TUES, 2:45PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
JUV2
MAL0
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BEN0
ZEN2

Should Premier League Clubs Allow Vuvuzelas?

As of press time, eight Premier League clubs have taken the precautionary step to ban the controversial vuvuzela still a few weeks until the domestic league starts.

Other clubs such as Chelsea, Manchester City and Blackpool have openly spoken of their intentions to not ban the plastic South African horns and to leave it up to their supporters regarding whether or not they wish to bring them to matches.

The Premier League itself has decided they’ll leave the decisions up to the clubs themselves in terms of if they wish to ban the vuvuzela’s or not. Personally, I think the Premier League itself should ban the horn before it’s presence itself could cause a problem at a match.

With no real disregard for the horn, the Premier League isn’t South Africa and I believe the horn should be left as a cultural staple in that country and not try to re-invent itself in England.

The vuvuzela’s presence in the Premier League will be met with distaste by many supporters attending matches. All it will take is one person blowing it in the ear or close by a supporter who hates its over-bearing sound and a potential flash point could break out resulting in crowd trouble or fighting.

What are you thoughts on the vuvuzela making an appearance in the Premier League? Should the league take a stand and ban them from all grounds or allow the clubs to make their own decision? If you attend matches in England, will you be taking a vuvuzela with you to matches?

23 Responses to Should Premier League Clubs Allow Vuvuzelas?

1. NJ says:

NO they are annoying

2. jackandpele says:

Vuvuzuelas should be allowed wherever Chelsea is playing. And beach balls wherever Liverpool plays.

3. Quinn says:

Leave it up to the individual club. However, if they become weapons, or are thrown on the pitch during a match, then the FA should step in and ban them from all matches in England.

4. tapejunior says:

I was in South Africa at the World Cup and they’re not as bad in person as they are on TV. I brought earplugs with me, but they weren’t needed. TV uses multiple pitchside microphones to get their audio, so they are getting it from all angles.
    I say allow them as long as they’re not used as weapons

5. T Slominski says:

I live in the San Francisco Bay region. The Bay is full of invasive species of clams, crabs, mussels, and other assorted aquatic life, brought by ships from Asia and elsewhere. These alien forms disrupt the local ecosystem – baby fish are eaten, commercial oyster production is partially destroyed, etc.

I see the possible introduction of the vuvuzela to the EPL as no different.

Sorry to those that like to blow horns, but I’m for cleaning the hull bottoms of fans who intend to bring those alien species into the grounds – England, Germany, Spain, wherever.

I actually enjoyed them during the WC, but they must be eradicated from hitching a ride to other continents. They will infest my enjoyment of watching matches on TV.

6. John @coachclifford says:

Ban them. Like locusts to farming, one of the worst things to ever happen to the sport.

7. Bishopville Red says:

I don’t have a beef with banning them, if that’s what clubs want to do.

The only thing that’s really bothered me about the whole thing is that a lot of comments have been written in derisive terms about how this is being done to serve TV, and that’s some sort of “selling out to the man” policy.

Sometimes yo have to acknowledge that “the man” is putting billions into the pockets of the clubs, and should have a say. I consider banning vuvuzelas a lot less of a problem to serve the TV beast than, say, cancelling replays so the TV audience can have a decision before the evening news.

Oh, wait…

8. Aaron says:

Ban them. EPL games have great atmosphere and Vuvuzelas would only subtract from it.

9. Steve Phillips says:

I do hope they ban them from all Premier League venues. I really enjoy the unique sounds and songs from the different club grounds. The vuvuzellas made every World Cup stadium sound the same. I enjoy the different personalities you get from the 20 stadiums in the league. The vuvzellas are unique to South Africa and the World Cup. Let’s leave them exactly that.

10. tonyspeed says:

you guys sound like a bunch of dictators. lol lol and they said america is a democratic country.

11. andy c says:

what? Chelsea ban you bringing celery into the ground but allow these monstrosities?

I’m all for local customs etc, which means if anyone sitting near me at the Bridge produces one of these they will be getting a right good kicking very swiftly.

12. Matt says:

They don’t need to ban them because no fan in their right mind would ever bring them into their home ground. It would quickly become a weapon, against them.

In all seriousness they need to be done away with. People had a marginal argument at best when the vuv’s “had to stay” for the world cup in SA. No such case exists now.

• Patrick says:

Marginal arguements to keep them in South Africa? If anything the arguements against them were marginal and just a sad knee jerk reaction from people who can’t accept/put up with things they don’t like without any consideration for those who the horn is important to.

Banning the horn in South Africa would be like telling the English no chants during EPL games, telling the Swedish to F-off with their cow bells, the many nations to f-off with their drums, telling the mexicans no more noise makers, and etc. You can’t pick and choose which nations cultural norms are acceptable, they’re either all acceptable or none of them should be on the international level.

With that said these things have no significance in England in any point in time and really shouldn’t be allowed in games. Not because I hate them or anything but because I think it will take away from the traditional atmosphere most fans enjoy. I do think it was smart by those clubs mentioned in the above article to take the “wait and see approach” not really telling fan’s they can’t bring it but not really recommending it either.

The one big problem I can see is like someone mentioned above. I don’t think the home fans will be the problem makers with this. However I can see away fans who travel in groups taking delight at interupting chants in order to inflame the home side.

Once everyone stops talking about these things the faster they’ll lose popularity and go away.

13. Mike in Idaho says:

The Premier League should ban them, I would think with all the money they rake in from TV that they would want to appease the viewers, not annoy them.

14. Welfed says:

Yes, I saw ban ban and please ban.. Very annoying and distracting. I feel sorry for the teams during the World Cup

15. Simon Burke says:

Ban. I didnt care for them on telly but I got used to it – but to pay to sit next to one would drive me mad. Its a culture killer – South Africa was a real let down I felt in terms of the crowd – for a country with such amazing musical traditions, this was the worst noise ever heard from a football crowd.

16. LGZ Online says:

I actively avoid watching and attending games involving Portsmouth, simply down to the annoying, continual drone of their drums and bells.

Bring the Vuvuzela to the Premiership and I’d imagine clubs would lose out on a lot of ticket sales and TV audiences would probably plummet!

17. NJ DJ says:

The FA should step in and eliminate them from all matches.

18. Fee says:

They have got to go! Why would you consciously bring one of these to a game and blow into it? That’s lazy support in my opinion. Sing, shout and scream your support (or disdain) that’s all you need to do at a game!

19. Emeks says:

What a hell is going on? Do people no longer have freedom to do certain things? Attempt was made to ban vuvuzela even in South Afrrica but for the intervention of FIFA President. Attempt is being made to ban it again in England.Is this a matter of control?

20. john K moss says:

Although I love the Vuvuzela, I admit that someone could get so annoyed with a fan next to them that is blowing one, that a fight could easily start over it.
    I dont approve of those that say the vuvuzela could be used as a weapon, because you could apply that logic to french bread.
    (not that many people I know take their french bread to matches, but you get my general point!)