WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Fox Soccer Channel Cancels Soccer Talk Live

Kyle Martino STL Fox Soccer Channel Cancels Soccer Talk Live

Fox Soccer Channel has canceled Soccer Talk Live, its weekly talk show featuring host Kyle Martino. The show debuted in August and lasted less than three months before the network decided to pull the plug.

“I’m thankful for everybody who helped bring Soccer Talk Live from concept to reality,” said Fox Soccer Channel’s General Manager David Nathanson. “Fox Soccer Channel has canceled the show as we look for new ways to maximize ratings and audience engagement. We plan to continue featuring Kyle Martino – a true rising star in sports broadcasting – within future Fox Soccer Channel productions.”

Martino, on his Twitter account, mentioned that “Yes, we are taking [Soccer Talk Live] off the air. We [are] going to use the experience along with your suggestions to create a better show.”

No news yet on when the new show will launch or how it’ll be different.

Soccer Talk Live will be remembered for plenty of highs and lows. Some of the highs included a great interview with Joe Scarborough of MSNBC about his passion for Liverpool, a candid interview with Landon Donovan and an interesting discussion with NFL player (and soccer fan) Chad Ochocinco. The lows, and boy there were many of them, included Temryss Lane’s segments, Cobi Jones being too politically correct, Martino’s pronunciation of Sampdoria, sidekick Brendan Hunt adding little to nothing to the show and Susan Sarandon knowing nothing about soccer.

What about you? What will be your lasting memories (good or bad) of Soccer Talk Live?

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Fox Soccer Channel Cancels Soccer Talk Live

1. Matt says:

My lasting memory of the show? Boredom.

2. Trevor says:

Not at all surprised that a poorly produced show with a ill-informed goal(converting non-soccer fans on a soccer channel) didn’t last long.

3. soonerscotty says:

Thank the Gods!!

4. MrTuktoyaktuk says:

Do I want more original soccer programming? Yes. Even “lifestyle/world of footie” type programming? Yes.Will I miss STL? No.

We need something like the FIFA Football Mundial show, but with domestic stories.

5. Miak says:

Sucks that Cohen was such an A-hole, truth is their show was miles better than the dross that FSC served up to replace it.

• I find it ridiculous that FSC doesn’t think to just go find another opinionated pundit. Compared to the others at FSC, Cohen was good at what he did, but he’s far from the only person out there with an interesting (or at least strong) opinion and the knowledge to back it up. Just because Cohen ultimately went too far shouldn’t prevent FSC from trying to recapture what worked, because everything they’ve tried since has failed miserably.

6. Matt says:

Well you can thank Mr. EPL Talk for leading the charge to get Cohen shitcanned. You reap what you sow.

7. olivert says:

What really surprised me was FSI’s decision NOT to take any content from Premier League TV, the 24/7 high-definition video service that Premier League Productions is producing in conjunction with IMG Sports Media and its primary client, Abu Dhabi Media Company.

(AD Sports 5 HD simulcasts Premier League TV 24/7 in the Middle East and Northern Africa.)

Premier League TV is professionally produced, with experienced production staff and well-known on camera talent such as John Dykes (former soccer presenter on the networks of ESPN STAR Sports in Asia) and Georgie Bingham (former anchor of Sky Sports News in the U.K. and SportsCenter Africa on ESPN Africa.)

8. Smokey Bacon says:

Bring back FFF for one hour at a sensible time e.g. Monday’s at 10.00pm eastern. Webster & Bingham. Sorted.

9. JT says:

The show was HORRIBLE. Bring back Nick Webster.

10. Chris says:

fsc has been going down the shitter for a while now, doubt the slide stops anytime soon. i cant wait for a 24/7 bottom line during epl games. more pop up ads too.

11. dlink09 says:

i just watched 2 minutes..

12. Tayo says:

Best Decision ever made by Fox, I mean we all knew it was not going to last…

13. David says:

What a very sad day. I don’t know what I’m going to miss the most. Temryss Lane’s segment or the soccer knowledgeable guests such as Susan Sarandon or Elisabeth Shue.

14. Fernando says:

For a channel devoted to 24/7 football coverage, the people of FSC still do not know how to create original programming. I find that kind of sad.

The games are the real reason we watch FSC and the channel has found no formula to keep us watching during the week. By axing Sky Sports News during the week to the 2AM eastern show only, they are doing a giant dis-service to all their viewers.

Fox Soccer Report use to be tolerable programming but once the anchors decided to become comedians the show ceased to be watchable. That show reflects the real effort of FSC into original programming: cheap, stale and not very interesting.

15. Sammy says:

Bring back Steven Cohen. He is simply the best. All others pale in comparison.

16. bigdumbgod says:

STL made FFF look like Emmy-winning material. Dreadful. And if there’s not enough game coverage midweek, might as well role out some more Fanzone editions.

17. Danny says:

Thank God this crap is finally off the air. After watching the first show… Wait I mean first minute I couldn’t bare to watch this poorly rated show any longer. They hardly talk about what the show is suppose to be about and that’s FUTEBOL. I wish FSC can bring back FFF, but when I say FFF I mean the old school FFF with Steven Cohen and Nick Geber.

18. Paul says:

I won’t be as harsh as some of the other comments, but STL just did not meet the standard of professional television. Honestyl, I have seen better programming from high schooler’s. Also, I did not even care for Temryss Lane when she was on FFF. It was something about her raspy voice that made her hard to listen to. I do miss Nick Webster. I did see in the credits he still produces or directs the Championships League pre-game shows. I agree with Fernando, I watch FSC for the games. What I would like to see is a show with a story of opposing teams in training leading up to game day. I enjoy the process.

19. Rafael says:

Cohen is still doing it daily… on a much more massive scale at world football daily. their mls coverage this season alone has been brilliant! for example, they have been bringing on players and coaches from both clubs.

wfd is also rebuilding bridges with fsc having a couple of their pundits on the show again regularly.

keep up the good work epl talk. great discussion and debate on one of the most entertaining leagues in the world.

20. Gary says:

STL sucked big time! Need FFF back along with Cohen and Webster or anyone beside Kyle Martino. Temryss needs to stick to email, smile and were sexy clothes.

21. Mark says:

I am surprised it lasted this long. Really Awful. Bring back FFF with Cohen and Webster. At least they know the game, especially EPL and that is really the only reason we watch FSC. Sky Sports is great but on too late.