Borussia Dortmund midfielder Marco Reus has extended his contract with the Bundesliga club until June 30, 2019.
The German international had been the subject of endless transfer speculation for quite some time; with the likes of Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona rumored to be his future destination.
But the attacking midfielder has told Borussia Dortmund fans feels “at home” with the Bundesliga club and is “happy” to commit his future to BVB.
“I am delighted to commit my future to Borussia Dortmund,” Reus said today. “Dortmund is my home city and Borussia is simply my club. I am looking forward to a successful future with our team and our fantastic fans behind us. There is a lot of work to be done and I want to pitch in and play my part.”
Reus has made 72 Bundesliga appearances for the club since 2012, scoring 34 goals. The midfielder has been injury-prone during his brief time with the first team. But club officials are confident that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and the player will be operating at 100% for the foreseeable future.
Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke commented on Reus’ contract extension: “Marco can define an era in Dortmund as Uwe Seeler did in Hamburg or Steven Gerrard in Liverpool.”
“The fact that Marco made this decision in the midst of a sporting crisis at BVB shows how much he identifies with the club and that makes us very proud.”