Jozy Altidore Could Get Start for Sunderland Today In Relegation Battle Against Norwich: Daily Soccer Report
In January, I wrote an article about how Jozy Altidore’s poor form and the fact that Sunderland had gone out and bought another striker was a worrying sign for the US striker’s chances of playing in the first team.
Since then, Altidore was dropped from the Capital One Cup Final squad and was dropped from the first team, but today he has an opportunity to bounce back with a start against Norwich in a must-win relegation battle, which will be televised live on NBC’s Premier League Extra Time and NBC Sports Live Extra at 11am ET today.
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet told the Sunderland Echo newspaper yesterday:
“I think these could be very important weeks for both Jozy and [Emanuele Giaccherini].
“I think that we need them in the games coming up and they both have the capacity to be very influential for the team. They have both responded well to not being in the squad; they have reacted the way I would have hoped.
“Jozy came back into the side and performed well against Crystal Palace and Giacchy too will have opportunities in the weeks ahead.
“It is always tough to be left out of a squad but we have competition for places and it will happen, it is always about how you come back into the side. When you are left out, it feels like the worst thing in the world.
“But we have plenty of games remaining and each game is an opportunity for players to show what they are all about.
“I will be delighted if Jozy and Giacchy come back into the side and finish the season really, really strongly for us.”
If the time was ever perfect for Altidore to regain his form and score for Sunderland, today is that day.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Sunderland’s Altidore to come in from the cold — Shields Gazette
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie fears missing rest of the season and World Cup — The Guardian
- The incredible, possibly true story of Kolo Toure’s Arsenal trial and what it tells us about talent — The Score
- Manchester City transfers: Geronimo Rulli mooted as possible Costel Pantilimon replacement — The Mirror
- Chelsea open talks to keep captain John Terry at Stamford Bridge next season — The Telegraph
- Man City striker Sergio Aguero will miss the Manchester derby — Daily Star
- David Cameron: 2018 World Cup bid process was ‘sorted’ in advance — The Guardian
- Fifa probe ambushes executive meeting — The Independent
- Julian Green opens up about decision to play for Team USA — FOX Soccer
- Seattle Sounders opening own business operations, breaking off from Seahawks — Sports Illustrated
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.