Didier Drogba to Quit Chelsea to Join Chinese Club, Says Report

drogba1 Didier Drogba to Quit Chelsea to Join Chinese Club, Says Report

It appears that Didier Drogba has kicked his last ball for Chelsea Football Club.

The devastating news for Chelsea supporters, and fans of the Premier League, is that Drogba has reportedly agreed a contract with Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua. In an interview with France Football Magazine, Drogba was quoted as saying that he informed his teammates during Sunday’s parade through the streets of London to celebrate Chelsea’s Champions League Final victory.

Drogba added,

“We will no longer be together next season. As I decided to leave, I wanted to tell them straight in the eye. Except that I could not do it. They made me crack. Even though it’s been three years since I said I wanted to leave, I find it hard to admit that it’s over with this club – especially as I did not feel like this. But I could not see myself sitting on the bench to watch others play when the club plans to set up a new team. So that’s it – I am preparing for my leap into the unknown. It’s going to be another adventure.”

Didier Drogba’s contract with Chelsea expires this summer.

If the news is true, it’s a crying shame. I blame Andre Villas-Boas for making Drogba feel unwanted at Chelsea Football Club. After Anelka joined a Chinese club last year, there were many rumors about Drogba being contacted to play in China, too. If Villas-Boas had given Drogba more time and respect, I believe he would have seen that his future still lay at Chelsea. The incredible Ivory Coast striker still has a good one or two years left in him as evidenced by how he turned the 2012 Champions League Final around.

Farewell, Didier. We will miss you.

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Didier Drogba to Quit Chelsea to Join Chinese Club, Says Report

1. jtm371 says:

i am sure i will hurt somebodies feelings but, this is nothing more then a money grab and more power to him.you go from one of the top EPL teams and playing in the CL to playing in China.call it what it is one last grab at the golden goose.

• Frill Artist says:

Players do it all the time and it is perfectly fine. Beckham to Galaxy, Henry to Red Bull, Eto to Anzhi Makhachkala, Okocha to Qatar SC.

2. huhe888 says:

Abramovich needs a complete clearout of the veteran at Chelsea. No more gradual rebuilds.

Abramovich knows that Chelsea was lucky instead of good this season. “Park the bus” football by RDM was only a stop-gap measure, not a long-term solution.

Drogba is gone.

Terry and Lampard both need to do so that they cannot undermind the next rebuilding project.

3. Marty says:

Drogba leaves winning everything he possibly could at Chelsea

His couldn’t have asked for a better way to exit the club, what a legend!

4. gillian rosheuvel (@mezz98) says:

Well, this is sort of inevitable. He’s won all he can with them, he’s not getting any younger and the team will have to be rebuilt at some point anyway. He still leaves Chelsea a bona fide legend. No shame in that.

5. Nonsense says:

This should be the last season for most of the old guard. These were all excellent players however I think this was the last one they had in them. AVB couldn’t understand that and when DiMatteo took over he knew what they were capable of. I agree with whoever above said a major clearing out of the veterans is necessary to stay competitive. Splash some cash Abramovich.

Nothing wrong with what Drogba is doing, get paid in China during your final years.

6. Matt says:

Perfect exit. I’ll miss watching him play everyone. Except United.

7. CTBlues says:

Drogba was top class for Chelsea. I guess will also answer Torres’ question about what his future is at the club.

8. jk says:

Drogba is world class and proved it this year. He has lost a step, but when it mattered most this year he carried Chelsea. But, over the course of a long campaign it is the right choice for both parties. He will be missed by me, I have always been a football fan, but had never got into or even watched a game of club football. After the great coverage of the 2006 world cup I was dying to watch more games. I happened to be at my girlfriend’s parents house on the opening day of the 06/07 EPL season. One of the games I watched that day was Chelsea 3 Man City 0 and Drogba scored an amazing diving header. I was instantly hooked on Drogba, Chelsea, and the EPL. Given that I credit Drogba as the main reason I became a Chelsea supporter I couldn’t of asked for a more perfect ending in following the player and the club (though of course I will stick with the club.) I am a bit saddened he is going to China. To me that is the same as him retiring as I will not follow the Chinese league for any reason. (If I want to support a second rate league I would pick the MLS). Anyways, thank you for some truly great moments Drogba, none greater then Saturday.

9. Fernando says:

I’m glad Drogba is more assertive than the club are in making this decision.

Chelsea should already know who their next manager is already and not wait two weeks as Gourlay has been quoted as saying. The people under Roman are just dragging their feet again.

Drogba’s finest hour will be his lasting legacy for Chelsea Football Club.

Wembley will be a lesser arena without him.

10. Christian says:

As was said above, it’s a perfect way to step off. I hate Chelsea but respect the hell out of them for what they accomplished this season and it was Drogba who was the hero at the end.

11. Jean says:

Thank God he didn’t join the MLS. ESPN and NBC would’ve been d!ck-riding his team all season long…

12. CTBlues says:

Soccernet has an article saying this is BS and that Chelsea are in talks with Drogba and Torres.

13. Taylor says:

It’s just been confirmed by BBC.
    What a great way to end his Chelsea career: his last kick literally gave the club the European Cup !

14. Igwe says:

The permant thing here on earth is change! And the most respectable thing on earth is personal decssion. Drogba has decided to go, we all chelsea fans have to bear, and wait to see another Drogba in TORRES.

15. MEKONNEN BEYENE says:

IT IS TO SAY GOOD BY TO DIDI BECAUSE IS THE MOST TALENTED AND WANTED PLAYER OF THE WORLD SPECIALY AT DIFFICULTY TIMES SO IS HAVE A NICE TIME AND GOOD LIFE YOU WILL BE AT THE HEART OF EVERY CHELSEA SUPPORTERS

16. JJ33 says:

I WILL GO TO SEE HIM IN MIAMI ON JUNE 23 MAYBE LAST TIME WE HAVE A CHANCE TO SEE HIM IN THIS SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC