THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
ZUR
THURS, 3PM ET
MON
APO

NBC TV Show Community Features Man Utd vs Liverpool Storyline

Not since Manchester United found its way on to an episode of Entourage in 2007 has a mainstream television sitcom in the United States had a Premier League match as it’s storyline. That is until last night when NBC’s show entitled Community, starring Chevy Chase and Joel McHale, had a sub plot focused on a match between Manchester United and Liverpool.

In the episode, actor John Oliver – who was raised in Liverpool – invites McHale to watch a Manchester United against Liverpool game together on a big-screen TV. Actor Ken Jeong joins the soccer-watching party along with a few other uninvited guests.

Thanks to reader Nicholas Muldoon for the news tip.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to NBC TV Show Community Features Man Utd vs Liverpool Storyline

1. Greg says:

Why would the game be on at 6:30pm, especially given that the show takes place in Colorado?

/Nitpick

2. Rollo says:

I noticed the time of the game was odd, then thought of how funny it is that only major football fans would realize that the time was off. Perhaps it was the first showing of the game on TV in Colorado for a game on delay (stretching, I know)?

3. Fernando says:

@Greg, That’s the first thing I thought when they were watching the game!! Odd kick-off time, all Sky’s fault.

Best line is when Chang gets to the door and Oliver’s character says to let him in b/c he’s wearing the right colors.

4. Dan says:

It’s almost sad how well we picked up on 6:30, or grave diggers biscuits :P, being a wrong time. Realistically they should have my life, waking up at 8am exhausted and waking up my neighbors screaming at a TV.

5. Dan says:

Not a fan that they take this time to diss soccer on tv though, 0-0 comment.

6. SirKev says:

No I thought the best part was that two of the more detestable characters on the show were Liverpool fans. The only thing better would have been if Pierce said he supported Liverpool. LOL

But the timing did seem off. Maybe this was the future where the Premier League added game 39 and this was in Asia or a night game in NYC.

7. Ringo says:

“I’ve been forcing myself to be into soccer since 2004.” Great show.

8. Nick says:

Hah, awesome this got posted, I found the kick-off time odd too but they needed it to correspond with the dance, so whatever.

I just liked that they actually picked up on a real rivalry, big match, and had the right gear. Also while it pains me, I think John Oliver, who I love, is a real Liverpool fan because he mentioned them on his podcast before and there was a bit during the World Cup they did on The Daily Show where John Oliver was wearing his Liverpool jersey.

9. The Gaffer says:

Before this morning, I had never heard of the show or seen an episode. It was pretty good. Not something I would tape to watch, but if I came across the show again, I’d definitely give it another shot. I like John Oliver and Chevy Chase, and the other actors are decent too.

10. King Eric says:

would have been more believable if he spoke with a scouse accent being a liverpool supporter and if it wasn’t on at night, but then again i guess only us fanatics would spot such details.