SAT, 3PM ET
ICC
ICC
SUN, 10AM ET
ARS
MCFC

Updated NBC Sports Live Extra App for Android Devices Now Available

nbc sports live extra Updated NBC Sports Live Extra App for Android Devices Now Available

UPDATED: NBC Sports Group has launhed a new update for its Android version of the NBC Sports Live Extra app today in the Google Play store. It was released at 5am ET today, Saturday, August 24.

Many soccer fans who own Android devices encountered issues with getting the NBC Sports Live Extra app to stream live Premier League matches during the opening weekend of the 2013/14 season.

The updated version of the app will resolve the issues with games freezing and the app crashing said Rick Cordella, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Digital for NBC Sports Group, in an interview with World Soccer Talk.

Cordella mentioned that one of the challenges with Android devices is getting an app to work on the multitude of different Android devices that are on the market. As a result, NBC Sports has focused on ensuring that the app works seamlessly on all of the most popular Android phones as well as many of the other devices that run Android.

Meanwhile, an updated version of NBC Sports Live Extra for iOS devices will be released in the next few weeks, which will provide an even better experience. The new iOS update will ensure that when the live streaming immediately begins that there is no blurry effect for the first couple of seconds of the broadcast (where the app currently checks your connectivity and adjusts the stream based on your bandwidth).

The updated NBC Sports Live Extra app for Android devices is now live.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, NBC. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Updated NBC Sports Live Extra App for Android Devices Now Available

1. techvet says:

Praise the Lord if a stable version of the Android app is being released.

2. Tony Butterworth says:

Good news.

On a side issue I realized something else that’s missing is an XBOX App. ESPN had a great XBOX app and I used it all the time. Last week when I came to watch a game and realized I could not use the XBOX was very disappoining :(

Chromecast is great though, I can cast from my PC to my TV so that mostly solves it but the XBOX picture quality was always better.

3. Chris says:

The problem I have with live extra is that on the web version it looks this:

I use adblock so the ad at the top doesnt show but still.. is there really a need to have an ad there? if you’re putting this picture through to ur tv through an hdmi cable it just looks wierdly framed and takes away from the game. Really hope they eventually remove it… no need to have it there on fullscreen mode

• Christopher Harris says:

NBC has paid $250million just for the rights to the Premier League, which doesn’t include all of the other associated costs in bringing the games to us, so if they want to place an ad on NBC Sports Live Extra to try to recoup their costs, I have no problem with that.

• Chris says:

I knew this would be the response but why does the ad need to be there in fullscreen mode? place 50 ads if you want to when im outside of fullscreen for all i care but the ppl who use fullscreen mode it just looks weird. I’m glad they have the rights and am happy they are giving us this service at no extra cost but theres gotta be a better way… sh*t I’d pay money to just to have that 1 single ad removed

• krazymunky says:

lol you must really hate that one ad to be willing to pay to remove it.

• Daniel says:

I’m right there with you. I have no problem paying a reasonable amount of money for an ad-free experience…even after having to authenticate my satellite or cable. It has been my experience that any app that screws up that often has messed up ad service and pulls a huge amount of resources from the app. 100% of the time in my case-of all the “free” apps i have on my phones (over 300) the problems all went away once i paid a few dollars for a full, ad-free version.

• Yespage says:

What I don’t understand is why they don’t use the existing ad signs on the field for presenting ads, by masking different ads over the shown ads. I’m certain the technology exists. That way they can advertise without it being in the way.

• Jeff says:

I don’t think the top black bar is an ad-space, it’s just that NBC Sports Live Extra when in full-screen mode doesn’t show the video in full-screen. Rather you have the big black bar on top and smaller one down the sides.

It’s annoying yes, but the picture quality slightly makes up for it

4. Simon Burke says:

Cheers Gaffer, only two weeks since I complained and a fix in the pipe. Amazing. I’ll second the Xbox app request above too as thats definitely lacking.

5. Tony says:

and still no Time Warner .. this was a response I got from there Facebook page

” Premier League Extra Time isn’t available in your area yet but will be soon, which is why you can’t view it on the TV at this time. As for the App, as NBC hasn’t granted us access to their App service, we don’t have a means for offering it to you. Take care. — Jay”

• Christopher Harris says:

Sounds like Time Warner is trying to pull the wool over its customers eyes again. NBC has offered Time Warner access to the app. The ball is firmly in TWC’s court.

6. Frill Artist says:

About time! Now, give us an Xbox app, please!!

7. Dave says:

THANK GOD! Dunno if it will be stable, but it can’t possibly be worse than the previous version, right?!

8. CTBlues says:

I have the app already on my phone and when I go to look for the update it already says it is up to date.

9. will says:

app is still no good, hopefully it runs how its supposed to during the games tomorrow

10. Tony Butterworth says:

As far as I can tell the app is not actually updated. They’ve changed the date but the APK size is identical and the app does not show as updated on my device.

• Christopher Harris says:

Hopefully NBC Sports will upload a new version of the Android version of the app tomorrow. Maybe they uploaded their current version by mistake instead of the new one? I was going by the last update time/date (I don’t have an Android device to test it).

• Todd says:

They’ve done a good PR snow job on this one. Said they updated it and changed the date without actually updating it.
      Still crashing.

• Christopher Harris says:

They didn’t say they updated it. I did. NBC said they would update it either today or tomorrow, so when I saw the new ‘updated date’ listed on the app, I presumed that it’s the new build. My mistake.

Hopefully they’ll upload the new version today (Saturday).

11. sucka99 says:

Vaporware. Like everyone else my Play Store said that the app want updated so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Same issue freezing after 2-3 minutes. Nothing has changed.

Nexus 7.

12. david g says:

Still doesn’t work for me

13. sucka99 says:

Got the update a few minutes ago. Now instead of playing for 2 minutes and freezing, it just won’t play anything. Live or recorded. But it doesn’t freeze LOL.

Tried on Nexus 7, Nexus 4 and Moto Droid Razr. Oh well. PC only it is. I suppose I could try playing with Flash in the browser like I had to do with ESPN.

14. Simon Burke says:

I had a similar issue Sucka. Tried loading Newcastle, got a black screen and circle of loading death. I switched to Everton, it loaded perfectly so I went back to Newcastle and it was fine. (Nexus 7, 2013)

15. Tony Butterworth says:

It’s actually updated the app now and it worked for the 2 minutes I used it.

16. will says:

yeah the app seems to work good now, was watching the everton game as i was heading home. lets see if i can watch the next game problem free..

17. zach says:

App has been working in HD flawlessly all weekend on Optimum.

Great job by NBC to not just fix a broken app but making it a great app.

Now all we need is for them to start featuring their original and EPL game content in the repay section of the app.

18. Leo says:

I updated my Galaxy S3, and now I am not able to watch any live event! this is frustrating because I was counting on it when I’m not home.