SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
DEP
REAL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
SOU

What Are Your Favorite Soccer Books?

Books What Are Your Favorite Soccer Books?

It’s that time of the year when many of us may start thinking about soccer book ideas either to give or receive.

Now is your opportunity to share with us in the comments section below your soccer book recommendations. Or, if you don’t have any in mind, feel free to post your questions in the comments regarding what types of books you’re interested in — so one or more of our readers can make a recommendation.

Over the years, I’ve read so many wonderful soccer books — everything from My Favourite Year to Soccernomics and Nobody Ever Says Thank You (Jonathan Wilson’s brilliant Brian Clough biography). I particularly love soccer history, so a few books that are near and dear to my heart also include Engineering Archie, The Football Grounds of Britain and Dr. Everton’s Magnificent Obsession.

To me, there are so many wonderful soccer books but very few good films about the sport.

Also, feel free to browse through our ultimate guide to soccer books on this site, which includes many of the classic soccer books.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and questions! Post away below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to What Are Your Favorite Soccer Books?

1. eddymc2 says:

I like John Ludden’s “Fields of Fire”: it was my first soccer book, and considering how much I love history as well, it’s still one of my faves. Recently I’ve finished reading Phillippe Auclair’s Thierry Henry biography, “Lonely At The Top”, great read. My all-time favorite is still “I Am The Secret Footballer”, though I’m yet to read Dennis Bergkamp’s new book.

2. tmoore94 says:

Really enjoyed Bloody Confused by Chuck Culpepper and The Beckham Experiment by Grant Wahl.

I read Damned United by found it difficult to get through at times. The switching from the present to the past worked better in the film that it did on paper.

3. Morgan Green says:

Currently reading “A Season with Verona” by Tim Parks. Highly recommend it.

4. Bishopville Red says:

Brilliant Orange by David Winner is an interesting read.

I don’t think enough can be said about the quality of The Fix by Declan Hill. Great research that lays bare the dark side of the game.

From an entertainment POV, the classics go a long way: Fever Pitch is a great read, as is Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson. It’s the story of a “nearly man” as he works through his last season. Good stuff !

SB

5. Smokey Bacon says:

Family by Michael Calvin is a cracking read.

Full Time: The secret life of Tony Cascarino is good too, particularly the revelation he was never qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland.

6. Illmaticinjection says:

Rafa Benitez-Champions League Dreams

7. jtm371 says:

Nobody Ever Says Thank You.Great book learned a lot about the mad genius wort’s and all.would like to get my hands on For Pete’s Sake biography on Peter Taylor.

8. hoosiergunner says:

“The Miracle of Castel di Sangro” is my absolute favorite soccer book (and I have used it to introduce the sport to several of my non-soccer friends, namely because that is the perspective of the narrator), but I honestly can’t think of a book on the topic that I haven’t enjoyed. “Soccer Dad” is incredibly sentimental… almost sappy (about a father’s trip to all the fields a graduating son has played on while growing up), and I am not sure I would enjoy it except that my kids are approaching that age. “Fever Pitch” is a classic, and I enjoyed “Damned United” better in text than the movie (per the earlier post), but I think both are well done. Thanks for the thread; I use these posts to populate my wishlist on Amazon.

9. Jonathan says:

In addition to all the great biographies and books about storied clubs, I really enjoy soccer books with a sociological perspective. In that vein, I’d recommend More Than Just A Game, Outcasts United, and The World Is A Ball. I love to read about what the game means to people the world over, how it can unite disparate populations, and what place it holds in a larger context.

10. gbewing says:

The Glory Game
    The Far Corner
    The World is a Ball
    Bloody Confused
    The Fix
    Soccer Men
    All Played Out

11. christian says:

Among the Thugs
    Soccernomics

12. Gabe says:

“The Miracle of Castel di Sangro” is amazing. If you haven’t read it, go read it now.

13. dB says:

I am amazed that “Soccer in Sun and Shadow”, by Eduardo Galeano hasn’t been mentioned. It’s by far the best book I’ve ever read about Futbol.