Manchester (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Argentine international defender Lisandro Martinez is set to become Manchester United’s third signing of the transfer window after the English giants agreed a deal with Ajax on Sunday.
Ajax confirmed United will pay an initial 57 million euros ($57 million, £48 million) with a further 10 million euros in performance-related bonuses.
“Manchester United is delighted to announce the club has reached agreement with Ajax for the transfer of Argentine international defender Lisandro Martinez, subject to medical, to player terms being finalised, and to UK visa requirements,” United said in a statement.
Martinez is set to be reunited with his former boss Erik ten Hag at Old Trafford.
Ten Hag has already added midfielder Christian Eriksen and left-back Tyrell Malacia to a squad that finished a disappointing sixth in the Premier League last year.
Martinez moved to Ajax from Defensa y Justicia in his homeland, winning two Eredivisie titles and helping the Dutch champions reach the last 16 of the Champions League last season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo