The Day After: Some Random Thoughts About the Switzerland Match
With a night’s worth of perspective on yesterday’s 1-0 US victory over Switzerland, here are my thoughts.
- Maurice Edu was my man of the match and Bob Bradley deserves lots of credit to notice Edu’s value in training and to give him the start.
- Heath Pearce had a shaky summer and poor start to his career at Hansa Rostock, but he has been outstanding in the last two US friendlies against Brazil and Switzerland.
- Michael Bradley’s poise and maturity continues to be amazing for someone of his youth.
- Taylor Twellman needs to focus on his club football and prove he can set himself so far apart from every other American striker in MLS before he gets another call up.
- Eddie Lewis isn’t going to be around for World Cup 2010 but he like Frankie Hedjuk has proven he still has a role in qualifying for this team even at 33.
- Freddy Adu can be a game changer for the US as a late game substitute who adds pace and flair to the attack. Switzerland became much more tentative going forward after Adu entered the match.
- Danny Szetela was solid and gave a great cross to set up the goal, but I still want his position long term to be sorted out.
- Clint Dempsey is a much better option in the withdrawn striker role than Landon Donovan
- Brad Guzan still scares me, but he seems like he is playing with confidence which is important for a keeper.
- I’m not sure I like Benny Feilhaber on the right side, but Bradley seems to want him to play out there often which leads me to wonder what Landon Donovan’s future position with the National Team is.
- Danny Califf was a rock in the central defense. Perhaps Bruce Arena should not have stopped calling him into the team when he had the audacity to leave MLS to play in Europe.
- A great victory that should boost the confidence of all American fans!