Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Shut Up, Rolando Bianchi!

Bianchi Shut Up, Rolando Bianchi!  Take a look at this article that came out today on ESPNsoccernet about Manchester City striker Rolando Bianchi:ROME, Dec 28 (Reuters) – Italian striker Rolando Bianchi aims to reach double figures at Manchester City this season but does not plan staying in the Premier League in the long term.‘I hope to score at least 10 goals and I want to win a place in the next Champions League with City. It would be like winning the championship,’ he said in an interview published in La Gazzetta dello Sport on Friday.‘I want to become a European top scorer. After the 18 goals I scored with (Serie A side) Reggina, I want to reach double figures in the Premier League too.’Then I’ll pack my bags again and go in search of new adventures. I’d like to wear the shirt of Atletico Madrid and score 15 goals in the Primera Liga too.’He also said he planned to return to Italy soon because playing abroad was not helping his chances of winning a place with the Italian national team.The forward, who has scored four league goals since joining City in July, said he had trouble getting used to the British diet.’I have raised the white flag with English food. I don’t like it,’ he said.’I think I’m the only teetotal player in the Premier League. My team mates were surprised when I refused a beer. They looked at me as if I were an alien.’He also has his doubts about English refereeing:’In Italy the referee whistles as soon as a defender brushes against you. In the Premier League you don’t get a free kick even if the defender runs you over with a tank.’Wow. I don’t even know where to begin.I guess I’ll start by saying that if you’re lucky enough to play professional soccer, or any sport for a living for that matter, one would think that you’d appreciate that opportunity and not complain about it. I understand that that isn’t how things work in the real world; players have their gripes about certain things and I know that, I’m a player myself.But Bianchi crossed the line in this interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, a newspaper in his home country, Italy. First of all, he shouldn’t have gone public with his desire to basically leave Manchester City and go to Atletico Madrid or somewhere else in Spain if he can score 10 goals this season. Bianchi is 24 years old and in the soccer world, you’re supposed to be a little bit more mature and a lot less selfish at that age; you’re not a youngster or a kid anymore. Basically what he’s saying is that he just views playing soccer for City as a challenge, as another step in the ladder. He scored 18 goals with Reggina in Italy, he wants to score 10+ goals with City in England, and then he wants to go to Spain and do the same thing.This is selfishness to a tee. You don’t come out in the media and say that you’re in it for the individual glory of scoring goals; whether that’s what you care about or not, you stick with the team-first mantra and say you want to help achieve great things with that club.“I’ll pack my bags again and go in search of new adventures.” I’m sorry, you just can’t say that publicly. This will become a distraction because he’s putting himself above the rest of the team. If you’re going to boast about scoring goals and speak of your ambitions, at least be able to back that up on the field. Bianchi has not done that. He’s scored 4 goals in 14 Premier League games this season and is not even a regular starter for City.Bianchi also has the gall to complain about British food and refereeing. Granted, British food isn’t in the same caliber as Italian food (but then again, nothing is), and some of the refereeing has been shockingly bad this year. But come on! Bianchi had to have known these things before he came to City! It was his choice to come to England in the first place; he made the decision to leave home for greener pastures. I have no problem with that at all, but I do have a problem with whining about something he knew full well about or at the very least, should have known full well about.As I said before, he’s 24 years old now. He’s not a kid anymore but this interview brought him back down to that level. I haven’t heard younger, more productive foreign players like Nani and Fernando Torres come out in the media and say things like this. There was no reason for Bianchi to do what he did and there’s no excuse for it. If I was manager Sven Goran-Eriksson, I would have Bianchi on a plane out of England in January as soon as I could. It’s obvious he doesn’t want to be in England and he has no real desire to play for City, so why keep him on the roster?Things like this make me angry. Rolando Bianchi is a disgrace and I truly feel bad for Manchester City, who invested a lot of money in him and their faith won’t be rewarded.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Shut Up, Rolando Bianchi!

1. wanderer_abroad says:

I think you may be being a bit too harsh on Bianchi Gaff. Sure it was an idiotic and disrespectful thing to say but these tabloids rarely display the full nature of the interview. It would be unfair to judge Bianchi purely on the basis of this article. However, it is his form, rather than his ambition, that will probably result in his exit from City, and I suspect that exit will be fairly soon.

2. Ryan says:

‘I hope to score at least 10 goals” not if you keep missing chances like that one against Rovers Rolando!!

3. The Gaffer says:

Wanderer Abroad,

Naah, Michael (MJ) wrote the article, not me – but I do agree that Bianchi is an idiot. My biggest pet peeve about the quotes is Bianchi’s distaste for English food, which is a common stereotype but false one.

It’s the same in America. If you judged fast food as American cuisine, you’d say that Italian food was superior, but there are tons of great restaurants in America that don’t serve Italian food if you know where to look.

That’s a whole other debate for another time. : )

4. Kartik says:

The criticisms of both American and English cuisines are fair game. This is why so many southern European players and Latins also have had a hard time in PL among other reasons. Bianchi isn’t the first to mouth off in this manner. The issue of cuisine is important because if you go to any standard restaurant in England (outside London) as I have as someone who lives on spicy food I had a very hard time finding anything in the midlands or Lancashire worth eating if it wasn’t Indian food which I was trying to avoid having just come from India en route back to Florida. (This was ten years ago on a trip back from India where I went for 3 weeks- I then spent a week in England). If you are on a limited schedule like a footballer it isn’t easy in a place like Manchester to get the food southern Europeans are used to. Trust me on this one, unless things have changed radically in ten years.

As for wanting to score goals in Spain also, he has ambition and will NEVER play for Italy if he is in England or probably Spain either, but definetly not in England. As much as we love the PL my Italian acquaintances think it is rubbish and their coaches and national federation have the same bias. One Italian I know even said he’d rather choose a guy in MLS than the PL for the national team because the MLS is more latin in style and thus more reflective in international football than the presumed style in England. I don’t agree with him but just understand that bias exists. He’ll never get picked in England even if he scores 30 goals.

5. Michael says:

Kartik, I know that the issue of cuisine is important, obviously eating the food you’re accustomed to makes you feel more comfortable. I understand all that.

My point was that this is something he either knew about prior to coming to England or should have known about. He couldn’t have expected to have the same diet he had when he was playing for Reggina in Italy. If you’re living and playing in England and you’re foreign, you’re not going to be able to eat Italian food or whatever food you’ve grown up eating because that’s just now how it works.

You’re right about his desire to play for Italy; they are notorious for selecting players who play their domestic soccer in Italy and really are almost biased against players who play overseas unless they are simply too good to be held out of the squad. Bianchi is a fringe player though and probably will have to go back to Italy if he wants to remain in the national scene. That’s why I was surprised that he wants to move to Spain next; a move like that wouldn’t really help his chances either.

6. motionsuggests says:

Manchester City website says this is a fraudelent interview. Wouldn’t be suprised if it was made up.

7. tracey says:

Mercenary reveals he’s a mercenary shock!
    Grow up, he didn’t say anything that terrible , and would you rather he lied? Most players are self-serving, and a few naive or arrogant ones admit it in interviews like this. Drogba’s comments were far worse, but he’s been a rock for Chelsea this season, so your suggestions to put him on a plane are idiotic.

Ps. Can you please sign your articles so we know who’s writing.

PPS. English food is rubbish! (I’m English and live in England).

8. The Gaffer says:

Tracey,

I made the fix so all of the articles are now signed by the author who wrote them (immediately underneath the headline).

9. Michael says:

Tracey,

Actually, yes, I would rather him lie. As I said, I don’t have a problem wih him having ambition and wanting to be successful wherever he goes; I would expect that much out of a professional athlete.

What I do have a problem with is Bianchi voicing this in public the way he did. When you’re a part of a team, you stick to the team-before-self, team-first mantra. Whether you don’t really want to be there or not, you don’t become a distraction for the team by saying you’d like to move on. If you want to leave, keep that desire within the organization and don’t let the media get hold of it.

As you said, most players are arrogant and self-serving. That’s no excuse for being immature, especially when you’re 24 years old. What can anyone gain out of him saying he doesn’t like England? It makes Manchester City look bad because he says the players drink, it makes Sven look bad for bringing in a player who doesn’t really want to be there, and it makes Bianchi look incredibly selfish.

You’re English, so you may not understand this comparison. The prototypical way to avoid controversy in the media and in interviews is to go about the way the New England Patriots and their coach, Bill Belichick, do. There’s no real reason to ever give anything away to the media; so be as brief and succinct as possible and everything will be OK.

You mentioned Didier Drogba, and you’re right. He’ll be leaving Chelsea in the summer.

10. Ivan says:

I hope someone is reading this:
    Firstly, if you read the interview word for word you would probably understand it properly. The english happen to have a way of saying he said he didn’t imply. 1. His stated his ambition to play for atletico madrid, this is no different to drogba, cronaldo (incidentally has said he wanted to play for real madrid) or many players before them. 2. He doesnt drink, he said his finding it harder for him to feel part of the team because he hasn’t existed in a culture which includes drinking. 3. He said that referees allow more than they do in italy, that is true. 4. And he said he doesn’t like the food, which is fair enough.

He was talking to italian media in an interview he was asked questions and that is what he said… why people are pissed at him i have no idea.

11. Michael says:

Ivan, I’m fully capable of reading this interview and figuring out what he said without you decoding it for me, thanks.

The reason he didn’t have any reason to say these things is because it was completely unnecessary. No party involved had anything to gain from Bianchi talking to the media and he made his current club and manager look bad. The only thing Bianchi did was bring unnecessary controversy to his team and what’s worse is the fact that he doesn’t enough on the field to back his ambitions.

I have no problem with a player, any player, thinking these things. But there was no reason for him to voice them publicly to the media; as I said, it just made Bianchi look like a whiner, City look like a team full of alcoholics, and referees look incompetent.