SUN, 11AM ET
ARS
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

FOX Soccer Plus Has Become Completely Irrelevant to Soccer Fans

fox soccer plus logo1 FOX Soccer Plus Has Become Completely Irrelevant to Soccer Fans

With all of the focus on FOX Sports 1 and the dismal ratings on FOX Sports 2, FOX Soccer Plus has gotten lost in the shuffle. The channel has seemingly become the red headed stepchild at FOX Sports.

With all of the changes at FOX Sports in the past 12 months, FOX Soccer Plus has become less relevant than ever before. With FOX losing rights and deciding not to renew contracts, FOX Soccer Plus has lost — for starters — Sky Sports News (with Jim White inexplicably yelling about nothing important on transfer deadline day, as well as the morning papers review), and the review show of the Championship and Football League.

There is room, however, for “premium rugby” and Aussie Rules football amongst the thinning choices of soccer on a network supposedly dedicated to it. The Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup and some England matches are all excellent properties to have, but unfortunately only the Champions League and FA Cup are of vital interest to many soccer fans. And they are also not weekly programming over the course of a season.

It’s become clear that FOX Soccer Plus is a part-time soccer network with more rugby and Aussie Rules football programming than actual soccer. Using the available match figures by FOX Soccer Plus’s own website, it’s pretty easy to see why there is very little value to FOX Soccer Plus unless you are a fan of rugby. It is a continuation of FOX’s inability to create an excellent soccer network. It’s not only about having the rights to soccer, but having the rights to games that people want to see. This was a problem when they had the Bundesliga, Serie A and the Premier League.

Instead FOX has morphed FOX Soccer Plus into a rugby dominated channel, which has very little exclusive soccer content. There is no original programming for highlights or analysis. The usefulness of the channel is limited to Tuesday-Thursday afternoons and occasional weekends for the FA Cup. Is that value for their price of $14.99 (or more) a month?

Consider the dubious decisions FOX Sports has made in the last year. They stopped broadcasting FOX Soccer Report and replaced it with FOX Soccer News, which they shut down in less than a year. Then they replaced it with FOX Soccer Daily, which was a total ratings disaster and they shut that down within nine months too. Meanwhile, FOX Sports undervalued its biggest soccer property and lost the rights to the Premier League, and then they killed FOX Soccer Channel. What we’re left with is occasional soccer coverage on FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2, and a FOX Soccer Plus that should be named FOX Sports Plus. The real losers here are the soccer fans as we’re paying for a channel that has become completely irrelevant.

fox soccer plus screenshot 600x323 FOX Soccer Plus Has Become Completely Irrelevant to Soccer Fans

This entry was posted in FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Plus. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to FOX Soccer Plus Has Become Completely Irrelevant to Soccer Fans

1. Kobashi says:

I was hoping FS+ was going to be a place where extra MLS content could air. Why not air locally produced games on a 24 to 48 hour delay on FS+? They could also air coaches and team run shows from the different markets too. FOX does this already with the college sports coaches shows on their 3 FOX College Sports channels that usually come with a subscription to a sports package.

I still don’t know why FOX dumped Sky Sports News since it is moving money from one entity that Murdoch owns to another.

2. rkujay says:

I stopped paying for FS plus on the last day of last season’s EPL. I could not care less for rugby or Aussie Rules Football. To call it irrelevant is a gross understatement of the reality of FS plus and the rest of the gus bunch.

3. Mike says:

I don’t understand why anyone still pays for it. I dumped it a year ago after the BPL season was over. I would be curious to hear from people that do still pay for it as to why. If it is for the other sports (rugby, aussie rules) that I can understand. But if it is for the soccer content it seems a high price for little content.

• Kobashi says:

FS+ is part of the Sports Package that includes a bunch of other sports networks that I watch from my cable company. If it was a stand alone channel I wouldn’t pay for it.

• goisles01 says:

I like Aussie footy. very exciting when you learn the rules. Watching it now. It’s like a grown man’s game of hot potato. :)

• Hot Potato says:

uhhhh…. Yeah. Cuz that sounds like a ton of fun. Holy cow, if a game could get more boring, I have yet to find it. Wait!! The Paint Drying World Championships is about to air on FoxSoccer+4!! yes! Can’t wait! Wooo!

4. Cantona says:

I have held on to it because of the Scottish league and Celtic matches.. But since Gus Johnson has not stopped ruining games I have been streaming matches more and more… I’m about to get rid of FS+ And my Directv sport PAC … It’s a shame the SAP for Fox Deportes on Directv doesn’t have the English feed as some other providers or I would have kept that as well.

Done with Fox… I will not be paying for Gus Johnson and Eric Shanks’ salaries any more.. I just hope advertisers do the same

Cantona—

5. goatslookshifty says:

I’d much prefer listening to Jim White spout off nonsense than any of the Fox pundits trying their stand- up routines.

6. CTBlues says:

Can’t wait for game 1 of this year’s State of Origins. FYI this channel is part of the sports package and do not spend the $14.99 for the channel.

• Yespage says:

That is great for those with a provider that does that.

With Dish, the priority has seemed to become college sports. Regardless, I don’t know what I’d pay for FS+. Seeing it lacks much soccer of consequence to be begin with. If you don’t like Rugby, the channel is a fail. No idea why they don’t toss some of that programming onto FS2 and make that channel a tad bit more worth something, like the Aussie rugby and football programming being live.

• goisles01 says:

I think Fox soccer+ does what it was designed to do. Thats why it’s +. It was originally an overflow channel for Champions & Europa League matches, Scottish Premiership and Rugby. They also handle The Hyundai A-League and the AFL. It hasn’t changed.

7. James C. Woods says:

“This site may be hacked.” LOL

8. R.O says:

Many cable providers don’t even carry FS+. Comcast in San Francisco and other parts of the Bay Area doesn’t. Never has, so FS+ (like FS20 is useless when many people can’t see it or even subscribe to get it.

9. NaBUru38 says:

“The Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup and some England matches are all excellent properties to have, but unfortunately only the Champions League and FA Cup are of vital interest to many soccer fans.”

Did you really say that the Champions League isn’t of vital interest? That’s ridiculous!