As the lead commentator for ESPN’s coverage and a long-time world feed broadcaster of the German top flight, few have Derek Rae’s knowledge of the Bundesliga.
World Soccer Talk had the chance to have a phone call with Rae to break down his predictions for the 2022/23 Bundesliga campaign. While not an official table, Rae did offer some insights into what the season may hold.
Derek Rae talks 2022/23 Bundesliga season
The conversation touches on a variety of topics within the league. At the top of the table, Derek Rae does not see the monopoly of domination from Bayern Munich changing. Despite losing its talisman in Robert Lewandowski, the depth is simply too much to match as of now. Borussia Dortmund, on the other hand, is already facing some poor luck. Sebastian Haller, the new striker replacing Erling Haaland at the top of the line, is set to miss time after the discovery of a tumor.
The common focus of the Bundesliga is on Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. However, in Derek Rae’s Bundesliga chat, he talks about the battle at the bottom of the table, as well.
Schalke 04 and Werder Bremen make a return to the Bundesliga. Yet, safety is far from guaranteed. Derek Rae predicts that a number of teams could be under the microscope as they look to stay alive in the Bundesliga this season.
ESPN coverage of the Bundesliga
The interview above also touches on ESPN’s continued coverage of the Bundesliga.
Rae is the voice behind ESPN’s major weekend with the Bundesliga. Now in its third year of broadcasting the league, ESPN welcomes back the likes of Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in a big way. With pitch-side coverage from Frankfurt and Dortmund on Friday and Saturday, respectively, the Bundesliga is officially back.
On both Friday and Saturday, Derek Rae is on the call. For Friday’s fixture, Bayern Munich, the “Rekordmeister” of the Bundesliga, takes on the 2021/22 Europa League champions, Eintracht Frankfurt. Coverage of Friday’s game is on ESPN+ and ESPN Deportes, exclusively.
Then, on Saturday, ABC is the channel of Derek Rae. He calls Borussia Dortmund’s battle hosting Bayer Leverkusen. The game on ABC is also available on ESPN+ and ESPN Deportes.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV
- Where to find LAFC vs. DC United on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Manchester United on US TV
- Where to find Bayern Munich vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Vlahovic double sinks Sassuolo, Osimhen abused in Verona rout