TUES, 2:45PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
JUV2
MAL0
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BEN0
ZEN2

World Soccer Daily Reborn As World Football Daily: Will It Survive This Time?

World Soccer Daily logo World Soccer Daily Reborn As World Football Daily: Will It Survive This Time? (Can a simple name change effect results?)

Last Friday, August 21st, 2009 was in my opinion a small step back for football in this country. The controversial day marked the end of  World Soccer Daily, the only daily football talk show in America. The sense of community that I & so many other American European football fans found at WSD will truly be missed. Cohen decided to walk away after he admitted to being “a wee-bit frightened” by some of the “threats” he & his family received. The outpouring of sympathy from WSD loyalists could soon be heard from Kentucky, U.S.A., all the way to Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Many of you are probably aware of the “debatable” comments that host Steven Cohen made in April concerning the disaster at Hillsborough some 20 years ago. (For full story, visit The Gaffer: http://www.fit.am/107)

What ensued after the comments was a full fledged boycott led by the Liverpool FC New York Supporters Club. A successful one at that. Some of the sponsors that pulled funds were Heineken, Ruffneck Scarves, FourFourTwo & Fado Pubs. Chances are Cohen may have gone slightly too far with his opining, ( his dislike for all things Liverpool was well known) but at the end of the day he was simply practicing his right of free speech on the show he built from scratch with Poker enthusiast & Liverpool supporter Nick Geber. Like him or not, since 2002, Cohen & Co. have been more than instrumental in bringing football to the masses on the daily Sirius show & via a heavily downloaded iTunes podcast. WSD’s core audience in the early days were mostly the hardcore underground football fan & the random expat. However, in the last year or so, the show has continued to grow by leaps & bounds with the increasing popularity of the beautiful game Stateside. Cohen was the voice of soccer in this country, many looked up to him & co-host Kenny Hassan because they had no where else to turn. Only in the last few years has it become easier to support a major European club in this country. Goodbye to the days of expensive PPV & lackluster coverage, hello Fox Soccer Channel & Setanta.

Last Friday, August 29th, 2009, with only one week off the air, Cohen &  Hassan returned with a 15 minute promo under the new moniker World Football Daily. During the brief introduction of the new show, the lads promised to bring to the masses a changed direction resulting in a “revolutionary” way of presenting football conversation in this country. An “Interconnected world town hall meeting every day”, was promised by Cohen, who hopes listeners will utilize the online software application Skype-which allows users to make voice calls over the internet. The audience-driven model will now be a monthly subscription based show & mostly rely on the internet crowd, pod-casters, U-streamers & massive/already established core audience to make the show successful. The show even hopes to fly out a fan to co-host once every few months. Cohen admitted to being hounded by Hassan in the hours & days immeaditely after WSD’s demise to re-start a fan-driven football talk show. Cohen also stated in the 15 minute sneak peak on Friday that his family was instrumental in his decision to re-brand & continue on. Heart-broken fans didn’t have to wait long. The show returns Monday, August 31st with what will be it’s last free show. The very next day the show returns with it’s first attempt at the new subscription based model.

What’s your initial reaction to the re-branded show starting on Monday? Does Cohen owe more penance to the Liverpool FC Supporters Club of NY, or more specifically, the families of the 96? Will a subscription based model work in an age of digital downloading & file sharing? How important has Cohen’s voice been over the last seven years?

I believe Cohen has a responsibility to continue with a show in this country. Again, love him or hate him, he’s been an important figure in this country & can continue to provide credible guests that can offer insight into the game we love like no other outlet. Experienced professionals like Tim Vickery, Robbie Earl, Andy Brassel, Misha Sher, Phil Ball & Sean Wheelock are just a few of the experts that have delivered incredible insight in the past. (Readers must not forget the great EPL Talk Podcast as well. There are other great shows in this country in addition to WSD.)

With ESPN’s long-reaching hand now in the world football cookie jar, the popularity of our sport in the states to the mainstream American sports audience is officially on the precipice of explosion. With ESPN providing HD broadcasts, Premier League & La Liga rights, & World Cup 2010 right around the corner, us football fans stateside are in for an exciting next few years. Here’s hoping football gets the credibility it deserves as a sport in the country. We’ll take all the help we can get.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

125 Responses to World Soccer Daily Reborn As World Football Daily: Will It Survive This Time?

1. Justin says:

Well said Jesse. I agree that Steven has every right to speak his mind but with the vast audience that he has gained he has a responsibility to keep some ideas restrained….especially one of such controversy where people lost their lives. With that said, I look forward to the continue growth of football in this great nation. Thanks for your insight and keep doing what you do!

2. Reds69 says:

As a Liverpool supporter who participated in the boycott, I’m happy he’s off the air. I think it’s unfortunate he chose to end WSD entirely as opposed to simply replacing himself (as Geber did when he moved on). The US needs such shows, it just doesn’t need to be hearing lies as truth from such a vile man. All the Hillsborough lies aside, Cohen was a divisive figure. Even before he made his comments, I stopped watching and listening to his shows because I just couldn’t stand his style or his manner of presenting. I continued to hope that more options would become available.

I am confident another show will come about to replace WSD. Obviously there are sponsors who are willing to put their money behind such a show, as WSD demonstrated, they just don’t want to be associated with the awful nonsense Cohen was spewing. And yes, he has every right to say what he thinks. But he must also deal with the repercussions of those statements when they are so blatantly incorrect and hurtful. If he had simply apologized the first time he said these things (several years ago) and stopped bringing it up over and over again, it wouldn’t have come to this. He wouldn’t have lost his sponsors and he wouldn’t have been denounced by his beloved Chelsea. If he did receive threats, then I think that is despicable. But that was not part of the organized boycott, and I don’t for one moment believe that was the reason for ending the show. I’m disgusted that he is trying to paint it that way. His sponsors didn’t leave because Liverpool fans made anti-semitic threats. They left because what Cohen was repeatedly saying was indefensible and they wanted no part of it.

As for Cohen’s new venture, he’s welcome to it. There’s a reason it won’t be sponsor supported, though. I imagine he will struggle to find enough listeners willing to pay for his show, but if he does, then good for him. Paying subscribers will know what they’re getting with him. I’m just glad he’s off the general airwaves, poisoning those who don’t know any better.

• Are you an American or from somewhere else? Have you never shared you opinion on the JFK assasination in which people died?, 9/11 in which people died?, the Vietnam War in which people died? because as far as I understand from everything I have read is that the British goverment released a report saying unticketed patrons had no impact on the result of what unfolded…so you probably believe everything Bush and Obama tell us on tv…..well I dont believe everything were told and dont find what he said overtly offensive…wrong in some areas sure, but are we foolish to think that no blame should be put on the people barging in to a crowded stadium….blame can be well placed on police, stadium organizers, and yes the fans themselves…..but in my opinion Cohen did not say anything close to the likes of someone like Don Imus, and boycotting the show is one thing but writing into sponsors and getting the show esentially canned because you dont like the opinion of the host is just unamerican to me…..I boycott blockbuster and walmart by not shopping there…but I dont call up rubbermade and tell them walmart is the devil quit putting your products in there……sorry I got so long winded but I believe in the freedom to turn on and off the radio, Im not a Howard Stern fan so I turn the station if I dont agree with a segment on the show, I dont whine to sponsers trying to get the guy canned.

• Reds69 says:

I’m American and English. You say what he said wasn’t as bad as Imus “in your opinion”. But in the opinion of many others, it was just as bad. If you call alerting sponsors to the kind of lies they are supporting “whining”, then so be it. In my opinion, it’s the way a free market works. It’s not as simple as just not listening. I don’t want Cohen to be the voice that Americans, who are often otherwise ignorant about the history of English football and it’s clubs, learn from. Others will take his place. You may not agree, but large corporate sponsors don’t take pulling sponsorships lightly, so there’s obviously something very serious in this for many many people. You can’t possibly think that a company like Heineken was so pressured by a small group like LFCNY that they just gave in. Or that Cohen’s own club, Chelsea, actually issued a statement against him because they didn’t want to upset Liverpool fans?? Of course not. It’s because it IS important, and he IS wrong.

• Matt in MA says:

No, Cohen’s comments were not as bad as Imus’s because they weren’t a matter of civil rights. Don Imus made racist comments; Steven Cohen took an unpopular view of an event. You can hardly relate the two situations. Don’t for one second pretend that racism is similar to what Cohen said.

Also, don’t be so naive to think that the sponsors pulled their advertising because they didn’t like what Cohen was saying. Rarely are sponsors so political. What they objected to was the harassment by LFCNY and other LFC supporter groups.

Lastly, I have not heard one LFC supporter explain why they didn’t sue Cohen for libel. You claim his statements were awful lies that caused you harm…that sounds like a lawsuit to me. Yet, your cause is so weak and unjustified that you know if you took it to court you would lose.

• RationalPOV says:

“unpopular view of an event”
            1.Would denying the holocaust, or saying that Jews brought it upon them be an unpopular view of the event?
            When Yossi Benayoun was stomped in a match against Newcastle and the guy(was it Barton or Guthrie?) wasn’t sent off, some LFC fans moaned about anti-semitism(apparently the linesman was the only Muslim one in all of Britian/EPL). Mr. Cohen rightly laughed off those comments(with contempt and scorn and that glee he gets from deriding LFC). He had a point. I guess he should have listened to himself when he did a 180 and started babbling about ant-semitism and racism of Kopites.

3. Ed says:

I agree, well said. I had listened to WSD since it was World Soccer Weekly, going back to 2003 or so. I missed it this week. Watching the 2nd half of Man U v. Arsenal, I kept thinking that Monday would be a “must-listen” to Steven & Kenny. Then became sad as I remembered that wouldn’t be a possibility. While I am excited they will be back, I’ll have to see how much the subscription will be. As much as I love the show, I don’t know that I can justify paying too much for it.

4. Richard says:

First off, I have really grown to enjoy this website. Even if we are on different terraces when it comes to supporting clubs. I was born in Ancoats, Manchester, and I’m a United supporter. I am a devoted WSD listener. I podcast the show daily and yell at my iphone when Steven slags off Man United. Nevertheless, it was a great show. I’m on board for the rebirth of the show. I’m hoping World Football Daily will be bigger and better. I know that he also lost some quality pundits, i.e. Graham Poll and Dotun Adebayo, due to the NY LFC pressure. In my opinion, it was a shame that they went on such a witchhunt. He apologized several times but apparently that wasn’t enough. They wanted a scalp along with their apology. Enough is enough. Let the man earn a living and continue on with a great show. I will be a paying subscriber starting next week. I hope other listeners step up as well. We can’t afford to lose anymore football shows. Although I will say good riddance to the 2G’s. Whatever happened to them, btw?

Richard

• Reds69 says:

Richard, he did apologise. Several times. And each time, he followed it up with more of the same incorrect vitriol, completely negating his apologies. One time he even read off his apology, wadded it up, threw it away and said he was welcome to his opinion and it wouldn’t change. There wasn’t a sincere apology in the bunch. Even when he said he wouldn’t discuss it anymore, he apparently couldn’t help himself. If he had just kept his mouth shut, he wouldn’t be in the position he is in today. But he didn’t, so he must deal with the consequences. This is not uncommon in radio, in fact. Imus, anyone?

It was far from a witch hunt. It was important to many people, not limited to LFC supporters, that he not continue to be the voice of the sport in the US. I realize that his supporters will continue to point fingers at us because he tells them to, but those who know (including sponsors, clubs, other pundits, etc.) have spoken out against him. That certainly should lead people to realise he is not on the side of right in this instance.

5. Jay says:

Good Luck Steven and Kenny on the new venture. It’s hard to believe in the free country that we live in that “Liverpool SS” army could succeed in silencing free speech. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, your opinion is just that…an opinion. I always wondered why on certain programs, they preface the show by saying,” the commentary expressed in this program does not specifically reflect the….” IT IS JUST WHAT ONE PERSON BELIEVES”!!! Glenn Beck does not seem to be going off the air anytime soon. He too is protected by free speech despite his racist and bigoted commentary. Long Live World Football Daily!!!!

• Matthew N says:

Just as one man is free to speak his mind, sponsors are free to speak with their money. The money spoke. You clearly don’t understand the way the world works, my friend.

• Jay says:

My point Matthew is this: Glenn Beck averages 3 million viewers despite nearly losing every sponsor he had. Sponsors aside, the man still gets his OPINION out to the masses. Even without sponsors “speaking their mind” the rhetoric still reaches the masses….my friend.

• would the sponsors have pulled anything if the people who didnt agree with him just quit listening instead of calling the sponsors to complain and tell them to pull from the show? I refer tomy reply above in this thread.

6. Phillip says:

Fuck Liverpool.

American’s don’t care about Hillsborough. Yeah, it sucks that people died, but other than that we don’t give a shit.

The only thing the terroristic Liverpool supporters have done is deprive American fans of having a show that’s of any quality to listen to on a daily basis. I am now one of the thousands of American fans of this game now that would love to see horrible things happen to that club to punish those stupid fucking supporters.

• Reds69 says:

Exactly the kind of nasty ignorance people have come to expect from American sports fans. Congratulations.

• PABLO says:

Ignorance from American sports fans?
        When was the last time an American sports fan has yelled racist comments at players or mocked the tragedies of an opposing club? English, and European fans in general, have consistantly and enthusiastically expressed xenophobic, racist, and homophobic views during and after the game.
        Also, when was the last time in America that supporters fought and stabbed eachother before and during games? We are much more composed and educated than the average European soccer fan.

• Freddy says:

the real reason he left the air is because of sponsors, not because of this is hate mail, which by the way he has never shown any evidence of. furthermore, you should see some of the things he has done to those boycotting him. he is actually the subject of an FBI investigation (FBI Case #09-796) regarding some of the emails he sent to people who had never sent him anti-semitic emails but simply disagreed with is opinion.

read some of these articles if you don’t believe me. after reading them my perspective totally changed.

the one thing that really bothered me was when he started by saying that [Chelsea CEO] Peter Kenyon, and [Chelsea director of communications] Simon Greenberg are a “disgrace” simply because they said they did not support his views on the tragedy. Chelsea FC are just as entitled to their opinion of Cohen is to his, something he should remember before he spends a whole podcast on ranting about how people are entitled to free speech and freedom of opinion.

and for the record i’m not a LFC support, i’m a proud West Ham man

go hammers

• Eddy says:

This is the horrible thing about this situation, the myopic views of supporters on both sides have created an issue that is almost impossible to resolve.

Yes, Steven’s comments went to far, but so did the actions of those few Liverpool supporters which caused him to cancel the show. I often feel anger at the way Steven portrays his views, but I still listen to the show because I appreciate his right to an opinion and I love Kenny and the show’s correspondents.

At the same time, disgusting comments like those above do nothing to help the show’s cause. I am a Liverpool supporter, and showing hatred towards the entirety of my club, aligns oneself more with the idiotic actions of those who have threatened Steven and his family, than those who believe in the fundamentals of free speech.

It is hurtful to me that I should be associated with these hateful few.

• Ray Curren (orangeorange05) says:

That’s about how most of us feel, I think, to be honest. Who gives a crap what happened 20 years ago? It sucked, but life goes on.

7. immadoittoit says:

Will the podcast be on Itunes???????????

8. Panda says:

In an age when athletes can piss all over tradition and sportsmanship by taking steroids, a simple apology can redeem them. Not completely, but enough to save their reputation. Even if the apology is blank and even if they apologize without giving a reason, a simple sorry with meaning behind it is enough to absolve you and that’s where Cohen screwed up.

$9.95 a month to hear and talk about football is a steep price to pay these days. Sure I’d rather do without crappy Setanta-i and Netflix but these days, there’s so many other avenues for football. Not quite as accessible as WFD, but there are alternatives.

9. Brad says:

I’ve listened to the podcasts the last 2 years. Personally I think the show ended because of financial reasons. This subscription based radio show only confirms my opinion.

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean I can say whatever I want whenever I want and not expect some repercussions.

10. Shakira says:

I hope WFD takes off and does well, I was big fan of WSD. While Cohen gets carried away at times, he was the subject to vile emails from the LFNYC crowd. No one seems to want to talk about how his family was threatened with kidnapping and murder by thugs and how they even stalked him on his honeymoon. While they did have a right to boycott the show, they didn’t have a right to send those types of emails to him, and that was one of the reason for the ending of WSD. It was never enough for the LPNYC crowd, at first they wanted an apology but when it came it wasnt good enough, then he wrote a letter that was much better and it wasnt good enough. Nothing short of him being off the air and WSD ending was good enough for this vile crowd. Very few in that “boycott” crowd then and now have come and said the threats to his family were wrong, there silence says it all. I hope those who sent those emails get the full fury of the law on them and get what is coming to them. Disagreeing is one thing, threating is another and that is exactly the tactic used by these professing Justice for the 96. And no Steven doesnt owe anyone a damn thing other then to be apologized to by those who threatened him and his family but that would mean they would have to take responsibility for thier actions instead of hiding which the cowards wont do.

11. Ranay says:

whatever your thoughts, It DOES make for lively debate. Great article!

12. Will says:

Would people stop using the 1st amendment as an excuse for what Cohen said, because the 1st amendment only protects against GOVERNMENT censorship. What followed his comments was a grassroots response of concerned people and corporate sponsors taking totally legal actions. The government wasn’t involved, so the first amendment is null and void in this situation. It was a civil matter between people.

• Shakira says:

Legal??? Again I ask how is issuing kidnapping and death threats legal in this country, its not! They broke the law when they threatened to kill and kidnap his step-daughters, his wife and himself. That isnt legal, that is illegal and there is no way around that. It amazes me how people rationalize that its ok for these actions to be taken but what Steven said was sooo much worse.

• Evan says:

Do you have evidence of the death threats or the anti-semitic comments that he’s received, or are you just going on what Cohen has said? Normally, I would think it would be out of line to ask someone to prove something like that, but Cohen’s self-promotion and martyr complex knows no bounds.

13. Shakira says:

RationalPOV: You have to be kidding me, so its ok that the LFCNY crowd theated to kidnap his family and kill them, make anti-semtic remarks while issuing threats? That’s ok but its not of for Cohen to say something about it?!?! Where is the rational thought behind that? Steven never claimed to be a journalist, never. It’s people like you who condon the threats, anti-semtic remarks against Steven that make me sick. Its ok for the boycotters to go after his family and him with threats and that is civil disobedience, get a clue that is called a crime. Those who lead this boycott and stood by while knowing these threats were being issued are sad little people and so are people who think that type of behavior is ok, like yourself. This type of thinking makes me hate Liverpool more and more each day. This was never about Justice, this was a pissing contest between Steven to an extent and LFCNYC.

14. Drew says:

Never heard of World Soccer Daily or Cohen until last week but I doubt that people really threatened to kill or kidnap his family. If so why are the police not involved?

If he really was receiving anti-semitic messages why did a large worldwide company like Heineken drop him. Surely he could have shown them the anti=semitic messages and shown Heineken that he was being pursued by a group of racists. No large company would risk dropping this guy if it would look like they were backing down to racists.

• Shakira says:

He has an open case with the FBI over this, the threats were real.

• RationalPOV says:

He also has another open case with the FBI investigating him for intimidation.

• Shakira says:

If you believe that then you need to see a Doctor. Where is the proof that he has been intimidating poor little Tony and his merry band?

• RationalPOV says:

There is a case number that has been quoted by Freddy from on eof the articles. Mr. Cohen has never given us his case number.
            Name calling, eh! Stay classy Cohen supporters:)

15. jleau says:

Rational POV –

Are you seriously comparing this to the Holocaust or Racism in America?
    Hard to see your point with logic that far off base.

• RationalPOV says:

Just as individual freedom is as importatnt as that of a group; so do any incidents , minor or major, where a group has suffered, carry equivalent weight of history.
      I have used those examples because it is easier to relate to them. I could have used Chauri Chaura, Jallianwala Bagh, or Last of The Mohicans as examples but I don’t know how many people would be familiar with those events/stories.

16. Miak says:

Last week i had to call Comcast and downgrade my cable package because of the financial realities of my time.
    I have listened to wsd for the last 4+years and i was royal pissed at Cohen for his absolutely ineptitude in handling this situation. He courted controversy for ratings and while his sycophantic fans gave him succor moral and emotional succor, the organized lfc fans aimed successfully at his pockets. End result, a free show that i enjoyed more than i loathed is gone now to be replaced by a pay to play service.
    Guys, i cut my DVR from Comcast ffs. A dvr is an essential to any footy fan.

Now they ask me to pay 9.95/month to hear 2 hours of babble. Are you kidding me. Personally it is an insult. My sports package, the last and only thing i held onto, costs 5 bucks a month!!!

I think the show will get subscription numbers to be viable, but it will end up with a stagnant fan base and group think will set in, same minds, same ideas, and same thoughts. A homogenous porridge of persons who don’t understand what the 1st amendment means, and the right of others to express their economic freedoms.

17. Bond,James says:

A few things.

Free Speech–Steven Cohen had 100% free speech. It was his show and he could say what he wanted, when he wanted to. All the way to the end.

The consequences to his Free Speech led to the boycott. Simple as.

He was free to call out names on air. He was free, even on his last show, to continue to claim that he stands by his statements. Apologies be damned.

Never were his free speech rights violated.

Threats.– As it is illegal to make threats, then Steven Cohen has every right to go to the law and see that justice is done. I am sure everyone awaits the prosecution and sentencing of those who threatened Steven and his kids.

I suspect Steven Cohen has compiled a case against LFCNY, as he keeps claiming it was their fault, and the law authorities are going to lock up all those who are members.

Then again if Steven never went to the authorities and what he considers threats is nothing but internet warrior emails or posts he has read somewhere, then once again this adds to the dossier on Steven Cohen and his shock jock mentality. Say and exagerate anything you want, have your followers believe every word and offer little proof. It is very simple to find out if Steven had these threats. All Steven has to do is tell the world his case number with the FBI or local authorities. Funny he never has.

So now he will have a subscription based show. Anyone who wants to hear his opinions can certainly go there. Again, that is his right and the right of his listeners.

Others can stay with SiriusXM and listen to the show that replaces WSD. Apparently, there is a new one the same day Steven rushes his into production just a little over a week after saying he wouldn’t be back because of threats. And his family told him he should get back on the air. Wonder what happened to those threats? Some amazing coincidence on the timing of his new show and SiriusXM’s. Nothing to do with Steven finding out his replacement show was going on air.

Oh well, everyone wins. Those that can’t get enough of Steven Cohen know where to find him. Those that want a show on SiriusXM will have one.

Life goes on.

18. eplnfl says:

Let me state several things first:

I am an American
    I am not a Liverpool supporter, I love the EPL, have a few favorites, but support no one team,
    I have been reading and posting here from the conception of the site by Chris,
    I appreciate as a soccer fan what Steve Cohen did to make the game of football/soccer popular in the US,
    I am not a fan of Steve Cohen’s I would listen to his show from time to time or see him on FSC, often because he was the only game in town,
    Steve Cohen would all too often make outrageous comments about many a subject, for instance he held MLS in little regard( maybe valid I know) until he signed on with FSC, and still holds from warm LA that soccer can be played in the Midwest in the winter in dangerous weather conditions,
    Liverpool fans on this site and others I view have more than some other supporters in my humble opinion, made outrageous comments and statements, that is their right,
    When loved ones die in a tragedy, freedom of speech provides that the government can make no law preventing a comment no matter how disrespectful, or as another example you can deny the Holocust with no legal sanction, but what the public may think of you is another matter,
    No matter what insane or sane opinions you hold suggestions of violence and threats made against you are wrong and shameful!

All that being said the game of soccer in this country has passed Steve Cohen by, football is big time now. Like ESPN big time. Steve Cohen had a fan show and a fan’s knowledge, all good btw, but not the stuff professional sportscasting needs now in this new age of soccer.
    Still let me thank Steve Cohen for being brave enough to get out there and shout about the game when no one else would.
    With all that said it is beyond imagination to believe that in these hard times people will pay money to hear basically a fan’s view of the world game and some interviews I presume,
    Steve Cohen stated in his comments on the end of his FSC role that it was all a dream come true for him, so maybe the new show will be another dream come true!

• TR1 says:

By your logic, wouldn’t Sirius satellite radio, Cable, Howard Stern have failed with the plethora free media? I think talent is king and can claim its price if it is good enough and works hard enough in the marketplace. Time for the doing..Competition makes this country as great as it is.

19. anton says:

people die everyday. whooptie doo. the important thing to get from hillsborough is that stadiums should be all seaters always. anywhere there is a crowd standing with drunk people there can be a stampede where people die. if they can sit down, it’s not a problem.

this is just another of the long reasons i hate liverpool fans. they act like only they die. talk about the man united team that died in the plane crash. say it was their fault. who cares? talk about them all you want. i’m not going to boycott you and threating your family.

20. Jameel says:

“Readers must not forget the great EPL Talk Podcast as well. There are other great shows in this country in addition to WSD.”

zing?

considering the first podcast in ages was produced for epl talk a few days after WSD shut down?

21. Jameel says:

By the way I have a case too, FBI case #1024-2421 saying that anyone who puts their business out there over a birthday e-mail and advertises his “case number” all over the place is a bluffer of the highest order.

22. Shakira says:

RationalPOV: You are not supposed to give our case number when it’s active, perhaps just perhaps that is why Steven hasn’t given his out, its still active. Just a thought for you and everyone else who thinks because he hasn’t made it public it doesnt exist.

• Eddie says:

Shakira,

How can we believe it exists when we have seen no proof? Cohen has never presented any shred of evidence that he or anyone even close to him was actually threatened. When he first made those claims the same people who organized the boycott roundly condemned any such alleged activities.

Given Cohen’s known track record of exaggerating the truth and lying why should anyone believe him?

23. odessasteps magazine says:

Hooray for Steven and Kenny for not letting the pro-censorship crowd win.

There are few things I hate more in this world that those who try and take silence a voice to which they don’t disagree.

24. dlink09 says:

good luck steven & kenny..

25. Grant says:

Can we please stop conflating the First Amendment right to Freedom of Speech with the right to say whatever you want. They are different things. Nobody in government was trying to punish Stephen from saying what he wants. That would have violated his First Amendment right to Freedom of Speech. That doesn’t mean anyone has to endorse, pay for, or support what he says either. Anyone who was upset with what he said (I am not among those who have a vendetta against Stephen) had every right to pull their sponsorship, boycott the show or sponsors, and generally be upset with Stephen for what he said. I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart because I disagree with their policies toward their employees, just as one example. While I disagree with what the Liverpool fans did in making a mountain out of a molehill, Stephen acted foolishly as well, and in any case, no one violated anyone’s First Amendment right to Freedom of Speech. It sounds like they might have broken some other laws, however, but that’s another discussion entirely.

• TR1 says:

Grant,

In my opinion, you are splitting hairs. Yes, technically the first amendment protects our speech from the government. But people commonly extend the spirit of the law to protect the right to speech in this country; it’s our first amendment and we cherish it. Steve is a very small entity and could easily fall prey to any hate campaign or otherwise. He stands by his view on principle and anyone could go on his show to call him to tell him he is absolutely wrong and that he is insulting a whole people; but no. I never heard one of these LFC internet warriors trying to make their case to the public through his show. He even offered to dedicate a show to the tragedy as a round table with whoever wanted to discuss it. But it degenerated into threats and so on. For better or worse, Steven chose his path, but people have the right to feel what is an American way of doing things; and that way is not the LFC campaign. Here, we voice our opinion or ignore. Threatening someone for a counter-view is the same chill that descended when the media dared not question Iraq or any other conventional view. My $0.02.

• Eddie says:

Do you think the boycott against Glenn Beck that has cost him advertisers is acceptable? I do. He made outrageous and false accusations, and his advertisers shouldn’t want to spend their money supporting such garbage.

While I didn’t participate in the LFCNY boycott, I believe they had every right to conduct it. No one violated Cohen’s first amendment rights. He had a right to say whatever he wanted. But do you really think all speech is consequence-free? He should be allowed to brag on the air about calling Liverpool fans murderers without being called out? He should be allowed to call the families of the 96 who died “corrupt” for seeking justice without being taken to task?

Boycotts are not un-American and they don’t violate people’s right to free speech. It’s that simple.

• TR1 says:

I don’t like silencing people. I think Glenn Beck is obnoxious, but if you silence him, you make him a martyr, and I don’t like anyone thinking they have the monopoly on the truth. If his arguments are useless, let them fail under their own weight by nit tuning in. It is an advertiser driven show and he will disappear.

26. shanedanger says:

It would seem that the cancellation/ending of WSD was just a PR stunt.

I won’t listen to any show Cohen is a part of. It is disgusting that he whines about his free speech but seems not to want to take any responsibility for WHAT he says. I absolutely gave up on him after he characterized anyone who opposed his spreading lies as terrorists and rallied his supporters under some odd jingoistic banner of USA patriotism.

USA soccer supporters deserve better.

27. Jonny says:

I have been a listener to WSD for about 3 years now as it was the most openly available source of sports talk radio geared towards fans of soccer.
    I grew being a fan of the show because it provided great depth at times with their guests and recaps of the games etc. etc. The whole Liverpool hatred on Steven’s behalf was really excessive and came to a head with the Hillsborough rant. I really believe Steven started off a conversation about it and got heated, then just spoke what was in his mind. The rest is history.

Cohen was never deprived of his Free Speech. He didn’t get arrested or pulled off the air. He pulled the show off the air himself. You honestly think Steven Cohen got more death threats than either Don Imus or Glenn Beck? No, he quit… he let the “terrorists” win.

Steven Cohen somehow ends up on top when all the dust has settled.
    -He accomplished creating a disdain for Liverpool fans and their football club to many fans of the show by pushing all blame off himself onto them.
    -He now will have a subscription based show where everyone who decides to purchase the show will be lining their pockets now. If the same people who got him off the air before try again they can do so, but at a price.

28. Matt says:

Steven Cohen had no proof to back up his statements and brewed himself a shit storm. The worst part to me, is how Cohen has pushed all blame off himself and onto others. It’s the ultimate in irony really. Cohen claims the Liverpool fans won’t take responsibility in any wrong doing at Hillsborough but yet won’t take any responsibility in his own show’s demise. His strong opinion about Liverpool in general beyond Hillsborough was inappropriate for someone running a prominent sports talk show. If Cohen were say Colin Cowherd, Jim Rome, or any other popular sports radio host and said the same thing they would be suspended or fired.

29. Bond, James says:

I really do laugh at the attempts to make Steven Cohen at the victim.

He said, even on his last show, that Liverpool fans share responsibility in the deaths at Hillsborough. Which means he claims that they helped kill their own. And people wonder why Liverpool fans are upset. I suspect Manchester United fans would be upset if they were blamed for killing their own as well. Same as any sets of fans.

And for Shakira, with an ongoing investigation by the FBI you can release the FBI case number. You can’t release the details. Legally the FBI have to give out the case number when investigating. This isn’t a Communist country you know.

• timmyg says:

wow, people on this thread need a journalism 101 course.

you don’t go to cohen and say “PROVE YOUR BEING INVESTIGATED!!!!” and when he doesn’t, have that prove your point about him making stuff up.

call up the FBI or the LAPD and ask THEM. They won’t comment on the details of the investigation, but will comment on whether or not there is one to begin with. Chances are this is out of the LA office, so here’s their info: http://losangeles.fbi.gov/contact.htm.

additionally in an examiner article, he said he couldn’t get the police involved because they cannot deal with or act on anonymous threats unless it explicit like “i am going to attack you at 3am on tuesday september 1.” (http://www.examiner.com/x-4128-Boston-Pro-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m8d28-Steven-Cohen-talks-about-mob-mentality-tribal-allegiances-and-American-soccer-fans-Part-2-of-2).

and with all the references to don imus and glenn beck — they at least had conglomerates to hide behind. even if sponsors left them directly, they were still sponsoring FOX or whatever, which got funneled back to them so ultimately nothing changed. cohen was independent. and as a result, it hurt exponentially more.

• Eddie says:

Sorry, Timmyg, but this has nothing to do with journalism. When Cohen goes on the air and claims he has been threatened and specifically says it’s Liverpool fans that are doing it, then the onus is on him to provide proof that that is indeed the case.

• timmyg says:

not necessarily eddie, and perhaps this is coming from a former journalist.

it sounds crazy, but the onus is not on him. its on you, or the gaffer, or LFCNY, or even the media outlets covering the story as caring individuals.

people claim things that they never support — regardless if they are true or completely ridiculous — all the time.

so how do you find out if its true or not? do you just sit back and say “well, they’re not proving it so its automatically incorrect” to yourself?

no. you research it. you ask the appropriate sources. you do more than just calling their bluff.

its a method that working as a reporter taught me, something that no one seems bothered to practice.

• Eddie says:

Private citizens are not journalists. It is most certainly not up to me, LFCNY, or any other person who doesn’t believe Steve Cohen to call the FBI or police and ask them questions.

Obviously, the line between blogs and news sources has been blurred over the years. I always urge people to be cautious when assuming a blog is a news source.

Cohen has a proven track record of lying and exaggerating.

Did you know that when he and his proxy (Marc Sawyer) were asked if they knew for sure that the alleged threats had come from LFC supporters, the answer came back that no, they didn’t know that and couldn’t prove it. Yet, Cohen used his bully pulpit to claim that was the case. Why would he do that?

You know, when the boycott was first announced I thought the LFC supporters were going to far. But as Cohen made more outrageous statements and more of the communications between him, his proxy, Mel Abshier, LFCNY, etc. became public, I came to believe that he couldn’t be trusted and was playing his listeners for suckers.

30. Abby says:

Sirius XM is in debt. Free podcasts don’t make anyone money. I stand by my belief that Cohen blew up everything as much as he could so he could get out of both and go to a model where he could make more money. He’s been playing everyone, Liverpool fans and his support alike, so he could look like a martyr and get what he wants.

(I’m a Hertha Berlin fan, it’s all meaningless to me.)

31. Bud says:

I find it a bit ironic to read an EPL Talk article expressing remorse for the demise of WSD when they played a pivotal role in bringing about said demise. Certainly, EPL Talk backed out of the boycott once things got obsessive on the LFC end and after Cohen issued an apology, but nonetheless, EPL Talk was one of the first to incite this boycott to begin with.

As to WFD, I have mixed feelings. I have a lifetime account with Sirius which has been paid for a long time ago. So really, for me to dish out $10 a month at this point means that I’d actually have to personally alter my financial behavior to appease liverpool fans. I find that objectionable given LFC’s disgusting behavior in this boycott. So, as much as I loved the WSD community, I don’t know where I stand on WFD. I will listen to today’s last free podcast and then decide what I’m gonna do.

The bottom line is basically, Liverpool are scum and are damaged goods in the US. Fucked up a great community in the US for purely selfish reasons.

Cheers.

• Ryan says:

I agree. EPL Talk did play a pivotal role. I assume, they are trying to stay objective, but it didn’t seem that way with the original article.

I don’t agree at all with how Cohen handled this from the beginning. It is his opinion, and he should of kept it to himself. I’ve been a listener for two years, I really like the show, and I genuinely missed it last week.

Like many others, I will listen today and decide. I think, that if he would of just issued a genuine apology, several days after the statement and not wait several months, then we would have a completely different scenario.

I am not a Liverpool supporter, but if I had heard the same apology, I would of been irate. It was a joke.

At the same time, I would of just stopped listening as opposed to organizing a boycott, that affects the larger audience, who listen to the show.

I understand, that LFC supporters didn’t want him spreading his “lies,” but this could of been handled differently by all parties involved….

• The Gaffer says:

Bud, the article about the demise of WSD wasn’t written by me. It was written by another EPL Talk writer who may not necessarily share the same viewpoints as I do.

Ryan, I remained very objective in the original article and shared with readers what Cohen said and pointed out how incorrect he was, and backed that up with evidence.

32. Gaz says:

It seems like this is just getting beaten down and down and down. But here we go again…

The real story here is that this proves this had NOTHING to do with “threats” and all to do with the loss of revenue due to advertisers dropping his show. He needed some other way to support the show and this is one good way to do that. Good on him for finding a creative way to get around the problem but shame on him for playing up the threats.

Yes, I’m sure a few idiots took this too far by sending emails that were… well – idiotic. They should be punished and are vile people. However, I would put money on the fact that the majority of the people in opposition to him did so in a lawful and respectful way.

Please listen to me people – he’s lying to you to get himself out of a situation he caused himself. It is not “disgraceful” to send an email explaining why you are upset with a person’s remarks. It is not a “terrorist tactic” to contact a sponsor to let them know that you aren’t going to buy products. It is “disgraceful”, however, to call people “terrorists” just because they don’t agree with you and don’t just let it go. In fact, it’s 100% John-effing-Wayne-American to exercise your right to protest.

33. Matt in MA says:

This is in response to RationalPov’s comments.

“RationalPOV August 30, 2009 at 5:57 pm

“unpopular view of an event”
    2.Would saying that Dr. King was associated with communists and all of the civil right movement was communist propaganda be an unpopular view of the event?”

-Yes, those would be unpopular views of an event, but hardly on the level of Cohen’s comments. And, if an American journalist made those comments, I wouldn’t be boycotting him. If I were among the parties injured, I would sue his or her ass.

“Now imagine an American in , say , Lithuania(arbitrary choice) having a very popular show on American history ,holding view2, and using the airwaves to disseminate his view(very widely held opinion at the time, and having more followers than it should even now). Reaction??
    I am glad LFCNY didn’t bring up a lawsuit. They protested in a a very civil manner and did not show-boat(unlike Mr. Cohen who babbled on about anti-semitism.How pathetic!) Mahatma Gandhi didn’t bring up a lawsuit against the British empire. It was called civil disobedience.”

-Your comparison of LFCNY’s boycott to Gandhi’s nonviolent resistance to the British Empire is laughable. Seriously, you think they’re even remarkably similar? Maybe you could go one step further and relate LFCNY’s protest to Henry David Thoreau’s refusal to pay taxes because it made him implicitly condone slavery. Cohen made comments that rubbed you the wrong way. You have ever right to boycott his show and harass his sponsors, but if he “lied” or made “libelous claims” as boycottstevecohen.com claims, then you should have sued him. By not taking that path, you’re just proving that this whole thing was silly.

“No one pulls their ads because they are being harassed. Some views are too despicable to associate with. Ask Glenn Beck.”

-Yeah, the Glenn Beck situation is the standard by which boycotts should be judged. What do Heinkein, Four Four Two, or any of those other sponsors care about Hillsborough? How does it affect them? You do realize that in this country, money talks and not political beliefs or outrageous statements (see Stern, Howard).

“The man was entertaining, when he was within bounds. Good luck to him. His views needed to be called out. Kudos to The Gaffer for that. He lost his sponsors and his show , because he acted like a fanboy rather than a journalist.
    I am told people still make a hissing sound at Yids. I don’t think making fun of the 96 who lost their lives is any worse. It is in the same category as making aeroplane sounds when ManYoo are taking a corner. Such folks don’t deserve to be on the air waves.”

- I don’t begrudge EPLtalk for reporting it. Not that it really needs saying, but the Gaffer did the right thing by reporting it. Journalists, in this country at least, are supposed to be 100% objective (although from its beginnings in the United States, journalism has been a completely subjective enterprise–did you know that Sam Adams began as a journalist?).

It’s not really about being upset over Cohen’s comments, it’s claim that his comments were so deeply offensive. He didn’t say anything close to what Don Imus or Glenn Beck said. Commenting on Hillsborough is not the same as denying the Holocaust or calling MLK Jr. a communist. His comments were stupid and annoying and that’s it.

34. Jake says:

Cohen’s unsupported claims of intimidation and threats would be a lot more credible if he didn’t declare his duplicity openly with this announcement. He claimed WSD went off the air because he and his family were being subjected to threats.

Yet, one week later he has returned with a pay podcast.

If this was not about receiving threats he wouldn’t be returning. He lied. It was about a successful boycott, a traditional, legal form of the Free Speech that Cohen attempts to use to immunize himself from criticism. He has repeatedly lied and as such there is little reason to believe that his claims of an avalanche of death threats to a two-bit media personality were based in something more than his pathological lies or anything more than his attempts to portray himself as a victim.

Indeed, if he could not go on last week because of this threat to his step-children, how could he love his new step-children so little as to subject them to this again on a whim. After all, he supposedly decided to do this new show in the one week they were gone. If the threats were as troubling and not simply the inventions of a man full of hate and empty of honest self-examination as he claimed they were, what made him so ready to reverse his decision a scant few days after he claimed it was far too much to handle?

35. randomsausage says:

Do we really need a daily footie podcast? I must admit I’ve gotten used to the weekly round-ups and getting my daily news via FSC and the Interwebs.

I’m not sorry that Cohen’s gone from the footie mainstream. Actually I’m wondering if his kind of partisan “commentary” really has any use at all. I’d rather listen to the insane but informed cynicism of the Guardian football weekly podcast than Cohen’s micro-thin knowledge of the game.

As soon as a commentator publicly comes out for a Big4 team, I automatically shut them out….because you know what crap is going to come from them.

36. Mack (Chicago) says:

Glad he is back and glad that he took the suggestions of so many supporters as to how he should proceed.

It will be subscription based. Many listeners subscribed to Sirius just for that program. It was one of the top downloaded podcasts. It will have support.

I listen to Chappers, and 606 and the Guardian podcast and they all provide something valuable. World Soccer Daily had evolved to try and bring the listeners great perspective from experts who could talk in a conversational style and relate to the US audience. Great for us and great for them as their popularity in the states as football journalists expanded rapidly.

Any new business model is a tough go but this one has a built in fan base. My expectation is that it will succeed for Cohen and Hassan

• Gaz says:

Someone already brought this up but it’s worth it to do again…

Yes, he may be successful with this model but don’t you think it’ll be a little “preaching to the choir”? Only people that agree with him and share his viewpoints enough to shell out money will listen.

In short, it’ll become stale.

37. Joe says:

1. Cohen claimed he received an antisemitic email from an “official” member of the LFC supporters club and read it out on air. He asserted that as such the blame lay at the feet of the LFCNY, Hicks and Gillet, and anyone associated with the boycott for “condoning” it. When asked through a mediator to provide the details of the person who sent the supposed email, in order that the perpetrator could be rooted out and shamed by LFCNY – nothing. No information was provided.

2. Shakira, I have a question for you. If the reason the show was closed down was because of threats, why start a new one three days later? See point 1.

3. It’s wasn’t an opinion. It offered no logic, no substance, no intelligence, no reason to back it up, and no evidence.

4. Those calling the boycott unamerican are idiots. It’s about as American as you can get. Peaceful protest, and exercising one’s rights as a consumer is what this country was founded on. Oh, and WSD fans threatening to boycott sponsors that had deserted him is fine too. Just massively hypocritical.

5. The way Cohen has behaved throughout this saga has left me speechless. With every new development, he sinks deeper and deeper. Lower and lower. The extent of the lies are genuinely shocking. Accusing LFC’s fans, across the board, of being antisemitic, is just about as disgusting as it gets, even forgetting everything else (which we won’t). More disturbing than the fact that the claim is self evidently false and laughable, is the fact that he was prepared to use something so terrible, something with such horrific, tragic echoes, because some sponsors thought his tin pot radio show, in particular what he said, was offensive.

Jake, Gaz, rationalPOV and others are totally, totally correct.

• Shakira says:

Why did he start a new show? A letter came from the oh so innocent boycotters who did nothing wrong of course stating that if Cohen wanted to start a new football show NOT under the WSD banner they would not boycott or interfere with it. His family also told him to get back on the air and not let the threats force him away. That is why Joe.

Let me ask you this, if the purpose of the boycott was to get Steven and his “lies” off the air then why say its ok to start a new program with the same person, who believes the same thing when the old program was too vile for the airwaves. Its the same friggin show yet now its ok to be on.

Point 3 Joe, an opinion is just that an opinion, it doesnt have to be based on facts or logic that is why its an opinion and not a factual statement. Thought that was pretty clear.

Point 4, its the fact that many in the boycott circle called American football fans sheep to what Cohen said and totally uninformed about the tragedy. As if we are incapable of doing our own research about Hillsbrough and take what Steven said as gospel which many did not. If you come to the WSD Boards you will that fact very plainly but most on here won’t, its easier to lump us all together.

I didn’t agree at all with what Steven said about Hillsbrough, made that clear to all I talk to who listen to WSD. I have no issue with a boycott but I’m sorry I do believe Steven when he says he and his family were threatend by members of the boycott, I am sure fringe members but still. You don’t give out active FBI case file numbers so if people are using that as an excuse to say he is lying you must not know how that works. Anything else you would like to know about the situation Joe just let me know.

• Joe says:

Shakira

“Why did he start a new show? A letter came from the oh so innocent boycotters who did nothing wrong of course stating that if Cohen wanted to start a new football show NOT under the WSD banner they would not boycott or interfere with it.”

Wait – so you think that the people organising the boycott were the same people sending “threats”. How difficult is this to grasp? Seriously?

“I didn’t agree at all with what Steven said about Hillsbrough”

It took a very long time to present the evidence to you and others to undo the harm Cohen’s lies caused. To quote your good self…

“Point is, its hardly an outrage to believe that Liverpool fans where partly responsible, its a very plausible opinion thats shared by many”

“an opinion is just that an opinion, it doesnt have to be based on facts or logic”

You demonstrate that with every single post you’ve made on this subject. You have repeatedly blamed everybody connected with the boycott for any alleged threats and said that you hate LFC fans. That is the definition of bigotry.

“I do believe Steven when he says he and his family were threatend by members of the boycott”

Which members?

Enjoy WFD – you are without question the target demographic.

• Shakira says:

I disagreed with Cohen about Hillsborough from day one, on the WSD message boards I have many a Liverpool friend who talked to me rationally about it and let me know the facts a couple years ago. So when he said what he did, I knew he was wrong. You have no idea how many of us knew the truth about the tragedy and who didn’t, way to make a blanket statement.

I don’t hate all LFC supporters, as I stated, I have many who are friends via the WSD message boards who are nice, good people. I can’t stand those who used threats to get Cohen off the air. As for being a paying member of WFD, sorry I won’t pay for it as I have a kid due in 3 weeks. I have better things to do with my money. I enjoyed WSD but as a fan of a team in the Coca-Cola Championship, I did get tired of the lack of respect and coverage. You might also be surprised at how many Liverpool fans I know are at least giving Cohen another chance and WFD a chance as well.

38. Ylwjkt says:

It’s amazing reading the passion on both sides! I have liked WSD for a long time it’s entertaining and informative. I don’t profess to know a ton about the Hillsborough disaster but 96 people losing their lives is a massive event, I understand there are thousands of people out there that lost Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters and friends. Every English Club and most big clubs around the world for that matter have their share or fringe lunatics and LFC is no different. I do believe the death threats are true and the incendiary emails from LFC supporters and my guess it would be a very small group of them that would have the hatred to do such a thing, it gives LFC a horrible reputation, my neighbor is horrified by their behavior and he is a true LFC supporter. I have seen some completely outrageous statements in this thread namely comparing a stadium collapse to systematic Genocide…really how could anyone with any ounce of a conscience compare the two events?

39. AtlantaPompey says:

The lies, half-truths, rumors, rumors of rumors, and (my personal favorite) statistics being thrown about concerning Steven Cohen and this whole controversy reminds me of a lot of the way we debate things these days: whoever screams loudest and last must be right, therefore, scream loud and repeatedly.

Steven Cohen, whatever his motives may be, stuck his foot in his mouth and is having to deal with the consequences of what he said. Has he dealt with it properly? Probably not. I think he could have done better: taken the high road more often, for instance.

Did LFC participate in death threats? Of course not. Did officially sanctioned boycotts and protests result in things being said that shouldn’t have been said? Absolutely. The infantile banter on most bulletin boards makes my middle school students look mature.

EPLNFL hit the nail on the head when wrote that Steven Cohen is more of a fan with a show than a journalist with a show and should be treated as such. Different standards apply when talking about journalists and editorials. Steven, while he does possess a plethora of information, is primarily there to spout opinion. The more controversial he can make it, the more entertaining the show could be to some. You don’t think Rush Limbaugh tries to push the envelope as well? Of course he does. He’s an expert at pushing the envelope. Steven Cohen: not so much.

His show includes lots of guest pundits, such as Tim Vickery, which I really enjoy hearing. Occasionally the callers will have something pertinent to say. Kenny and Steven both have prepared talking points that are interesting. We are completely awash in opportunities to listen to, watch, discuss, debate, argue, etc about the game we all love. If Steven Cohen’s brand of show is not for you, then I’m sure there are others out there that you can listen to.

As for me, I haven’t decided whether he’s worth paying to listen to on a regular basis. I might try it and see. I might not. I’ll make that decision soon. I will assume you’re not holding your breath awaiting my decision.

• eplnfl says:

Thanks for the mention AP, you are right saying the whole thing sounds a little too much like the health care debate! Scream first worry about facts later.

From some of the most recent remarks I would just suggest this to the Liverpool fans, you have a just complaint about the remarks made by Steve Cohen, you lose your point when you make rants at Steve Cohen and his show. Keep your arguments rational. At this point just say that no fan or interested person should listen in or pay him for his opinions.

40. Huh? says:

Can someone explain to me that, if World Soccer Daily is finished, why does Sirius have this posted on their site?

World Soccer Daily

Nick Geber and Keith Costigan bring their unique humor to the world’s game with a world point of view. From Europe to Africa to South America; to The Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Champions League, the World Cup and Copa Libertadores, you’ll get the day’s breaking stories from the most globalized football show on the planet.

41. Huh2? says:

They even have write-ups for Nick and Keith:

Nick Geber
    Orignally from London, England, Nick Geber has been an innovator in broadcasting for more than seven years. Perhaps best known as co-host of World Soccer Weekly and World Soccer Daily, Nick was also TV co-host of Fox Football Friday and Fox Football Fone-In on the Fox Soccer Channel.

Keith Costigan
    A native of Dublin, Ireland, Keith Costigan played soccer for clubs such as Luton Town and the Portland Timbers before settling in Los Angeles as the wise-cracking barman on the weekly call-in show, Fox Football Friday, and later served as co-host of Super Saturday, alongside Nick Webster. He’s also a regular on Fox’s Barclays Premier League and Serie A telecasts.

42. Evertonian says:

The Red Shite have always been scum
    Now at least you can see the SCUM that they are, right here on this board!

• shanklyboy says:

It’s refreshing to see a bitter blue raising the intellectual standards of the posts with such an enlightening, thought provoking contribution.
      Incredible then that some of those that died at Hillsborough had family and friends that were blues.
      A bitter and twisted mind set tends to produce a certain amount of selected emnesia….. Easily forgotten that isn’t it?
      I’ll keep your thoughts firmly at the front of my mindregarding who is and isn’t scum,when I’m at the next derby and watching people from my own city doing their ‘hands across the face’ or ‘wall pushing’ gestures. Or even the hilarious singing of ‘murderers’ and waving copies of the S**

How does the song go….”We don’t care what the redshite say”.
      Ahhhh if only that were true.

43. Johnny C says:

The guy was always and will always be his own worst enemy. I was a listener of the show and at times it was very very good. However, over the past two years it has become nothing more than a bully pulpit for Cohen.

Flat out, the guy is simply not marketable… or I should say “is only marketable up to a point.”

He was only ever going to build the program so far before it needed new leadership. Sooner or later Fox’s football ambitions in the States were going to push him out, or Cohen was going to put his foot in his mouth for the umpteenth time before sponsors actually took a stand. As it turned out the latter happened before the former, but make no mistake, Cohen was not going to be the guy to take Fox Football Fone In or WSD to the next level.

You are giving this loudmouth WAYYYYYYY too much credit.

44. TR1 says:

The problem with boycotting Glen beck by going sfter his advertisers is people thinking they have the monopoly on the truth, and also creating a martyr. If you say nothing when they go after him, they may come after you next time.

45. Mack says:

Something has bothered me about this whole mess from the beginning. What was the logic behind the impressively organized, motivated, and quite successful campaign to destroy this show? Is it that the destruction of the show would honor the 96 who tragicly passed away? What does that accomplish? It seems like destruction arising from destruction.

Do you think these departed souls would feel good about the destruction of this show (not to mention the alleged tactics that have been targeted at Cohen and his family)? If I were one of these people who tragicly died, I would be extremely sad that such turmoil, ugliness, anger, and negative events had transpired “on my behalf.” What has happened would not honor me.

If the motivation behind this campaign was truly focused on correctly honoring those who passed away, then surely educating the audience who were exposed to the alleged untruths would be a far more logical and constructive course of action. Wouldn’t diverting the impressive energy and organization that has been put into destroying the show towards, for example, a mass caller campaign that would bombard the show with lucid, calm, informed callers, all of whom would engage Cohen (and therefor his audience) in reasonable, civil educated discusssion of the issues at hand. If he’s wrong, surely the truth will prevail, and all of the misinformed audience will have been exposed to the truth. This would honor those who died. An educated, civil discussion of what happened on the day when they tragicly died. Truth, cooperation, civility, constructive.

Going to such lengths to silence, punish, and intimidate those involved with the show, rather than to attempt to spread the “truth” could be interpreted as the actions of people who have something to hide. I’m not sure what to make of all this.

It could also stem from the truly terrible things that have been written and said in the English press (not to mention the horrific headlines and pictures in the Sun, etc. following that horrible day) about the events at Hillsbrough. This kind of illogical response could understandably rise from the terrible pain and anger caused by some sections of the media and public in England in the past regarding the tragedy.

I’m not entirely sure what to make of all this. What I am certain of is that the logic behind the response to Mr. Cohen’s comments is fundamentally flawed.

Anyone else feel this way?

• shanklyboy says:

The logic behind the campaign Mack was simply to remove Cohen from his platform.
      What has to be remembered is that this all started way back in 2006 not 2009,when Cohen made his first comments about Hillsborough. He apologised after complaints to FFF and his apology was accepted at face value. There was no boycott, no ‘hate’campaign, no ‘anti-Semitism’, no ‘death threats’. Why do you think that was? Do you think that those capable of such perverse acts simply saw the light and decided Cohen wasn’t worthy of their venom at that point?

When he began again he was inundated with angry but polite requests to apologise or substantiate his claims. Neither was forthcoming.

It was never the intention to remove WSD from the air, contrary to what Cohen and his supporters will claim. The ultimate decision to remove it was Cohen’s. His motivation being the threats to his family and the fear of ’someone being killed’.
      This fear had dispelled less than a week later however as he started again with WFD.
      Did he suddenly believe that the mindless idiots would suddenly stop the threats? Did he think by changing the name of his show it would miraculously eradicate any potential loss of life?

The campaign hasn’t been fought to seek Justice for those that died nor to honour them.
      However when Cohen states that those outside the stadium in the crush were the ‘root cause’ of the disaster, one has to realise that there were people outside in the crush at the turnstiles that died on the terrace. In some cases friends entering with friends, Fathers entering with sons. He is stating that a Father is responsible for the death of his son simply because they entered the stadium through Gate ‘C’ when it was opened.

Many fans attempted to get through onto his show to put a case forward however Cohen controlled the mute button and consistently cut people off. This happened to such an extent that a decision was taken whereby Liverpool fans were eventually urged not to call into his show.
      It was felt that the only way a rational discussion could take place would be one where Cohen was under as much moderation as everyone else. Where he didn’t control anything but his own mouth. This never materialised.

Education was and still is attempted as it always has been for 20 years.
      The difficulty has been the support Cohen has received , has in the main agreed with his views or his right to state them. It never ceases to amaze that so many people, who didn’t have the first idea about Hillsborough, who had no interest in it, suddenly had the exact same views about what happened that day and specifically, about The Taylor Report as Cohen did.
      There have been some with an open mind who have been educated, so in some ways it has been a moral victory albeit a small one.
      So an educated, civil discussion of what happened on the day was never going to be a viable option
      You mention the truth prevailing. We live in hope that this is the case and in time more people will come to see the facts for what they are.

As for us having something to hide. I find that an incredible statement.
      There has been a 20 year old battle to have ‘the truth’ heard, either in the law courts or via another independent review.
      Do you think that if there was one iota of guilt to be attributed to Liverpool supporters on that day , that the Interim Taylor Report wouldn’t have highlighted it or so many guilty supporters would have fought so long and hard to have their ‘guilt’ unearthed?

• Gaz says:

You bring up some good questions. Let me try…

First, I don’t think the destruction of the show was never really an intention of the boycott. It was, however, an intention to let as many people (and sponsors) know that they didn’t like the hurtful / incorrect comments being made.

I’m not sure if the 96 dead would care if his show was around or not… though I’m sure they are happy when people know what really happened. The father and daughter that were killed that day were not the “ticket less fans hell-bent on causing destruction” that he describes. I’m sure they’re happy that people stood up to someone that was saying malicious things about innocent people.

The problem with trying to call into his show and engage him in an intelligent debate is the same problem democrats face when trying to face Bill O’Reilly in an intelligent debate.

Lastly, most (if not all) of the English press have since apologized and come around to reason (Sun, BBC, etc).

And again… I feel like I always have to say this (and no one ever listens). There was probably a few idiots that didn’t do this the right way. I emphasize a FEW. They are idiots and vile. What these few did is far worse than what Steven has done. It still doesn’t excuse him, though.

Hope I helped.

46. Jason says:

Hey can anybody tell me how if they subscribe to foxsoccer.tv? I am about to cut my cable Tv for financial reasons. And I think this might be a good alternative?

1) Are there buffering/interuption problems with the games?
    2) Are you able to fast forward or rewind games at your convience. Such as how a normal windows media player file works?
    3) Do the customer service people reply back to any questions you have? I hope that they could air Fox Football Fone In on that site for instance.

47. Ryan says:

Gaffer,
    Has there been any more news about a new WSD? I saw your Tweet about the Sirius page, so I was wondering, if there has been any more info leaked?

48. PABLO says:

At this point the FBI could care fuck all about whatever case numbers are involved. They think this whole thing is a joke and will brush it under the rug?

49. boldsoul says:

It is anti-American to want take someone off the air simply because they sate their opinion on controversial subjects. I would be willing to bet there is big part of the British people, in Britain, who feel the same way he does about Hillsborough and the responsibility that Liverpool supports share for the deaths that accord. He did his duty as radio talk show entertainer and put his opinion out there to drive calls in to his show. That is what he is supposed to do….It’s his job. I don’t understand why Liverpool supports are allowed to control the conversation on these matters. It seems rather fascist and that perhaps explains all the red flag waving at the matches.

• Gaz says:

Read what you wrote a few more times.

If we’re being honest here…

Calling things unpatriotic just because it doesn’t suit your world-view is much more of a fascist stance than protesting. Period.

50. Joe says:

boldsoul

There is a glaring contradiction in your last post, and in the position Cohen has adopted.

It is contradictory and hypocritical on the one hand to say – “I am only stating my opinion” and on the other hand say “you do not have the right to boycott my show”.

Cohen has repeatedly blamed the peaceful boycott for indirectly “inciting” the extremist messages he has allegedly received, whilst at the same time saying that he has the right to say whatever he likes, which he does. But he can’t then go and blame a third party if he receives nasty emails.

Is the glaring hypocrisy not obvious? Let me spell it out once more. Cohen has a problem with the boycott/LFC/ChelseaFC/Hicks/Gillet/Heineken etc, because he believes that they are indirectly encouraging, merely by existing, any unsavory correspondence/alleged racism he has received. Yet, at the same time, he claims that he has every right to his opinion, whatever that may be. The point is he DOES have the right to state an opinion, and if he was the victim of a threat he DOES have the right to prosecute those people and complain about it. But he cannot blame the vast majority of civil, reasonable people, i.e. the boycotters and LFCNY etc, if someone else takes a more extreme position because of what he said.

I don’t know if there is any way to make this more clear for some people. There is a complete lack of logic behind Cohen’s position and it’s amazing how many people fall for it. Not only is it totally illogical and hypocritical, it’s based on a false premise – that somehow the boycott is to blame for whatever threats he claims to have been the victim of. Even if this were not false, it is still utterly hypocritical to use the defence that it was only his opinion. That’s fine but the protesters are only protesting. By Cohen’s logic, and the logic of anyone defending him on here, any and every protest in the history of the world is wrong and unamerican, regardless of what it is for.

And boldsoul – you won’t find many people in Britain with the view you mention, certainly nobody who has read the Taylor report. And I like your point about how only Liverpool supporters “control the conversation”. An international “broadcaster” with a platform to shoot his mouth off every single day versus the boycott, who have precisely zero platforms on wich to boradcast the truth, save for their own website.

• boldsoul says:

I know many people in britain who off the record feel exactly the same way as cohen. My introduction to the english game came with this warning…”do not support liverpool. they kill people”. not making this stuff up….

51. Dsimm says:

Looking forward to WFD. I would gladly at the subscription
    price, if the show were nothing more than continuous replays of
    audio from Ivanovich’s two headers in the Champions league. Never
    underestimate the power of envy!

52. Think Free says:

Liverpool Supporters are anti-America and anti-football in this country. They never once thought of American Soccer Fans during this ‘bigoted campaign’. They repeatedly slag off American as ‘Yanks’ And keep telling us all how stupid we are because we don’t ‘understand Hillsborough. What we learned is Liverpool are basically hooligans with strong fascist overtones. As an American I am deeply offended by these immigrants who come into this country and spread hate and racism in the name of “justice’. It’s a sham and they are now found out!

53. Shakira Graham says:

Wow I’m shocked he is talking out his ass about this. He and Cohen used to be buddy buddy before all this crap started so Tony is using that as fodder for his “Alleged FBI” case. What others may or may not know Tony came on the WSD Boards under another name and started saying “(96 isn’t enough) and other crap like that. He was found out by our mods and banned from the board. This is the man the boycotters love to praise for his actions. Ya some hero he is.

54. Joe says:

ThinkFree

“Liverpool Supporters are anti-America and anti-football in this country. They never once thought of American Soccer Fans during this ‘bigoted campaign’.”

Except that this “bigoted campaign” was run by fans who live in America. I also live in America, and I support it. Must make me Anti American.

“As an American I am deeply offended by these immigrants who come into this country and spread hate”

Haha – you sure your name is ThinkFree? Immigrants? “come into this country”?

Come on ThinkFree, that’s not you real name is it? Step forward Senator Joseph McCarthy.

And yes you are stupid.

• Think Free says:

Typical Liverpool supporters condescending and arrogant. Can’t say that I am surprised this whole campaign has been Liverpool supporters ramming it down all of our throats how ‘right’ they are. It’s offensive and has moved the Sport backwards. LFCY and other Internet Hooligans are determined to keep this Sport in the Shankly era.

It’s a wonder that you have not won any titles in the Premier League because of this false fascination with the past. Cmon Liverpool supporters .. tell me how dumb and stupid I am because I disagree with you. It’s par for the course… you flood every chat board and bully everyone with your opinions.

Clearly Liverpool Supporters are smarter than the rest of us.. it’s a joke

ThinkFree

55. Big United says:

Been to a lot of websites and I have asked the same questions over and over again, what did he say that was so wrong??? Never once did somebody give me a reasonable answer. He never said the fans that died were at fault or to blame, he merely pointed out that that the ticketless fans at the game have blame in what happened. You have to be of below average intelligence to think that they didn’t have a fault in it.

56. Big United says:

This is what he said, can somebody point out what was wrong about this… “People showing up without ticket, hell bent in getting into somewhere where they shouldn’t be going because they don’t have tickets, is the root cause of [the Hillsborough Disaster].”

“I’m yet to read anybody write in this weekend’s Sunday papers in England, where they’re all doing big commemorations about the 96, and why we should never forget and how it’s changed the game, nobody discusses the 6-8,000 who showed up without tickets and my argument has always been, if those people don’t show up, this never happens.”

“[Hillsborough] is a stadium that week-in week-out, Sheffield Wednesday used without incident.”

57. Joe says:

Big United

The Taylor Report is exhaustive and authoritative

Here are the key extracts with regards to your point

Ticketless fans

“The possibility of fans attempting to gain entry without tickets or with forgeries contributing to the disaster was also suggested. South Yorkshire Police also suggested that the late arrival of fans amounted to a conspiracy in order to gain entry without tickets. However, analysis of the electronic monitoring system, Health and Safety Executive analysis and eyewitness accounts showed that the total number of people who had already entered the Leppings Lane End was far below the capacity of the stand. Additionally, eye witness reports suggested that tickets were easily available on the day of the game, and that tickets for the Leppings Lane End were still on sale from Anfield until the day before the game. The report dismissed the conspiracy theory.”

Paragraph 200
    “the police witnesses who most impressed me did not consider the number of ticketless fans to be inappropriately large. This accords with two other sources of evidence.”

Paragraph 201
    “First, there was a wide range of witnesses who observed inside the ground that the Liverpool end was at a late stage well below capacity save for pens 3 and 4. ..wing pens were sparse…The match being a sell out, there were clearly many ticket holders to come, and they could account for the large crowd still outside the turnstiles. Had the liverpool end been full by 2.40pm one could have inferred that much or most of the large crowd outside lacked tickets.”

Paragraph 202
    “Secondly, such figures as are available from the clubs electronic monitoring system and from analyses by the HSE suggests that no great number entered without tickets. They show that the number who passed through turnstiles A to G plus those who had entered through the gate C roughly equalled the terrace capacity for which tickets had been sold…. The figures do suggest that there was not a very significant body of ticketless fans in the crowd which built up.”

Onto the claim that the stadium had been used without such incidents…

check out this link http://pseudscorner.blogspot.com/2009/04/earlier-hillsborough-disaster-margin.html

As to what really caused the disaster, the answer is that people were crowded into central pens, whilst the side pens remained empty.

Paragraph 44
    “Those entering through turnstiles A to G had three options once inside the ground. They could by moving to the right go round the south end of the west stand and gain entry into pens 1 and 2. They could go through the gap in the dividing wall towards the concourse behind turnstiles 11 to 16 and then round the north end of the west stand into pens 6 and 7. However there were no conspicuous signs inviting them to take either of those courses. The obvious way was straight ahead of the turnstiles where a tunnel under the middle of the west stand gave access to pens 3 and 4. Above the entrance in large letters was the word “Standing” and a large letter B. Thus B ticket holders were drawn towards the tunnel.”

Paragraph 171
    “At Cup semi finals.. all the pens were opened from the start and the policy was to let fans “find their own level”. This phrase was repeated again and again by police officers at the inquiry. What it meant was that no specific direction was given to fans entering through the turnstiles. They were free to go wherever they wished on the terraces. If they became uncomfortable or wished for any other reason to move their position, then theoretically they could move elsewhere. In this was it was hoped that the fans on the terraces would level themselves out and that the distribution would be achieved without police intervention. On these occasions the gates at the top of the radial fences were locked in the open position. It was sought to argue, therefore, that there was freedom of movement from one pen to another enabling fans to “find their level”.”

Paragraph 172
    “This argument was bad both in theory and in practice, In theory, the whole object of radial fences had been to achieve even distribution by directing fans into desired positions. To say then that they could move freely from one pen to another would defeat the object and enable fans to go from a less popular to a more popular area without inhibition. In practice this did not happen because the position and size of the gates was such that once a substantial number of spectators were in, the gates were unnoticeable and inaccessible especially to those towards the front who might have most need of them”.

Paragraph 183
    “…Whilst in theory the police would intervene if a pen became “full”, in practice they permitted the test of fullness to be what the fans would tolerate”.

and finally, some context as to why people still feel upset about it, especially of someone blames them for it without providing any evidence

Paragraph 257
    “Before this inquiry began, there were stories reported in the press, and said to have emanated from police officers present at the match, of “mass drunkenness”. It was said that drunken fans urinated on the police while they were pulling the dead and injured out, that others had even urinated on the bodies of the dead and stolen their belongings. Not a single witness was called before the inquiry to support any of those allegations though every opportunity was afforded for any of the represented parties to have any witness called whom they wished. Those who made ‘the allegations’ would have done better to hold their peace.”

Paragraph 279
    “In all some 65 police officers gave oral evidence at the inquiry, Sadly I must report that for the most part the quality of their evidence was in inverse proportion to their rank.”

Paragraph 280
    “With some notable exceptions, the senior police officers in command were defensive and evasive witnesses.”

Paragraph 283
    “Most surprisingly he (Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield) gave Mr Kelly and others reason to think there had been an inrush due to Liverpool fans forcing open a gate. This was not only untruthful, it set off a widely reported allegation against the supporters which caused grave offence and distress.”

Paragraph 285
    “It is a matter of regret that at the hearing, and in their submissions, The South Yorkshire Police were not prepared to concede they were in any respect at fault in what had occurred”.

Paragraph 255
    “Many fans who escaped onto the pitch alive were in a state of collapse or close to it. Most of those who retained their strength strove magnificently to assist the victims. They helped pull them clear; they helped with first aid; they helped carry the improvised stretchers.”

When ranting about the fact that Liverpool wanted to move the date of their game against Real Madrid, Cohen explicitly asserted that the Hillsborough disaster was the fault of Liverpool fans, but didn’t elaborate except for his 6-8000 ticketless fans claim. When corrected, he changed his position to “shared responsibility”.

58. Big United says:

Joe thanks that was very informative

59. Think Free says:

Several Football factions (I say Hooligans) have used the WSD debate to promote themselves, their blogs,website and podcast in the name of ‘justice’. Many of the advertisers are now advertising on these websites. It’s really rotten to the core whats has happened…these people they know exactly who they are and have moved this Sport backwards at least 5 years.

I hope the American Soccer fans will be well served by this new venture. Sadly WSD is no more and the new version seems like it’s starting over from zero.

-tf-

• shanklyboy says:

Who would these ‘factions’ be, where are these websites , blogs and podcasts and what are they doing to promote themselves?

• Think Free says:

work it out for yourself… you have lots of free time when your not attacking children on facebook or bullying people on internet chat board for not agreeing with your specific point of view.

the soccer community is well aware of the hoards of crazed and delusional so called liverpool supporters who lay in wait to pounce and attack any and all using sinister tactics from a by gone era. this anti-footbal behavior is designed to somehow elevate your purpose within your own community…

so cultist.. report to your cult members.. by cutting and pasting and laughing about the ‘unrighteous’ over a Pint and a Fag at some dingy bar.

-tf-

• Gaz says:

I really can’t think of anything less sinister and more mundane than not listening to a show and emailing sponsors. Is that really your idea of sinister?

But you’re right… we do hate freedom and children. Oh, and we LOVE to pounce.

• Think Free says:

Think Free for the ‘win’. My job is done here.

Be on the look out for more crazed liverpool fans on chat boards and facebook posing as 12 years old. This cult won’t stop until the convert you…

-tf-

• shanklyboy says:

So what you are saying is that you have no proof and this is merely your considered opinion.
          As far as I can see there is only one internet warrior here and he certainly doesn’t have a Liverbird on his chest.
          I think my crazed,delusional little man that there is only one person I can see with a serious problem.

In all honesty you need to get some professional help.

• Think Free says:

For all those out there in internet land.. this is what we call ‘projection’. Shanklygirls comments speak for ‘himself’… literally’… well done!

Do you notice Liverpool fans are sane.. everyone else needs ‘help’..I’m done here. -tf-

• Gaz says:

Back to the original question, though:
          What web sites, blogs, podcast, etc have used this incident to promote themselves? Don’t be coy and say something like, “figure it out”. Let us have it!

60. shanklyboy says:

That’s the 2nd time you’ve been ‘done here’.

Good look with the therapy.

61. Shakira Graham says:

I was hoping this would not be brought up again on EPL Talk after the ferver last time but I see this just won’t go away. It’s time to end this, it is what it is, people are not going to change thier minds. Why is this still being written about, i thought there would be no more articles in reguard to WSD after the last batch when this all broke, guess I was wrong.

62. LFCNY can EAT IT! says:

So Cohen’s comments and opinions were wrong but it’s ok for the SOS to chant Munich? Oh yeah thats right thats different because they are LFC fans.
    Liverpool is oh so innocent and their fans would never do anything wrong. Making death threats to children is sooo horrible and they would never do that right?

How about Justice for the 36? But oh thats right I have heard many times from the mouths of LFC fans that they were not to blame. But that lie goes un attested and un boycotted.

LFC fans aren’t so Innocent. I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HEYSEL!