WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Named Cardiff City Manager: Official

ole gunnar solskjaer Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Named Cardiff City Manager: Official

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been appointed as manager of Cardiff City, to replace Malky Mackay in the job in the Welsh capital.

In a statement on the club’s website, the club said:

“Cardiff City Football Club are delighted to announce that Ole Gunnar Solskjær has joined the club as first team manager.

“Following discussions with Tan Sri Vincent Tan and Club Chairman Mehmet Dalman, Ole, joining Cardiff City from Molde FK, today met with his new squad at the Vale training ground and will soon be unveiled to the press at Cardiff City Stadium.”

The 40-year-old manager, nicknamed “the Baby-faced Assassin” during his playing career at Manchester United, coached Manchester United reserves from 2008-11, which was followed by a job at Molde from 2011-13. At Molde, he helped his club win the Norwegian Premier League in 2011 and 2012, as well as the Norwegian Football Cup in 2013.

Solskjaer’s first game in charge of the club may be this Saturday when the Bluebirds travel to St James’ Park to play Newcastle United in the third round of the FA Cup.

According to The Daily Telegraph newspaper, Solskjaer will be handed a £25million war chest to spend to improve the Cardiff City squad.

After signing the deal, Solksjaer said:

“It’s a fantastic challenge for me. Cardiff City are ready to take the next step up, I hope I can help them.

“I’ve always dreamt of being a manager in the Premier League and I’m delighted to get the opportunity. I’m really looking forward to the challenge ahead. I’m going to bring my energy and enthusiasm to the club. I’m a very positive manager. I want to play a good style of football and yesterday we showed what a threat we can be.

“We’ve got some of the toughest trips in world football coming up this month. They’re games we’ll relish and look forward to.”

Cardiff City Chairman Mehmet Dalman was equally enthused:

“There was only one name in my head from the very beginning. We’re delighted to welcome Ole to Cardiff City FC.”

Editor’s note: For the latest Cardiff news, analysis and opinion, visit the Cardiff City team page.

This entry was posted in Cardiff City, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Named Cardiff City Manager: Official

1. Marc says:

As my favorite Man United player I wish him all the luck in the world.

2. Mufc77 says:

Career suicide.

3. abdirahman says:

he w’ll be sacked tomorrow!!! This mad “tan” won’t allow him to do things in his own way. he is the owner &the manager of his club.. Both “dictator”. The cruel way they dealt malky mackay won’t go away easily. I hope they get relegated come may..

4. Brian D says:

Collect a bunch of the crazy man’s money then move on to the next job.