WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL5
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

The Premier League Bar Viewing Experience In Portland, Oregon

bar photo 1 600x450 The Premier League Bar Viewing Experience In Portland, Oregon

A recent Sunday morning in Portland, Oregon. Early. A brief gargling with Scope does little to wash out the heavy taste of Saturday night’s Rogue Ales and Jamesons. The streets are as deserted as those in The Walking Dead and the sun is only a dull hint in the sky. By all rights I should still be snug in my hotel bed, but with Manchester United-Liverpool, Arsenal-Manchester City, and a sidecar of Tottenham-QPR, a proper pub is the only place to be.

The brisk dawn walk to the bar is a ritual enjoyed by an ever-growing legion in America each weekend. I was lucky enough to find myself in Soccer City, USA on this particular Sunday, a city home to a host of great soccer bars filled with fans of the domestic and international game alike. I spent part of a recent Saturday night at one such bar, the Bitter End. It’s a block up from Jeld-Wen Field which played host to the Portland State Vikings and about 14,000 fewer fans than a Timbers match. On that Sunday morning, seeking the shortest distance between my bed and a bar, I found myself at the 4-4-2.

bar photo 2 600x450 The Premier League Bar Viewing Experience In Portland, Oregon

It’s a cozy spot adorned with shirts and scarves from all over the world from mighty Millwall to the ebullient Estudiantes. Spurs supporters came out in full force. Reds and Red Devils came in equal numbers. Timbers Army gear was prevalent, highlighted by a ‘Suck Feattle’ shirt. Having had a gruyere burger to go with my nightcap(s) at the Doug Fir only a few hours before, my sensitive stomach could handle nothing beyond toast but the breakfast I spied others enjoying looked good. Had my state been more solid I would have happily tried some of the more exotic fare like the Bosnian sujuk, a type of heavily cured beef. I was one of many who could stand to sip nothing stronger than tea or coffee but a few hardy souls slugged back morning cocktails, some sprinkled with Emergen-C and others, like the Bloody Mary, spiked with spicy Siraccha.

Trek to Portland and you’ll truly feel like you’ve arrived somewhere different. The climate, the independent spirit, the greenery, the grittiness, the unceasing cavalcade of bicycles, the remoteness, and the absence of anonymous chains; it’s a town like no other in the country.

bar photo 3 600x450 The Premier League Bar Viewing Experience In Portland, Oregon

But when you go to the 4-4-2, or to any other of Portland’s passionate soccer pubs to be a part of the international phenomenon that is the Premier League made real, is to feel completely and instantly at home.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Premier League Bar Viewing Experience In Portland, Oregon

1. dust says:

Looks like a great experience, surely you did enjoy a liquid breakfast (Guinness) with a voodoo donut run?

2. Thomas says:

442 is an awesome spot

3. gbewing says:

well done sir, enjoyable reading

in KC I am not aware of a bar that will open for the Sunday earlies – 2nd games yes I have a couple and in St. Louis there are some excellent bars who do Sunday morn right. We vacationed in SF this summer and I watched Euros from an Irish pub and an Italian one in Little Italy- that was a memorable experience

I’d like to see more of these type articles

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I’d agree with this. I’ve learnt that you digest sports in a different way and that geography dictates armchair support rather than personal choice. I’d be interested to know other Americans sports bar experiences and the reaction you get from non-football fans in there.

I’m planning a trip to the west coast and am looking forward to Portland and Seattle if I can schedule them in. It’d be interesting to see the reaction I’d get as an outsider both in terms of nationality and support.

I’d like to try these two spots out two, if you have a look at the links both should be self explanatory.

&

For some bizarre reason there’s an Milan branch of Stoke City supporters, we’re their second team after Inter. Some of them get over here for games and made it to teh Cup Final.

One of the lads I sit next to is a regular over there (he’s the chairman’s nephew so always takes over some memorobilia and shirts to display), there’s a few Stokies working over there who have grown it from there.

Apparently there’s a bar in Beaufort NC that’s just starting its own Stoke supporters club off. They’ve only got one member and a couple of poodles so far though.

4. Frill Artist says:

You’ll be lucky to find a football (soccer for you yanks) bar here in the Midwest.

5. Clampdown says:

Did you have the Rogue Ale made with the yeast from the brewmaster’s beard?

6. CTBlues says:

coachie ballgames if you are ever in Connecitcut make a stop at Anna Liffey’s in New Haven for a pint. They are open for all the matches including the 7:45am Saturday matches.