- The atmosphere for last night’s Super Classico was once again outstanding. Not only was the Home Depot Center full, but unlike most American soccer matches which seem too family friendly for typical Latin or European football fans, the crowd was rocking and the play on the pitch intense.
- The Galaxy made the most of their chances and deserved their win. Chivas looked the better team much of the match but were missing something in the final third. Besides, Goalkeeping played a part with Joe Cannon saving several shots destined to reach the back of the net while Brad Guzan’s mistake gave LA an easy first goal and his continued lack of confidence showed with tentative movement the rest of the match.
- Ante Razov is one of the greatest goal scorer in the history of the league, but last night he seemed so anxious to score that he was almost permanently in an offside position. While this is typical of some attackers in the leagues one of Razov’s biggest assets is his sense of positioning, so yesterday was very atypical of him.
- DC United’s inability to win games thus far this season is mind boggling. I still believe they will fix their problems and compete for first place in the east but even I am beginning to lose faith in United.
- FC Dallas’ young midfield was exposed on Thursday night. They looked awful and were fortunate that New York’s finishing was poor. The scoreline could have been far worse than 1-0.
- Eddie Johnson’s slump is officially over. Let’s hope this translates to confidence on national team level, because the US National Team will not win the Gold Cup without improved attacking play.
Leagues: Major League Soccer,Major League Soccer
More in Leagues: Major League Soccer,Major League Soccer
1. SOCCER BOOKS Soccer fans love books especially when they’re from some of the best authors in the business and on topics that only hardcore soccer fans could love. This year, there are several wonderful titles to choose from such as: — DAS REBOOT by Rafa Honigstein Raphael Honigstein charts the […]
A Premier League record could be broken on Saturday afternoon, in a repeat of a fixture last season that produced one of the most thrilling games the competition has ever seen. That match is one of two from English football’s top flight, which feature on our list this week. The […]
Determining the surest path to Major League Soccer success is tricky business; A league in ongoing evolution makes it so. It’s like raising children. What works in creating the most precious little kindergartener won’t work as that kid turns 11 or 12. What compels best behavior for pre-teens probably won’t […]
The North American Soccer League (NASL) concluded its fifth season on Nov. 15 with the New York Cosmos’ 3-2 win over the Ottawa Fury in the league’s title game. The title was the Cosmos’ seventh across the league’s two incarnations, with the club currently benefiting from a league model that’s […]
Justin Meram scored the fastest playoff goal in Major League Soccer history Sunday and the Columbus Crew blanked the New York Red Bulls 2-0 in the first leg of the Eastern Conference finals. US midfielder Meram’s tally after only nine seconds and Kei Kamara’s goal in the 85th minute off […]
There’s another stellar weekend of soccer in store from around the world, as domestic action returns for a significant spell after the final international break of 2015. And what better way to kickstart our weekend of action than with arguably the biggest club soccer game anywhere in the world, El […]
British comedian and talk show host John Oliver tackled the topic of daily fantasy sports games on his Last Week Tonight show on HBO Sunday night. And Oliver didn’t hold anything back in his criticism of the misleading advertising by two sites in particular — DraftKings and Fanduel. For soccer […]
FC Dallas is one step away from the MLS Cup after recording the most points in the league’s ultra-competitive Western Conference in 2015. The team faces Portland in a two-leg tie with the right to represent the West in MLS Cup 2015 on the line. If Dallas advances and Columbus […]
The life of a soccer manager is precarious at the best of times, but taking on the senior role at a Major League Soccer expansion club is clearly a triumph of hope over the experience of others. The dismissal last week of Jason Kreis by New York City FC only […]
The first two seasons of the Hero Indian Super League (ISL) championship has been a smashing success. The well-promoted league is essentially a 60-day mini-tournament that is meant to keep the attention of those in a nation not accustomed to following high-level club soccer on the local level. Both the Indian […]
Darrius Barnes knew something was wrong when he felt a twinge in his knee during an April 11, 2015 game at Gillette Stadium. The New England Revolution defender had successfully warded off lingering knee problems for the last several seasons, but this tweak was different, and the ensuing swelling served […]
This MLS season has been accompanied by a lot of talk about the state of the league, what it should be, what it isn’t and where it’s going. Think pieces about promotion and relegation, the ever-moving goalposts on designated player allotments, and even its small but growing contingent of British […]
While a lot of the European leagues have settled down, for those in the United States, the competition is bubbling up to an intriguing climax. Indeed, this Sunday will see the conference semi-finals get underway in the MLS Cup and there are a couple of standout encounters included in or […]
Here are the 10 things we learned from the first legs of the Major League Soccer conference semifinals. 1. Having fun yet? For the four teams that advanced through the initial knockout round– and one in particular – there was hardly time to breathe before the conference semifinals started on Sunday. That, plus […]
Now that the 2015 MLS regular-season has concluded, the number crunching has begun. We’ve already determined that attendances have increased 12.8% compared to last year. Plus, Univision averaged 244,000 total viewers per MLS game on its UniMás and Univision Deportes networks in the first of its 8-year TV deal. Now it’s […]
Saturday night’s CONCACAF Cup game between USA vs. Mexico was viewed on average by an audience of 1.56 million people on FOX Sports 1. While the viewing audience size didn’t beat the 5.1 million who watched the game on Univision, the number still was decent considering competition from baseball on a Saturday night. […]
MultiMatch 90 is a service FOX Sports hardly promotes, most people aren’t aware of and is hidden on FOX Soccer Plus (which many soccer fans can’t subscribe to) and FOX Soccer 2GO (which costs $20 per month). However, despite the poor marketing efforts, MultiMatch 90 is the single best feature of FOX Sports’ entire […]
Here are the ten things we learned from week 30 of the 2015 MLS season. 1. Parity is paying off Whether you like it or not, it’s hard not to marvel at MLS’ parity. In both the Western and Eastern Conferences, just six points separate teams one through six. Six teams […]
There have been better, more talented and more accomplished men than Sebastian Giovinco to perform in Major League Soccer. Start with a fellow who just left MLS, Thierry Henry, who is sometimes called “King” for a reason. The majesty of his best days in the game can hardly be overstated. […]
As the number of soccer games available to viewers in the United States continues to grow year over year, the space is becoming more competitive. There’s more choice now than there ever has been before. But which networks and leagues are doing the greatest job at enticing viewers to tune […]