MON, 3PM ET
SHA0
ATH1
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG3
AJA1

A European Soccer Supporters Map Of The United States of America

usa flag inside map A European Soccer Supporters Map Of The United States of America

Inspired by the recent attempts by others to map which soccer teams people in London support as well as which teams people in Wales support, I wondered what a map of the United States would like broken down by which European teams residents support.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it’s almost impossible. There are so many people supporting so many different teams that it’s much harder to pinpoint specific support because many of the residents support their team from the comfort of their own living room, away from the public eye where their support can be seen.

But there are exceptions. There’s a strong pub culture in many U.S. cities where fans go and wear their team’s colors for everyone to see. Plus there’s a big network of supporters clubs throughout the country where fans congregate. And then you have the summer friendlies that are played across the country which help confirm how popular a team is in any given part of the United States, especially if the attendance is strong and where you can see local fans sporting the colors of their favorite European club.

So, which cities of the United States represent where large numbers of supporters of European clubs exist? Here, thanks to the help of my colleague Kartik Krishnaiyer, is our list:

• Atlanta: Manchester United,
  • Baltimore: Liverpool,
  • Boston: Liverpool and Celtic,
  • Chicago: Wisla Krakow, Red Star Belgrade and Celtic,
  • Fort Lauderdale: Liverpool, Rangers and West Ham United,
  • Los Angeles: Chelsea and Rangers,
  • Miami: Real Madrid,
  • New York City: AC Milan, Napoli, Liverpool and Chelsea,
  • Orlando: Newcastle United and West Ham United,
  • Philadelphia: Leeds United,
  • San Francisco: Barcelona and Arsenal,
  • Seattle: Liverpool,
  • St. Louis: Arsenal,
  • Washington DC: Manchester United and Arsenal.

This is by no means a complete list, so please share your recommendations or feedback in the comments section below, as well as to list suggestions for U.S. cities we missed. I look forward to reading your responses.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

117 Responses to A European Soccer Supporters Map Of The United States of America

1. I have yet to see a single person in Fort Lauderdale wearing a Rangers shirt. Ever. Liverpool is probably correct, and I could even accept West Ham, but I think it’s almost impossible to call an American City as supporting one side in particular. National teams may be a different story due to long-term immigration habits, but as far as the EPL goes, I’ve seen Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, QPR supporters and more in Fort Lauderdale. And I know one little corner of the town where Man United is heavily favored against all comers……..

• The Gaffer says:

Farlie, there has been a massive Rangers supporters group in Fort Lauderdale since the late 80s, early 90s. They used to meet at The Tudor Inn around the corner from Lockhart, but now meet in a pub in Sunrise. They often get Rangers players coming over to the States to speak at special events. More info at http://www.floridarsc.com/

Rangers have also played several preseason friendlies in South Florida over the years.

2. Julio Montes says:

The biggest Gunner support it is here in Denver,Colorado….I would like you to include Colorado USA as a hard core Gunners base. First of we have the Colorado Rapids little brother of Arsenal and It is me my family and friends that we support Arsenal. We also have a unique reason, my son Bryce Montes was invited to train with Arsenal U14 in 2009 by John Knight(scout) . Regards,

Julio Montes

3. Footballfool says:

I think the Tampa Bay are have many Man U supporters due to the ownership of the Bucs.

• Kobashi says:

I’m a United fan living in Tampa and I can say there are a lot of residents here who have a lot of resentment towards United because of the lack of spending by the Glaziers on the Bucs. Since the Glaziers bought United the Bucs have been near the bottom in spending in the NFL.

I can’t say that I’m really active in the soccer community in this area but there is an actual Celtic Bar in Dunedin and a Rangers Bar in I believe Largo. I’m not sure if there is any other supporters clubs in this area of teams from Europe.

• Tony says:

The Rangers bar is the Oakhurt Tavern and the Celtic bar is Flannagan’s, there are two of us Derby supporters in the same office block in Tampa – does that count?

4. BA14 says:

just another reason to hate chicago.

5. Earl Reed says:

I’ve thought about going out to the local Irish pub (which claims to open at 10 AM on Saturday and Sunday) and see if they would put on some football, just haven’t gotten around to doing it yet. Would be kinda weird going to a bar in the morning…

• The Gaffer says:

It’s quite an experience. You usually get a mixture of folks who are recovering from a hangover from the night before, as well as some sipping Diet Cokes (that’s usually me) coupled with families and die-hard supporters.

I would recommend calling them ahead of time to see if they show the games live and then going to one just for the experience.

6. Joe says:

What was the method for determining this list?

• The Gaffer says:

Joe, I think I explained it in the article. Essentially it’s a visible presence, either in large attendances during preseason tours, a large supporters club, or lots of supporters in local pubs. The list was compiled based on visits across the country over the past decade by Kartik and I (separately) as well as some Internet research.

7. jeneria says:

Milwaukee has both an Arsenal bar and a Liverpool bar. And there are a lot of Man U and Chelsea supporters, too. German teams are immensely popular. Given the huge population of immigrants here from Eastern Europe and Africa, you see a lot of really cool jerseys from just about everywhere. This place is insane in the best possible way during a World Cup.

8. jose says:

dude, you forgot nebraska. due to their norwegian roots im assuming norwegian teams.

9. Matt says:

I think I’m the only person in South Carolina who cares about EPL, so please mark SC as an Everton state!

• Jim says:

Sorry Matt but I’ve only met one Everton fan in SC and he is always outnumbered at the pub no matter who they are playing. The largest supported in the Charleston area (people who actually meet up in pubs to watch the matches therefore being more visible as opposed to people who may claim to support a team but own no team merchandise and never really watch them) in order would be Liverpol, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.

• scPhillyfan says:

Well there’s another Toffee fan in SC. But yes in Columbia most fans are big 4 supporters, with an occassional other EPL team in there. I have met a few Everton fans in Columbia, but the one soccer pub here is owned by a Liverpool supporter.

• Brian says:

You can mark another Everton supporter in Clemson, South Carolina. Unfortunately I don’t know of anyone who gathers to watch games

• Clemsonuee says:

In Greenville, South Carolina I mostly run into Big 4 supporters along with some Tottenham fans. I am a Fulham fan and as far as I know the only one of those in the state.

10. RedMD says:

Have to say NYC and Philly have a large Man United support from what Ive seen…

• ManUtdFan4Life says:

I have been looking for an actual organized Manchester United Supporters Group in Philadelphia!

I can find plenty of people who wear the shirt, but not a supporters group. Would be cool to find one! I have a good friend in another state who belongs to a supporters group that is recognized by the actual EPL club and they do charity work and get together for matches.

That’s what I’m looking for… If you know of any, please leave a message for me.

Thanks!

11. Astonfan says:

Some Aston Villa fans in Cleveland, largely because of Randy Lerner owning the Browns.

• GranVillan says:

Columbus, Ohio too (for the same reason — the Browns connection). The AVSC Central Ohio Lions watch matches at Fado Irish Pub (which they share, overwhelmingly, w/ Celtic and Chelsea supporters).

12. Sacto Blues says:

In Sacramento, CA it’s Chelsea and Bandwagon Manure supporters.

13. Adam says:

Baltimore: As I live in the city I can say Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Manchester United, and Chelsea (usual suspects) are well represented with good local supporters groups. To a lesser extent Newcastle, Villa, Spurs, Fulham, and Everton are represented as well.

14. Pakapala says:

Boston as Liverpool & Celtic is dead on; but there’s also quite a bit of italian & portuguese teams support in Boston & surrounding.

15. Rich says:

where’s the dirty dirty leeds fans in Philly? Maybe if they come up next year they’ll crawl out of the woodwork?
    I would say
    Manchester United Americans/Irish
    Liverpool Americans/Irish
    Chelsea – Philly Blues at 2 pubs…get in touch with me if you are one..
    West Ham – decent amount
    Arsenal – well they’re everywhere, aren’t they..

• Joe says:

I’d love you to come down to Elland Road and call a bunch of Leeds fans, dirty and if possible add scum to that…And see how long it takes before you get your noise broken.

16. tonyspeed says:

from my experience so far.
    atlanta – manchester united, liverpool, chelsea
    barcelona

17. Drew says:

NYC and North Jersey always strike me as Arsenal supporters by and large.

• MNUfan1991 says:

True that. One day last week I saw FOUR people wearing l’Arse scarves on separate occasions, and it was not a day with any soccer game scheduled.

That being said, any city with a substantial East Asian population will be an United city. United rules in the Far East.

18. wavestriker says:

There are huge numbers of Arsenal and Manchester United bandwagoners in Boston and New York. HUGE. (They did do that ghastly movie adaptation of Fever Pitch with the Red Sox, after all). Also, doesn’t MSG show Arsenal games regularly? Browsing the bookstores in Boston and NYC, there’s always a substantial Man U section (though that may be a function of the sheer amount of United “literature” in circulation), and at least two dedicated United magazines in the soccer section of the magazine rack.

• Pakapala says:

substantial Man U fans in Boston? No doubt, enough to call Boston a Man U city? No! Same for Arsenal, like you said, most of the fans are recent soccer fans. But as far as true fanbase, going by pub attendance, local clubs and everyday interaction, you can’t go wrong with Liverpool, Celtics, and portuguese clubs like Benfica, Porto & Sporting.

• wavestriker says:

Good point, Pakapala, about the Portugese fans in Boston. Very big Portugese population here, and my cable provider even offers PFC. Had breakfast at Phoenix Landing for the Portugal-N Korea World Cup match and there were lots of Portugal fans.

• soonerscotty says:

also a huge Brazilian population in Boston…between the Irish and Italian descendants, the newly immigrated from Brazil, the international college population, and the general footy friendly atmosphere in the metro, Boston is an awesome footy city!!

• The Gaffer says:

Good point about the Portugese teams. I forgot to include them. And as we saw in that friendly at Fenway Park last summer, they definitely support their teams.

• Clair says:

I do not know where you live, but there is a small Man U following in Boston.

I know a few Arsenal supporters & was surprised to know how many Tottenham supporters there are after going to the Phoenix Landing (the big soccer bar here, along with The Blanchee & Green Briar as an “over flow bar”) this Sunday.

The big one though is Liverpool. They have a massive following (before the Red Sox owners bought them). It’s been that way for years! They have a formal organization, web site, membership cards, attire, the whole bit!

19. Trevor says:

Interesting idea, I’d add Newcastle to the Boston list. In the 4 years I spent there I regularly saw Newcastle fans at pubs/international friendlies and on the street.

20. mike says:

where are the leeds supporters in philly? to me, the city doesn’t have one overwhelming fan base for any foreign teams. when i go to pubs to watch games there seems to be a good mix of the usual suspects…liverpool, united, arsenal, etc. gaffer, i’m not saying you’re wrong about philly, i am just curious as to where the leeds fans gather.

21. WayneBridgeSucks says:

YES airs repeats of Arsenal Matches to the NY/NJ area as well around the country. Kinda hard to leave Arsenal out of the NYC area seeing that they are exposed to Arsenal on a regular basis on the channel that airs live broadcasts of the Yankees and the Nets.

22. RonnieRedXI says:

And . . . San Diego: Man United, Arse, Chelsea, Liverpool.
    But, not sure on your system of accounting, as it’s a difficult task.
    It’s tough nowadays with so many matches being available on telly (at home).
    Ten years ago, shoulder-to-shoulder MU fans in the pubs, but many (and I know many of them) watch at home. Partly, due to convenience, and partly due to avoidance of ‘new shirted’ hangers-on that know nothing about the game, just want a piece of the action.
    I suppose it helps our game somewhat, but it’s reminiscent of 30 years ago when a high clearance in kids football brought ooos and ahs from the supportive, but uneducated parents; and, overhead kicks were the only respected manoevre worth comment.

23. Alan Knut says:

LOTS of Barca shirts in Seattle. Every eight out of ten football shirts I see are Barca. Celtic is second, which is very weird as we are not a Catholic or very religious city. Then United…

Regarding the “pub culture” how many people are true supporters at a pub? Somebody decides to start a football team themed pub and magically that turns the city into supporters of that team? Not that I would ever regularly go to a pub to watch a game I like.

This post would really do well with a map that users could place their location and the team they support. Without any metrics… not a lot of point to this. Although the comments are quite enlightening.

• faboofour says:

Good point re: pub-watching in Seattle. The problem with EPL support on the West Coast is that 3pm UK matches play at 7am PT. Even when delayed, many would rather just crawl out of bed (or not!) at the last second and watch live at home on TV or internet.

There’s a thriving Everton fan base in Seattle that I’m a part of (and occasionally join at the George and Dragon), but again, some of us don’t get out much :)

24. Ivan says:

Tampa: a lot of Liverpool fans, some Manure fans, Arse and Chelski fans here and there.

25. Daniel says:

I’m just one person, but I have only seen (and met) Liverpool and Arsenal supporters in Orlando. Here is a survey (from 2007) that kind of confirms Arsenal is a favorite.
    Maybe I’m hanging out at the wrong places? :)

26. JC says:

When I lived in NYC there was a Man United bar, so they have to be on the list.

Oh, and Portland, Oregon is for Nottingham Forest . At the very least, there’s one of us here. :)

27. eddie torres says:

I’d hope that, since Harry Redknapp was a player-manager for the Seattle Sounders back in the day, that Seattle would have a large Tottenham contingent.

28. pleming says:

Anyone know if/where footy fans meet in Portsmouth NH? Just moved up here from Boston and can’t find anything.

29. Mike in Idaho says:

I saw a Man U/Celtic pre-season match in Seattle in 2004 and it was a sold out game with great atmosphere although most of the Man U fans I met had come all the way from England. The Celtic fans I met all seemed to be American and I was surprised at how blanketed Qwest field was with signs like “Texans for Celtic”, kind of like how the Nebraska football team seems to have supporters nationwide. I was a neutral who just wanted to see some big teams play. I agree with JC that Forest is the team to support, hopefully this year they can navigate the playoff minefield back to the Premiership.

30. El Tri 2014 says:

Houston – Man Utd. and Barcelona, but there’s also a lot of love for the Mexican teams, Chivas de Guadalajara, America, Monterrey…etc.

• The Gaffer says:

Manchester United, definitely. Barcelona, have they played any friendlies in Houston before? I can’t recall.

• Matthew Reed says:

yes, I can confirm Houston is ManU country, just another reason I hate living in this redneck town! CTID

• Tim Foley says:

You’re not kidding…I’ve been to Richmond Arms several times and there are a ton of Gunners fans and obviously, Man U. I rarely see another Chelsea fan in this city. Most of the Chelsea fans I’ve met in Houston are African fans who love our African players – Drogba, Kalou, Mikel, etc.

• John R says:

Houston Newcastle Fan here…was planning on going to Richmond arms yesterday morning to go watch the match with an arsenal friend of mine, but bailed because of ice (i got a 40 min drive to the bar). so bummed i didnt go now. would have loved to see the faces on all the arsenal fans. I wouldnt gloat of course because id be greatly outnumbered, but it would have been a fantastic experience.

And im pretty sure barca played here in the last few years. i was at RA for the chelsea/Tottenham game, and as soon as it was over, a good amount of barca fans came in to watch their match. was sorta surprised by that. guess i shouldnt be though.

• Michael Cuccia says:

Ron’s Pub is a Liverpool hotbed here in Houston every weekend. I also went to Richmond Arms in late 2013 to watch Liverpool v Man U and the crowd was half and half.

31. elpenta says:

We have developed a free iphone app that lets fans place themselves on the map and interact. We have added top clubs (Premier League, La Liga, etc) only recently, so there isn’t enough data yet, but this should provide some answers once more users sign up:

We plan to make more detailed stats available once more people place themselves on the map.

32. dontcallmepaddy says:

Completely 100% accurate map here:

33. william says:

I live in los angeles and seen pretty much the “big 4″
    i support everton, and i remember i had an altercation with a man city fan (i could tell he was a bandwagoner) few words exchanged, yada yada yada never saw him again.

34. Charlie says:

15 years in Atlanta watching footy, I would say the top 6 supported teams are (in no particular order)

ManUtd
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Newcastle
    Wolves

Its pretty to find groups of these fans watching the games every week.

• DGS says:

I was going to put Arsenal at #1 for ATL based on anecdotal evidence. But if you’ve got 15+ years in the city, you’ve got me beat, so your list is probably correct.

(Never seen a Wolves jersey around…)

• Ryan says:

I’ve seen newcastle supporters all around. from exhibition matches at the dome to pubs at 7am on sunday morning to watch the match. Toon Army!!

35. 3feetoffun says:

In buffalo ny I know of a few Newcastle and ManU supporters. I myself support tottenham. But the biggest group with about 30 people organized is arsenal.

36. Mug Number 163 says:

There is a large population of Bournemouth Supporters in Keene NH , the sunny climate and large number of locally brewed light ales is the attraction.Small pockets of Leeds , Newcastle, Everton & Man U Fans are also seen in the area but are completely out numbered by the local cherries fans.

• Mug Number 25 says:

Not to mention the close proximity to the beach, particularly appealing at this time of the year. I suspect the local Bournemouth band-wagon will start to run out of steam now they’ve lost their inspirational manager and the Leeds support will grow (beyond just Phillie) as they continue their charge into the Premiership!

37. trickybrkn says:

So I guess the numbers of West Ham fans in Fla is due to Essex expats. Lotsa of West Ham support in Central Jersey as the Academy is associated with Princeton Fc.

38. Man United has to be added to New York based on the legendary Nevada Smith’s alone.

39. PhillyMatt says:

Leeds United!?!? In Philly??? You’ve got that ALLLLL wrong, sir.

Philadelphia has it’s share of ‘gloriancers,’ who boast TOKEN support for MCFU and Chelsea…but believe it or not…there is a relevant fanbase for the Liverpool here…must be a fellow-port city thing…I dunno…but it’s real, and it’s here…For the love of all that is holy…delete that Leeds United rubbish and get the Reds in that slot before you give me a complex about our city and the complexion of our fanbase…

• Gaz Hunt says:

Have to agree

What are you basing the Leeds United support in Philadelphia to?

I’m about 15 minutes from the city and support Liverpool. There’s quite a few of us but my unscientific diagnosis on Philadelphia (based on shirts seen worn) would be either Liverpool or Arsenal.

• Jeff says:

yeah I would like to know where this Leeds thing comes from. I have never seen one Leeds fan in the Philadelphia area or heard about one. Philadelphia is definitely an Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Barcelona City. Think Barcelona and Arsenal may be the two biggest though. I’m a Manchester United supporter.

40. Adam says:

In Austin you see a lot of Chelsea jerseys, as well as a big support for matches at Cuatro’s. I’ve not seen any organized support around town for other clubs but there are (smaller) Arsenal supporter groups too. (They have their own shirts: Keep Austin Gooner.)

41. Jim says:

A lot of friends here in the Minneapolis area that I have met are fans of Arsenal or Man U. Most of my friends who follow the sport like Arsenal. Not sure what it’s like directly in the Twin Cities, I’d imagine there is a wide range of favorites.

42. nicc says:

Baltimore = Liverpool?

Baltimore is my second home and every time I’m there and we go see a match at the pubs all I see are Arsenal supporters, everywhere.

also, isn’t Baltimore home of, or at least used to be, the Arsenal USA supporters club?

yeah, the Italian section of town supports their familial clubs and you have the random glory hunting ManU and Chelsea fan but by and large Baltimore is an Arsenal hotspot.

43. Dave C says:

I haven’t read all the comments, so apologies if I reiterate anything that’s already been said, but here are my two cents on this issue:

(1) Firstly, I don’t know if you can realistically describe any city in the US as being a hotbed of support for any given European team. The different groups of football fans are so small (and relatively similar in size compared to the population as a whole), and the population of non-football fans so large, that I don’t think you can make any valid observation.

It’s like taking a bathtub full of water (the water being the typical non-footballing American), adding a drop of orange, a drop of strawberry and two drops of lemon (representing the various fans of European teams), and then saying “hey this bathwater is primarily lemon-flavored.” Technically it’s kind of true, but it’s barely more lemon than it is straberry or orange. And whatever the “flavor”, it’s so diluted by the plain water that it’s hardly observable.

(2) Secondly, isn’t it kind of arbitrary to limit this analysis to European teams? I could understand limiting it to English teams (since this is an EPL website), but other than that what’s the rationale for including European teams but not S. American or Mexican teams? I imagine that in most cities with any hispanic community, teams like Club America, Chivas Guadalajara, Boca Juniors etc etc have bigger fan bases than most European teams.

From my personal experience in NYC, I find it hard to agree that it’s a Milan/Napoli/Liverpool/Chelsea base. Sure I’ve seen a handful of people in those shirts (though I don’t remember ever seeing a Napoli shirt), and I’m aware there are local fan clubs of each of those teams. But I’m not sure the support is for those teams is any greater than it is for a dozen or more other European teams. I’ve certainly seen more Celtic, Real Madrid and Barca shirts than anything else.

44. old33 says:

I was in NYC sunday at the 11 ST Bar, the official home of the Liverpool New York Supporters Club. Any way to create a tab that would have links to the various supporters clubs around the US? I realize this would be a challenge.

45. dannyO says:

man utd in Fort Luaderdale.

46. R2Dad says:

Like the previous poster said about Texas, SF has lots of Chivas and America supporters. This is ironic, since the Mission district has more central/south americans than mexicans (vs. LA, which is primarily mexican). The Barca v Chivas friendly at Candlestick two summers ago sold out (70K) for an evening match, and that place is an icebox. I see lots of barca kits and the kids wear them as well as the adults. Mad Dog in the Fog and Kezar, for good footy-watching in the Haight. There are a couple irish bars in the Sunset that show matches as well.

47. CFC says:

Indianapolis has a good amount of Chelsea supporters. Also are the only official Premier League supporters group in Indiana (Indy Blues), who meet at the Chatham Tap downtown.

48. Andrew says:

As an American, I see the MLS as somewhat of a joke. And being an American, I don’t really have an attatched support for one specific EPL team. I do however, like the USA MNT and enjoy to see their players out on the field. So if I see say, Everton vs. Chelsea, I’m inclinded to root for Everton because of Tim Howard. Same applies for Fulham.

• Joe says:

And its “fans” like you who hold back the development of MLS and American soccer. Congratulations!

• daniel says:

Thats kind of a quick opinion to have on that. I have the same opinions about MLS and the USMNT. I watch the EPL (Liverpool supporter) regularly and catch MLS games sometimes but the MLS games can be excruciating to watch. The quality and consistency just isn’t there. I think that the league is starting to become viable worldwide but if 2 decent EPL teams magically dropped into the MLS you would have La Liga or the SPL. Should it be nurtured and supported-yes, but to assume people who like soccer/football are bad fans for not blindly liking a particular product is just wrong.

• Joe says:

It’s not about blindly liking anything, but it is about showing some actual support to the game you claim to like. Do people in Mexico complain that their league is not one of the best in the world? No, they show up in droves because they love the game and want to see it played live by their local teams. I don’t dispute that EPL is of a higher quality than MLS, but if your snobbery dictates that you simply must watch the best of the best or it’s a waste of your time, do you really love the sport at all?

• soonerscotty says:

You’re making an assumption that people want MLS and/or American footy to grow and/or improve. That may not be the case. I personally am ambivelant about the American game/league. Does that make me unpatriotic? Perhaps. Does that make me less of a footy fan? Not necessarily. Where is it written I have to support my domestic league?

I think one can like a league but, not the sport as a whole. Example: I like MLB but, I don’t care for minor league ball…I like NCAA American Football but, am not so much into the NFL.

I like the EPL but, don’t “follow” the sport as a whole. So, if one likes the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc but, not the MLS that’s just their preference and may not indicate an attraction to the game of football across the board.

I watch the World Cup kinda like I watch the Olympics. Meaning that I don’t follow hardly any of the Olympic events but, I’ll watch out of curiosity or because it’s and “event.” So, I suppose that means I don’t necessarily like/follow the sport of footy as a whole. It’s interesting to watch every four years or so but, I will rarely watch a match between nations outside of that.

So, I don’t follow MLS…maybe I don’t want the American league to grow. Maybe I think UEFA’s version of the game is the pinnacle and I want to watch that and everything else is minor league.

• Daniel says:

Soonerscotty kind of matches my perspective. I grew up a huge New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox fan (and still am). I could care less about the NCAA/Boston College or Pawtucket Red Sox aside from some local pride/curiosity. I moved away just as the Revolution were catching their stride (early 90s) but they never became part of my life (even thought they are owned by the Krafts/NE Patriots). Now I’m in Orlando. They just introduced a new team, Orlando City in the USL. They are having a relatively huge marketing blitz now about the team but there is little meat to grab on to as they are brand new. I will take some interest in them as they are my local team but until they came, I had no local team to embrace. I’m not going to blindly embrace the MLS (or Orlando City) because they exist and especially with no pre-existing loyalty. I will embrace them if I like what I’m seeing. I became a Liverpool fan because I liked the football they played, I like the legacy and I felt like I could be a fan of theirs for life. Here in Orlando, minor league teams come with regularity and they leave 1-2 years later. That isn’t much time to build loyalty from people. The MLS is developing nicely, but there is no footprint anywhere close to Orlando-and there aren’t any teams that are easy to graft onto aside from some local pride and loyalty. I am curious about the Sounders and Toronto as I hear things are going well there. I’m also curious about the revival of the Cosmos and I keep my eye on the Revolution but if I have to pick a team from anywhere in the world to support I’m going to find one that I like to watch and unfortunately most of the MLS isn’t on my list.

• Chalky White says:

Thanks for your comment Daniel. Am coming to Orlando for a couple of weeks and am looking for somewhere to watch a few LFC matches. Where would you suggest is best?

• Pakapala says:

Well there may be different level of fans. I think what Joe say, is that fans like that do not help the development of the game in the US. There are fans of the game, no matter what level it is; then fans of the sport as entertainment. I would go to local games in my neighborhood, sometimes get involved in running summer leagues. The quality of the game is not the reason for my support, but it’s just the love I have for the game. I do understand perfectly that someone else do not see that as their cup of tea.
          Just like there are people who go to the movies to watch hollywood type productions mostly, and yet other movie fans (movie buffs) would watch independent films also. I mean don’t get me wrong, no fans have to make it their mission to help the game in the US gets better. I think both fan types can co-exist without the need of finger-pointing.

• R2Dad says:

Joe, if you want to point a finger at a demographic that is “letting down” the development of MLS, look to kids under 12. They’re playing soccer in record numbers, yet watch very little of it (unless they are immigrants, and then they’re watching EPL/La Liga/Serie A). Why is that, and what can be done to turn them into TV-watching MLS fans? Answer that and you’ll “fix” the MLS TV growth challenge that leads to success.

• The Gaffer says:

R2Dad, good question. One thing they can do is to make sure MLS is on TV more often. You really have to hunt to find it. There are tens of other things MLS could do better to improve the league in this country, but TV is a major factor.

• Dave C says:

R2Dad –
        Good point, and in addition to holding back the TV audiences, I believe it also hinders the kids’ soccer development. I see so many US teens who only view soccer via youtube highlight clips and compilations. As a result, they think soccer is all about tricks and never grasp the importance of the relatively mundane skills. So you end up with a bunch of players who know all the Ronaldinho tricks, but can’t pass a ball 10 yards.

49. Prayuj shakya says:

I’m a die hard liverpool supporter, living down south Louisiana. most folks i’ve met here who watch soccer are usually not the locals including me. Looks like boston is a good place to move on. There are a handful of big epl team supporters and big two la liga team supporters here, but soccer is just another foreign game here. those who claim to like soccer here cannot manage to name the Team USA captain, which is a disgrace . The locals have football ingrained in them and believe soccer is for women only….ya’ll know how south is right?

YNWA

50. Cody says:

This St. Louis / southern Illinois native is an Everton supporter. Just saying.

51. CrazyMike says:

Las Vegas has a fair share of support, but its more of a mixing pot than a cohesive group, much like the city itself, which is surprisingly well culturally integrated. I see the most of (in order) Barcelona, Real Madrid, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Leeds, and Juventus. Celtic seems to outnumber Rangers by a fair margin.

While most of my soccer acquaintances have a European team they cheer on (almost exclusively from armchairs and summer friendlies) the ones that really stir the passions up are USA v. Mexico and top Mexican Primera sides v. LA Galaxy. The LA G’s have quite a lot of support. Not so much for ChivasUSA though.

The really old ice cream man who services my neighborhood played for the Austin Aztecs back in the NASL days. He gives free ice cream to all the kids in the park who wear Galaxy shirts, stops and gives lectures to kids on the career and qualities of George Best and stories of misadventures and shenanigans at Bestie’s Beachclub to the adults, and talks tremendous crap to anyone who dares to support a team other than the Galaxy or United. He’s awesome.

52. todd says:

sorry i’m not from the us, but Toronto is mostly Man United and Celtic, plus a bit of Italian, Portuguese, and Real Madrid (supported by immigrants with no apparent Spanish blood in them)

53. rob says:

seattle supports the SOUNDERS!!! watch globally, support locally!

54. Adrian says:

Have to say Liverpool for Seattle sounds wildly incorrect to me. I work at a place that shows soccer all day on the weekends and I don’t think I’ve seen more than one or two Liverpool jerseys this whole season. I see more jerseys than that for Man U or Chelsea pretty much every week. Lots of Barca fans as well, although that might just be because they are so good. Oh, and it seems like a decent number of Arsenal fans (although since I’m one I tend to try and seek them out, so my impression might be biased on that one).

• The Gaffer says:

Hi Adrian, thanks for the feedback, but the premise of the article was not where the most fans are, but more-so what cities are similar to ones in the UK. Seattle reminds me a lot of Liverpool.

55. Chris H says:

While not knocking my fellow Americans that ‘support’ European football… a lot of them have no clue about the team they’re supporting and they don’t really watch them either..

I live in Washington DC… I lived in west London (Hounslow area) for some time, and was raised in the DC area prior to that… Because of this I haven’t immediately gravitated to the major players that get face time (LFC, MANC, CITY, REAL, BARCA, ETC, CHELSKI, ETC..)

I think the most under-represented American-supported club is Fulham. Let’s not forget how hospitable they’ve been to our own boys as they’ve progressed through the ranks. And McBride has never been forgotten… nor will Dempsey.

COME ON YOU WHITES!

56. David says:

Hi all,

I’m a Liverpudlian abroad for the next few months and I’m looking for recommendations of where to watch Arsenal v Liverpool in the EPL on Sunday 16 April? Also Real Madrid versus Barcelona on the same date.

Any info would be gratefully received!

57. Daniel Stark says:

Is there any Swansea City supporter clubs? i live near Sacramento, Ca.

58. Michael Cuccia says:

Dallas – Liverpool fans – The Londoner on Greenville Ave is a hotbed for Liverpool fans. Watched LFC kick the crap out of Arsenal in February when LFC scored 4 goals inside of the first 18 min!