Greenpeace activists disrupted the UEFA Champions League match between FC Basel and Schalke today to protest against Schalke’s main sponsor Gazprom.
The match was temporarily stopped while the activists were removed from the stadium, but was restarted after order was restored.
The protest is focused on trying to stop Russian energy company Gazprom from polluting the Arctic, as well as the campaign by Greenpeace to free the 30 protesters who were put behind bars for a peaceful protest against dangerous oil drilling.
According to Greenpeace, “The Arctic is in danger: Gazprom wants to drill for oil in the icy waters. An oil spill is only a matter of time.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo