and ascetain whether I know anything about Football. I happen to be of the opinion that Chelsea is much better than Man Yoo, but will admit American Soccer, MLS and our national team is my thing because after all I am an American not British so perhaps I speak without the culture and knowledge of the game a Brit has because after all you guys did invent the game and have had the most successful national team and players through the years besides Brazil and arguably Germany.

However, I am entitled to my opinion. Again, I encourage you to visit my site and determine if I know anything about Football. Again I am American so I may have a different perspective and follow different leagues than you do.

23. Liverpool John says:

It isw amazing that one of the nation’s top soccer commentators who has possibly the most popular show about MLS would be called someone who knows nothiong about Football.

And I a Red believe too that Chelsea is better than Man United at least at this point in the season.

24. Ivan says:

Leeds United fan and i have the hate that comes with the territory for Man United. At the moment Man United are top of the league and the table doesn’t lie imo, they have been the better team over the current of number games played. I’ve tipped Chelsea for the title throughout the season however i think its only a slim chance of happening.

Kartik’s cake draw comment was rightly shot down by Michael. And i agree Kartik knows a bit about football but the stuff about Man United being “second rate” and not “deserving” of the title just doesn’t make much sense. Perhaps the delivery is a bit blunt….saying that I can see arguments for Chelsea being side overall but for me Man United deserve to be where they are at this moment in time… BTW i doubt very much that Chelsea will beat Man United by three clear goals, i do think they will win though….

25. Dave M says:

kartik may or not know something about football, but his post above shows only that he’s letting his team allegiance get in the way of any insight he may or may not be able to offer. “cake draw” – to hear that coming from a Chelsea supporter is priceless. compare chelsea’s fa cup comeptition to Utd’s – compare Cheslea’s CL competition to Utd’s. Chelsea consistently got the lowest possibly rated teams available in every round in every competition. …and they STILL needed help from miracle own goals to get as far as they have. For them to win anything this season would be a travesty.

…and on a more personal note, I can’t wait to see the mass exodus when JM lands his next job.

26. Dave M,

The last I knew, Kartik was a Manchester City supporter. For all I know I could very well be the only Chelsea supporter who has posted on this thread (I can’t speak for anyone else).

However I have to admit that I do find it amusing that people say that ‘Chelsea deserve nothing this year’. Just personal humor for me is all.

And yes the exodus may happen, but the reality is this Chelsea squad has gotten pretty stale and needs to be freshened up.

27. ARS3NAL 4 Li5E says:

To Hell All U Man Yoo Fanz…..U r a bunch of cheats and ur dreams of wining the league was aided by some silly scumbag refrees who should have been demoted to the county sunday league refereeing.

28. ARS3NAL 4 Li5E says:

Alan Curbishley….Lol…Its gonna be injustice if MAN-CHEATER UTD do not win the premiership….Lol..What a Jok3r…..Was it payback time….

29. You really sound upset buddy!! but take time to read the stats: man u vs chelsea 2-0, chelsea vs man 2-1. who wins on head-to-head?

MAN UUUU year for the DOUBLE!!!

30. Obert says:

If man u can eliminate a team that uses catanacio (defensive) type of football in the likes of roma as well as an attacking-minded side of barcelona, then it will run amok @ a neutral ground against a disjointed side in chelsea, which only has a gud record @ home in the champ lgue & wont be assisted by a lineman. MAN UUUU4Life.

31. Obert says:

Kartik, you are now exposing your cherished ignorance. why should u start commenting on something that u know nothing about? As much as we respect ur opinion, at least try to research before u comment. FACTS will help u to be objective & to validate ur opinion. Otherwise man has had a gud season.

32. Obert says:

Andy’sgirlfriend, u cant afford to be @ the same level with rivals in this competitive world. one owayz strives to cum out tops. Many occassions, if not all, such people emerge victorious but they sometimes fall, & when they fall they cum up with a better plan to win sustainably. I think man u has done that pretty well this season.

Again if u saying that man u easily wins against managers who are former man u players, then u might as well say Grant, Benitez, Wenger, O’Neal, to mention but a few, are former man u players coz these have lost against Fergie by more than 2 goals: Grant (2-0), Benitez (3-0), Wenger (2-1), O’Neal (double 4-1, but could manage to get 4 points against chelsea). Honestly, man u is the only big side among the top 4 that has managed to get 12 points against the 3 title rivals in chelsea, arsenal, and Liverpool. Following is chelsea @ 8 , arsenal @ 6, and Liverpool @ 4 points. NO WONDER MAN U IS ON TOP OF THE SUMIT!!!!!