WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

7 Reasons to Watch the World Cup On Univision Deportes

argentina1 7 Reasons to Watch the World Cup On Univision Deportes

This summer, I’ve watched more soccer on Univision Deportes than ever before. During previous World Cup tournaments, I would have watched 100% of the World Cup on ESPN and ABC, but as my thirst for soccer has increased, so too has my disillusionment with ESPN’s overall coverage of the tournament.

It’s not that ESPN’s coverage is poor. Quite opposite, in fact. However, while they’ve done an above average job of covering the World Cup, Univision’s excellent coverage of the same tournament has exposed several weaknesses in ESPN’s strategy.

But rather than dwell on ESPN, here are my 7 reasons why you should watch the World Cup on Univision:

1. Soccer is the number one priority.

When you switch on Univision, you know that soccer is their number one priority. Whether it’s the in-game World Cup experience, pre-match coverage or World Cup discussion on their morning chat shows, nothing is bigger than the World Cup. Unlike ESPN, they’re not leading their hourly coverage about news regarding a basketball player, Wimbledon tennis or spending their weekend mornings talking about OJ Simpson’s highway chase from 20 years ago.

2. Excitement.

There’s a huge difference in the atmosphere when you flip between Univision and ESPN. At times, ESPN can be quite reserved and quiet, whether it’s during the in-match commentary or post-game analysis. But turn the channel to Univision, and you’ll hear much more excitement and passion in their voices. Their commentaries and goal calls are legendary. But that level of excitement carries through to all of its programming, whether you can understand the Spanish language or not.

3. Sound quality.

The crowd noise for a World Cup game is better than the same game on ESPN. If you don’t believe me, try it. Flip back and forth between the channels and you’ll notice the difference. The increased crowd noise adds to an improved atmosphere and listening experience.

4. Time matters.

When you flip back and forth between Univision and ESPN, you’ll notice another big difference. Every World Cup game televised live around the world is shown on a slight delay — usually about six seconds. But I’ve noticed on several occasions that ESPN has a delay of approximately 1-2 seconds more than Univision. So if you’re watching a game on Univision, you’ll typically see the ball hit the back of the net 1-2 seconds faster than your neighbor next door. In a big match such as your favorite team or a final, that can make a huge difference.

5 Accessibility.

One of the greatest advantages of watching the World Cup on Univision is that every single game is being shown live across free-to-air television. You don’t need a cable or satellite subscription. You can watch the games via your local Univision affiliate. For cord cutters, this is an enormous advantage.

6. No authentication required.

Another plus for World Cup soccer fans is that you can watch all of the World Cup games for free online without authentication (up until the quarter-finals when authentication will be required). If you want to watch the same games on WatchESPN.com, you have to authenticate — which means you need to prove online that you have a TV subscription to ESPN or ESPN2.

Univision also offers a World Cup app for smart phones and tablets so you can watch the World Cup games without authentication unlike ESPN’s WatchESPN app. For Univision, this will be up to the quarter-finals of the tournament.

7. Ease of use.

Perhaps one of the most convenient things to remember about Univision is that you only have one channel to remember. You don’t need to turn to the TV guide every day to figure out whether games will be on ESPN, ABC, ESPN2, or whether ESPN’s Last Call is on ESPNEWS, ESPN2, ESPN, etc.   Turn to Univision and you’ll find all of the World Cup games there.

This entry was posted in Univision, World Cup, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to 7 Reasons to Watch the World Cup On Univision Deportes

1. Kei says:

8. It’s good to explore alternative means of watching World Cup matches in 2018 and beyond, when Gus Johnson starts calling matches.

• john marzan says:

only one problem: americans dont do spanish.

and this is the second time i’ve seen worldsockahtalk promote univision. are you getting paid or something pimp spanish channel? who cares about univision.

• Jeff says:

These repeated posts on Univision’s coverage reminds me of the period earlier this year when WST seemed to have a post or mention in a post the DishWorld streaming service everyday. That seemed to be a sponsorship arrangement, which I don’t mind as a reader providing long as it’s acknowledged.

I don’t doubt that Christopher’s opinions are his own (even though I disagree with some of the points), but the advertising question is a valid one to ask. Not only because of the Univision sponsored score-bar above & banner ads, but there was a similiar article a few days ago but providing 3 reasons instead of 7 to watch Univision

• Christopher Harris says:

We call it as we see it. ESPN is also an advertiser, but that doesn’t prevent us from being critical or glowing in praise when appropriate.

2. Total Relegation @totalrelegation says:

I agree on all the points listed above. ESPN mixes down the crowd volume and at it’s dull as hell listeing to Taylor Twerkman.

3. gillyrosh says:

I watched the Portugal-USA game on Univision and was not disappointed.

4. fsquid says:

It is usually so loud where I’m watching that it doesn’t matter as long as there is a video feed.

5. truck says:

I don’t understand what they’re talking about most of the time, but I’m willing to bet they don’t spent as much time banging on about the English Premiership that the ESPN guys do

6. He's Livid says:

The Univision HD picture coming accross my cable service is quite noticably better than ESPN’s HD picture. There are some Univision negatives – Their pre and post match shows are packed with commercials.

7. goatslookshifty says:

But how will I know who Mel Kiper Jr rates as his 23rd best high school football prospect who he predicts to be the number one draft pick in the 2019 NFL Draft?
    You’re right, I’m switching over to Univision.

8. Pakapala says:

I completely agree. In the first couple days of the WC, I gave ESPN a chance and later on watched the same games replays on Univision. That’s when I realized I would have to watch the rest of the World Cup on the spanish channel. The delay between the Univision and ESPN feeds is also something I’ve noticed after I tried to switch to ESPN for a goal replay (Uruguay-England game) only to realize the ball was just going in.

9. Aram says:

Claro que si!
    Watching on Espn puts me to sleep.

10. CTBlues says:

I can understand watching the matches on Univision but how can you watch all the pre, halftime, post match, and analysis shows about the WC unless you speak Spanish?

11. CTBlues says:

With Telemundo being owned by NBC should we be expecting coverage similar to the EPL and Olympics on Telemundo and Mun2? They will probably require authentication like they do for NBC Sports Live Extra. They also better get Mun2 in HD on all carriers by 2018.

12. Leonardo says:

i’ll add another reason: everyone on Univision refers to USA as “el equipo de todos” = “everyone’s team”

13. Ken says:

In regards to ESPN coverage, the games have also been shown on ESPN3. While your provider still has to agree to provide it, it is generally done by your ISP, and most ISP’s provide ESPN3. The only TV Provider that I have heard of supporting ESPN3 was Dish Network, but I haven’t checked that out.

• Christopher Harris says:

DirecTV doesn’t allow its subscribers to access WatchESPN.

• Ken says:

If your ISP (Internet Service Provider) has an angreement with ESPN for ESPN3, which far more do than with the TV Everywhere WatchESPN, then you get access to ESPN3 through your ISP.

14. john marzan says:

but i have to admit, watching the japanese national team on BS1 or WOWOW is so much better than listening to english commentaries.