SUN, 11AM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
ARS
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

Are West Ham Set For More Relegation Heartache?

After three consecutive league defeats the last thing West Ham players, fans and staff will want is a clash with in form London rivals Chelsea, but that is the task that they face after the international break. If they lose this game they will be firmly rooted to the bottom of the table with the prospect of a relegation battle starring them in the face.

Are West Ham Set For More Relegation Heartache?

When Avram Grant took over in the summer a fresh sense of optimism surrounded Upton Park, David Gold and David Sullivan had promised fans that no top players would leave and the prospect of new arrivals excited fans Just three games into the new season and this optimism has quickly vanished. While no top players have left yet they may be hoping a move comes their way before tomorrow’s transfer deadline. Confidence is low within the team as you would expect and at the moment they look like a team with a real lack of quality. Robert Green seems to be finding it hard to put his disastrous World Cup behind him, while Carlton Cole has so far failed to show the form he found last season.

While the Hammers opening fixtures haven’t been the easiest, it is the manor of the defeats that will be worrying fans. Beaten convincingly in all three games, it seems that once they go a behind heads drop immediately. West Ham’s saving grace this year could be that there are other clubs struggling with sides like Wigan, Blackpool and West Brom likely to be a in the relegation mix come the end of the season. Unfortunately for West Ham all three of those teams have already picked up points. West Ham need to hope that Carlton Cole and Scott Parker are still at Upton Park this time tomorrow and then maybe just maybe they will have enough to avoid the drop. Do you think West Ham have enough to survive in the Premier League?

13 Responses to Are West Ham Set For More Relegation Heartache?

1. mr angry says:

Yes WHU look like certs for the drop even at this early stage, very, very average squad and that clown of a chairman – definately worth £50 punt.

2. Matt says:

and life doesnt get any easier with the blues coming to upton park in two weeks…

3. patrick says:

Its a long season and they where dealt a crappy early schedule. The looked Horrid V Villa. Played Bolton even yet lost. and gave Man U a game. But you did point out where they fail. Once they get behind, you just know they will lose.
    Grant has admitted they lack confidence. They have brought in some decent players, Obinna from Inter just yesterday. Dyer looked rather good v Man U. and they got Yobo from Everton today.

Word is Cole to Liverpool, Babel to WHU. or Parker to Spuds, Keane back.

I still think they end the season with 51 pts, mid table.

4. Jacob says:

I think they are gone. They barely stayed up last season and they look worse then they did then. I like West Ham but the proof is in the pudding.

5. Gaz Hunt says:

Where are all the naysayers now? I got berated when I had them going down in the prediction article.

• patrick says:

I’m still here, and still think they are mid table team. This team will gel, but its been a very shaky dressing room when everyone not sure yet of their place in the squad. Once this window shuts, they will look like a different team.

Not to mention none of the new players have really even played. This team has a ton of quality.

• Gaz Hunt says:

Again, I have to bring up the point I, admittedly, relied on last time.

Is this quality the same quality that got them a 17th place finish? The players they signed aren’t of any better quality than what they already have.

Don’t misunderstand me, I have a fondness for the club and would love to see them stay up but just can’t see it. I would be fighting you too if you were to say the same of my club but surely you must see that the chances of relegation are higher than not.

• patrick says:

Look i’m not saying we are world beaters, it will come down to other teams being poorer. Am I pleased with the David’s attach yourself to great names, sign better then average players? no.

Do I think we have the quality to win more then we lose? YES.

If we are still in the bottom 3 at Christmas, I will be worried.

• patrick says:

BTW who do you support?

6. Cory says:

Having Hitz unhealthy has dealt a sure blow to the functionality of the team. Much of WHU’s preseason was geared towards centering play around him and Parker. I find it disastrous that we made so little effort to buy quality defense and instead placed our purchases in midfielders and attackers who have yet to make any noticeable impact. The Villa game was atrocious at all levels (if not just for Tomkins alone). We played well in the 1st half vs. Bolton but (like what Patrick mentioned above), we sink after picking the first goal out of the net. I thought the first 30 minutes of the Man U match looked decent. A 4-4-2 looked better this week, but even with an additional attacker Cole looked ineffective. He was very disconnected from Dyer, and Dyer vice versa (seeing him play 60+ minutes was perhaps the bright spot). I know during the preseason we had worked a 4-3-3 (or 4-2-3-1) with making Cole the pinnacle of that forward set, which seemed to work. However, there is still great difficulty in going forward – we only managed one real shot on goal in the game vs. Villa (Faubert’s horrific miss).

Behrami’s sitting and being paid. Not injured whatsoever.

Defensively I think things are a mess. Faubert would be more effective than Spector or Tomkins on the back line. His passing ability was good last year but was horrid during the Man U game (given that Carlton Cole would actually check to a ball and not get have it nicked before it arrived).

I say we optimistically break 50 points, but I’m even hesitant to go that far unless there is a quick turnaround.

7. Arsenal Future Manager says:

I Support Arsenal But Am 4rm East ham Close 2 Upton Park, So A Part Of Me Has Got Some Love 4 West ham Nd I Cant Believe The Way They Started The Season, Ok Mayb West Ham Wasnt Going 2 Get Points 4rm Man U, Bolton n Villa, But I Still Want 2 See The Best Team Playing Out Dere And Westham Has Now Got A Good Enuf Team 2 Get A 10th Position, Becoz After The International Break I Expect The Whole Team 2 Be Back N As Fit As Katie Price Lol But Yh This Shud Be The West ham 1st Team:
    ————— Green ——————
    Ben.Haim — Yobo — Upson — ???? —
    ——————- Noble ——————————
    —————————- Hitzlsperger ——————-
    ————– Parker ———————————
    Piquionne ———————————– Obinna/Barrera
    ——————— C.Cole ————————

LB: For Some Reason I Dont Fink Ilunga Is The Future Of West ham’s LB, I Wud Rather Switch Winston Reid, Behrami, Faubert 2 LB Nd Use Dem Instead.

8. Dave says:

West Ham should have sold all the older pro’s and let the yougsters have a go, Daprela showed heart and comitment to the cause somthing sadly lacking by the current 1st team with the exception of Parker. Green, Cole, and Upson need to move on as they cannot perform consistantly enough, mistakes in every game which drains the confidence and effort from the rest of the team. The other older pro’s are ok but not world beaters. Its the same players from other premiership teams that do the damage in games season after season, Kevin Davis Bolton, Paul Scoles Man Utd, Steven Gerrard Liverpool, Downing A Villa, etc etc. When will we get the tactics right and shove the ball down over the goal line against these teams. Rant over for now.