Cairo (AFP) – Egypt has named Rui Vitoria, formerly of Portugal’s Benfica, as the coach for its national team after Ehab Galal was sacked, according to a statement on Tuesday.
“The Egyptian Football Association has reached a final deal with Portuguese Rui Vitoria to lead the Egyptian national team for the next four years,” the association wrote on Twitter.
Egyptian media reports said the Portuguese coach, who led Benfica to the Primeira Liga title in 2016 and 2017, would earn 2.4 million euros annually under the contract.
Former coach Galal was dismissed on June 16 after the Pharaohs slipped to a shock 2-0 defeat by Ethiopia in the qualifiers for the upcoming African Cup of Nations.
His stint lasted a mere two months after taking over from Carlos Queiroz who led Egypt to the AFCON final which they lost to Senegal in February.
Egypt lost to Senegal again under Queiroz in African play-off for a place at this year’s World Cup in Qatar.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season