WED, 2:45PM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL5
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

How Many Premier League Clubs Still Play At Their Original Ground?

Some of you may remember that my favorite rock band, The Cult, are also massive football supporters. Billy Duffy, lead guitarist, appeared on talkSPORT Radio this afternoon to describe his passion for Manchester City. Meanwhile, lead singer Ian Astbury spoke about Everton in a recent interview, and had this to say about his passion for his favorite club:

“[Everton] are very much of their community and have been for over a hundred years, and one of the last clubs to be playing in their original ground.”

That got me thinking about which Premier League clubs still play in their original ground — although original is a debatable word. That’s because Everton’s original ground was Stanley Park. And after that it was Anfield. But the club moved to Goodison Park in 1892. So, technically, you’re wrong Mr. Astbury, but the sentiment still holds true since Everton has played at The Grand Old Lady, as Goodison is nicknamed, for so long.

Here are the Premier League clubs who have been in their original ground since their beginning:

• Chelsea (at Stamford Bridge since 1905),
  • Liverpool (at Anfield since 1892), and
  • Newcastle United (at St. James’ Park since 1892).
Out of 20 Premier League clubs, three is such a small number. Liverpool almost left Anfield recently to move to Stanley Park under the Hicks and Gillett regime. Chelsea lost in the bid to move to Battersea Power Station, while Newcastle United won’t be moving from their ground anytime soon — perched on a hill in the center of the city, despite owner Mike Ashley renaming the ground to suit his business interests.
This entry was posted in Chelsea, Everton, Leagues: EPL, Liverpool, Manchester City, Newcastle United. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to How Many Premier League Clubs Still Play At Their Original Ground?

1. Paul says:

I suppose Liverpool are technically still playing at Everton’s original ground, bearing in mind Stanley park was never a football ground as such, just a playing field that the team used. Also, Goodison Park was the first purpose built football stadium in the country. Before Goodison all other grounds used for football matches were originally built for other reasons then used as football grounds. Goodison was also the first ground to have two tier stands all round, first to have a three tier stand (which has an escelator installed which became the first escelator in a football ground.) and the first pitch to have under soil heating, amongst a number of other firsts the ground and club has achieved. Nice bit of trivia for ya there lads.

2. E says:

“Also, Goodison Park was the first purpose built football stadium in the country.”

I’m pretty certain it was the first purpose build football stadium in the world.

3. PaulF says:

“original” grounds are vanity project. They make you feel proud about your club while not giving you any capacity to compete in the present or in the future. You need bigger grounds to compete. So fans tend to protect this emotional attachment at the detriment of their club’s future.

• The Gaffer says:

Paul, I would argue that for Everton and Liverpool, this is true. But St. James’ Park has a capacity of 52,000+ and has had the luxury of being able to expand several times in the past.

4. IanCransonsKnees says:

If I could go back in a time machine I’d be on my way to The Victoria Ground and The Boothen End straight away. It was an awesome place when it was packed, swaying and moving with the flow of the game. Sit down at half time to rest your legs, smell the weed wafting around the back of the stand. One of my favourite daydreams is to go back to a night match on that terrace.

That said when it was knocked down in 1998 it was the oldest ground in the world with the largest terrace left in Britain, it needed to go. The Britannia Stadium replaced it and only cost £16m. I dread to think what the equivalent would be now.

Maine Road was awesome. Always remember travelling up the M6 to Manchester on a coach that broke down, we jumped off stood by the side of the road and hitched. Got dropped off in Moss Side (Helmand Province of the 90s) Beat Man City 1-0 from a Ray Wallace corner and had no idea how we were getting home but didn’t care!

One that’s still standing that’s the bollocks is Loftus Road, particularly at a night match. If any of you are in London and QPR are at home it’s worth the effort to get a ticket. The atmosphere is pretty good but it’s the proximity to the pitch which is awesome. Funnily enough the Saturday after the Man City game we ended up drinking in Shepherds Bush with the two lads we didn’t know from Adam who’d picked us up hitching to Man City on the Wednesday night previous.

Being honest I found Anfield and Goodison a let down after years of wanting to go there (Goodison always looks amazing on TV but the away enclosure is prehistoric nevermind Victorian). I will wait until they ground share in what I anticipate being a footballing Mecca before I return.

5. FCAsheville says:

JUST got back from a visit to the UK and two matches at Anfield. A stunning and historic old venue to visit and tour. Just a simple thing like the incredibly narrow entry ways into the stands are so odd and interesting. Every football fan needs to travel to the UK and see a game in one of these great old grounds! I couldn’t disageee more with IanCransonsKnees. I’ve visited Fenway Park, for example, dozens of times and always thought it was a dump that Boston needs to let go of, but I found Anfield to be very unique and special.

• iancransonsknees says:

I expected more from it, I suppose my perspective will always be different as I experience it from an away fans POV. A plus point about the likes of Anfield and Goodison is they retain personality. I find the newer grounds relatively sterile to look at when empty yet always find something you’ve not noticed before at the older grounds.

From a centrepiece stadia pov the Millennium beats Wembley for me. The Mestella I’ll never forget, that was probably the pinnacle of watching Stoke for me. My Mrs is borrowing a pair of season tickets for Benfica so we can go to Lisbon next year and try that out.

I’ve been in the main stand and exec boxes at Villa and they’re excellent, the away stand is Shit.

6. Toffee says:

Everton are not resident in their original ground, This was in fact Anfield.

7. trickybrkn says:

Gaff, West Ham United play in their original ground Boleyn Ground or Upton Park. The Thames Iron Works FC played in Canning Town that team became West Ham United. West Ham have always played at the Boleyn Ground…. This has been a hot topic with Hammer fans as the Olympic stadium looms as a possible future home ground.

• The Gaffer says:

Tricky, West Ham United was founded in 1895 as Thames Ironworks, but became West Ham United in 1900. It wasn’t until 1904 that West Ham United moved to the Boleyn Ground, their current home. From 1900 to 1904, West Ham United played at the Memorial Recreation Ground in east London as well as several other local home team’s grounds in the area.