- Bohemians 0-1 Sunderland. Preseason friendlies are rarely exciting and aren’t the best reflection on how a team will perform in the approaching season. That’s the good news for Sunderland. The bad news is that their performance in this match on their Irish tour (viewed via Setanta in the States) was dreadful. I haven’t seen so many comical misses in one match as I did today. If Sunderland plays like this during the upcoming season, they’ll be the laughing stock of the league.
- Arsenal 2-1 Paris Saint Germain. Arsenal kicked off their Emirates Cup friendly with a stumbling victory over PSG. At times, Arsenal played their beautiful brand of football. Othertimes during the match, they appeared to be shaky. Watch the highlights here.
- It’s that time of the year when web sites are launching new designs before the season kicks off again. EPL Talk’s redesign will go live in the next few days. But in the meantime check out new designs from 101 Great Goals, BigSoccer and Champions Soccer Radio.
- Former Match of the Day and Grandstand presenter Des Lynam appears in a TV commercial for Setanta in the UK to promote their Premier League coverage (thanks to Tokyo Toffeeman for the link).
- Interested in working for Fox in Los Angeles as a production assistant presumably for either Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Sports Espanol?
- If you’ve had the pleasure of listening to football radio reporter Stuart Hall (pictured above), you know he’s one of a kind with his ways of incorporating William Shakespeare and Mark Twain works into his football reports on BBC Five Live. Whether you’re familiar with him or not, read the following story to learn more about this fascinating fellow (someone I’d love to interview on the EPL Talk Podcast).
- After listening to this week’s EPL Talk Podcast interview with Phil Lines from the Premier League, you’ll have an idea of how mad the Asians are about the Premier League. Now the Asian Football Business Review is reporting that a 24/7 Premier League channel has debuted in Singapore by StarHub entitled, simply enough, “Football Channel.”
- Learn what Konami has in store for Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 here.
Apologies for the EPL Talk Community being down. I have a message in to technical support but because it’s the weekend, the forums board may not be back up until Monday.The EPL Talk Community is now back online. Have a great rest of the weekend.
More in General,Leagues: EPL
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is considering playing Ander Herrera in the number 10 role against Swansea after Adnan Januzaj was ruled out through injury. Januzaj came off at halftime during United’s 4-0 win over Club Brugge on Wednesday with an injury to his hip area. After Januzaj came […]
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho’s treatment of the club’s team doctor, Eva Carneiro, is to be raised in FIFA’s medical committee meeting next month, it has been revealed. Carneiro’s role at the club has been downgraded after Mourinho criticized her and head physio Jon Fearn for rushing on to the pitch […]
Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has been hailed by Roberto Martinez for maintaining a strong stance over Chelsea target John Stones. On Thursday, Kenwright declared that Stones’ attempt to force through a move to Stamford Bridge via a transfer request would not be considered. The Toffees have remained steadfast in their […]
Uruguayan striker Leandro Rodriguez has completed his move to Everton from River Plate Montevideo for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old forward has signed a four-year deal at Goodison Park and is expected to be part of a South American double swoop for boss Roberto Martinez, who also hopes to tie […]
West Brom have agreed a fee with Manchester United for defender Jonny Evans, Press Association Sport understands. The 27-year-old Northern Ireland international will now hold talks with the Baggies ahead of ending his nine-year stay at Old Trafford. A move was made for Evans after Tottenham center back Federico Fazio […]
Sweden international Ola Toivonen has answered former boss Dick Advocaat’s call to arms by signing a season-long loan deal with Sunderland, the club has confirmed. The 29-year-old attacking midfielder, who played under the Dutchman during his time at PSV Eindhoven, has joined the Black Cats from Ligue 1 outfit Rennes. […]
Coming into the season, Manchester United’s biggest question was supposed to be in defense, where fans’ brows furrowed when Daley Blind started the season at center back. Goalkeeper was also a doubt, with Sergio Romero chosen over the want-away David de Gea, while the additions of Morgan Schneiderlin and Bastian Schweinsteiger […]
Both Arsenal and Liverpool enjoyed a half of dominance at the Emirates Stadium on Monday, but neither side could find a winning goal to take the three points. The visitors will be the more frustrated having started brightly against a Gunners defense severely weakened by the enforced absences of Per […]
Monday saw Arsenal and Liverpool play out one of the better 0-0 draws in recent memory, with each side laying reasonable claim to dominating a half and finishing deserving winners. It could have finished 1-1, 3-3, or 4-2, to either side, and the fact that it ended goalless only added […]
In case it escaped your notice, Manchester United made a major signing a couple of days ago. The Old Trafford club have struck a deal with Donaco International, making them United’s official casino resort partner. Oh yes and there’s the business of Pedro signing for Chelsea right under the noses of […]
Angel di Maria's move from Manchester United to Paris St Germain moved a step closer as the Argentina winger underwent a medical in Doha. The Aspetar sports hospital in Qatar posted pictures on Twitter of Di Maria ahead of his medical. The 27-year-old was given permission to fly to Qatar […]
Manchester United chief executive Ed Woodward has flown to Catalonia to secure the £22 million transfer of Barcelona forward Pedro. It has been widely reported that the much-anticipate move will be finalized this week, with the expectation being that the Spain international will be unveiled as a United player on […]
Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham will announce a new signing in the next few days. Spurs have signed three defenders in Kieran Trippier, Toby Alderweireld and Kevin Wimmer so far this summer, but with Roberto Soldado and Emmanuel Adebayor both expected to leave the club, Harry Kane is at risk of […]
Brazilian right-back Rafael has agreed to move to Lyon from Manchester United. The Ligue 1 club announced the 25-year-old defender will sign a four-year deal, until June 2019. Rafael was told he could leave United earlier this summer after being left out of the squad for the club's pre-season tour […]
West Ham striker Enner Valencia suffered an apparently "significant" injury to his right knee and right ankle in the Europa League clash with Astra Giurgiu, the club have announced. The Ecuador forward was starting his first game since returning from the Copa America, but was stretchered off with a potentially […]