- Bohemians 0-1 Sunderland. Preseason friendlies are rarely exciting and aren’t the best reflection on how a team will perform in the approaching season. That’s the good news for Sunderland. The bad news is that their performance in this match on their Irish tour (viewed via Setanta in the States) was dreadful. I haven’t seen so many comical misses in one match as I did today. If Sunderland plays like this during the upcoming season, they’ll be the laughing stock of the league.
- Arsenal 2-1 Paris Saint Germain. Arsenal kicked off their Emirates Cup friendly with a stumbling victory over PSG. At times, Arsenal played their beautiful brand of football. Othertimes during the match, they appeared to be shaky. Watch the highlights here.
- It’s that time of the year when web sites are launching new designs before the season kicks off again. EPL Talk’s redesign will go live in the next few days. But in the meantime check out new designs from 101 Great Goals, BigSoccer and Champions Soccer Radio.
- Former Match of the Day and Grandstand presenter Des Lynam appears in a TV commercial for Setanta in the UK to promote their Premier League coverage (thanks to Tokyo Toffeeman for the link).
- Interested in working for Fox in Los Angeles as a production assistant presumably for either Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Sports Espanol?
- If you’ve had the pleasure of listening to football radio reporter Stuart Hall (pictured above), you know he’s one of a kind with his ways of incorporating William Shakespeare and Mark Twain works into his football reports on BBC Five Live. Whether you’re familiar with him or not, read the following story to learn more about this fascinating fellow (someone I’d love to interview on the EPL Talk Podcast).
- After listening to this week’s EPL Talk Podcast interview with Phil Lines from the Premier League, you’ll have an idea of how mad the Asians are about the Premier League. Now the Asian Football Business Review is reporting that a 24/7 Premier League channel has debuted in Singapore by StarHub entitled, simply enough, “Football Channel.”
- Learn what Konami has in store for Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 here.
Apologies for the EPL Talk Community being down. I have a message in to technical support but because it’s the weekend, the forums board may not be back up until Monday.The EPL Talk Community is now back online. Have a great rest of the weekend.
More in General,Leagues: EPL
Many Arsenal fans took to Twitter to vent following their team’s 1-1 draw against 16th placed Norwich City. The consensus among the majority of Gunners supporters was “title-winning teams don’t play like that.” While it was certainly a lackluster performance from the Gunners, championship clubs do, in fact, have hiccups. […]
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp believes Swansea should stick with their under-pressure manager Garry Monk. Klopp’s side moved into the Premier League’s top six with a nervy 1-0 victory over the Swans at Anfield. The result means that Monk’s side, who were fourth at the end of August, are only four […]
Arsene Wenger insisted he had no regrets over risking Alexis Sanchez in the 1-1 draw at Norwich despite the influential Chilean forward being forced off the pitch with a thigh injury. Sanchez, Santi Cazorla and Laurent Koscielny were all added to a lengthy list of long-term casualties on Sunday after […]
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho denied any rift with Diego Costa despite the striker’s unhappy reaction to being dropped to the bench for the scoreless draw at Tottenham Hotspur. Mourinho admitted the pair had argued at half-time during the mid-week Champions League victory away to Maccabi Tel Aviv and Costa’s mood […]
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho declared that the Premier League champions had produced their best performance of the campaign after they drew 0-0 at in-form Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday. Chelsea have had little to shout about of late and although the result served only to move them up to 14th place […]
In the Premier League, a select few clubs can spend the GDP of small Pacific Island nations in order to improve their squad, and with every signing it can feel like the magic of the English game keeps being sucked away. Watching Jamie Vardy and Leicester does bring back a […]
Anyone who has played soccer at any level will be familiar with certain truisms entrenched in the fabric of the game. At the highest levels of the game, though, the basic traits we’re taught as we learn the game — closing down opponents, working as a unit, springing into shape […]
Chelsea take the short trip to North London where they face high-flying Tottenham Hotspur in what is a crucial fixture for both sides (live on Sunday at 7am ET on the USA Network in the USA). With only four points separating Spurs from league leaders Leicester City, Sunday’s fixture represents […]
Leicester striker Jamie Vardy deserves the accolade of “great,” Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal said on Friday. And Van Gaal, who has worked with some great strikers over the years, went as far as to say he would not discount the possibility that Vardy could keep his side in […]
This weekend’s Premier League matches across NBC Sports in the United States features a first. It’ll be the first time that NBC’s lead soccer commentator Arlo White will be announcing a home game for his beloved club Leicester City. White will be joined by Lee Dixon from King Power Stadium […]
Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony has been ruled out of Ivory Coast’s World Cup qualifying doubleheader against Liberia. Bony limped off in City’s 0-0 Barclays Premier League draw at Aston Villa on Sunday because of a hamstring injury, with Blues boss Manuel Pellegrini saying afterwards he did not think the […]
Liverpool midfielder James Milner is hoping to shake off his hamstring injury in time to face his former employers Manchester City next weekend. The 29-year-old was forced off in the Europa League win over Rubin Kazan last week and missed the Reds' clash with Crystal Palace three days later before […]
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini claims Fabian Delph does not deserve to be booed on his return to Aston Villa this weekend. Delph angered fans when he abruptly quit Villa Park in July just weeks after issuing a strong statement pledging his future to the midlands outfit. The 25-year-old has […]
David De Gea is "really happy" at Manchester United and has thanked manager Louis van Gaal and the fans for helping him settle back in after the dramatic collapse of his move to Real Madrid. The 25-year-old Spain goalkeeper was left out of United's team by Van Gaal at the […]
Jose Mourinho declined to reveal if discussions had taken place with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich over his future, merely pointing to his lengthy contract. The embattled Blues boss is under pressure from all angles – not least to retain his place as manager amid a miserable run of results. Mourinho […]
Embattled Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on Tuesday addressed the media ahead of a potentially pivotal week for his future. Here are some of the highlights: On whether he had spoken to owner Roman Abramovich since last Saturday’s loss to Liverpool: I don’t have to answer you if I was with […]
Jose Mourinho faces a crucial period as Chelsea manager after being hit with another misconduct charge by the Football Association, prompting calls for an urgent summit to address his relationship with match officials. The 52-year-old Portuguese has until Thursday at 6pm to respond to the charge, which relates to his […]
After my unsuccessful quest to watch a Premier League match in my one night stay in Hong Kong, I wanted to see what the soccer world had to offer in Malaysia. In terms of trying to find soccer, Malaysia was a game of two halves; the hustle and bustle of […]
Sacked Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has spoken of his disappointment at being dismissed but has wished his successor well for the future. The Northern Irishman was relieved of his duties after Sunday’s 1-1 Merseyside derby draw after owners Fenway Sports Group decided a change was needed to deliver success. SEE […]
It’s been over 2 years since FOX Soccer was shut down and replaced by FXX. A lot has changed in those 2 years. Soccer is more readily available to be watched on TV and online than ever before in the United States, but it’s strewn across many networks and plenty […]