Thank You Kartik and FC Tampa Bay Finds a Home

kartik krishnaiyer Thank You Kartik and FC Tampa Bay Finds a Home

Yes it’s been more than two weeks since the announcement was made here on MLS Talk, but as the old saying goes, better late than never. To my colleague Kartik Krishnaiyer may I say congratulations on your hard work and dedication to the game here in the United States for your current position with the new North American Soccer League (N.A.S.L.).

I knew Kartik when he was apart of the Champions Soccer Radio Network (CSRN) as he along with Dave Denholm of 710 ESPN Radio in Los Angeles hosting the American Soccer Show & once in a while I would be a guest or a fill in reporter when Denholm would be doing other assignments for ESPN Radio. It was alot of fun discussing American Soccer in all of its levels. Club football, the US Open Cup and of course the National Team.

During the whole David Beckham fiasco on his demands to be transferred permanently to AC Milan, Kartik introduced me to MLS Talk and of course the Gaffer. I was happy to join this wonderful site and be apart of the MLS Talk Podcast. It is because of the respect that I have for Kartik and his passion for the game that I know he is going to do a fantastic job working for the NASL. He is a tireless worker that believes in what’s right and in my view Jeff Cooper has picked the right man for the right job.

Obviously there has been some form of a backlash to Kartik’s hire. Well let me say that’s what happens when certain people are jealous when they assume they could do a better job than Kartik. Maybe so, but those who are not in favor of Kartik taking this position. Next time call Jeff Cooper so you can beg for a job when it comes up in the NASL front office.

My colleague Kartik Krishnaiyer. I am very proud that you have earned this new job. I wish you great success for now and into the future. I hope everything works out and I already know that you will never forget where you came from. And now for the Tampa Bay Soccer situation.

From the office of Mr. Krishnaiyer in the NASL the Tampa Bay Rowdies have just changed their name to FC Tampa Bay. At the same time the club will be playing their home matches at the Spring Training home of the New York Yankees and the home of the Class Single A affiliate Tampa Yankees at George M. Steinbrenner Field.

Formerly Legends Field the ball park will have 10,000 seats dedicated to FC Tampa Bay as well as the bleacher section behind the right field wall. The Steinbrenner family who are Tampa residents have had their share of involvement with the local Tampa sports scene, besides their day to day operations with the Twenty-Seven Time World Series Champions New York Yankees. George Steinbrenner has had a minority ownership with the NHL Tampa Bay Lightning when they were an expansion team in the 1992-93 season.

“We are excited about playing at Steinbrenner Field and being involved with the Yankees. They are truly the most successful American sports brand, as well as an organization rooted deeply in the Tampa Bay Community.” Said owner Andrew Nestor. “The stadium is located at an optimal central location and the stadium fits our needs perfectly. We can’t wait to start the season at Steinbrenner Field.”

Yes we all know that the club will start this year in the USL Conference, but in 2011 they will make the permanent move to the NASL. I am very happy to see the Tampa area getting back professional football ever since the contraction of the Tampa Bay Mutiny from MLS in 2001. At the same time I blame the Glazer Family for not making a substantial effort to keep the Mutiny afloat as they were earning rent from the league using Raymond James Stadium, as well as their original home of the NFL’s Buccaneers Tampa Stadium.

Now that we have seen the Glazer family put Manchester United in debt again, maybe it was a smart thing that they aren’t controlling a pro club in US Soccer. But once again this is a fantastic time to be a supporter in Central-West Florida as the town will have a home for a new club in second division football for years to come.

18 Responses to Thank You Kartik and FC Tampa Bay Finds a Home

1. kevin_amold says:

I’m pretty sure he’ll do well, but I think you meant he is a “tireless” worker. Or maybe you really think he is tiresome, I could be wrong on that point….

2. Charles says:

The irony, take away the NASL name and then join….the NASL.
    What are they thinking, that was one of the best names in all of sports ?

With the Sounders having all their success, 31k season tickets already sold for this year, the Whitecaps a layup to be sold-out and I am sure the Timbers will do well too, they decide to go away from the history and start new ?

3. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Thanks for noting the error. I meant Tireless worker. Thanks.

4. Jason says:

Why is it that the only two allowable opinions on Kartik are “He’s fabulous” or “I’m incredibly jealous that he got a low-paying job with a startup soccer league at the Division II level?”

Can someone just think he’s not all that bright and that he had a huge undisclosed conflict of interest going on for the last year? And not be “jealous?” Why is that what all of his fanboys assume anyone who’s critical is feeling?

5. remy says:

Most importantly FC Tampa Bay is opening a residency academy which will be the first of its kind for an American club is excellent news.

6. Adam Edg says:

I am disappointed that the team is no longer the “Rowdies.” I thought the whole point of the NASL was to bring back memories of the glory days. Ditching the classic name in favor of the generic assures me that this team will fail.

7. SounderCraig says:

“It was alot of fun discussing American Soccer in all of its fascist.”

Although Kartik may have long expressed strong views about USSF and MLS, might you have meant “facets”?

8. Joe in Indianapolis says:

Crap writing

9. eplnfl says:

It is a great move for the Tampa club to play at the former Legends field. I’ve seen it up close and it is a gem. Also, it has a central location in the Bay area and is easy to get to. I wish my family still had their home in the area so I could take in some of the action myself.

I have had the pleasure to spend some time with Kartik. Those who have followed this site know I have had my difference of opinions on what he has written or broadcast. Yet, those are honest differences of opinion. He is a wealth of knowledge of both the US soccer scene and world soccer as a whole and his opinions are thoughtful. I will miss beyond words his coverage of the USMNT especially during this WC year. He has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the game. To Jason I can only say not appreciating Kartik’s work and questioning his intelligence says more about you than Kartik.

Soccer in this country needs people like Kartik to grow the sport to where we all want it to be. I feel he is the right man at the right time and place to help soccer explode in the 2nd decade of the century, which we hope will be the decade of soccer.

I must conclude that I do not dislike the new name but the Rowdies are a important name in American soccer which should be kept alive.

10. Miami Ultra says:

Tampa Bay changed their name I believe due to a trademark issue. Someone else owns the “Tampa Bay Rowdies” name and won’t give it up. However they are still calling themselves the Rowdies, they are just officially “FC Tampa Bay”.

PS Congrats to Kartik!

11. Brazilian Fan says:

Yeah, acording to the NASL official website, they are called F.C. Tampa Bay Rowdies. I don’t think that is about the trademark cuz some of the owners have the trademark (I am almost sure about that, I read somewhere…) but to atract fans that love have “F.C.” in the soccer team names. So stupid!

12. Jason says:

“To Jason I can only say not appreciating Kartik’s work and questioning his intelligence says more about you than Kartik.”

No, it says that he’s a none-too-bright wannabe who makes no secret of his biases, has been in Traffic’s back pocket for more than a year, and can’t get the names of clubs or stadiums right.

In short, the sycophants apparently simply refuse to look at what someone ACTUALLY does, insisting always on focusing on the fact that someone with “passion” for the game is in a position of (supposed) power and status.

Passion is great. But it’s best when it’s combined with actual talent. And he has none. He’s a poser. And the fact that you all rally around him says as much about you as it does about him.

13. evan eleven says:

dude Daniel you seriously need an editor. you and everybody at MLS Talk should be embarrassed by this crap. i dunno if English is your second language or what but please get a clue. “American soccer in all of its fascist” LOL…

14. 3441 says:

I LIKE KARTIK’S WRITING ALOT AND FEW PEOPLE WHO COVER THE GAME IN THE US KNOW AS MUCH AS HIM ABOUT THE WORLD GAME.

BUT THE MORE FEUERSTEIN IS ASSOCIATED WITH HIM, THE MORE I QUESTION IF KARTIK IS REALLY ALL WE CRACKED HIM UP TO BE.

DANIEL, NO OFFENSE BUT YOU ARE AN INCOHERENT BABBLING IDIOT ON THE PODCAST AND WRITE LIKE A FIRST GRADER. KRISHNAIYER CONTINUING TO PUT YOU ON THE SHOW IS REALLY A POOR REFLECTION ON HIM.

15. 3441 says:

JASON,

HAFL THE MAINSTREAM WRITERS YOU PROBABLY THINK ARE SO GREAT ARE IN MLS’ BACK POCKET AND SELECTIVELY WRITE STORIES AT THE WHIM OF THE LEGAUE OR CLUB OFFICIALS. SO EVEN IF K WAS IN TRAFFIC’S BACK POCKET, HE WAS NOT ANY DIFFERENT THAN MANY WRITERS AROUND.

BESIDES, AS SOMEONE IN SOUTH FLORIDA HE RIPPED TRAFFIC AND MIAMI FC MORE THAN MANY OF US WERE HAPPY WITH AND ALSO WROTE THAT MIAMI SHOULD NOT GET EITHER MLS OR THE WORLD CUP. HE ALSO CALLED MIAMI FC A SEMI PRO TEAM AT ONE POINT PUBLICLY WHICH ALSO DID NOT GO OVER WELL.

I CAN GUARANTEE YOU FOR A FACT THAT TRAFFIC WAS UNHAPPY WITH HIM ABOUT ALL THIS STUFF. HE EARNED THAT NASL JOB LIKELY BY IMPRESSING THE OTHER OWNERS.

16. zhe fulano says:

I don’t see any justification at all the negative swipes. First and foremost, this stuff is about everyone enjoying soccer – not bashing each other. There are some honest differences of opinion on lots of issues. That’s probably a bad thing on North Korean soccer blogs, but it shouldn’t be here. Besides, there probably aren’t any North Korean soccer blogs. I appreciate Kartik’s initiatives in starting many interesting posts with a good article. Folks have always been free to agree or disagree, but some lose perspective.

Congratulations, Kartik. Land a job you love and you will never work a day in your life. I think you did it.

17. dave2010 says:

Don’t fret the recent name change, Fannies: they are still the Rowdies, but there is some dispute about rights to merchandise with the old name/logo so for the time being the Rowdies owners are side-stepping the issue with the FC Tampa Bay name (personally, I would have preferred Rowdies FC). More here, interview with Andrew Nestor:

Q and A with Andrew Nestor, Owner, President and CEO of FC Tampa Bay