Manchester United Wins 2014 International Champions Cup [VIDEO]

The final game of the 2014 International Champions Cup was played between Manchester United and Liverpool, with United ending victorious after coming back to beat Liverpool 3-1.

The rainy Sun Life Stadium in Miami played host to over 51,000 fans as the eight-team tournament came to a close, finishing up the exciting second International Champions Cup tournament.

The first half was slow as both teams shared mostly equal possession, with the only goal coming from a penalty kick taken by Steven Gerrard in the 14th minute. Phil Jones brought Raheem Sterling down in the box as Liverpool’s offense made a charge at the goal. A few more shots on goal closed out the first half with neither team being able to capitalize, including a particularly good save from United goalkeeper David De Gea in the 24th minute.

After a performance by Martin Garrix at halftime, the second half started off with both sides playing more up-tempo offenses. In the 55th minute, Ander Herrera won the ball in midfield and linked up with Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez who sent the ball to Wayne Rooney, who hit the ball first time into the corner of Liverpool’s net. Only two minutes after Rooney’s goal, Luke Shaw found Juan Mata in the middle of the box. Mata’s shot was then deflected off Liverpool’s Mamadou Sakho into the goal.

In the 65th minute, Manchester United’s Ashley Young took a long range shot at the goal but it bounced off the top of the net (behind the crossbar) back on to the pitch and into the path of Rooney, who knocked the ball into the back of the net. Referee Mark Geiger awarded a goal to United, much to the protest of the Liverpool players, but Geiger changed his decision after speaking to the fourth official who explained that the ball had gone out of play after Young’s shot hit the top back of the net, making the ball technically out of bounds.

Manchester United continued to charge at Liverpool’s goal and missed a few opportunities. However the final goal was scored in the last minutes of regular time when a cross was sent to Shinji Kagawa who tried to settle it but sent the ball through his legs to Jesse Lingard who scored in the 88th minute. In the final three minutes of added time Liverpool made several attempts at goal with Sterling spearheading the attacks, but the Reds were unable to score. Manchester United held on to win the tournament 3-1.

Pages 1 2

One Response

  1. Rob August 5, 2014

Leave a Reply