Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Premiership Midseason Awards

200px Premierleague Premiership Midseason AwardsPhew. After a jampacked holiday schedule that came fast and furious, fans and players alike  now get a chance to catch their breath as the next round of games doesn’t come until the 12th. The Carling Cup semifinals and the 3rd Round of the FA Cup will have to tide everyone over until then and there should be some pretty good games in both competitions.I came out with a “Best of” list for the year 2007 the day after Christmas and got some interesting feedback on that. That list encompassed everything in the 2006-2007 season and what we’ve seen thus far in the ’07-’08 season, but my next endeavor is to hand out midseason awards for this year. I know it’s not exactly the halfway point in the season as teams have played either 20 or 21 league games, but I’ve always looked at midseason as the turn of the new year and that time has come.So, without further ado, here are my midseason awards for the 2007-2008 Barclays Premier League season:Most Outstanding Player: Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)Most Valuable Player: Cristiano RonaldoBest Striker: Nicholas Anelka (Bolton)Best Midfielder: Cristiano RonaldoBest Center Back: Jamie Carragher (Liverpool)Best Full Back: Gaël Clichy (Arsenal)Best Summer Signing: Fernando Torres (Liverpool)Worst Summer Signing: Florent Malouda (Chelsea)Most Improved Team: Manchester CityLeast Improved Team: NewcastleBiggest Surprise (Team; Best): Manchester CityBiggest Surprise (Player; Best): Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn)Biggest Surprise (Team; Worst): TottenhamBiggest Surprise (Player; Worst): Darren Bent (Tottenham)Best Goal: Sebastian Larsson (Birmingham); vs. Tottenham (12/02)Best Manager: Martin O’Neill (Aston Villa)Worst Manager: Sam Allardyce (Newcastle)Best Match: Chelsea-4, Aston Villa-4 (12/26)

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Premiership Midseason Awards

1. whollamellie says:

i think somehow your award is very much bias

2. Michael says:

Biased? Towards whom? Against whom?

You’ll see a lot of players from the “Big Four” there, but that’s because they’re the four best teams in the league. Am I supposed to give awards to players and teams that are near the bottom of the table?

3. JaBbA says:

Actually, I think the list is very good. I might argue with Best Striker, but I’m a little biased as a Pool fan, and Anelka is looking like he _should_ have at Anfield. I think Martin O’neill doesn’t get enough credit at Villa. I might put Elano as biggest surprise, but RSC absolutely is up there.

And as much as I can’t stand him, Ronaldo is an amazing player. I’d probably like him if he was wearing a different shade of red. :-)

4. TheScout says:

I don’t agree with your choice for worst manager.

I think it should go to someone like Lawrie Sanchez or Sammy Lee. Lee had Bolton dead last before Megson took over. Now with the same group of players, they are climbing their way back up the table. You could excuse Lee by saying he inherited a team and philosophy from Allardyce but Megson has gone back to what works with that group of players and that’s good management. Getting the most out of what you have.

Sanchez inherited an average squad from Chris Coleman, was given money to improve it and has actually taken the club a step backwards it seems. Sanchez spent £26.5 million in the summer window on 12 players, but could not get them to gel as a team. He was given half a season and it’ll be interesting to see if Hodgson can do any better.

I do think Allardyce deserves a bit of time before he’s completely relegated to the scrap heap. It takes a while to overhaul a team. He has spent money over the summer but at least Newcastle are sitting 11th. January is going to be tough for them as they play ManUtd and Arsenal and will be without Abdoulaye Faye, Habib Beye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins.

5. Michael says:

For worst manager, I only considered those who still had their job.

If that wasn’t the case, it would’ve been a dead heat between Billy Davies and Sammy Lee, with Lawrie Sanchez only a notch above those because he had considerable injuries and bad breaks to deal with.

6. TheScout says:

Ahh…OK. I better understand your rationale now.

7. get_bent99 says:

I think that MOP and MVP is pretty much the same thing anyway so there’s not really much point in giving two awards to Ronaldo. I agree with you on most of these awards. But best striker has got to be Adebayor or Torres. I think that Fabregas and Ashley Young has a shout at best midfielder as well. For best centerback I would say that Laursen, Dunne and Lescott did better than Carragher. Nugent and Halford were worst signings than Malouda. Although Santa Cruz did very well, I would consider him more as a best signing contender rather than a biggest surprise because he wasn’t really a bad player to start with. I would go with Flamini as the biggest surprise just because he ousted Brazil captain Gilberto from the starting lineup and pushed Arsenal to the top of the table. Elano is another option but if you knew about Elano before he was a very good player anyway and like Santa Cruz he is considered as a best summer signing contender. Either than this, you have everything else pretty much spot on. Although there is definitely more than one goal of the season contender but Larsson’s goal was also magnificent. And yes the 4-4 match between Chelsea and Villa was amazing right till the end.