THURS, 1PM ET
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

Negative Soccer Mars Real Madrid vs Barcelona Semi-Final

Video: Brawls at the Bernabeu

Thank goodness the embarrassing spectacle of Real Madrid against Barcelona in the Champions League was played out in the semi-final of the tournament instead of the finale. The first leg of the semi-final was an example of everything that people hate about soccer. Barcelona players crowding the referee on several occasions to influence his decision. Players exaggerating contact. Poor refereeing decisions. The referee stopping and starting the game seemingly every few minutes. Off the pitch pushing and shoving. This is not what soccer is about. This was anti-soccer.

Some may blame Jose Mourinho for setting up his Real Madrid to play negative tactics, to stop Barcelona from playing their game. That was definitely a key component of the negativity but Barcelona was guilty, too. Their play acting was despicable. So too was the way they unnecessarily encircled the referee. And Barcelona committed more fouls than Real Madrid in this one.

It was an ugly game only lifted by two moments of brilliance. One was the run by Ibrahim Afellay down the right wing to cross the ball in for Lionel Messi’s first goal. The second was a magisterial run by Messi where he ran past three Real Madrid players to slot the ball into the corner of the net.

This game tonight was another example why the majority of soccer fans worldwide prefer watching the Premier League instead of La Liga. When games such as this one tonight become less about soccer and more about fighting for dominance, it’s a horrible advertisement for Spanish soccer and the sport in general. I feel sorry for anyone who was subjected to this game, who made sacrifices to watch it (such as leaving work early) because we didn’t deserve to see such a negative event. I should have watched Fulham against Bolton instead.

The sooner these semi-finals are over, the better. The second legs are essentially over before they have started anyway. And hopefully we’ll see two teams in the final who have respect for each other and who will focus on playing the game the way it was meant to be played: Manchester United against Barcelona. Until then, I’m returning to the Premier League to see real football played that is entertaining to watch and that is devoid of the antics that made the abomination of a game Wednesday night a chore to watch.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

201 Responses to Negative Soccer Mars Real Madrid vs Barcelona Semi-Final

1. Trevor says:

I have only started watching soccer/football heavily after this past World Cup, I’ve mainly been watching the EPL…and this, as well as the other “El Clasico’s” I’ve seen are exactly the stereotypical “soccer” that I had never wanted to watch before focusing on the EPL. The diving to try and draw cards, the harassing of the referee into stronger calls than necessary (Pepe’s foul was not a straight red), all of it. I know this also occurs in England, but not to the same extreme, these are allegedly the 2 “best” clubs in the world, but they engaged in a dive fest that would make Greg Louganis proud.

• Sean says:

Greg Louganis?

Wow. I have not heard that name in awhile.

• MNUfan1991 says:

The all-conquering Chinese Olympic diving team has nothing on these Spaniards. We may as well cancel the London diving events and give Spain the gold medals now.

2. Sarah says:

I completely agree. I have been a RM fan for years and I hated to see them act like children today. They are supposed to be grown men, but didn’t act like it. Now I hated the referee too, that should not have been a red card for Pepe, I’m not sure but it seemed to me that he didn’t even touch Alves… oh well I guess I’m just gonna watch ManU vs Schalke 04 instead.

• R2Dad says:

In defense of the referee, the Pepe non-foul/dive is very hard to see at full speed. Only after review in slow motion is it obvious some playacting is involved. A high boot, seen from the wrong angle, can look like a straight red.

3. Jake Islas says:

This game was despicable, and yet another reason why the Premier League is the best.

I respect the talent and ability of Barcelona, and they are no doubt a terrific club, but I would much rather see United play Real in the final. I don’t want to watch a game in which Barcelona keeps the ball forever and United have to counter. That is boring. I think for football fans that match up would be the most exciting for a CL Final that seeing little passes around the midfield until Barca either score or United counter.

I’m so sick of players like Alves, Mascherano, and Busquets simulating it makes me nauseous. Madrid of course do have their own divers, but in my opinion Barca is much worse.

• Sean says:

I think Javier Macherano is the worst diver in the world. Even when he played for Liverpool (the club I support) it was pretty embarrassing watching him at times because his dives were so blatantly obvious and accentuated by a whole lot of superfluous flailing on the ground.

• Brad says:

You don’t want to see a game in which Barcelona keeps the ball forever? Here’s an idea. WIN THE BALL FROM THEM. Oh wait, you mean the best team in the “best league” is incapable of winning the ball from Barcelona? And that makes the EPL best…how exactly?

• Lol says:

Well said Brad, These idiotic fans need to stop embarrassing themselves with their myopia. You can always tell someone is clueless and should stop watching football when they claim Barcelona are ‘boring’. If any team in their shitty little PL played like Barcelona they would be salivating. Nobody who has ever played football properly would say Barcelona are boring, only idiots who have no idea what it takes to control or pass a ball as well as Barca do. Morons.

• Jake Islas says:

This article explains it pretty well, even tho you’re an obvious Barca fan who won’t see it this way, but little safe passes around the midfield and just outside the final third doesn’t necessarily equal dominance. It can be considered negative as well.

And it’s pretty clear the EPL is the best, not just my opinion.

• You are... says:

,,,simply clueless. I am not a Barca fan, I just respect them. Also, you show your lack of understanding of football and the fact you’re a sheep who repeats what like-minded morons think by thinking Barcelona’s possession football is defensive and pointless. Playing football is about keeping the ball until you see space to exploit you moron, that’s why they go back as well as forwards.

I play football with guys who think prehistorically like you; always looking to go forward when the better option is patience and to pass it back and rebuild. PL fans like you want 100 mph football and that isn’t how the game should be played. Cretin.

• Sarah says:

Lol! But i think what he meant was that it almost looked like Barça kept the ball from Madrid but didn’t attack as it usually does :P

4. Smokey Bacon says:

Manchester United have just won the Champions League. Messi apart, Barcelona are just as bad as Madrid. They’ve also given Man Utd a blue print of how to beat them in the final. Get in their faces, press them all over the pitch, no time on the ball, wind them up. All is not well in the Barcelona camp and this bodes well for United, particularly at Wembley.

• Sean says:

Outside of Wembley hosting the final this year, did not everything you just wrote apply to the 2009 Champions League final between Manchester United and Barcelona when Barcelona narrowly beat a Chelsea side in the semi-finals that played a similar way?

• tonyspeed says:

Do you remember the circumstances by which they won. Several bad refereee calls including a waved-off intentional handball in the penalty area by etoo.

• Neel says:

What ???? Which world do u belong? lol

• You are... says:

clueless as well. Your prediction of United beating Barcelona in the final was pissed all over. Typical biased armchair PL fan who doesn’t know his arse from his elbow.

5. Dave says:

Does anyone else hate sergio busqeuts as much as me? Every time I watch him play he play-acts and it turns me off to the whole barcelona team

• Trevor says:

Not just Busqeuts, the majority of the Barca team…while I enjoy their ball movement and attacking the majority of the time, their over exaggerating of fouls is slightly ridiculous (although Real was just guilty in the last game, namely Di Maria), how many Barca guys acted like they got punched in the face when the replay clearly showed there was no facial contact? It is acts like that which have infiltrated the American sports like basketball and hockey which makes them borderline impossible to watch now too…

• Real 4ever says:

Barca are cheats !!! Everytime they play against RM,one player has to be kicked of the pitch from real. The referee likes Messi (he asked him once to give his jersey) so clearly is a Barcelona fan and all the barca players were acting and realy Mou said nothing incorrect in that press conference!
        SHAME ON YOU BARCA …..

• Mike says:

I agree with acts like these being more prevalent in basketball, but I have to disagree about hockey where I rarely see these kind of things at all.

On another note, games like these is why most of the people I know hate soccer and why I can’t stand watching Barcelona.

• Trevor says:

Mike, I wrote that post immediately after finishing watching the Bruins-Canadiens game 7, which along with game 6 of the same series featured some of the most blatant diving and embellishments in attempts to get penalties called that you will ever see by the Canadiens. You are correct that it is not overly prevalent in the NHL (thankfully), but there are teams (primarily Montreal) that do make a habit of partaking in diving and embellishing.

• Sarah says:

omg! I’m not the only one who hates him hahaha i just feel like punching him in the face whenever i see him

6. salma says:

It was a very intense game. Each ball was contested, each movement deliberate. When you play a team so frequently bad blood doesn’t get time to be forgotten and so can boil over. The RM coach likes these war of words and now we have negativity everywhere. Thank God for Messi, a guy who always plays away from the negativity and show us what futbol is all about. Either way I am always excited to watch Barcelona play. They have become awesome wit the addition of Messi the last 4 years.

• Trevor says:

Messi, the guy who always plays away from negativity, the same guy who replays clearly showed elbowing the knee of an RM (can’t remember who exactly) defender after the Ramos yellow card? Yes, he is a spectacular player, but avoiding negative plays and the such, not so much…he seems the same type of petulant player that Ronaldo (the RM one), Ramos, Dani Alves, Pedro and all the other players who acted like little stage actresses in this (and all the other “El Clasico’s” as far as I’ve seen) have acted…

• VillaPark says:

Surely you aren’t serious with this comment? Messi was seated on the ground after a tackle that required a yellow card and another Madrid player walked over to him to make contact with his head when he was on the ground. Surely you noticed the strategy to kick at Messi everytime he got the ball in the last three contests as well.

I can’t believe someone would be serious when comparing the antics of Ronaldo to Lionel Messi.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

A couple of pics in you see Messi’s “sublime” first goal he got his toe on as he went spikes up into Ramos.

the ball first argument doesn’t allow you to karate kick people or go in studs first. but whatever.

Also anyone else notice how Messi “saved” the game after Barca went up a man? How many games have Barca won a man up now- or just in the Champion’s league?

Man U have ZERO chance against these guys because they will have some Euro refs who buy into this sort of play. And the Italians are just as bad if not worse.

I hate saying this as an Arsenal fan but I hope Man U destroy them.

• Mekias says:

Nice picture. What exactly would you have done differently? The ball was coming in hard and fast from his right and he had no view of Ramos. He just reacted to the ball as fast as he could to re-direct it into the goal. What’s he supposed to do if he sees Ramos as the last second try to stick out a leg to block it? Stop?

I was certainly disappointed with the way Barca flopped around but Real Madrid set the stage for this in the first two rounds. Barca seemed determined to play down to their level this time and, unfortunately, the ref was cowardly and accepted it all. Next match they need to start handing out cards for the flops and then maybe we’ll see a real match.

• Sean says:

Sorry Dave but I have to disagree with you here.

No official would ever call that a foul.

If you watch the goal again, he does not even come remotely close to making contact with Ramos.

• Trevor says:

Villa, I’m sorry, but from what I saw of Messi in this game, he seemed very petulant. I do agree that in general, Ronaldo is a much bigger crybaby/diver/complainer, but let’s not make it out that Messi is a saint…just because someone antagonizes you doesn’t give you the right to act out in revenge…

• gangoo says:

Salma, go and sleep. You’re not adding to our knowledge.

7. Guy says:

I’m with you, Gaffer. This was not an enjoyable game to watch. The ref baiting was deplorable with players more intent on attempting to draw fouls/cards than in playing the game. As a former ref I am astounded at the abuse refs now take. A judicious yellow here and there for dissent would clear it up in a hurry, but the refs seem to lack the courage. I don’t get it. In this match, certainly, things were way out of hand.

I am also a rugby fan and anyone who watches that sport knows the absolute authority refs have over the 30 behemoths rampaging up and down the pitch. Soccer needs to take a lesson from the other “footy”.

8. walter chok says:

The negativity is not natural in la liga. It comes from Jose Mourino. Every club he touches when in big games, will get into negativy play both in his team and the opponent. I guess the prodigal coach has a dark side and brings the worst out of football especially in crunch matches.

• shakshamboo says:

man united played chelsea, managed by mourinho in the epl and although chelsea played the same negative way, united didnt get negative, so your argument is flawed. I have seen both barca and real madrid and they both have the worst divers and cheats in europe.

9. Lars says:

Just goes to show that La Liga is a joke. It started with Guardiola and Mourinho acting like two 10-year old boys at the pre-match press conferences, calling each other names and trying to bait each other into saying something regretful that could possibly lead to a suspension, fine, etc. Secondly, the whole world knows Barca’s tactics (short, quick passes and give it to Messi or Villa in attack), so why didn’t Madrid try and press Xavi et al in the midfield more? Why didn’t they play physical football (they must be twice the size of Barca’s team)? I know it is easier said than done, but I seriously think Barca are a one-tactic, one-man team. I will love (knock on wood) to see them play United who are just as fast on teh counter as them and way more physical. And, United can spray passes longer than the average 10 yard barca pass. I am tired of La Liga!

Also, how stupid does Ronaldo feel for wanting to leave United?!?

• ofere says:

I get so astonished with the way baise fans of ENGLISH FUTBUL analyse this game and judge teams. How on earth will a right thinking and true lover of the game compare the business oriented Englsish ligue to the all time most fantastic la liga? Pls i need u all to look beyound the domestic ligues and tell me how better English teams re doing in Europe than Spanish teams.
      Just in the last three seasons we have watched Barca against all the bigteams in England, u re free to consult ur brains for results pls. U re also free to ask urself how well ur England stars ve always performed in FIFA organised competitions and compere them to stars from la liga.
      Let’s try to be dispassionate in our judgement. I quite sympathise with all u Jose fans, he is too louzeeee.

• Sean says:

“Pls i need u all to look beyound the domestic ligues and tell me how better English teams re doing in Europe than Spanish teams.”

Well, since the English Premier League is ranked number one in UEFA’s coefficient rankings (which is determined by the results of the clubs from every European league in the Champions League and Europa League games over the past five seasons), the answer to your question is rather obvious. English clubs are doing better in Europe than Spanish ones. Although, in fairness, Spain is ranked second.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Isn’t there some site called laligatalk.com or ladivertalk.com or something?
        Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

• Lars is a moron says:

You’re typical of the worst type of clueless Man United fan: spouting tired, inaccurate cliches you have read in the Sun etc. To highlight one aspect of yuor clueless post, have you ever seen some of the high diagonal balls Xavi plays to Alves? They do it every game, so yes, they are capable of playing passes longer than 10 yards.

Your reference to Barca only having one tactic (despite it being extremely effective 99% of the time), and Real using their ‘physicality’ is typical of the attitude that keeps English football in the dark ages. Tecnical ability and speed of thought will always win over brute force. It’s why Nesta in his day was better than the likes of Vidic and Terry now (something else you will laugh at because you didn’t even watch Serie A when Nesta was in his prime, and you think Vidic is untouchable, but it’s just one example).

Sorry, but you are a cretin, and people like you are why many around the world think the PL is all vastly overhyped. You probably think Barcelona would struggle at Stoke and to make the top four if they were a PL club. Barcelona aren’t the problem with the game: the problem with the game is moronic gloryhunters like you who spew the latest bile you have read in the jingoistic English media and possibly influence newcomers to the game with your crap. Having watched football since 1986, the likes of you makes me feel ill. And if you think Barca can’t mix physicality with United, you obviously have no idea about the likes of Puyol and the tenacity guys like Messi and Villa have.

10. Gaffer: You hit the nail on the head. We’ve called out Barca for their hair-pulling, flopping brand of football time and again on our website. They may play attractive football at times, but Busquets, Pedro and Danni Alves more properly belong in the Womens Professional Soccer League for their girlish behavior. Barca scored a totally pyrrhic victory last night. They may have won the game, but their farcical behavior, constant whinging and complaining, and silly play-acting should be an embarrasment to anyone who supports the Blaugrana. At least Mourinho calls it like it is: refs favor Barca, and their ridiculous cheating causes refs to overreact on “typical” fouls. And to make matters worse, Barca’s behavior in arguing every call contrasted strongly with the word “respect” which is emblazoned on their blue and red sleeves. If that’s Spanish soccer, no thanks. I’ll take Fulham – Bolton any day of the week versus that pathetic cr@pfest.

• Brn442 says:

Farlie – Women don’t flop on the ground, clutching their faces after phantom fouls. How dare you.

• The Gaffer says:

I agree Brn442. I saw my first WPS game last Sunday in person and my wife and I were amazed at how much more physical the women were, but none of them flopped to the ground.

11. Kalyan says:

I completely disagree. U guys are EPL fans right? OK. It seems it will be MANU vs BARCA final. Hope u remember what happened 2 years back. Lets see how you explain this time.

• MNUfan1991 says:

How about looking back just one more year? Guess which team knocked Messi & Co. out in CL?
      Bonus point if you tell me who scored the only goal in two legs.

• Lol says:

Just shown how clueless you are MNUfan1991. That Barca team was a team in transition, still housing the trouble-making Ronaldinho, and ageing Deco and Messi was half-fit when you played them. And you still scraped by them by the odd goal.

The team next season which beat you in Rome was a far better team, totally changed under Guardiol’s stewardship rather than Rijkaard’s, which had become stale. The biggest change was the insane pressing game they now play.

If we add to that that you have lost Ronaldo since Rome, and Barca are arguably stronger, it becomes clear that you have zero idea about how to look at progress over time.

• Lol says:

Also, MNU fan, you should probably realise that real United fans who have knowledge of the club see the term ‘Man U’ as an insult, for reasons I won’t go into here, they prefer United or Man United.

Yet another gloryhunter. I despise United and know more about the club than you do. Pathetic.

• MNUfan1991 says:

“MNU” is a standard abbreviation used by many TV channels, most notably Setanta. “Man U” is what Liverpool and Leeds fan use for derogatory purposes.
          I await here patiently for your apology.

12. trickybrkn says:

my goodness… with all due respect to those that carry handbags… HANDBAGS.

these guys’ ‘injuries’ are like paper cuts vs the English meat slicer.

13. Safado says:

You people are retarded. The EPL sucks, none of your teams can come close to beating Barca or RM. The way RM play is the same way Chelsea played Barca….foul, foul, foul, foul. You can’t do that because excessive fouling is going to lead to yellow cards and the studs up Pepe tackle is going to get a red in the EPL or Intl play as well. That is the only way RM can do to try to keep the game close, but they can’t play that tactic next week because they need to push men up to score, and you will wind up seeing a 5-0 win for Barca…..So all you EPL fans, keep watching the EPL with their high priced players foreign players with almost zero homegrown talent….keep watching them get their asses kicked by Barca, and RM between RM have a good team as well. Barca players aren’t acting, they getting fouled blatently, open your eyes…Pepe and Marcelo are animals. The biggest divers on the field are Ronaldo, as usual, and his protege Di Maria.

• bill says:

Ahem…Arsenal beat Barca in the Champions League this year, so i stopped reading your comment after the 1st sentence..

• vanny says:

hahaha, “they are getting fouled blatently”…. WTF game were you watching Safado?!?!?!? How bout you read every article about this game today everywhere and tell me what everyone is complaining about… hint: Barcelona diving, etc. There is a reason why people are talking about this right now including YOU!

• R2Dad says:

Please note that the PL is at the opposite end of the sprectrum wrt tackles–the FA is trying to mitigate them because of the broken legs and gashes associated with too many studs-up tackles. In La Liga, there is all the drama of a career-ending violent tackle–without any actual contact. If it weren’t for the blatant diving allowed in Spain, they could claim a more interesting game. Until then, the Premier League, warts and all, is more entertaining, with more diverse playing styles and a larger world-wide following.

• Lol says:

R2Dad – I probably watch both leagues more than you do. The PL is boring as all fuck, La Liga has better technical players and is more interesting. The ‘variety’ argument is just a lazy, tabloid cop-out.

I also feel quite embarrassed for you that you resorted to the ‘more people like it!’ argument. Lots of idiots love the X Factor and Royal Wedding too – it’s called media spin and marketing, which the PL is by far the best in the world at. Even if the PL was as fantastic as you claim, popularity is no barometer whatsoever.

I don’t even think La Liga is anything great right now, it’s certainly not what it was 10 years ago, but the PL is pretty boring, let’s not kid ourselves.

Of course, you appear to be a PL fanboy, so there’s probably no point me saying all of this as you could never accept criticism of your beloved league. You’ll probably throw back some shitty arguments you read in the Daily Mail about how exciting Spurs are, despite the fact they have scored relatively few goals in the PL. There’s no getting through to the likes of you unfortunately. Total PL obsessed weirdo.

• R2Dad says:

Firstly, as a Yank I’m a neutral in all of this so am not blindly supporting any league. I like the PL but that doesn’t mean I must automatically dislike any other league (other than the MLS though they have made significant improvement just in the last year). Not sure why you’re hypothesizing about my values, but you’re sounding like my ex here! Passion does not equal obsession, necessarily….unless you’re talking about Megan Fox. And cut Spurs some slack–they haven’t really played in Euro much so this is a big deal for them.

14. Ivan says:

Let’s step back here for a second, shall we?
    Just because yesterday Schalke played like scared schoolgirls (Schalke were so bad that they made that misunderstanding Carrick look good), it doesn’t mean that Barca and Real had to do the same.
    Intensity, passion, high stakes and a negative Jose today…I enjoyed every second of the game; go ask Jose why he kept on the bench players like Kaka and Higuain…
    And Messi’s second goal was out of this world. Plus, any game which doesn’t include Ryan Shawcross automatically gets brownie points on the spot.
    Why would you go from one game and jump to a conclusion:” That’s why I love the Premier League and it is the best league in the world.” Well, you run a Prem league blog, you have your bias, and there’s no need for an article every once in a while declaring the Prem superiority over MLS, La Liga, etc.
    Barca will punish a mediocre Manure at Wembley and will cement itself as the best club team for the last 30 years or so.
    And we all remember Chelsea-Manure games in which the players made the ball cry only 20 minutes into the game…the days of 3 out of 4 semi-finalists in the Champions League being from the Prem are long gone, and are not coming back…
    Oh, and the statment “I should have watched Fulham-Bolton instead” is just laughable…Messi or Brade Haagerland….hmmm…

• Martin says:

No, you should take a step back and realize your Barca team is full of whiners who fall at the slightest tap and flounder on the ground as if they just got tasered (bro). Only to get back up revitalized similar to Hulk Hogan emerging from a chokehold. Your Barca team benefits from poor refereeing which gives them an advantage to win and stat pad with their micro passing. Yes they are a good team but don’t act like they are the second coming of Christ donning Unicef jerseys.

• vanny says:

well 4 english teams in the quarters to 2 spanish teams with the unfortunate drawing of chelsea and man u in the quarters so go figure.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

May 8th 2.05pm, I’ll be their Ivan. Looking forward to it more than I did the semi final. Don’t forget to cheer on Ryan leading the team out at Wembley the week after xxx

• Dave (dlbags) says:

I love it when La Liga fans who are ALWAYS fans of Real Madrid or Bracelona tout their league and then they will invoke Valencia or Villareal who finish 3rd 35 points behind second. What a joke.

Two teams that make and lose millions who stack their teams to dominate their league and win Europe every year in a country that’s fractured and has 22% unemployment and oddly only the teams from Madrid and Barcelona are “successful”! Amazing!

Who needs competition when it’s your team winning all the time? talk to Sporting Gijon (my grandfather’s family) fans and ask them about competitive balance huh?

Whatever.

• Lol says:

You seem to be implying that Villarreal and Valencia are crap. Funny how the former got further in the Europa League than Liverpool, Man City, and Aston Villa this season (who were put out in qualifying by the mighty Rapid Vienna). Then there’s Liverpool losing the semi to Atletico last season, Atletico who finished mid-table in Spain. Also, Spanish clubs have won the UEFA Cup/EL three times since 2006, English teams have won it zero times. Cue the predictable, cowardly, incorrect excuse of English clubs not trying in the Europa League.

I believe the likes of Spurs and City would be that far behind the clasico teams in La Liga as well, don’t kid yourself.

• brandon hudson says:

Its silly to even compare the English Premier league with La Liga. The best players and style of soccer play in La Liga. British soccer sucks. Its all long balls into the box with no build up of finesse. Looks like an American highschool game most of the time. Keep your fish and chips, warm flat beer ugly women and bad teeth, we’ll keep the best footballeers on the planet

• Sean says:

“every team in the Prem still has 3-5 players with the first touch of a rapist”

I have absolutely no idea what to make of that comment.

• MNUfan1991 says:

“As entertaning as the Prem is, every team in the Prem still has 3-5 players with the first touch of a rapist and the tackling ability of a serial murderer(Paul Scholes is a strong favorite for the worst tackller in footballing history)”

Like it’s a bad thing?
      If you want silky touch you may as well watch a quilt-making video… or WPS :)

• Brad says:

So your response to someone complaining about lack of touch is that it’s somehow effeminate to want to see the best skilled players in the world? If that’s the case why not go watch a bunch of ten year olds play?

• MNUfan1991 says:

Did I also mention our distaste for diving and playacting? Please, don’t even try to defend yesterday’s travesty.

We make our choice. Now bugger off to ladivertalk.com

• Lol says:

‘Because we here on EPLTalk (the “E” does not stand for Espana in case you’re wondering) prefer the speed and physicality of British football, over the borefest in Spain some people call La Liga.’

And THAT comment sums the wholepage up. You prefer prehistoric style and brute strength over tehcnical football. That attitude is prevalent in English football, and why you won’t win the World Cup again until you change. Or host it and play every game at Wembley, of course…

• Lol says:

‘You could have Barcelona pass the ball around and bore its audience into coma. You can also witness United’s breathtaking counterattacks that will turn from defending a corner to celebrating a goal in 10 seconds. How well do you think Barcelona can survive Chris Samba’s crunching but fair tackles?’

I missed this bit, but I cannot let you get away with it. You are so clueless on football it is unreal. One of those ‘Barca would lose to Stoke or Blackburn’ idiots. I bet you love Andy Gray. Chris Samba? Do you honestly think teams don’t target Barcelona in Spain? Did you see what Tomas Ujfalusi did to Messi earlier this season? No, of course not, as you don’t watch la Liga unless it’s El Clasico.

Then you have the audacity to call Barcelona’s football boring: counter-attacking is great to watch, but essentially you are capitalising on the other team’s weakness, the fact that they have been caught upfield with men out of position, so you have space to exploit. It’s much harder to do what barca do and play through teams and an organised defence, as the space is kless forthcoming. That has clearly went over your airhead though. Anyone who has played football (and isn’t a PL fanboy) will tell you the same thing.

That comment from yuo was humiliating. You’ve been watching football for five minutes and believe everything the English press feeds you LOL.

• Well said Ivan says:

Good comment Ivan. As if we can expect fair posting on the game on a site called ‘EPLtalk’. Some of the football played in the PL is rancid. Quite a lot of it, actually.

The PL and its fans give themselves too much praise. As they say, self-praise is no praise.

15. David G says:

I rushed home for this match and I didn’t even end up watching it all. Beyond the second Messi goal this would be first evidence used in court to show why soccer sucks.

The North London Darby games have been a lot better than all the so called classics this year.

• The Gaffer says:

I agree David. I think Barcelona and Real Madrid lost a lot of respect (and fans) Wednesday. These games need to have a different name than “El Classico” because classics they are not.

• Brad says:

Yea, I’m sure both teams will really be struggling to get their matches covered next year because of all those fans they lost.

FAO The Gaffer:

considering you are supposed to run this site, or be a moderator or something, you should be trying to set posting standards, not talking utter drivel.

No real football fan would have lost respect for the two teams because of one hate-fuelled game. Clubs in the PL do these type of things as well you know, one dive-filled game doesn’t change that.

I presume you didn’t watch the 5-0 at Camp Nou in November? Was that not a classic then eh? Barcelona played football your charlatan PL teams could only manage in their wet dreams.

• Lab Partner says:

“No real football fan would have lost respect for the two teams because of one hate-fuelled game”

You’re right. Of course no real football fan would have lost respect because of one game. They’ve been losing a little respect because of all the games where they watched a Barcelona or Madrid player roll around and contort on the ground, acting like they just lost a limb, when the reality of the replay shows there was little to no contact at all. For me, and I suspect a number of fans, this game was the last straw, not the only straw.

All this talk about Madrid’s negativity, but there’s nothing more negative than cheating, and that’s exactly what all that cry baby rolling on the ground is – cheating.

16. Shaun says:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah. We heard the same thing 2 seasons ago when Barcelona made the Final then. In fact, the backlash was much more vile than this.

I won’t defend either team for their antics today, but I just love — LOVE — how you British fans critique and venomously attack foreign teams, but when your own teams do the same thing, you turn a blind eye.

The blatant British hypocrisy is infuriating and far worse than anything either Barcelona or Madrid did today. It’s never your own fault when you don’t win and when you do win, you never show one ounce of humility. Disgusting.

At this point, I don’t care which Spanish team makes the Final. United are doomed. 6-0 to either Spanish giant. Guaranteed.

• Ethiene says:

I am an american EPL fan, and tried to watch this game today and it was a disgrace. I really wish we started calling dives “flops” like in the NBA because it sounds way worse. This was a pathetic display of football. The flopping was ridiculous and that would not fly in the EPL. RM or Barca will not beat anyone 6-0 in the final. If we get a confident REF all the pussy flopping around will not fly either. Clenching your face when it was not hit is pathetic. That is why spanish football is terrible to watch. It reminds me of the NBA. Whistles every 3 seconds. I really hope united beats your precious Barcelona. but more than that, I hope the flopping is properly dealt with. F**king Millionaire p**sies.

• Dan says:

lol you’ve got to be joking me….6-nil. Give your head a shake and make a sensible post when you become a real supporter of football.

• The Gaffer says:

Shaun, just for the record, when Chelsea played Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final in 2009 and lost to that Iniesta goal, I criticized the Blues for a very negative and ugly performance.

• El Tri 2014 says:

Seriously? You think last night’s game was decent? It was the WORST game so far in the CL. It was pathetic. Like it or not, you can give examples of 2, 3 or 5 years ago but this topic is about LAST NIGHT’S GAME and sucked it big time and mostly due to Barca’s whining and baiting the ref. It was the WORST behavior from a top team this WHOLE freaking year. Barca lost a lot of fans around the world with its awful display.

• Lol says:

Very good post Shaun. The PR spin and idiotic influence of the parasitic British press is far more infuriating than what went on in the pitch in the Bernabeu the other night. That is an important point.

The English are the worst type of football ‘fans’: classless as you say, in victory and defeat. I know a few decent English fans and they tell me the majority of English football fans make them feel embarrassed.

This is coming from a Brit who supports a British team. Britain and particularly England is appalling in football terms. To give one example, remember that clueless headline in a newspaper a few years ago (‘The best players in the world, and Xavi’)?

Disgusting. I really hope Barcelona humiliate United in the Final. Again.

17. Ryan says:

*Neither a RM or Barca fan.

Real had a decent tactic. Play physical and settle for 0-0, which would have forced Barca to win the return leg. Unfortunately it didn’t work out and now both of the ties are effectively over.

What I feel bad about is that this game was pretty hyped up, broadcast on FX, and all the non-soccer fans who were tuning in thinking that maybe X-Men 2 would be on, are now left with vindication for hating soccer. I had some friends that I am trying to convert over to watch the match and everyone one of them said the same thing.

“Oh look, its another gay ass foreigner rolling around on the ground again”
    “Is his leg broken? Or did he just get hit in the vagina?”
    “Nothing a little magic sponge won’t fix”

Just a bad spectacle all around. American’s aren’t going to convert if this is what is put in front of them as the best. I pray Barca doesn’t pull this shit in the final.

But I do think that Jose is on to something. Barca are always involved in these highly contentious matches. The Chelsea game and the Van Persie card, were ridiculous .

• Sean says:

I agree with you Ryan. I had no problems with the way Jose set out his side.

Do people want eye pleasing football or trophies?

Moreover, different types of football please different types of people.

Yes, I love open football but I also like seeing tactical battles. Football does not have to be especially pleasing on the eyes for it to be satisfying for me to watch.

That being said, the rest of the stuff that came along with this game (eg. diving, play acting, etc.) was certainly not a great endorsement for the game of football.

18. Safado says:

Not to mention you English suck up to the royal family, the same family that screwed over your anscestors time and time again….It’s so funny how you have things backasswards….I’m actually quite surprised your people never stormed the castle…..Enjoy the wedding, you pansies!

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Bring back Franco! I’m stunned by your ability to debate, put your toys back in the pram. Histrionics must be a staple of latin football, players and fans seem to display this. Arsenal would do well to get a move to La Liga based on this evidence. Wenger and the occupants of the emirates library would fit in well.

• R2Dad says:

Ur killing the tubes in the interwebs every time you post. So please stop.

• lol says:

Yeah, that is another embarrassment for the English, and indicative of how they buy into media spin. The PL and Royal Family are propagandised to hell and back and the clueless English cretins lap it up. When in fact, both English football and their appalling royal family are an insult.

Hope the rain pours for Prince Horseface and his slapper.

19. MG says:

Yet another match that Barcelona has to rely on a red card to win.. This was despicable football, especially at the start of the second half until the ridiculous red. Despicable isn’t even the word. What a shallow victory.

Messi’s second goal was, however (it must be said), spectacular.. haha.

20. JC says:

Messi is amazing and it was obvious in tonight’s match. Anyone who denies it can’t be taken seriously.

What was just as obvious was how Barca once again got themselves a win on the back of a suspicious call. Yet Again! What a shame, I remember when they used to win with skill.

• tonyspeed says:

messi is amazing against kid league teams and with a man or more advantage. i hope they add that as an adendum to his history so no jack-a… try to say years later he was better than maradonna or pele.

21. Dave (dlbags) says:

Remember how stunned Barca were at Emerites after dominating the game etc to lose after to two big goals to Arsenal? Then next game they won after a man got sent off.

Saturday they lose the Copa Del Rey and are stunned with a late goal. They come out this game with every intention of drawing fouls and trying to get players sent off. And surprise it works and they win! And before the Pepe tackle and stretchering off of the mortally wounded Alves they tried to get Ramos carded knowing full well he had a yellow. Barca are always aware who has the yellow and they go after them.

And now we talk about how amazing Messi is against 10 men.

I’m no Real Madrid fan by ANY stretch, you’d have to know my ancestry to know, but wow, I found myself sympathizing with them after this disgraceful display by Barca. It’s so vile. they could have just played football and waited for a break instead of this non stop trying to draw penalties.

The worst part of it all is FSC put it on FX and had people wasting DVR space for this awful display. This was a game to draw in more Americans and get them to tune into the CL finals. Barca and RM wasted an opportunity to be ambassadors of club football in Europe and instead embarrassed themselves and the sport.

I watched the Fulham game afterwards and found myself far more entertained. Clint Dempsey had a far better day than Messi and his 2 goals were for more sublime (especially his first) if you ask me.

• June Bug says:

You obviously have no clue what you’re talking about. I’ll give you Dempsey’s goal as sicker than sick, but don’t tell me that Messi’s second goal wasn’t amazing. Passing 5 defenders? That doesn’t take skill? I don’t care if they had 10 guys on the pitch. That’s Madrids fault. They started the diving with Di Maria. Why don’t you look at the reckless challenges and how Mourinho turned the game dirty. Barcelona don’t need to play against 10 men to win. I believe they kicked Madrid’s ass end of last year 5-0.

The diving is a reaction to the harsh play by Madrid. Why don’t you watch Barcelona’s other games and then make a judgment.

Why don’t you go back to that Barcelona Madrid 5-0 game and see how Carvalho had a hand ball should have gotten red but only got yellow. Or how Arbeloa kneed Messi in the back of the head but got no call.

Instead of blaming the ref or Barcelona blame Mourinho. He knows he plays dirty and that he might get a red. That’s why he proactively attacked UEFA because he knew there was a chance they’d get the red. It was only a matter of time.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

If the guys Messi is running past are on Yellow, a man down and not wanting to get sent off they are probably giving him more space than he should have, get it? Watch the goal, the RM players seem more occupied with not fouling him. Also the one you speak of was int he dying minutes of the game. Dempsey’s were not.

I like Messi, I really do but I think anyone, not just Messi who scores goals with a man advantage shouldn’t get the same praise same as when 11 on 11.

22. sami says:

bad game, garbege with capital G. I hate watching football. I hate Gardiola and his team. rubbish

23. redskin says:

Safado
    what the bleeding hell has the royal family got to do whith that
    piss-poor excuse for a game of football i saw last night.
    it was a bloody disgrace.
    if thats what you call football i pity you.

24. Football says:

Negativity is to be expected in wars like this one between two lifetime rivals. The referee hasn’t taken the best decisions and players simply forgot about fair-play. But I expected Mourinho to react like a champion, according to his reputation. Instead he accused the referee’s decisions, made bitter and cynical comments and Barcelona’s officials will take legal action against him.

25. While the tactics used by both teams (play acting, 11 men behind the ball etc.) may have been negative, it was a fascinating game to watch. I do agree that it was terribly anti-football, and it’s a shame that with so much attacking talent at his disposal, Mourinho decided to play the game, when at home, so negatively.

Stopping Barca from playing is one part of the battle. So if you stop them, but can’t score yourself, what is the point? I understand what he’s doing, because when you actually PLAY Barcelona, you will be wiped aside. I always wanted Barca to win, especially because they have the best chance of beating United. Now Madrid are forced to come out and attack in the second leg, so hopefully there will be a better game ahead.

• Sean says:

This has absolutely nothing to do with your comment but, thumbs up for being a fellow Liverpool supporter.

• R2Dad says:

Everyone who plays Barca plan to absorb their attack in the first half. At 45-60 mins, they switch to a more attacking side because Barca start to tire. As long as Barca are held scoreless until the 70th minute, the counterattacking side has the chance to beat them. Teams generally won’t try to out-possess Barca (with the exception of Arsenal), and if they do they still can’t sustain it over the course of a tie. MU will not park the bus per se but will counter as quickly as they can–it’s the only way they can beat Barca. Look for RM to continue to play a very defensive match, countering when they can.

26. tonyspeed says:

This shows that Barcelona wins not only because they play good football. When they are frustrated they cheat and harangue the ref like no other team.

• Clampdown says:

yeah, Chelsea and United never do that.

• tonyspeed says:

No. Since ronaldo left, we have rid ourselves of the spanish influenza. Nani is in rehabilitation.

• lol says:

What about Rooney’s dive at the COMS last season, when he looked to see if the Man City player was booked, and then he got up?

Virtually nothing said in the English press, because it’s the almighty Shrek, if that was Barcelona we’d never hear the end of it.

The rest of the footballing world is sick of English football’s double standards.

27. MNUfan1991 says:

When Spaniards acted like real men, they conquered half the world and dished out genocide like there’s no tomorrow.
    When Spaniards flop around like fish out of water, they are nothing but a bunch of PIIGS.
    Coincidence? Think not.

28. El Tri 2014 says:

Wow – I would have never thought of calling a RM v. Barca game disgusting but I just did. I happen to be a fan of PL and La Liga, both of which are very different in style (I won’t get into it). But watching Barca last night, the diving, phantom fouls, and surrounding the ref for every bump in the game was awful to watch. Next leg, CL needs a ref that whips out the yellow from the very first foul to the very first complaint and if you have to play 5 on 5 then so be it. Throw out the whiners and babies and leave the last players on the pitch willing to play the game correctly.

Oh and who gives a sh*t if Messi scored twice – it was against a 10 men team on a bogus red card that was undeserved.

29. stevie says:

this post is bullsh*t!!you can never ever compare the la liga to premier league. Gaffer you are just hating buddy!!I dare a team to make as much passes in a game as Barca!!!name me one….I’ll be waiting!1..urmmm..there’s none!!

• Brad says:

I know Steve. 2014 seems like a long way away, but don’t worry. When it arrives we’ll get the same show all over again – the big “stars” from the EPL will be done after two weeks, while the real stars of La Liga and the Bundesliga will be vying for the World Cup.

• The Gaffer says:

Holland and Spain in the last World Cup Final had plenty of Premier League players on the pitch.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

Gaffer, you see the video from Real Madrid’s site? I think that warrants a whole post! Wow!

• The Gaffer says:

Thanks for sharing it Dave. I just watched the clip you sent. Looks like Pepe didn’t make contact with Alves, but I would like to see a different angle before drawing a conclusion. That said, I thought the referee awarding Pepe a red card was a joke.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

Gaffer here’s a question and possible blog post: Can this sort of us against them that you have with the two teams which more from Spain being a country of a few countries (half my ancestry is from Basque and Gijon) happen int he EPL with the two Welsh teams possibly coming up? I personally think with Swansea and Cardiff’s stadium size and populations that once they get the EPL money they can infuse more talent and stay up. And with that comes the England vs Wales we saw when the two teams played and the Welsh booed the anthem.

I mean even the Madrid and Barcelona papers are ridiculous with their biases.

I’d hate to see this happen in the EPL. How would you think the Welsh teams would play out if they are in the EPL?

• The Gaffer says:

Cardiff and Swansea would fit in nicely to the Premier League. Both clubs have modern grounds. And while the Welsh hate the English and vice-versa, I don’t see any issues arising. I don’t think either one of them could stay in the top flight for long though. Cardiff are terribly in debt. And Swansea are one of the few clubs out there who are making money, which is a bad business model for the Premier League because they wouldn’t splash the cash on much-needed new players to help them stay up.

30. pete says:

This game was a disgrace to football, players diving around, play-acting, going down holding their face. Sergio is a complete pussy, he spends more time on his arse than he does on his feet. Players crowding the ref trying to get other players carded
    I will never watch Spanish football again, utter disgrace to the game.

31. Brad says:

Bravo, Gaffer. Stereotype the style of an entire league based on one game between bitter rivals. Hey, where was your article about how no one ever scores in the premier league after Manchester United drew with Manchester City 0-0 earlier this season? I feel sorry for anyone paying for this site’s “premium” content if this is what counts as epltalk quality.

• tonyspeed says:

Not an entire league. It’s biggest teams. If the biggest teams of a league stoop to such lows, what is there to watch? Maybe we should all root for Osasuna…. I don’t remember this much rediculousness when Chelsea played Man Utd a few weeks ago. As a matter of fact, I don’t remember this much rubbish watching Liverpool playing Man Utd either.

The fault lies squarely with Barcelona and to a lesser extent Real Madrid.

• Brad says:

Are you actually trying to insinuate that EPL teams and players never stooped to lows? How about Nani jumping up and crying like his leg was sawed on the Carragher tackle off only to come back less than two weeks later? It’s funny how the Gaffer wrote an article in complete hysterics after that about how BRUTAL the injury was (oh no! a surface cut on his shin! call the morgue!!). I understand liking the EPL, but do we really need to be complete homers who turn a blind eye to the BS in our own league to insult others?

• Brad says:

Are you actually trying to insinuate that EPL teams and players never stooped to lows? How about Nani jumping up and crying like his leg was sawed off on the Carragher tackle only to come back less than two weeks later? It’s funny how the Gaffer wrote an article in complete hysterics after that about how BRUTAL the injury was (oh no! a surface cut on his shin! call the morgue!!). I understand liking the EPL, but do we really need to be complete homers who turn a blind eye to the BS in our own league to insult others?

• El Tri 2014 says:

The Carragher tackle on Nani was a red card offense – no where near the ball, studs up and right below the knee. The foul is on Carragher not Nani. At the most for Pepe, it was probably a foul, but he had his studs down and was at the ball – no where near a red card.

• Trevor says:

Brad, the difference between the Carragher tackle on Nani and the Pepe tackle on Alves is that, as you said, Nani was back less than 2 weeks later, while Alves was back LESS THAN 2 MINUTES LATER…after being stretchered off the pitch no less!!!

32. pete says:

Disgrace to the game, never again will I watch spanish football

• Brad says:

Good. Go spend your time watching those inbred imbeciles you call “royalty” throw a wedding.

• R2Dad says:

Wait wait. Spain have royals too. And I believe they are equally inbred. In fact, all Euro royals are inbred! But I’m not much for parades, so will have to skip it. So, why are we talking about royalty on a footy site?

• Lol says:

Now mocking the royals. You’re my type of guy, Brad. Some sense in amongst all these hypocrites. This site is astonishingly poor, do people actually pay for premium content?

33. pete says:

Fergie will be all over this, he will be on every camera talking about how Barca players dive, fake injure, play-act and surround the ref’s. Barca will get next to nothing in the final which should make for an interesting match, let’s see if barca can beat a good team when they are not playing 10 men

• june bug says:

I believe Barcelona beat an even stronger Man United side in the Finals 2 years ago, so we don’t need the refs. Plus, Fergie isn’t Mourinho. He’s actually got some respect for the game and won’t try to foul the crap out of Barcelona. Instead he will try to impose his game on them. However, Barca will win another and be known as the greatest footballing side ever! No one plays as beautiful as Barca.

• R2Dad says:

Everyone acknowledges the beauty of Barca play, but their poor sportsmanship has taken a big bite out of the goodwill they have accumulated over the past few years. Flopping to win is not winning, especially for a team that has so much talent. If Barca was better at respecting teams even when they lose, they would not be viewed as the poor sportsmen they are now.

34. June Bug says:

First, diving is pathetic and should be done away with. It’s the same thing when Kobe flails his arms up into the air to draw the foul. Second, the reason why Barcelona (Pedro/Alves) makes a lot out of the fouls is they are sick of this brutality on their players. Mourinho learned yesterday that you have to play FUTBOL not FOOTBALL. His method same as last year was to try and hack down a player everytime they got the ball. The dive fest started after Di Maria dove to draw the foul. Also, don’t try and put this on Barcelona because it’s obvious that Real Madrid are maliciously attacking them. Marcelo stepping on Pedro’s leg and much much more.

That red card was well deserved. Studs up no regard for the ball, and he sent Dani Alves flying. I’ll agree, they need to stop crowding the ref, but the refs need to start calling fouls. Mourinho is pathetic and plays ugly futbol and therefore deserves to lose.

35. Andrei says:

I will try to stay away from generalizations about La Liga and moral values of the Spanish teams. Here are some of my observations:

1. You rarely see positive free flowing football in the games with long term rivals involved. Barca vs RM classicos are not unique in this regard. For example, recent United vs Chelsea or United vs City encounters were all about grit and intensity and a lot of negative tactics were also present there.

2. Barca’s style is inherently negative as it is based on preventing the opponent from playing by keeping the ball from them. It also means waiting patiently for a perfect opportunity without taking any risks. It requires amazing individual and team skill to pull it off but it is still negative.

3. “Diving and play acting” is a natural complement to their style. Don’t take it as an attempt to brand them as “cheats” or pass the judgement on their morality. These antics are simply required for them to succeed. If the opposing team is successful in disrupting Barca’s passing game they don’t have an answer. They don’t have a plan B. So their play the system and the referee to get back to plan A. And the recent experience shows that they typically get what they need. It is simply not a level ground when playing against Barca.

4. Imagine if Mourinho decides to replicate Barca’s style when playing against them. It will take some time but RM have enough quality in the squad to get it done. Is it your idea of positive football with two team spending 100% of the time trying to out-pass, out possess each other without attempt on the goal?

5. @Gaffer “And hopefully we’ll see two teams in the final who have respect for each other and who will focus on playing the game the way it was meant to be played: Manchester United against Barcelona”. Do you really believe that SAF or Pep would care to play the CL final “the way it was meant to be played” instead of winning it using all means available to them? And if you do what is your practical suggestion for United on how to prevent Barca from out passing and out possessing them to death?

36. Jesse says:

Mourinho is a good coach despite of the fact that Barcelona won the match

37. Jesse says:

congratulation Mourinho with your team you did the best even though the Barcelona won the match.You showed that you real know football

38. Dave (dlbags) says:

Diving happens all the time but you notice where those players come from. In recent weeks one was Nani the other Lucas had 2 key dives against Arsenal with the last one where he ran into Eboue’s path, put his right arm out (which the ref couldn’t see) slowed and went down as soon as he felt Eboue behind him with said hand. And the ball was no where even near enough!

Lucas then gets up with a fist pump like he scored a goal knowing full well he drew a penalty shot and gave his team a point. It was one of the sadder moments that most glossed over because of the outrage and camera focus on Eboue. Only Brazilians pump their fists after a successful dive!

So as much as we are ragging the Spaniards lets remember Italians and Brazilians do it just as much if not far worse. And if FIFA refs are going to keep getting conned how long until English play finally succumbs to it and makes it part of the “gamesmanship” as people like to politely put it?

• Brad says:

You’re right Dave. Those darkies sure do like to shuck and jive. Us good old pale Englishmen ought to do something about it, right after we take care of those pesky money-grubbing Jews!

• Dave (dlbags) says:

Are you stupid or something? We’re talking about soccer culture. And within those cultures drawing fouls, diving and overselling fouls to get players booked is part of it. Spain, Italy and Brazil are hardly “Darkie” countries.

Stop trying to troll the comments.

• Brad says:

Within “those” cultures? Oh, do you mean within cultures that produce the best football players in the world on both the club and international level generation after generation?

• Dave (dlbags) says:

That play in systems and leagues that reward them for their style of play? Sure. Ar eyou getting my point yet or are you too stupid. hence my point that at some point Fifa will either have to regulate it or the others cultures like England will have to adapt.

See (I will explain it to you real simple) if most of the world now plays and accepts a method as a standard then it does English football no good to hold on it and not be able to compete. Hence me saying Man U has no chance as most European refs don’t allow as much physical play and tend to get conned more.

America plays physical too and we’re the most racially diverse btw so this isn’t about race.

So the point is either the game has to change or the EPL will to compete. Get it?

• Brad says:

Apparently the English are even dumber than you if we’re here in 2011 and they still haven’t figured out that refereeing is different in Europe than it is in their league. Intelligent people adapt to new circumstances. Half-wits rant and rave and bash their heads against a wall that’s been there for quite some time, in addition to ending questions about the stupidity of others without a question mark.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

Sure, only a half-wit would forget a question mark. And only a moron would use a run on sentence to point it out.

You clearly won this exchange.

• Brad says:

Honey, I’m an English teacher. I’d give you a lesson on run-on sentences, but I think you’re probably too busy trolling the internet for photos of those damn foreign players cheating.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

A run on sentence is when two complete different ideas are in one sentence. Half-wits rant and rave Then you mention half-wits use poor grammar using the same sentence. ergo a run on sentence.

But I’m sure it was a mistake and nothing to do with your abilities as a teacher.

• Brad says:

There’s this thing called a comma. Now, this piece of punctuation has magical powers, one of which is to join separate clauses to form one whole, i.e. a SENTENCE. Observe:

You’re an idiot. You know less about the English language than you do about soccer.

You’re an idiot, and you know less about the English language than you do about soccer.

These are both correct! By replacing a period with a comma and adding the conjunction “and”, you join two separate ideas into one happy sentence.

Would you like to learn about capital letters next?

• Dave (dlbags) says:

I’m going to assume you teach lower grade levels that don’t deal with run-on sentences or comma splices.

Anyway the problem isn’t your punctuation or grammar but your comprehension skills. You can’t differentiate between what you perceive as a superior form of football with what’s really an exploitive form by it’s own rules.

Let me use a non-soccer example: When Reebok used child labor it was clearly from a financial standpoint superior, but exploitive. Other companies would have joined in this practice to compete (as I suggest English football should by changing) but rules about selling products that use child labor were changed.

What diving and drawing fouls does is exploitive of the existing rules that aren’t being enforced properly because FIFA is still in the 19th century. Read the rules. You are basically rewarding those that exploit as opposed to those that play the game the “right” way.

You can still be physical and beautiful but some teams like Barca did last night choose to first slant the playing field by exploiting the system.

If you add instant replay, more refs (more angles, more accurate foul calls) on the field, goal line technology; basically modernize the game the way most of the other sports leagues are in the US then all of this nonsense ends tomorrow and we’re not talking about this crap but the actual game. I can’t see how anyone who doesn’t love the sport wouldn’t want that.

We could stop rewarding players for basically exploiting a flawed system and getting away with cheating. Imagine that?

• LOL says:

You schooled Dave. Funny to see him casting asperions on other people’s intelligence, considering the hysterical xenophobia he has displayed.

• R2Dad says:

hey you two, hate to interrupt the handbags, but you’ve both forgotten to answer the question. How do we prevent such lame flopping in the CL? TECHNOLOGY. Put instant replay in the hands of the 4th official and that Pepe “foul” doesn’t end the game. No one gets sent off, unless it’s the diver.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

I just did but the site seems to have eaten it.

• warren says:

Of course… technology. “While this is being reviewed for the next couple of minutes, we’ll make some more money by throwing a bunch of ads at you.”

There are several reasons why American team sports haven’t dominated the world despite their organisations’ best efforts. Timeout/ad infestation is one of them. You’ll be asking for a half-time show featuring the Black Eyed Peas next..

• R2Dad says:

The football world would only allow something that would appear after the whistle, unless it was a goal line call. No one is proposing tv breaks, any more than tv breaks are common during pauses in the action due to injury. The clock is always running. The Black Eyed Peas would have to wait for the final whistle to come out…

39. Brad says:

Ah the English. Jealous of Spanish weather. Jealous of Spanish culture. Jealous of Spanish food. Jealous of Spanish women. Jealous of Spanish football.

• pete says:

Probably agree on the weather but not the rest.

Spanish culture, what culture?
      spanish food, do me a favour, only if i want food poisoning
      spanish women – with their hairy armpits
      Spanish football- yes, play-acting diving, cheating, crowding the ref and a two horse race league when 3rd is 20 points behind, great.

• Brad says:

Yes, thank God we have such a tussle for first place in the EPL with a month remaining.

Now get me a rotten meat pie and a pale toothless English gal!

• pete says:

Gal? wtf is a gal? Do you mean girl? I’d expect an English teacher not to butcher the language. Try going to England sometime and checking out the women, or maybe just check out some of the English women in Hollywood, I think most have their own teeth.

• Pete is clueless says:

Pete, you are totally clueless on football, as well as culture on women. Stop posting please, your little-Englander comments are pathetic.

I don’t expect you will reply quickly – you have a wedding to prepare for, after all. Zzzzzz.

40. Gary says:

Brad, you’re a d**k.
    That match was terrible. Remember? The match? You might have forgotten it with all the anti-epl rants, English lessons, jabs at English culture and general douchebaggery that you’ve managed to perpetrate in such a short span of time.

Some things I’ve learned about Brad:
    You’re an Anglophobe and you like fancy keep-away football and don’t mind a little cheating sprinkled on top. You’re an english teacher and you really, really like Spain. Not just the football either, the women, the wine, the weather.. You love it all! The food too, I forgot the food.
    Why are you sharing so much of yourself and so obnoxiously in a blog comment thread?
    Different strokes for different folks and don’t be a d**k about it. Sound advice for you, friend-o.

• Lol says:

You on the other hand have just performed internet character assassination, Gary. Which makes you infinitely worse than Brad. And to be fair, Brad is correct on almost everything. England does have an inferiority complex towards Spain. Those diving little European and World Champions, whose best club team regularly makes the best England has to offer look like pub teams.

Also, what sort of tool uses the term ‘douchebaggery’? Lol.

• Dave (dlbags) says:

Naturally nothing will come of this much like the photos of Alves choking Van Persie or Rooney elbowing that bloke. Why? Because FIFA care more about their arcane ego driven judge and jury one ref system. They rather ban snoods for no particular reason than dole out fines or suspensions for things refs missed plus that also in turn would dent the large egos of the FIFA refs and make them less known or important like refs in other sports. And we can’t have that!

41. mo says:

biased article, no woner its from england, win world cup first and than talk, until then good bye

• The Gaffer says:

Mo, it’s not from England. It’s from the United States.

• warren says:

“win world cup first and than talk, until then good bye”

So let’s talk then…. or do you mean “win world cup again”?*

*yes, it was 66, but a win’s a win!!

• Lol says:

And it will be your last win ever if you don’t sort out your prehistoric footballing culture. Technique and intelligence is missing in the English game, replaced by power, pace and ‘getting stuck in’.

42. jesus says:

Mugrinho’s defensive, refuse to attack,sacrifice talented players to exhaust themselves tactics did not work for him this time. Barcelona were not forced to attack which is why they kept most possesion on their turf (about midfield mostly) where Real Madrid where at Home where they needed an goal advantage to play second leg semifinal at nou camp. Maybe next year Mugrinho.

43. Alwezl8 Fine69 says:

The game of soccer is an act and Barcelona have mastered the act of futbol. They play total soccer and whenever a talented team possesses the ball 70% of the time, there is going to be players fouling and bullying to get the ball back. It is easy to complain about diving players but to be honest both teams are guilty of diving and there is no way I condole diving but it is slowly becoming part of soccer at the highest level.

It’s sad to see that the most expensive team in the world can only keep the ball 30% of the time but yet everyone complains about Barcelona playing keep away. It is easier to play keep away when you have the skilled players that are technically good on the ball when the other team cannot even put 5 passes together. Real showed that they were afraid of Barcelona by playing with 1 striker and 10 players behind the ball in their own ground. Bad tactics when you know that you have to go to Nou Camp for the second leg.
    The gave Barcelona the game by staying back and relying on the counter attack. Barcelona pooped on Real Madrid in the own home and didn’t even flush and left them complaining and blaming everyone else for their loss. We know that Barcelona alway play keep away for as long as they can penetrate and that is their trademark, why don’t Madrid take the chance and press them and rattle their ball movement to see if they can keep the ball that long rather than sit back and wait for the rare turnover.

The bottom line is this. Bad example of soccer from both teams but I still give Barcelona credit for trying to play the beautiful game. I get tired of hearing teams blame refs every time they lose a game. The 2 goals were brilliant and remember a couple of months ago when Real lost at Camp Nou 5-0, they had excuses. I did not hear Barcelona complain last week when they lost in Copa Del Rey. Now go figure who the cry baby is !!!!!

• Chuka says:

EXCUSES are different from complaints.Barcelona complained and that was about the off side goal hence Mourinho said it was wrong for Pep to insinuate the referee should have allowed the goal to stand when it was rightly called off side. I dont understand when people say Barca plays total soccer;kicking the ball in your half is not attacking the opponent.Barca passes the ball but RM plays the ball. Compare Brazil Samba and the Argentine style during the Maradona era. Brazil played beuatifu footbal but Argentines would beat them.There is nothing like negative football.What about the Ovrebo chelsea issue, were Chelsea defensive as well??????EUFA have something in their cupboard to explain because it happens more in the knock out stages of the champions league every year

44. Chuka says:

Its high time EUFA addressed this seemingly conspiracy.Can it be coincidence that their accliamed best team in the world requires an opponent to be one man down before they can win? Check Chelsea V Barca, Barca V Arsenal, Barca V Inter and each of those cases look very suspicious.In all this things nothing is done by EUFA at all.Its a shame and you will see they will punish Mourinho withou doing anything to the actors or Barca to further show there may be something somewhere.Anyone talking negative footbal is just being narrow minded.Barca have their style, the opponents duty is to counter that style and not to dance to it.If Barca style is the best, how come they need a player sent off to win?

• Lol says:

‘Barcelona were already over Arsenal by that point.’

That should read ‘Barcelona were already outplaying Arsenal by that point’. Sorry for the error, I am a busy guy in internet terms, trying to multi-task. You’re still a fool, though.

45. MNUfan1991 says:

“Lol April 29, 2011 at 12:23 am

If you respond and I in turn don’t reply to you, don’t delude yourself into thinking I had no response to your drivel: I will probably just be sick of arguing with idiots like yourself.”

You, my friend, have serious issues of self-aggrandizement. I recommend professional psychiatric help.

46. Nathan says:

Wow what a bunch of sour EPL fans on this fourm its clear to see the intense jealousy many of you hold towards Barcelona & Spain. I’ll be the first to admit that the game was pretty bad. But most you narrow-minded EPL worshiping fans really don’t understand the extremely complex & intense rilvary and not too mention bad-blood that exists between these 2 teams it transcends far more than just mere sport there are social,political,cultural issues, and add Mourinho to that mix and things were never going to be pretty! Any rivalry you might have in the EPL that you gloat so much about can never possibly hope to compare. Case in point while the EPL may be the the worlds most viewed/best-marketed league, the Spainsh derby/classico is the worlds most broadly televised,watched,marketed, and anticiapted sports match of any calender year. Simply put it dwarfs everything else in comparison, the Super bowl is a joke & not even the Champions League Final can claim to draw in more viewers only the World Cup Final garners a larger TV audience. People simply tune in to watch because of bad-blood that exists between the 2 clubs it matters not that the Barcelona-Madrid games rarely live up to their Classico billing.

That being said i’m not going to completely defend what transpired on Wenesday as it was mostly awful and a very poor advert for Football but if you want to complain about negative soccer then the blame lies soley on Jose Mourinho for his prior shenanigans and pre match comments plus the extremely negative way he setup his Real Madrid team did not help contribute to a spectacle.
    This Madrid team is the most ridcuolusly expensive football team ever assembled in the history of the game with over 500 million euros worth of talent. But yet they sit back and defend with 11 players acting like a bunch of scared school girls afraid to even come out of they’re own half in a must-win Champions League semi-final and at the Bernabeu no-less, how can you possibly defend Mourinho’s tactics when he’s coaching the home-team in such an important game and yet they do not even try to go out and win the game in front of they’re own fans its simply inexcusable. You sure as hell can’t score goals by sitting back and not even attempting to cross the half-way line because of thier own fear. This is supposed to be Real Madrid they aren’t the unknown pretend-to-be a big club Chelsea who had never won anything of merit till Jose showed up, much less the catenaccio loving Inter-Milan who’ve always lived in the shadows of their neighbors AC Milan. Madrid have always been a club that have appreciated extravagant attacking football yet they displayed none of it on Wenesday night, if anyone took a hit to they’re image it was Madrid as they were sullied by Mourinho’s negativity & post-match theatrics of playing the victim!

Fair play to Barcelona they were the team that played like they actually wanted to win sure they’re theatrics might have been annoying at times(but Madrid’s were just as bad) but it was all due to Mourinho’s provactions he wanted to play dirty & Barcelona simply stooped to his level! The red card was a just one as well. A knee high challenge with studs showing while he had no business making such a foolish challenge deep in Barcelona’s own-half (everyone knows Pepe’s a nutjob & he must have run some 30 meters just to make that stupid tackle!) the bad intent was there and if it had gone the other way Madrid would have reacted the same way or have we forgotten the way Marcelo clebrated like a giddy little school girl when he got Peter Crouch sent-off during they’re game with Spurs.
    Its Mourinho who started this war ever since his arrival in Spain with his antics and ever constant complaints, make no mistake about it Madrid & Mourinho got they’re just desserts on Wenesday night!

47. IssO Barca says:

To Man U Supporters,
    Respect Barca, Or Reds Will Endup With The Situation As RM.

• MNUfan1991 says:

We respect them alright. No one here is doubting their technical ability. Some La Liga fans are all up in arms because they cannot fathom people preferring EPL over their beloved league.

I just hope the referees clamp down on the diving and playacting. We have our Nani but the CL match is like (Nani + Stevie G + the Drogba of yore) x 100. We prefer a fair but physical game and cannot stand seeing grown men rolling on the floor with little or no contact. A few yellow cards should set the players straight. Great teams like United and Barcelona need not stoop that low.

48. Harry says:

Gaffer, why did you post your comment about Swansea and Cardiff here? Seems out of place.

Barcelona, while they can be a joy to watch, showed their ugly side with their play-acting time and time again. How players who kept holding their face when the opposition never touched them anywhere near the upper body is beyond me. What amazes me is that in the CL there are now two more officials from the normal 4 and surely they should be able to help identify simulation. FIFA needs to look at the tape of games and when players have deliberately deceived a referee and got away with it should give out cards or suspensions. There is no reason why that shouldn’t be done. It would discourage the type of ugliness we saw on Wednesday. Both sets of players were guilty.

49. henry says:

why don’t the author restricted his world of soccer to EPL only and shut his mouth for the rest of the league around the world… did he really know how to play soccer

• The Gaffer says:

Henry, you sound a little bit defensive, don’t you? It’s my blog and I can write about anything I like. While the game was between two Spanish clubs, it has significant relevance on English football because the winner will most probably play Manchester United.

50. sulkyj says:

EPL? you mean the league that plays kick and chase? Man U is better than most, but they benefit TREMENDOUSLY from the refs whistle in the majority of their games, especially when they are behind. I know this is an EPL site, but come on! Further, Pepe’s intent was to hurt, that is clear. Replay shows he wasn’t even close to the ball, and he never tried to straighten his foot. If Alves hadn’t held back and instead tried to clear, Pepe could have easily broken bones, that’s why it was a red. Adabayor’s shoving, Marcelo’s stomp on Pedro (you could see the stud imprint), all systematic dirty play. If any of this occurred in a match against an EPL side, you all would feel the same.

• R2Dad says:

Intent was basically written out of FIFA Laws Of The Game 15 years ago precisely because intent is impossible to determine. So, a high boot with no contact is never a straight red unless it is accompanied by artifice. However, new wording has been added to address simulation, though some referees/FAs conveniently ignore that.

51. dont talk a lot says:

52. dont talk a lot says:

in Premier League you dont see fights like this match ????? in Premier League everytime and every year any 2 big teams face each other there must be a fight!!! not mentioning the other matches !!!! Premier League is nothing more than a fighting League. in Premier League the winner team is the team which makes more injuries to the other team players.dont forget these fact!!! so dont say Premier League is better to watch than spanish leage bcs of this match

53. Ethiene says:

Please know English if you are going to attempt to write it. Plus your argument is not based on anything…

Eat a penis sir.

54. Jason says:

I know everyone is talking about the PEPE red card.. but no one talks about the BLATANT chuck he gave dani alves 10 minutes earlier that deserved a yellow in the first place . #thatisall

55. arti says:

barcelona 3 1 man utd champions lig 28 may wembley kome pordh ne shish manqesteri me fergusonin

56. bushi says:

mesiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii 2 gols pedro 1 gols barcelona fc 3-1 man utd

57. boos says:

wembley 28 05 2011 champion lig barcelona catalunia finalist copa champions barcelona 3-1 man utd

58. boos says:

trajneri 1 pepgardiola mai miri ne bot ***** fc barcelona ***** mesiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii vilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa pedrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo xaviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii inestaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa busceccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc pyolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll piceccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc abidalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll alvesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss fc bacelona ***** 3 1 man utd **** champions lig wembley 28 05 2011 fotball 90 mins viva barcelona viva catalunia fantastic fotball gol 2 mesiii 1 pedro golllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*****

59. caranca says:

wembley 28 05 2011 time 20-45 fc barcelona 3 1 man utd

60. xavi says:

la ligaa campion barcelona**************************************************

61. delpiero says:

mesi legend futball histori e barcelones 2 gols mesi wembley 1 pedro 4 copa champions lig fc***** barcelona*****

62. toni says:

barcelona 3 1 man utd kome pordh ne shish fergosoni me djat e kuq

63. bllaca says:

barcelona campion la ligaa 21 copa champions evrapa 4 copa wembley 28 05 2011 barcelona 3-1 man utd barcelona catalunia *****

64. boos says:

repoblica bacelona champions barcelona 3-1 man utd wembley 28 05 2011

65. bob_dylan says:

LOL you are some dumb EPL suker, how can you say Messi fouls someone else, how many times has messi been fouled and kicked around in all the RM and Barca matches and all other matches, every single managers when they play againsta Barca they send like 3-4 defenders only to mark and foul messi. u dont kno nothin bout football cuz u only watch EPL and try to comapare them to Barca. Barca is in totally differen league than ures. Messi on his own trashed ure whole Arsenal team in a fair match which even Arsene Wenger was amazed by Messi and compilemnted him as the best and by far the best player of the world. so SMD and go back to ure cave.

66. Mike says:

“It was an ugly game only lifted by two moments of brilliance.” Are you mentally retarded? Would you call winning a race against someone in a wheel chair brilliance? Pepe was ejected from the game, Messi’s goals mean absoultley nil. Typical Barcalona goals scored in Messi fashion (help from the ref) There was no way Barca was going to score in this match if everything was called and decided equally. Real Madrid is the first team to figure out tactics that prevent Barca from playing thier boring style of soccer, you better believe other teams and trainers watched this game and have learned something from Real Madrid being robbed. Barcalona’s regin is over if not right away definitly soon enough. The fact that UEFA robbed Arsenal once and Madrid twice this year against Barca diminishes the entire value of the Champions Trophy… Barca doesnt deserve it, the world knows that, thier own fans know that (admittingly or not) and you better believe they know that!

67. sonim says:

68. sauraj kutu says:

My favourites is messi . Not one can win him ronaldinho also

69. Falis says:

sorry ppl but i disagree wiv u alot
    we all knw that barca is the best team and no other team is better so why act and make up fake storys about bareclona am a biggggggggggggg fan of them and i love them so much so *give respect get respect *…….HATERS ALWAYS HATE …In 1943, Barcelona faced rivals Real Madrid in the semi-finals of Copa del Generalísimo. Their first match at Les Corts was won by Barcelona 3–0 so this shows that barca was always better then RM shut up if u don’t have any thing good 2 say about barcelona !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70. williamaigle says: