WED, 2:45PM ET
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

FOX Renames FOXSoccer.tv to FOX Soccer 2Go

fox soccer 2go logo FOX Renames FOXSoccer.tv to FOX Soccer 2Go

FOX has renamed its FOXSoccer.tv broadband streaming service to FOX Soccer 2Go. The name change means that the iPhone app, iPad app and now web service all feature the same consistent name.

The FOX Soccer 2Go features, benefits and pricing remain the same. The only change has been that the website has replaced the FOXSoccer.tv logos and messaging with FOX Soccer 2Go. If you visit FOXSoccer.tv, it’ll redirect to FOXSoccer2Go.com.

The broadband streaming service from FOX has morphed a lot during its long history. In March 2010, FOX began streaming select live Premier League matches online after acquiring rights from Setanta US, where Setanta had previously shown live games on its Setanta-i product. At that time, FOX had partnered with a company named RayV, which produced disastrous results during the March 2010 live streaming of Manchester United against Liverpool.

During the summer of 2010, FOX relaunched FOXSoccer.tv after partnering with Perform, who is their current video provider. In October 2010, a FOXSoccer.tv iPhone app was launched to allow subscribers to watch games. And in the summer of 2011, the FOX Soccer 2Go iPad app was released.

Despite a lot of fanfare, many subscribers experienced technical issues with FOXSoccer.tv during August and September of 2011, which were exacerbated by the price increase from $14.95 to $19.99 per month.

However, since September 2011 the technical issues have been addressed and I can’t even remember the last time I encountered any issues with the service. FOXSoccer.tv, now renamed FOX Soccer 2Go, has become a godsend for me so I can be sure that I can watch every Premier League game (since my local cable company doesn’t offer FOX Soccer Plus). I now watch more soccer games online using FOX Soccer 2Go than I do watching television. If you’re as mad about soccer as I am, I highly recommend it.

Goodbye FOXSoccer.tv, welcome FOX Soccer 2Go.

This entry was posted in FOXSoccer.tv, Leagues: EPL, Setanta. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to FOX Renames FOXSoccer.tv to FOX Soccer 2Go

1. Dools says:

Any word on an android app? Foxsoccer.tv or 2go does work in the browser, but it’s clunky.

2. Yespage says:

I noticed while watching Foxsoccer.tv, that my CPU usage was through the roof. It occurred to me that my computer, thanks to MS Vista wasn’t really capable of handling the stream. I got a new laptop in December with Windows 7 (which I believe has a technically slower processor, but a quad-core), and for the most part, the streaming has been greatly improved. I rarely go below the 2.4 Mbps stream rate and the Monet version of the EPL rarely pops up anymore.

It was looking grave early this season, but fs.tv seems to have found its footing, thankfully!

3. Lucas says:

Hey. Love the foxsoccer app on ipad. any words on when they will add the video on demand on the ipad?

4. Matt says:

They should rename the price to $10 a month

5. Harry says:

Foxsoccer.tv has improved a lot but occassionally there are still issues with the stream. If you use an iPad or other mobile device then the cost of $19.99/month could be worth it. If you don’t own a mobile device then by paying the $19.99/month charge you are subsidizing those that use the service. I find that unfair. Anyway, if you don’t get Fox Soccer Plus then it’s worth getting Fox Soccer 2 Go.

6. Lee says:

It should be renamed Fox soccer 2 expensive. Or Foxsoccer.cant-show-the-big-matches.

Maybe i’m being harsh, but i just do not see the luxury here. If you don’t have the Fox soccer channel, then it doesn’t matter if you get this because you miss the big matches.

Worthless to me until otherwise.

• The Gaffer says:

Lee, it’s all subjective. For me, FOX Soccer 2Go is vital because:

1) I can get to see all of the Premier League matches, not just the big games on FOX Soccer and ESPN2

2) I get to watch Carling Cup games, FA Cup matches, and Championship games,

3) I can guarantee that I’ll see all of the Swansea matches this season, and

4) My cable company doesn’t offer FOX Soccer Plus, so FOX Soccer 2Go is a must-have for me.

I realize it’s not for everyone, but at $20 a month (65 cents per day), it’s well worth it considering the amount of live soccer I watch each month.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Agreed, Gaffy. I catch 3-4 games a week on FS.TV and it works out to about $1.40 per game. As a reminder, a movie ticket is over $10 these days.

7. Ron says:

I returned my new iPhone when the FoxSoccer2Go app refused to produce any audio (yes I tried everything and the “help” that I received from customer service was hilariously bad). I guess Flash is bad but at least I can watch the games on my android phone when I need to — with audio. Haven’t really had any problems with the non-app site itself since the initial screw ups.

8. Chico says:

Have to agree with the negative posts…the delay of the big matches is enough to skip, the fact that it only shows live matches (no replays) on iPad was the deal breaker for me. If they would fix the iPad problem I’d reconsider.

• The Gaffer says:

The matches shown live on FOX Soccer are delayed to midnight for a good reason. If they were all shown live on FOX Soccer 2Go, what do you think would happen to the number of FOX Soccer subscribers? The TV network is the flagship of FOX Soccer, so I’m sure they view it as very strategic to increase subscribers, not decrease them.

I agree regarding the iPad concern. Those games should be available on replay.

• Yespage says:

Well, it could be argued that at $20 a pop… Fox could probably afford to lose the FSC channel! People don’t pay $20 for HBO, and that shows programming 24/7.

I do think that $20 is a reasonable amount to be able to watch most of the games live, and this ignores Rugby and the other content. They probably should call the App Fox 2GO Live, however, because they don’t have replay options.

• Adam says:

You should amend your article; the first sentence makes one infer that replays are available on the iPad app, which of course they are not.

I sent FOX an internet to let them know once they have full functionality on their iOS apps, I would subscribe. Until then I’ll watch for free elsewhere.

• Adam says:

My bad; I meant to comment on an August article you wrote which obviously would be superseded by this one. Please delete my comment and ignore me in perpetuity. ;)

9. CTBlues says:

They need to get this on Android, Roku, and PS3.

10. Titmsman says:

I heard rumors about PS3 availability. Any truth to it?

11. Prince says:

If fox reduce the price, I’ll sign up in a heartbeat but not at the current prices

12. Chico says:

Regarding the delay, so what if it takes people away from the cable channel? Why can’t they just include the same advertising on the web feed as they do on the cable channel? They can measure web audiences just as accurately (probably much more accurately) as cable. I think the majority of people would be happy to pay to see LIVE games with advertising for a reasonable price. If this could just happen I think most the of underground streaming sites would just disappear…but maybe I’m naive about the financial aspects of it all.

13. eplnfl says:

All in all a big fan of the EPL should opt for Fox Soccer 2Go. With the bigger selection of games available to watch live and then later on demand its not a great economic choice to go with the cable version. Also you have your options on the various mobile platforms. With ESPN now in the mix and various other options such as gamecasts or live radio cutting the cable cord is a smart choice.

I still have some issues during the peak Saturday hours but may be its that at times I use some older systems to watch as spoken about above. The only draw back right now as I see it is the lack of the on demand service on the mobile platforms. Lets hope that changes soon since it does not appear to be a technical issue.

14. William says:

Wow, what a terrible idea. At least, the naming part. Fox Soccer 2Go brings bad thoughts, since the iPad app has been awful. (I’m in a similar boat as The Gaffer: No cable.)

Why not take this as an opportunity to rebrand the entire Fox Soccer distribution community, and make a clean break from the crap that’s previously been produced?

A big ‘meh’ from me.

15. tim says:

Anyone else notice FoxSoccer2Go has been down lately for on-demand matches? Great….

16. Bob O'S says:

Gaff, is your link to the FS2Go site an affiliate link? I noticed that all of your links to their site have a “?WT.mc_id=AFF_EPLTALK” tag on the end.

I’ll vote with the people that the service is too flaky and to expensive. Delaying important games is buggy whip thinking that doesn’t do a thing to drive cable subscribers, it simply drives us to the pirate streams.

• The Gaffer says:

It is, but I’ve decided to end the affiliate relationship so there’s no conflict of interest.

17. Greg says:

Who launches an app without inluding the market leading android version? Sounds like an ill thought out idea that is expensive and does not work that well. I will pass then.

• The Gaffer says:

Most companies release iPhone apps first and then release Android apps later. It’s quite common.

18. Naija says:

I subscribed and lack of the really good matches and you can’t watch the replay or On-demand as they call it will make me cancel my subscription at the end of the year.

• Naija says:

I meant On-Demand on iPad,if the can stream live to iPad I don’t see why they could not do the same for On-demand.

19. Scott says:

I had a group of friends over to watch to watch the Madrid v Bayern match and we ended up settling for highlights because I simply could not sign in. After several attempts at troubleshooting the problem with their inane tech support I decided this service was not for me. I asked for my subscription to be cancelled and since I hadn’t even signed in I asked for a refund of my first month’s fee. Now after numerous attempts they have not only failed to refund me, but have failed to cancel my account and have charged me every month since then. I would not recommend this service to anyone due to the technical issues and more importantly the unethical busines practices of the company.