Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Arsene Wenger Wants Lifetime Ban for Taylor

Wenger Arsene Wenger Wants Lifetime Ban for Taylor

In the words of José Mourinho’s puppet character on “I’m On Setanta Sports”, shut up, Wenger.

For those of you who haven’t seen the gruesome pictures or seen video, Arsenal front man Eduardo da Silva had his left leg nearly snapped at the ankle after a sliding challenge from Birmingham defender Martin Taylor. It took nearly ten minutes for trainers and medical staff to get da Silva off the field, and all reports indicate the Croatian has a badly broken leg. It didn’t exactly take a genius to come to that conclusion as anyone who has seen what happened could diagnose the injury instantly.

It would be irresponsible at this point to speculate as to how long da Silva will be out, but Arsene Wenger has said that “His injury is very, very bad. More than the season is over.”

The Frenchman also said “This guy (Taylor) should never play football again. What is he doing on the football pitch?”

“I’ve gone along with the idea for a long time that to stop Arsenal, you have to kick Arsenal. I knew that was coming for a long time now.”

Here’s where I have a problem with Wenger. There is simply no way Taylor is going to get a lifetime ban, no way. There was no malice whatsoever in the challenge, no intent to injure like we’ve seen in the past with some of Roy Keane’s attacks on opponents when he was still a player. On the match broadcast, play-by-play man Jon Champion even said he wasn’t sure if Taylor should’ve been sent off.

Personally, I thought it was a red card and the automatic three-match ban that comes with it is deserved. Anything more than that would really be harsh on Taylor because the reality is that this was just a freak incident. It was a mis-timed, late tackle. I’ve seen numerous tackles similar to this one in the past that haven’t even been red-carded. I think it’s wrong for Wenger to call for a lifetime ban for Taylor simply based on the extent of the injury to da Silva.

It’s not as if Taylor is a repeat offender and has a reputation for causing incidents like this. He showed remorse immediately after the challenge; as Birmingham boss Alex McLeish said, “Martin’s distraught about the lad’s injury. It’s certainly not in Martin Taylor’s make-up at all to commit a malicious tackle.”

In the NHL, a player can be given a two-minute penalty for high-sticking if he gets his stick in an opponent’s face and makes contact, but four minutes if that same incident draws blood. That’s just ridiculous; you can’t additionally penalize something because of a freak injury, or drawn blood in the case of hockey. It’s not fair to overreact to how badly someone is hurt because of a challenge, I believe you have to look at the challenge itself in a vacuum and go from there. With that said, make no mistake. I’m not condoning what Taylor did today by any stretch of the imagination, but I’m also not condemning him for it either.

If I was Arsene Wenger, who has a well-deserved reputation for being a sore loser and a whiner, I would worry about my own team instead of Martin Taylor. Wenger’s star young left back, Gaël Clichy, was directly at fault for giving up Birmingham’s late equalizer through his lack of focus and poor judgement and decision-making. These two points dropped could end up being what loses the title for Arsenal, yet after the game, Wenger is talking about the opposition and not saying anything about his own team.

Taylor’s fate isn’t in Wenger’s hands; he’s just wasting his time by chipping in his own two cents about the situation. I don’t want to hear this man in public anymore. He doesn’t say anything chastizing or harsh when his players, like Eboue and Flamini, go in recklessly on challenges like they’ve done in the past month or so, either nearly causing or actually causing serious injury, but when someone from another team does the same thing to a player on his team, he gets up in arms and has a fit. I’m sorry, I don’t have any time for that and it is embarrassing.

Shut up, Wenger!

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Arsene Wenger Wants Lifetime Ban for Taylor

1. Nitwit says:

You dont want to hear wenger in public again? WTF are you on u retard?

2. DB says:

“There was no malice whatsoever in the challenge, no intent to injure”
    Did you see the tackle?
    How can you defend it?

3. Jeff says:

Micael whatever you are, you really are sick! If you think that was no more than a mistimed tackle then as the rest of your blog suggests you are a dimwit. Taylor deserves far more than a 3 match ban for this. But hey, it’s not your leg that was broken is it? It was only a game of football afterall, it’s a man’s game and all. You even post a link to the injury because you probably enjoy watching over and over you sick bastard! Wenger may whinge but I am with him 100% on this.

4. seanyboy says:

michael its a pity that the tackle wasnt done to a member of your own family and then hear ur comments u wanker

5. Jeff says:

Oh I forgot to say, this is the downside of web 2.0., idiots like this guy Michael can set up blogs with no sanity checks before hand.

6. Michael says:

DB, I watched the game this morning.

I’m not defending the tackle itself; I said it deserved a red card and have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with Wenger coming out and calling for a lifetime ban for a player on another team when he has his own team to worry about. Wenger can be upset and I understand that, but he doesn’t need to spout his mouth off.

The tackle itself was bad but as I said, I’ve seen many of these in the past. Taylor showed remorse immediately after the incident and it isn’t like Taylor is a repeat offender who has done this sort of thing before.

7. dragonki2012 says:

Shut The Fuck Up!

Why are you talking about the NHL?
    It’s a completely different sport, and you’re an idiot for bringing it up, a sport which promotes violence and other one that doesn’t.

I agree that he won’t get a lifetime ban because it’s on an Arsenal player, and yes, I’m serious, that’s the only reason why he won’t be banned for that amount of time.

If it were on Ronaldo or Rooney, the guy would be exiled from the UK, without question.

Sure I’m an Arsenal fan, but I’m a fan of Football more than anything.

So when I speak about this injury I’m trying to picture that it could of happened to anyone.

And if you look at the pictures you see that he’s nowhere NEAR the ball, studs up, straight for the leg. Maybe he didn’t mean for it to break, but I’m willing to bet he went for an injury.

If a player from my team like Eboue would of broken JT’s leg and tackled on purpose, I would be ashamed to have him on my team.

It’s clear the writer of the article isn’t an Arsenal fan, nor’ an Arsene Wenger fan, but it’s shit like this from people like you that brings up rivalry and hate twoards each other’s teams.

Makes me want to see Ronaldo from your precious Man Utd get fucked up.
    Just to see you whine.

8. Dayo says:

Have u gone insane or what? Did u even watched the match? I wonder what the hell is wrong with all this English press, u’ve never spoken the truth for once, i know it will be a different ball game if Eboue or Sagna had broken Rooney or Gerrad’s Leg.

9. dragonki2012 says:

Oh and it’s OK for Fergie to call referees bad referees and get away with saying whatever he wants, BUT when Wenger does the same it’s a national disaster and makes him a bad manager?

C’mon man, be real.

So if we don’t set an example by banning this guy what makes you think that the next guy in a few weeks won’t go after a big name such as Ronaldo?
    I mean if he only gets a 3 match ban and doesn’t have to deal with defending Ronaldo again then shit it’s worth it.

10. Michael says:

dragonki2012,

I’m not sure how many times I’ve had to tell you that I’m not a Manchester United fan; they were my preseason picks to win title but I have no significant rooting interest in them.

Fergie’s touchline bans are well-deserved, and you won’t get an argument there from me. He shouldn’t be permitted to abuse officials and when he gets punished for doing so, that’s his own fault. The difference is that he doesn’t often make comments off the field about things like Wenger does. Ferguson is gracious in defeat and doesn’t whine and complain that is team was hard-done if they lose; Wenger blames everyone but himself and his team when Arsenal doesn’t get the job done.

I’ve also said that Arsene Wenger is the best manager in the Premiership; go back to my Mid-season Awards and you’ll see that I did just that. He gets the best out of his players and has a great eye for spotting young talent.

Your comment about setting an example is what irks me. You can’t make examples out of players to draw a line in the sand, you just can’t do that. You can’t single him out just so others can see that and modify their behavior. The difference between going after a player like Ronaldo or any other big-names and today’s challenge on Eduardo is that Taylor wasn’t “going after” the Croatian. He didn’t pick him out and say “yes, that’s who I want to injure today”. If someone makes it obvious that they’re trying to injure another player, especially a big name player, then he’s going to get more than a three-match ban. Taylor didn’t do that.

11. Gooner says:

You have left me speechless.

I wonder what your reaction would be if you were Eduardo. Taylors studs were up and straight into his angle and broke Eduardo’s ankle you prat.

Taylor needs to be banned from playing for Birmingham until Eduardo’s return’s if Eduardo never plays again then so should Taylor whether he has previous form or not.

The best way to avoid this again is to make the sliding tackle an offence therefore if you cannot tackle standing up then tough sh..

I am still gob smacked as to what you have said.

wenger is right and he should be allowed to make a comment.

Anyway Nob Jockey maybe you should be banned from writting such crap

12. dragonki2012 says:

I’ve never heard Fergie blame his team or himself for losing either.

It was 2:30 into the game, if that tackle didn’t break his leg, the one 10 minutes later might have.

I’m sorry but I just don’t see how you can show sympathy to someone who goes straight in, not for the ball either, with studs up towards another player.

I’m an Arsenal fan so what I say may reflect a biased opinion. But a 3 match ban for breaking a mans leg? That’s ridiculous.

IMO, the video is more in favor of Taylor because the speed makes it look like nothing happened but looking at photos http://www.jutarnji.hr/galerija?galleryId=52http://www.jutarnji.hr/galerija?galleryId=52
    I get a different message.

13. Michael says:

Never going to happen Gooner.

Sliding challenges will always be allowed at this level and suspensions don’t work in the way you mentioned. Taylor can’t be banned until Eduardo plays again, things just don’t work like that.

Wenger has every right to be upset, but it’s wrong for him to call for a lifetime ban, just like many English fans believed it was wrong for Cristiano Ronaldo to plead with the referee to send Rooney off in the 2006 World Cup.

14. Liz Grant says:

This is just terrible – I’m going to avoid the bad language but I know one thing that everyone’s thoughts and prayers should be with Eduardo whose future looks desperately bleak. If this had happened to my son I would be having to be held back. I have sat through Arsenal games where Manu have targetted and rotated to tackle a player – one game where Viera was kicked remorsefly until eventually the referee decided he maybe give someone a yellow card. Arsene is spot on to say that there is an attitude towards Arsenal (probably jealousy). Taylor won’t get a ban but he will have to live the rest of his life knowing what he did especially if Eduardo never plays again. A friend of my younger son had a similar injury and he had to give up Sprinting for sports. All Arsenals fans should unite even more to support them in any way possible. Let’s bloody (sorry slipped up) win something this year to show them all. Remember Wenger is a human being who cares deeply about his players and their wellbeing – FA should cut him some slack rather than possibly pouring salt on the wound on a man of undoubted integrity. Gunners forever!!!

15. Simon says:

Michael, whoever you are and presumably a Birmingham City fan or Man Utd. regardless of your consideration on intent, the boy Taylor should be banned for at last as long as Eduardo is unable to play for. He may never play again, essentially the tackle was not good enough for the premiership. He should not be there.

However, well done Mcleish for trying to defend the indefensible, there is no defense on the planet, he should simply concur with the rest of the universe. That said he can phone his chum Alex and report a job well done.

16. Jeff says:

Oh so Taylor has no previous? You only kill one person one time, it’s irrelevant that you have a previous. Well guess what, he now has a previous and I hope that the next leg he breaks is somehow linked to you.

17. Jerry says:

You Sir are a typical brummie cunt!!!

Why don’t you look at the pictures of the challenge you biased blues wanker!!!

18. respiration says:

taylor showed remorse after the tackle?

it doesn’t look that way.

19. Mike says:

This blogger clearly hasn’t got use of the family brain cell today.

It’s time this behaviour was sorted out.

If you drive a car recklessly, and injure or kill someone, you go to jail, whether you intended to injure and kill anyone or not.

The FA, referees, and the media have been turning a blind eye to the moronic attitude that Arsenal “don’t like it up ‘em”.

In recent times we have now seen two Arsenal players suffer horrific injuries as a direct result of the FA and referees failing to curb this kind of behaviour.

Eboue got slated for being “reckless” when Terry followed through onto his foot, so where was the condemnation of dan smith for Diaby’s injury, and where is the condemnation for taylor on Eduardo?

Eboue’s was a genuine accident, and wasn’t even reckless, but I bet we’ll hear nothing from the idiots in the FA, the media or from the referees about this.

Wenger revealed the statistics showing the refereeing bias in the EPL last season.

The “authorities” apparently don’t want to hear, because, as we keep getting told, “there are no English players at Arsenal”.

Well, maybe it’s time some legal action is taken against the FA and referees.

Perhaps it’s now time they are MADE to listen?

20. Timus says:

Mate, even if you were 100% correct in everything you wrote, you are a fucking idiot for publishing it tonight. Right now that poor kid faces a battle to even walk again let alone play again.. and you publish this shit?

As it happens I thing you are 100% wrong and, it seems, a bit of a wanker as well.

21. LemmusLemmus says:

Like commenters above, I disagree. I didn’t see the match on the telly, and the footage you linked to, as well as the clip I found on youtube, doesn’t show an awful lot, but I’ve seen photos. The one that was linked to above is pretty tame; if you want to see sickening stuff, go here. A commenter at the linked page suggested that maybe fouling players should be banned for as long as their victims are injured, a thought to ponder.

How one can use this incident for an attack on Wenger is beyond me. Of course Taylor won’t be banned for life, Wenger’s was a moral point made in a very emotional situation.

Even so, I wish commenters would voice their disagreement in a more civilized manner.

22. Michael says:

He has a right to be upset but shouldn’t speak until personal emotion is out of the way. Calling for a lifetime ban is an extremely serious charge; I can’t think of anyone who has been banned for life for a challenge, can you?

This isn’t intended to be an attack on Wenger so much as it is a criticism. He has other things to worry about than the punishment of a player on another team who Arsenal won’t play again this year and aren’t challenging their title run.

It’s fine if you all want to disagree with me, you’re more than entitled to your opinions. Please try and keep it respectful though; saying you wish someone in my family was injured like this or you wish I myself was injured like this is both childish and classless. If you disagree, OK, but present what you want to say in some sort of organized manner.

23. Mike says:

With any luck, idiots like this and those morons in the BBC will learn first hand just what the consequences of this kind of behaviour are, so yes, it would be nice if you and your ilk did have your legs broken, the kind of moronic line you have taken on your blog really warrants it..

Try, just try, and get it into your skull that that consequences DO dictate punishment.

He was reckless, and whether he inteded to injure the player or not, he HAS to face the consequences of his actions.

To now sit there like some smug village idiot, and claim Wenger is now supposed to “control” himself and not make an “emotional” statement is one the most idiotic things I have EVER heard.

Exactly how stupid are you, jesus wept!

24. Mike says:

Perhaps you should stop digging a hole?

Your post is ill-considered and seriously unintelligent.

I might suggest that you would be well-served to remove this entry from the net.

25. DB says:

No you are missing the point!!!! Stop trying to change the subject to Wenger’s reaction – I find it very offensive that you (Michael) wrote in your blog that “There was no malice whatsoever in the challenge, no intent to injure like we’ve seen in the past”
    Do you still have this opinion?

26. Moose says:

I saw it. My wife walked in seconds after they carried him off. She saw the look on my face, asked what was wrong, and I could not even talk, tears rolling down my face. I could not tell her for minutes, nor did I rewind the DVR.

I was a disgusting challenge, and he should be gone for as long as Eduardo is out.

I know there have been others, and I know it may not have been intentional, but when you come in from the front, studs up, and miss the ball that bad, you should be frigg’n gone until the injury heals, if it does.

Maybe then, this kind of sh*t will stop.

Moose

27. LemmusLemmus says:

“That’s my point, Wenger should’ve taken a step back and refused to comment until after he had had time to cool down and speak with a clear mind.”

1. Yeah, he probably should have refused to comment, but he’s a human being.

2. Note in this respect that as a coach he’s expected to comment both on the telly and in the press conference. That’s part of his job description.

3. It’s also part of his job description to show leadership. One might interpret this to imply answering questions to the press after matches, although I’m not sure I agree.

“He has other things to worry about than the punishment of a player on another team who Arsenal won’t play again this year and aren’t challenging their title run. ”

4. Coming back to the topic of emotionality, I can’t blame Wenger for not being able to analyze his team’s defensive weaknesses right after the match. I’m sure he’ll do so in the coming week.

5. If this were my blog, I’d have deleted most of the above comments for reasons of etiquette. Policy? Software problems? Just curious.

28. United4life says:

It was a missed time tackle. We see that kind of tackle week in and week out. All you Gooners are only upset because Man United are 3 points behind now. The Reds go marchin on.

29. Michael says:

DB, yes, I still have that opinion. That early into a game, there’s no intent to injure. If it was a game in which Birmingham was getting killed and Taylor had been fouled repeatedly or frustrated, I can see him trying to injure someone on purpose. Not 2:30 in, I’m not buying the fact that he intentionally tried to cause da Silva harm.

LemmusLemmus, I would’ve deleted those comments earlier but was away from my computer. When I came back to see what had been left, I took care of what needed to be done in that respect.

30. Eric says:

I completely agree with Gooner: Taylor sits until Eduardo can play again. And it’s probably going to be a long, long time.

Otherwise, the message is this: Go ahead, be reckless, destroy a guy’s leg, get a three-match ban and move on. Meanwhile, the other guy faces months of grueling rehab in an attempt to get back into shape and form. This is Eduardo’s livelihood, his career, how he makes a living.

Players need to know that their reckless actions can impact other peoples’ lives. This is not a minor thing. Going in on a tackle like that can end someone’s career, in an instant. And if it does, or if it delays it for months on end, there must be ramifications beyond a three-match ban.

31. Hornchurch Gooner says:

I hope all you ill advised Man United supporters will remeber the callous crap you have posetd next time you get upset by Leeds fans with their obsene chants about Munich. You are no better. Shame on you making for postings suggesting we are upset because we dropped 2 points. This guys could lose his career because some no mark decided to lay down a mark.

32. Hadley says:

CALLING ALL TRUE GUNNERS. Taylor smirking must not be brushed under the carpet by the mainstream media. Email the Sunday newspapers with the following picture of him grinning

Surely with enough pressure at least one of the papers would print it, instead of just talking about an ‘unfortunate accident’ caused by someone who is ‘not like that.’

Get well Dudu we’ll do all we can for you. I know you’re a strong character, you’ve overcome adversity in the past in your career and you can do the same again. In the meantime lets get him a Championship medal and make sure that filth Taylor does NOT get away with it

33. maka says:

please go on this site and sign the petition http://www.petitiononline.com/mataylor/petition.html

34. Nitwit says:

If there’s anything called a blog-character-assassination, you just shot yourself in the head. Funny how you advise wenger to cool down and think before he talks, and then you go on writing this piece of crap post.

35. dragonki2012 says:

Put a man utd jersey on Eduardo and we’d have the prime minister leading the proposal of banning M. Taylor…
    maybe.
    Just trying to be harsh…

36. jm says:

I generally do not bother to comment on “off with his head” affairs, since I do not usually wish to add to the piling on. But I do have a couple things to add on this post.

You took a fine criticism – that the claim, “Martin Taylor should be banned for life” is false and then redirected it at Wenger. If you were looking to stir up the passions, phrasing like “Shut up, Wenger” and calling him a well established “whiner” are bound to do it. Why take the (appropriate) criticism and instead put it on Wenger? Especially when (a) many people are already angry out of concern for Eduardo’s health and (b) the crucial premises are lacking?

Issue (b) is really the one prompting me to post. I’ve never been clear on why any of us care one whit what managers say to the press. They are not talking for us. They are talking for the guys in the locker room. He was putting forth the anger and spirit the rest of the guys in the locker room probably feel.

If that is irresponsible, well, then, that needs an argument. If the discussion is going to focus on Wenger, and not his claim, we need reasons to think that managers have a responsibility to only come to the press with considered judgments which trumps their responsibility to lead their players.

37. Jeff says:

United4life. There is more to life than winning the trophy, afterall how has last year’s trophy enriched your life? I couldn’t care less about Manu being 3 points behind. It’s only football for fucks sake! If that was Ronaldo’s leg, I would honestly say exactly what I am saying now but you sir, do not have that decency.

38. Timus says:

“Calling for a lifetime ban is an extremely serious charge”

A charge can only be made by someone in authority. What Wenger gave was an opinion – and an opinion expressed after seeing a member of his team seriously injured by what looks like a malicious challenge.

Remember, The ref sent the player off immediately – he didn’t need to see the aftermath to know that it was more than a mistimed challenge – and the playing staff saw the unedited TV footage so could see just how bad it was before being asked to comment.

39. Timus says:

Oh, and great post jm.

40. BillE Shears says:

The character assassination on here has been atrocious.

But, Michael the comments were a bit over the line. You can’t really criticize a manager for being that upset after seeing that happen.

The greater issue is seeing a great footballer having his career ruined senselessly, not Wenger’s comments about it.

To call a studs up challenge with enough force to completely sever someones leg bones “a mis-timed tackle” is absurd.

41. Anonymous says:

Great news for England!!!!!!!!!!!

Eduardo out, we make the World Cup for sure.

Taylor should be knichted!

England always. Up with the Three Lions down with the Frenchy Gooners!

42. Jeff Hash says:

I’m not going to bother with the issue of what Wenger should or shouldn’t say. Managers do what manager do, and that includes standing up for the team when the situation calls.

As far as punishment goes, I can’t agree on 3 matches being enough. I missed the game live, and I’ve only seen the immediately before photo of the tackle (just before the break), but it’s enough to tell me that’s not enough.

I can’t say I’m thinking lifetime ban, but if (for example) Eric Cantona’s flying kick 13 years ago on a Crystal Palace fan was enough for a 8 month suspension, then this has to be at least that. I’d say it should go longer as the tackle led to an devastating injury with what appeared to be no chance of a play on the ball.

My thought is 16 to 28 months. That would leave him banned for the remainder of this season, all of next season, and, on the high end, another season after that.

There needs to be consequences for these studs out tackles. All they can do is end careers.

43. Todd says:

Taylor isn’t a diry player. Terrible accidents happen in sports. He might deserve a suspension, but not lifetime. He mistimed the tackle and Eduardo was too fast for him.

44. Hornchurch Gooner says:

Anoymous you are probably a mug Spurs or Hereford fan. Real football fans get their fill of footbal between August and May. Prats like you only come to life every 4 years on cheap lager in Weatherspoons when the rest of us are on our Summer holidays. 3 lion and no trophies for 40 years. You complete tosser.

45. Michael says:

Jeff, the reason Cantona got suspended for as long as he did wasn’t necessarily because of the action itself, but because he crossed the line and went into the stands. That’s a no-no in all sports; you can’t leave the field of play and go into the stands, no matter who’s heckling you or what they say. Taylor doesn’t even have a yellow card this season, and has no prior history with this sort of thing. 16-28 months is much too harsh, in my opinion.

Look what happened during the NBA game in Detroit a few years back, when several Indiana Pacers players went into the stands and attacked the fans, causing almost a full-scale riot. The action started on the court and ended up amongst the fans, and you can’t have that. Those players were suspended for long, long periods of time and fully deserved it.

46. Todd says:

I didn’t see anonymous comment. Absolutely terrible crap. You suck anonymous

47. Todd says:

so if eboue breaks evra’s leg last week…or flamini goes through nani’s ankle…are we calling for them to be banned for 2 years as well? as a united supporter, i look shamefully back on the acts of cantona and keane..but those were with intent to injure. there is no evidence that taylor was trying to injure eduardo, and definitely not to the degree he did. when alan smith broke his leg a couple of years ago some united fans made a bigger deal about the scousers sick chants and pushing the ambulance. others instead just focused on smiths wellbeing and struggle back to fitness. show some class gunners, it was a freak accident but a deserved sending off….nothing more

48. Shakira Graham says:

Wenger has now backed off the “banned for life” comment as he should. I do think Taylor should be banned for the remainder of the season. This is what happens when refs let studs up tackles go unpunished all season long with a few exceptions, players think its ok to do that and then bad stuff like today happens. I agree with Todd, it was a freak accident and he didnt purposly try to injure him, freak accident and I hope we see Eduardo on the pitch at 100% in the future.

49. Hornchurch Gooner says:

Todd, you are the exception that proves the rule. Most of us have no issues with Manc players, its is the fools that attach themselves as so called supporters. They say 90% of Man U “supporters” have never seen a game live and some of the postings tell me that this has to be true. No real fan takes any joy in a player getting badly hurt. No one can say what was in taylors mind, I just think he is another mug English player who just cant hack mit at the highest level. Lets get thePremier League down to 18 bTeams and get teams like Birmingham back down where they deserve to be.

50. Jeff Hash says:

Maybe Michael, but I still don’t think 3 matches is going to do it. There is a need right now to tell the players a firm no on studs up tackling. I can see the arguement on fan vs player violence, but I don’t know if this is a standard professional red card foul. I bring it up also as an example that the powers that be can look at circumstances and say more is needed.

I’m with Shakira on rest of the season. I’ve heard people saying “as long as Eduardo is out, Taylor should be out”, but again that brings up the lifetime possibility. I threw this season and next out as a middle ground idea. In hindsight, I’d probably stop there instead of going one more like I had said.

I don’t know, this whole episode is leaving me down. Thankfully, this is a rare occurance.

51. Hornchurch Gooner says:

I hear the FA have moved quick to punish Taylor. He has a lifetime ban from top level football. Apparently he has got to stay with Birmingham for the rest of his carreer.

52. Jeff Hash says:

I think you’ll understand if I say “I doubt it” to those reports. The FA has never moved quick on ANYTHING, nor would I want them to when it comes to this.

There’s going to be no answer until Monday at the earliest.

53. Michael says:

Eric, thanks for posting that article.

I think that sums up most people’s feelings here. I’ve tried to say that Wenger shouldn’t have commented in the heat of the moment because he was still too attached to what had happened, and Wenger said as much in this article. He has a right to be upset and that’s fair, but shouldn’t call for such a serious punishment as a lifetime ban without removing himself a little bit from the situation and he was right to say what he said this morning was “excessive”.

I think I’ll take the word of Steve Bruce, Alex McLeish, and Jon Champion over the word of angry, hostile Arsenal fans any day of the week. Bruce and McLeish have both come out in defense of Taylor and his character, saying he’s a gentle person with no ill-will meant in his challenge today.

As I’ve said, a three-match ban seems appropriate to me, but I could see an additional two matches tacked on as well. He won’t be banned for life and rightly so.

As Jeff said, this whole episode is a sad sight and I never want to see anything like I did today again. Luckily this kind of thing is so rare.

Trust me, I’m not trying to be biased against Arsenal or Arsene Wenger, but I am trying to say that Wenger has a tendency to talk before he thinks; his mouth is one step ahead of his brain. He retracted his comments about a lifetime ban and I applaud him for doing so.

I wish all the best to Eduardo da Silva and hope he’ll recover quickly

54. Alex Hleb says:

proof that your whole argument is full of it.

look at the guy’s grin with eduardo screaming in pain.

55. Alex Hleb says:

thanks for deleting my 7 comments before. you’re good at censoring. its sad you dont grant the freedom of speech that is granted to you with every one of your sad posts.

56. Alex Hleb says:

you cant even hope to achieve any of the things arsene was achieved in his honorable 58 years of life.

57. Alex Hleb says:

you know what, this isnt about banning a monster for life for a heartless tackle, this is about banning someone because they ended the career of a hard working individual. an individual with so much promise, overcoming adversity to making it to the top level of his profession and then getting it taken away within a second. the guy had family who relied on him, his pay check which was supposed to support his family in brazil and croatia. its more than getting an injury, its losing his future. and the future is priceless. wenger was right. look at this picture. a grin brought on from seeing someone in pain? is that reasonable?

taylor being able to play football and supporting his family is not fair when he takes that ability away from someone else.

58. Alex Hleb says:

and they say if the nerves are torn, he wont walk again on his own. and that is just one of the sadest things to even contemplate. im sorry but even writing this is stirring so many mixed emotions between sadness and anger. threatening the ability for a young man to walk again is monstrosity.

59. johnalster says:

Martin Taylor was trying to prove a point. Birmingham were going to play “tough.” The porbalem is he proved his point all too well. It isn’t about being “malicious.” It’s about the risks that lesser teams run when they try to WIN A GAME by jeopordizing the health of other hard working players. He meant to tackle Eduardo hard and he did so successfully. Now Birmingham and Taylor don’t want to face up to the consequences of such tactics. Eduardo was in no possesion to score, the only reason for the tackle was cynical win-at-all costs football.

I think Taylor should be banned for a season to make a point about tactics that are hurting football. Not because he is a bad person or a dirty athelete.

60. Mike says:

“A life time ban is serious”?

Gee, that’s bright!

And I suppose Eduardo’s ankle just about being severed is not?

Wenger should have “restrained” himself?

but taylor is “a nice gentle guy”.

Please get some kind of perspective, your stupidity is mind-boggling”, and the fact that you’d “take the word of Steve Bruce, Alex McLeish, and Jon Champion” says rather more about your gullibility and judgement than any intelligence on your part.

I’ll say again, this blog entry has marked you as one of the thickest bloggers around, and the fact that you actually are stupid enough to stubbornly leave it out on the web shows a complete lack of judgement and common sense.

As I said, mind-boggling, but perhaps you do need your ankle ripped of to hammer some perspective into that dense skull.

61. Michael says:

Alex Hleb,

Apparently you fancy yourself as some sort of “journalist” in the same way you believe I am not.

Let me tell you something that every journalist should know:

Speech such as that which you were using in the comments I was forced to delete isn’t protected by the First Amendment. Not everything you write applies to the “Freedom of Speech” concepts, there are restrictions to that and when you violate them, I have every right to censor what you say.

Included in those violations:

Obscenity
    Profanity
    Defamation
    Fighting Words doctrine

When you write anything including any of those four things, as well as others that didn’t apply in this situation, your freedom of speech isn’t protected. What you say doesn’t have to be published and is, in fact, punishable by law.

I’m all for a good, lively debate. When it becomes personal and you use profanities, obscenities, and things of that nature, I don’t tolerate it and something has to be done to get rid of it.

62. Alex Hleb says:

im sorry but something has to be said when the meek are attacked.

63. Bernell Williams says:

n analogy:

If you are caught driving down the street in a reckless manner you are cited for driving without due care.
    If you do the same and injure or kill someone, you are cited for reckless endangerment or manslaughter, regardless of intent.
    If you run someone over out of malice, then you’re just a murderer.

Eduardo has received a career threatening injury, but most people seem to be more concerned with what Wenger said. Wenger was right. Martin Taylor may not have intended to break Eduardo’s leg, but there was malice…there was intent. Yeah, football is a contact sport and we all know that Taylor went into that tackle with the intent to get “BALL AND ALL.” He went in to inflict pain and send an early message. Thus, the next time Eduardo got the ball he would remember the pain of Taylor’s tackle and think twice before running at him again. Well, he got “ALL AND NO BALL.” Message received loud and clear.

My assessment is that the challenge was reckless with intent to hurt, but maybe not to injure and that Martin Taylor should not lace up for the rest of the season. Further, even if there was no intent, the tackle was executed with reckless abandon and the penalty should be proportional to the outcome.

Best wishes to Eduardo for a speedy and complete recovery. Both Arsenal and Croatia will sorely miss you.

p.s. – Just in case you haven’t seen the multiple compound fracture sustained by Eduardo, take a look…it’s just disgusting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xLzrfioUA

64. Shakira Graham says:

Let me ask everyone who is calling for Taylors head right now, if it was one of your players from your club who had made that tackle and created that injury on another player would you be calling for his head as loud as you are for Taylors?

65. Alex Hleb says:

let me ask you this, if the guy was cristiano ronaldo who got tackled and had his leg severed in 2, would you want the guy banned then?

66. Mike says:

Yes shakira graham, a tackle with consequences like that DOES warrant a harsh reaction.

People were having a full go at Eboue, when terry actually followed through onto Eboue’s foot.

Now THAT was an accident and unintentional, but that didn’t stop everyone and terry himself having a go at Eboue.

The fact that terry had a go was actually downright despicable considering that he went in on Cesc earlier in the game with very clear intent to hurt and injure Cesc!

Just because we see these tackles every week is not an excuse.

We have now seen the possible consequences.

This has to stop now, not continue to be excused.

67. Dave says:

A reckless challenge has probably ruined a career, but you’d rather complain about Arsene Wenger making a comment in the heat of the moment. Taylor can’t be a malicious player becuase his current and former manager, as well as a TV commentator said so! Look at the pictures!!! If you’ve ever played the game, you know the intent of that kind of tackle.

I’ve been a regular reader here and expected more from this site. I will not be coming back.

68. johnalster says:

If you want proof of the intent, without the disturbing pictures, go to the Guardian unlimited story on the football frontpage. There is a photo while Taylor is in the air. There is only Eduardo’s leg in his sights, the ball is a foot or more away.

That photo alone, even without the terrible outcome, shows Taylor knew exactly what he was doing and it was not good.

69. Moose says:

Hey Shak, just an FYI, I showed the first contact picture to my ten year old. I will not show him the rest of the stills.

I told him if I ever see him go in studs up on someone, I would walk right out on the field and drag his a** right off the park.

Ask him yourself. He knows I am not kidding.

Moose

PS

If I see someone do it do him, God help me.

70. CHRIS says:

I think a lot people here talk regarding on his fan team, i´m not supporting any english football team, but i saw the tackle and it´s f…ing terrible, michael, Taylor deserves more than three matches if not ,that´s not football any more it´s kind of war, there are many interest (money) in this game, AND THEN ANYONE COULD DO IT AGAIN at least 10 matches off for Taylor, please,please,please but same if it happens to Rooney, gigs, lampard or TAYLOR!!!!!

71. Shakira Graham says:

I’m not defending Taylor, as I said before I think he should be banned for the rest of the season for this horror tackle. I just wanted to make sure there is no double standard happening when a tackle like this leads to an injury to another player. I hope and pray Eduardo makes it back at 100% and continue playing football as well, I’m no Arsenal fan but at this point it doesn’t matter, I want this kid to recover.

72. Alex Hleb says:

its eduardo’s birthday today by the way. he’s 25.

73. Alex Hleb says:

yesterday in the heat of the moment, i thought taylor should be banned for life, but its a little too much. i think taylor should be banned for atleast 20 games and the team be fined 100,000 pounds, or taylor should be banned for as long as eduardo isnt playing.

74. Shakira Graham says:

Why should Birmingham be fined for Taylors tackle? It’s not a situation of failure to control players crowding around the ref.

75. Alex Hleb says:

because it was all in the game plan to have players be that physical

76. Shakira Graham says:

That makes no sence, so you can fine a team for making a game plan to be physical with another team. Being physical with teams is part of the game, I dont think Taylor was told to take out Eduardo like that. There should be no fine for the Brummies, Taylor maybe but not for the team.

77. Corey Bingham says:

If this post wasn’t supposed to be an attack on Wenger then why use the phrase “shut up”? This whole post came off as being unsympathetic to how those of the Arsenal staff felt; yes, Wenger should of held his tongue but he had just seen one of his players suffer an injury that could be career ending.

I’m starting to notice that there is meaner tone to this site lately…

78. arsene says:

Arsene retracted those comments, what’s the point of arguing it? He was the coach of a player who was maliciously attacked and horribly injured….so what would you expect him to say after the match is over and his emotions are still very deep.

79. zoff says:

Michael, You ‘re really a shit. Look this picture, Taylor should be ban as long as the absentness of Eduvado at least.

80. Burt Reynolds says:

Ha, you just know if Birmingham get relegated again they won’t be seeing the likes of Bendtner and such helping them get back up again.. .

81. Alex Hleb says:

yeah. we wont be sending any more players to birmingham. we sent seb larsson, patrice muamba, nickolas bendtner, johan djourou over the past 3 seasons to help their team out.

82. Michael says:

Fabrice Muamba, but that’s ok.

83. Alex Hleb says:

i call him patrice in honor of patrice lumumba, and im sure he was named after him since theyre both from the congo. since its black history month i think we should remind ourselves of the work patrice did and his vision for africa.

84. Dave M says:

I am a United fan and no fan of Wenger’s, but there’s no way you write this article on that day (or ever). Whatever colors you wear, imagine your youngest most promising star player getting his ankle snapped in two, and you will be baying for blood much louder than Arsene Wenger’s very tame comments. And he’s right – the only way some teams can contain Arsenal is to play like thugs. Taylor may have mistimed his tackle, and it might have amounted to nothing if Eduardo’s foot wasn’t planted, but you don’t have to finish that tackle – you can pull out when you see you’ve missed the ball – the only reason to finish the tackle is to make the quicker more talented footballer know they’re in for pain today. With that as a tactic, this result was coming sooner or later.

85. JLay says:

I think Arsenal should invest in better shinguards. Just my opinion.

86. Anonymous says:

wenger said that after he said those comments that he was just angered at the moment. you kno how crazy u can be when you are angered. he really doesn’t mean to be that vicious about taylor but you’ve got to feel for wenger. just bought eduardo, a fantastic player, last summer and eduardo’s at a new club and has a near 9 month injury

no need to hate the best manager in the world, man.