juan mata3 Arsène Wenger Questions Motives of Chelsea Decision to Sell Juan Mata: Nightly Soccer Report

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has questioned the motives of Chelsea Football Club’s decision to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United.

Wenger said today:

“[Mourinho] sums up what Chelsea’s thinking is [about Juan Mata].

“I am surprised because Juan Mata is a great player and they sell a great player to a direct opponent. It opens [up] again a little bit the opportunity of this transfer market because Chelsea had already played twice against Man United so they don’t play again. They could have sold him last week [before the United game].

“It opens, at least, the opportunity of the dates of this transfer window. Some teams have already played twice against one opponent and some others, not. If you want to respect the fairness for everybody exactly in the game, that should not happen. I just think you would want everybody on the same level. I can understand completely what Chelsea is doing. They do not do the rules but, maybe, the rules should be a bit more adapted to more fairness.”

In Arsenal’s remaining fixtures, they still have games against Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham, among others. Chelsea have a much easier schedule with no games against United, but they do play Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs.

While Wenger says it’s not a level playing field, the Premier League is not going to change the fixture list any time in the future to have clubs play each of their opponents between August-December. Some clubs will always have a perceived advantage in the transfer window.

Here are today’s world soccer headlines:

Premier League

International soccer

Football League

La Liga

Serie A

The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.

This entry was posted in Arsenal, Chelsea, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Arsène Wenger Questions Motives of Chelsea Decision to Sell Juan Mata: Nightly Soccer Report

1. dust says:

Unlike selling RVP to Man Utd, or Ashley cole to the Chav’s or Clichey, Nasri and Adebyor to Man City?

Wenger a Hypocrite Extraordinaire!

Im sure the Man City fan Gazidis is very pissed off, the whole fake Cabaye approach to unsettle him before Newcastle played City at the beginning of the season was his doing too. No real intent to buy.

• Jdoe says:

I take it you didn’t bother to read what Wenger said. How many of those players were sold in the middle of the season in similar circumstances.

• dust says:

I did, i just think that the bigger issue is selling to rivals, something he has done repeatedly, not the timing of it… is he implying he will need the “extra time” to prepare for Mata next season, so the summer transfer would be better? its ridiculous.

its irrelevant at what point of the season they are sold. its whinging, its what he does, “its not fair” really?

I hope Mata does single handily beat Farsenal, but thats not likely is it? Even if he did it wouldn’t Mata,

What is an issue in the transfer market is the loan system, CFC literally have a second squad out on loan, some of who play in the BPL, that do inflict damage on their rivals but can’t on them.

That is a real issue that needs addressing not this rubbish.

2. Patrick says:

I know Mata is extremely talented.

With that said, I don’t see how he fits into the current United squad. I see him more of an attacking mid type that’ll be in the slot Rooney/Kagawa (who I’d argue they spent money on a qality player and haven’t given him much of a change. I almost feel like this was a move to buy favor with Man United with Rooney this summer. I also feel this is a move United are making in anticipation of a Rooney departure this summer.

• Patrick says:

forgive the typo’s I just realized how horrid that looked just as I hit post.(new keyboard sucks) But, I feel you guys got the jist of it.

• Trevor says:

I agree, Patrick. I admit my glasses are tinted blue but I just don’t see how Mata works in United’s set up. They employ direct, forward thinking football via their flanks. Unless they plan to change their current system he will be completely bypassed in the attack.

Rooney functioned well behind the striker because he can use his physicality to receive the ball, hold off his man, and supply to the striker. That is not Mata’s game AT ALL. He needs to be the creative fulcrum in order to be at his best and unless United change tactical set up he’ll go the way of the Kagawa.

3. john marzan says:

arsene is a whiny bitch.