Real Madrid’s victory against Liverpool is a record breaker. According to data tabulated by World Soccer Talk, it’s the most-watched UEFA Champions League Final in US history, smashing previous records.
On English-language television, CBS averaged 2.761 million viewers. Of equal importance, the match is 23 percent greater than last year’s final between Chelsea and Manchester City.
Meanwhile, on Spanish-language TV, TelevisaUnivision’s coverage across Univision and TUDN averaged 2.6 million viewers.
Combined, the viewing number for the 2021/22 UEFA Champions League Final is a record breaking 5.36 million. The previous record was 4.15 million for the 2011 final between Barcelona and Manchester United.
Massive fanbases make the difference
Coverage of the final across CBS Sports and Univision was well received. Actually, though, the main reason for the spike in viewing numbers is the popularity of the Real Madrid and Liverpool fanbases. As soccer continues to grow in the United States, more fans are becoming attracted to the world’s best teams. Subsequently, it doesn’t get much bigger than Real Madrid and Liverpool, two powerhouses of Spanish and English soccer. For CBS Sports and TUDN, it was a dream final.
TelevisaUnivision’s coverage of the 2021/22 UEFA Champions League was the highest rated ever, averaging 624,000 viewers per game on Spanish-language television.
Most-watched Champions League Final on streaming
On streaming, CBS Sports says that the game is the most-streamed soccer match ever on Paramount+. However, exact numbers are not available. Nevertheless, the Real Madrid-Liverpool final scored triple-digit year-over-year growth in average audience, streaming minutes and households compared to last year’s final.
Last of all, Nielsen national rating numbers provided by CBS Sports and TUDN.
Photo credit: Getty Images
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Spurs new-boy Richarlison banned after flare celebration
- World Soccer Talk acquired by Playmaker
- PSG set to appoint Galtier as Pochettino departs
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-min says he faced racism as teen in Germany
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Corinthians on US TV
- England under pressure to make home advantage count at Euro 2022
- US, Jamaica women win in World Cup, Olympic qualifying event
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023